• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

zeioIIDX

EvilMario said:
So good. I had a Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64. And my friend bought one with Pilotwings only. Long after my 120 stars were collected in Mario, Pilotwings was still great to just aimless fly around.
I remember my dad preordering the N64 and when we got it, he bought Pilotwings 64. Over Super Mario 64. I was one pissed 10 year old. But the game actually rubbed off on me in a good way, it was just incredibly fun to waste time in as well as actually completing the missions. The world seemed so detailed and big at the time and even now if I load it up, it still amazes me...I seriously hope Nintendo releases some DLC for Pilotwings Resort. Pleeeeaase!

The locations in PW64 genuinely felt huge. I remember spending so much time just exploring them, especially the United States one.

Izayoi

Banned
Hopefully someone figures out a way to get unlimited Free Flight mode time.

I heard that there's a practice mode for some planes that gives you unlimited time. Is that true?

THis might be the place for my impressions then:

I've only just unlocked and played a few of the Platinium (final) tier challenges. But so far I am really enjoying it. The game is really charming, and especially the airplane controls are amazing. It has exactly enough give and take to it, that you feel in control but can't turn on a dime.

The different challenges are, so far, not that hard. You can two or three star (max is three) everything in the first or second go. But yes, the game is short. I unlocked the final tier in two-three hours, and I feel I'm gonna blow through the last tier in a hour or less.

Free flight has some stuff to find, but it seems fairly shallow to me.

In terms of 3D, it's really really good. It's probably the best experience so far between what I played (Nintendogs, Street Fighter and Pilotwings). Doing the sky dive mission really sells it, and having clouds come at you, or leaves from trees really makes it a much more interesting visual experience. And the jetpack looks fucking amazing in 3D.

Rikkun

Hold on, are you telling me that you can use only your mii?

A single map? And maybe no free flight? What about StreetPass, or unlockable content?

Really ashamed about this, I loved PilotWings on N64, its OST and everything, but this seems more similar to a Wii something.

I might really jump all day one games (no Steel Diver in EU) and pick up Okamiden.

BowieZ

Banned
Since it'll be $60+ in Australia, I think I'm just gonna rent this one for a week if/when I'm tired of all my other games.

Rikkun said:
Hold on, are you telling me that you can use only your mii?

A single map? And maybe no free flight? What about StreetPass, or unlockable content?

Really ashamed about this, I loved PilotWings on N64, its OST and everything, but this seems more similar to a Wii something.

I might really jump all day one games (no Steel Diver in EU) and pick up Okamiden.

Only Mii, there's free flight and you unlock stuff for free flight during the mission part.

Teknoman

Vinterbird said:
THis might be the place for my impressions then:

I've only just unlocked and played a few of the Platinium (final) tier challenges. But so far I am really enjoying it. The game is really charming, and especially the airplane controls are amazing. It has exactly enough give and take to it, that you feel in control but can't turn on a dime.

The different challenges are, so far, not that hard. You can two or three star (max is three) everything in the first or second go. But yes, the game is short. I unlocked the final tier in two-three hours, and I feel I'm gonna blow through the last tier in a hour or less.

Free flight has some stuff to find, but it seems fairly shallow to me.

In terms of 3D, it's really really good. It's probably the best experience so far between what I played (Nintendogs, Street Fighter and Pilotwings). Doing the sky dive mission really sells it, and having clouds come at you, or leaves from trees really makes it a much more interesting visual experience. And the jetpack looks fucking amazing in 3D.

Is the music similar to the SNES, N64, or a totally new soundtrack style?

Teknoman said:
Is the music similar to the SNES, N64, or a totally new soundtrack style?

I haven't played the SNES version, but it sounds like it's a reworked version of the N64 version in terms of style. It gave me flashbacks to back then.

Teknoman

Teppic said:
How do you control it, buttons or tilt?

Buttons.

Vinterbird said:
I haven't played the SNES version, but it sounds like it's a reworked version of the N64 version in terms of style. It gave me flashbacks to back then.

Cool, the N64 soundtrack was nice too (from what i've heard). SNES just has that classic 16-bit deep sound to it.

Teppic said:
How do you control it, buttons or tilt?

Slide pad for main controls. Tap the touch screen to zoom out on the map. The A-button is the boost/fly faster while B is for slowing down and Y is for shooting.

Teppic

Ah, I was hoping for some motion control type game. The flight mode in Wii Sports Resort really left me wanting for more.

If the Birdman-chillout song from PW64 isnt in, I'm out.

Also WTF I don't want a timed freeflight mode. Please don't make it so....

Naked Snake said:
The locations in PW64 genuinely felt huge. I remember spending so much time just exploring them, especially the United States one.

Ironically (in this context) named Little States. I have very fond memories exploring every nook and cranny of that world.

