• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Dennis

Banned
Controversial opinion of the day:

Stretch goal: 3 million, nothing new will be added at this level but we will push the release of the game to April 2015 and the money will be spent on wages to keep people working on the game until it shines.

As it stands now they have given themselves 19 months. To make a spiritual sequel to PS:T and BG2.......color me skeptical......

SerRodrik

Stretch goal: 3 million, nothing new will be added at this level but we will push the release of the game to April 2015 and the money will be spent on wages to keep people working on the game until it shines.

As it stands now they have given themselves 19 months. To make a spiritual sequel to PS:T and BG2.......color me skeptical......

At this point I never expect a Kickstarted game to come out at their initial predictions, because those are based on the game if they get the bare minimum amount of funding. As the scope grows, it's reasonable to expect it to get pushed back some.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
At this point I never expect a Kickstarted game to come out at their initial predictions, because those are based on the game if they get the bare minimum amount of funding. As the scope grows, it's reasonable to expect it to get pushed back some.

That is actually a really smart way to look at it.

Lancehead

Why do you think it can't happen? They're not doing much of voice work or cinematics or cutting edge graphical stuff. I think they can do it in 2 years.

How much were the development periods for those IE games?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

they produced New Vegas in this timeframe AND they have been working on this project for a few months.

marrec

Banned
Why do you think it can't happen? They're not doing much of voice work or cinematics or cutting edge graphical stuff. I think they can do it in 2 years.

They released BG2 23 months after releasing BG1, so there's that.

wrowa

Black Isle's releases

Fallout: 1997
Fallout 2: 1998
Planescape: Torment: 1999
Icewind Dale: 2000
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter 2001
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster 2001
Icewind Dale II 2002

I don't know if Black Isle had several different teams, but if the groundwork is done about 2 years for a game should be quite reasonable.

Asset production has got to be easier for a graphically-unambitious isometric game that may well be using 2D backdrops, and has limited voice acting, CG, etc.?

I'd be more worried about the man hours the writing team is going to have to put in if they're heading into Planescape territory.

Lancehead

Asset production has got to be easier for a graphically-unambitious isometric game that may well be using 2D backdrops, and has limited voice acting, CG, etc.?

I'd be more worried about the man hours the writing team is going to have to put in if they're heading into Planescape territory.

Oh yeah, Avellone said he'd ideally like an year to write up everything before going into designing mechanics.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Black Isle's releases

Fallout: 1997
Fallout 2: 1998
Planescape: Torment: 1999
Icewind Dale: 2000
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter 2001
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster 2001
Icewind Dale II 2002

I don't know if Black Isle had several different teams, but if the groundwork is done about 2 years for a game should be quite reasonable.

and IE had MUCH less advanced tools which were PITA to work with

There's always cut content, the point is New Vegas was "complete".

It's definitely complete, but it would have been much more interesting if they'd been given more time and didn't have to scrap certain aspects early on. With six more months they could have kept in all the post endgame quests and more importantly put in the Legion settlements to the East of the Colorado. The latter in particular is the game's achilles heel lore wise.

Lancehead

Arstechnica's article on the project: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...all-star-effort-to-revive-the-classic-pc-rpg/

Nothing really new. A couple of quotes, however.

"If souls are a real thing and souls really get reincarnated and folks can really use the power of their soul to do superhuman things, that's kind of a big deal," Sawyer said. "When we start to bear down more on individual cultures and the characters in them, we should be able to easily create a bunch of ideas for conflicts because we have a solid basis for how the world works."

"I think the reason a lot of fantasy storylines feel hollow is because we don't treat the worlds like real places nor the characters in them like real people. I believe the existence of fantastic elements is an opportunity to ask, 'How would this change things?' When we see how the fantastic changes our reality, and how it does not, I think it can help us consider why we are the way we are."

Lancehead

It's definitely complete, but it would have been much more interesting if they'd been given more time and didn't have to scrap certain aspects early on. With six more months they could have kept in all the post endgame quests and more importantly put in the Legion settlements to the East of the Colorado. The latter in particular is the game's achilles heel lore wise.

Sure, but that line of reasoning kinda takes us down a rabbit hole. Moreover, I don't believe more time spent invariably leads to better quality.

It'd have been great if Legion was expanded on in DLC, though, I agree.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Warms the ol' cockles every time I see Chris and Josh talk about this project. They're so obviously the best at what they do.

Vossler

Early adopter here...(got in for $20), but now I find myself thinking are they ever going to stop announcing stretch goals and actually get down to putting this thing together/out? I may be a little impatient here, but I would like to know some progress on the game/engine (newest update notwithstanding) instead of more stretch goals.

Lancehead

Early adopter here...(got in for $20), but now I find myself thinking are they ever going to stop announcing stretch goals and actually get down to putting this thing together/out? I may be a little impatient here, but I would like to know some progress on the game/engine (newest update notwithstanding) instead of more stretch goals.

They have many of the high-level design concepts established. Funding needs to go through before they can begin production, which means they really can't do much in that regard until after the funding period finishes.

are you serious? they announced the kickstarter one week ago and they didnt plan to get funded as quickly as they did. beyond that, they have announced quite a lot through the updates. i think you are being impatient.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

They're still in the process of raising funds. There is still quite a bit of time left for the kickstarter and the game isn't even scheduled for well over a year.

I actually recently re-finished it :p

Maybe we should all replay Arcanum.

OKAY FINE TWIST MY ARM WHY DONTCHA

Derrick01

Banned
I started replaying MotB recently. You should all join me in spirit. Eating.

I (stupidly) started playing it for the first time a day or two before Borderlands 2 came out. I did get through the really boring starting dungeon but I stopped in the town and haven't been able to pick it back up for now. But I like the mechanics and some of the crafting I was introduced even if I will likely never understand that genre's combat system and its numbers. I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Top Bottom