• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

RomanceDawn

Is the final boss that
golden goop thing that takes Olimar?
I'm debating whether to beat it now or go for my remaining fruit.

RomanceDawn

So my daughter and I finished the game this morning, and she started crying when
The ship takes off and all the Pikmin run out and look up to watch and Olimar says "Goodbye my comrades!" She is completely heartbroken-I think she thought they would go back with the Captains.

She turned to me, sobbing, with tears in her eyes and said "Is there going to be a Pikmin 4??"

That is the cutest thing ever! You've raised a girl with a loving soul.

I am a fan of ninty, but not a big fan of all their games. Never played a pikmin game before, and haven't enjoyed my WiiU at all since launch.

This game is one of the best I have ever played, I feel like I missed out on the franchise. I don't care for RTS, but this is so fun, and simple, yet it gets hard. I had to learn to split up the exporers and pikmin to get as much done as possible within the time limit. The final level and boss is a great test of all of your knowledge. Really, the last three bosses are my favorites.

I wish I could be detailed in my praise, but its a lot to express, I love this game so much.

And the graphics really made me feel like next gen has arrived. Even on the gamepad, it is just so beautiful.

Frodo

So my daughter and I finished the game this morning, and she started crying when
The ship takes off and all the Pikmin run out and look up to watch and Olimar says "Goodbye my comrades!" She is completely heartbroken-I think she thought they would go back with the Captains.

She turned to me, sobbing, with tears in her eyes and said "Is there going to be a Pikmin 4??"

Oh, dear! Poor thing!
It is kind of sad, though.

Let us hope we won't have to wait 10 years until Pikmin 4.

EEC84A14-82DE-4E79-BD48-59B6304B2A5B-8502-00000424D1AA7575_zps74278091.jpg
She's now drawing Pikmin for me. Here's a Rock Pikmin that carried a strawberry and got juice on him.

She's now drawing Pikmin for me. Here's a Rock Pikmin that carried a strawberry and got juice on him.

Dawwwwwwwwwww.

My moment of the young generation so far: marching up the branch at the beginning of the last level, with a thick sense of foreboding, and then all of my Pikmin start happily singing pieces of the main title theme.

My little bros.

In case anyone is wondering, the singing triggers whenever you have 20 of each type of pikmin following a captain.

It happened in pikmin 2 as well (They sang Ai no Uta)

Shaanyboi

Banned

Your daughter sounds like an angel. That is absolutely adorable.

There damn well better be a Pikmin 4

RomanceDawn

I beat it before I got all the fruit but it least it appears I can go back. At the very least I'll just restart again since I know what's up. I still need all th secret messages as well.

That was a great game! Is anyone else creeped out by the Pikmin and observations some of the characters make of them? Is there anywhere I can read all the data entries and stuff from all 3 titles?

Amikami

Banned

Amikami understands. Tell her Amikami had same reaction.

My daughter wants to be a Flying Pikmin for Halloween and she wants me to be Captain Charlie. Too bad they don't sell costumes!!

Awww. Your daughter sounds adorable.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Aww, that's so sweet.

I am pretty that we will be seeing the Pikmin again especially how the 100% ending hints towards it.

Is the final boss that
golden goop thing that takes Olimar?
I'm debating whether to beat it now or go for my remaining fruit.

Go and get the remaining fruit first as you're getting close to the end.

Does the amount of fruit collected effect the ending?

Yes it does.

Vercimber

I have sunk about 100 hours into mission mode. This game is amazing. I recommend it to all Wii U owners, even if you didn't like the first two--or skipped them.

The longer i play it the more i'm falling love with it. The quality is through the roof. Truly an amazing game. I would love to encourage all WiiU owners to play it. It's one of the best games this year thus far imo. It's the perfect Pikmin game.

PureGone

Banned
I dont have a Wii U, one of my friend does and he was playing the game and he let me play and i had a lot of fun. So i want your honest opinion, is the rest of the game really fun, and is the Wii U going to get a price drop after next gen starts? I'm going to be busy with PS4 games anyway but i really want to play this game and a couple other Wii games i missed out on, so what do you think, how likely is a price drop?

CrisKre

I dont have a Wii U, one of my friend does and he was playing the game and he let me play and i had a lot of fun. So i want your honest opinion, is the rest of the game really fun, and is the Wii U going to get a price drop after next gen starts? I'm going to be busy with PS4 games anyway but i really want to play this game and a couple other Wii games i missed out on, so what do you think, how likely is a price drop?
It really is an incredible game that just keeps getting better and better as you progress through it. I guarantee you that if you sit down and start playing the game it will be immensely more satisfying than whatever your limited playing exposure to it will lead you to believe. Is One of those games which depths cant be appreciated by casually playing it. And wii u is getting a price cut in 13 days.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not in my personalized award ceremony. The most important one of the year
for me.

"It's just like the Pikmin we played 10 years ago. Same game but prettier, I guess" -games media professionals

the sad thing is, I'm not making this up, people are actually saying this or writing articles about it

The Wii U is getting a price drop when Wind Waker HD releases on September 20th.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just finished the game; beautiful stuff. Best non-Dota 2 game this year thus far. I will try and post a more comprehensive writeup later, but damn.

Easily the most elegantly designed game I've played in a long time. It is seamless.

Ending comments:

Is this implication that the Pikmin have more control than one would expect? They certainly benefit from these 'crashed' landings... Also: FUCK LOUIE.

Played 5 days so far. Impressions:
+fun SciFi/cutesy style
+gameplay as fun as ever
+first boss fight was awesome
-graphics not as good as I had had hoped. Nintendo really is far behind
-jibberish talk is really annoying and ruins the feel for me. I would knock off a full point for that lazy nonsense. Its 2013 Nintendo

All in all in having lots of fun with it.

NEO0MJ

-jibberish talk is really annoying and ruins the feel for me. I would knock off a full point for that lazy nonsense. Its 2013 Nintendo

All in all in having lots of fun with it.

Eh, I found it fitting and pretty cute in this game. Still, if they pull the gibberish in the next Zelda I would be disappointed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm fine with the (refined) gibberish talk in games like Pikmin. Not every game needs a bunch of voice actors whom may be annoying chatting constantly.

One of the worst things to come out of pushing "movie like" production on video games is the notion that every game needs voice acting.

I'm fine with the (refined) gibberish talk in games like Pikmin. Not every game needs a bunch of voice actors whom may be annoying chatting constantly.

One of the worst things to come out of pushing "movie like" production on video games is the notion that every game needs voice acting.

Which helps drive up the cost of games even more....

Oidisco

It's funny that just over a month ago I had never played a Pikmin game and didn't have much interest in the series.
Now I've finished Pikmin 3 twice, hunted down a copy of the 1st game and finished it in one weekend and I just got my copy of Pikmin 2 delivered after buying it on ebay. I'm even using Art Academy to draw lovely pictures of Pikmin.

I also spammed the hell outta Miiverse using the photo functionality.

I love this series!

It's funny that just over a month ago I had never played a Pikmin game and didn't have much interest in the series.
Now I've finished Pikmin 3 twice, hunted down a copy of the 1st game and finished it in one weekend and I just got my copy of Pikmin 2 delivered after buying it on ebay. I'm even using Art Academy to draw lovely pictures of Pikmin.

I also spammed the hell outta Miiverse using the photo functionality.

I love this series!

Secret best Nintendo franchise. Don't tell anybody.

Tell EVERYBODY.

Pikmin 2 is my favorite. Enjoy it.

hal9001

Banned
Okay so I caved in and got the game. Played for over 3 hours and so far its making a great impression. The graphics are really fluid and clean and the environments are vibrant with detail and colour. Solid gameplay and very fun.

kizmah

Nearing the end. Just opened up
Formidable Oak
but before I head over there I plan on getting all the fruit. 12 peaces left. Shouldn't be a problem now that I have my blues.

This game has been nothing short of amazing. Such a high quality-product all around. I'm really glad Nintendo took their time to polish and refine instead of pushing it out the launch-window. Best game on Wii U so far without a doubt.

I just beat the game. Are there any unlockables or anything? How do I play them? All I see when I go to story is my days and it says it's going to overwrite the save when that day ends. And how do I unlock more levels in Mission mode?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I just beat the game. Are there any unlockables or anything? How do I play them? All I see when I go to story is my days and it says it's going to overwrite the save when that day ends. And how do I unlock more levels in Mission mode?
Play the missions you already have. For bosses you have to beat them in the main game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I only have one mission. I already played it like 5 times. Do I need to get a certain score or something?

And how to get the picture taking mode?

You need to get at least a bronze to unlock the next one.

Picture taking mode was there from day 1, it's the camera icon in the lower-right corner of the GamePad while playing the main story mode.

If you want to play more of the story mode (like if you don't have all the fruit) just load the day prior to your "end" day, and keep playing. It will un-beat the final boss, but that doesn't really matter much. Just means you can't watch the ending without beating him again.

Top Bottom