Peru

Mission- and gameplay-wise this is vintage quality stuff, the great fun-factor of Pilotwings. Vehicle-wise you actually get the best selection in the series so far, with great additions. And the game is very pretty. As for locations... yeah, it sucks with one location. Luckily I never played Wii Sports and hadn't explored the island before.

Rekubot

So what I'm gathering from reviews is that this is an excellent game but not long enough to justify spending £30 on it. Fair enough Nintendo, I'll wait.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should be worth the tenner I spent on it.

Made a rendition of the Rocketbelt theme, from the first Pilotwings, in WarioWare DIY in anticipation. Unfortunately this had the side effect of causing this song to loop in my mind all weekend.

Rekubot said:
So what I'm gathering from reviews is that this is an excellent game but not long enough to justify spending £30 on it. Fair enough Nintendo, I'll wait.

I'm honestly really loving it. But I can't recommend it if you thin it will be the only game you will play until post-e3. But if you have the spare money and is getting it with something else, I would recommend it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Rekubot said:

I pre-ordered the 3DS and SSFIV, I got it at amazon kinda want another game to play, was thinking of getting this but i think I will hold back until price drops also.

Rikkun

Vinterbird said:
Only Mii, there's free flight and you unlock stuff for free flight during the mission part.

hmm.. I can't really make a choice. I never finished Pilotwings 64 due to its difficulty, and I enjoyed using Birdman. I'd go with Okamiden, but buying a 3DS and having no 3D games seems a stupid move to me.

Thanks for the info btw :D

Vinterbird said:
But it's pretty fun...

I dont care, dont call it pilotwings. Call it "1/7th of wii sports resort"

At least for me, I barely spent time on the N64 missions. It was all about flying around the USA, taking pictures of nessie, shooting missiles at famous landmarks, trying to land on the boats near new orleans, trying to catch the space shuttle, refulling, shooting missiles at hoover dam etc etc.

And then the missions I did like were cannonball and missile missions. Sure, I played every other part of the game...but thats what kept me going back.

Still undecided whether to add this to Street Fighter and Ridge Racer as my launch games. I'll be buying it at some point though if not on day one.

jamesinclair said:

At least for me, I barely spent time on the N64 missions. It was all about flying around the USA, taking pictures of nessie, shooting missiles at famous landmarks, trying to land on the boats near new orleans, trying to catch the space shuttle, refulling, shooting missiles at hoover dam etc etc.

And then the missions I did like were cannonball and missile missions. Sure, I played every other part of the game...but thats what kept me going back.

Yeah, you're going to hate this game (and totally justified).

Rikkun

jamesinclair said:

Shooting at Wario's nose, anyone?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If it's over in 3 hours, the game should be available on second hand market no later than next week. I'll buy it if I can find it at half price.

Izayoi

Banned
marc^o^ said:
If it's over in 3 hours, the game should be available on second hand market no later than next week. I'll buy it if I can find it at half price.
You'll be able to. I'm thinking about dropping this for Rayman 3D as a day-one purchase depending on how the reviews for that turn out.

Never played the original so I figure now is as good a time as ever to try it out.

Rikkun

Izayoi said:
You'll be able to. I'm thinking about dropping this for Rayman 3D as a day-one purchase depending on how the reviews for that turn out.

Never played the original so I figure now is as good a time as ever to try it out.

I enjoyed it on N64 and PS, nice game.

About PWR.. local multiplayer/streetpass? Can you play with an only cartridge and enjoy everything or is it Mario Kart-like?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jufonuk said:
I pre-ordered the 3DS and SSFIV, I got it at amazon kinda want another game to play, was thinking of getting this but i think I will hold back until price drops also.
you do know this is Nintendo, right?

*checks price of 5 year old Mario Kart DS*
*and Nintendogs*
*and Super Mario DS*
*and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum*
*etc*

Nintendo doesn't drop their prices on games unless/until they do a greatest hits line.

LayLa

.. or unless the game is a sales flop *checks price of Metroid Other M*
anyway getting this for £10 so 3 hours of tech demo sounds ok to me.

Gravijah

borghe said:
you do know this is Nintendo, right?

*checks price of 5 year old Mario Kart DS*
*and Nintendogs*
*and Super Mario DS*
*and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum*
*etc*

Nintendo doesn't drop their prices on games unless/until they do a greatest hits line.

I personally don't see Pilotwings doing as well as any of those games, which means it might drop in price.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Getting this, and probably wouldn't get a 3DS if it wasn't there. Big nostalgia motivation.

However the price/content ratio is way off by the sounds of things.

Metro has a review here btw, which seems in line with the sentiments of others.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo should go for the volume and sell its games at half price from the start.
People would spend the same amount of money, but have more games, and enjoy their 3DS twice as much. What is the flaw of this equation?

Really disappointed in the scope of this game...I love Pilot Wings but Nintendo has given me no choice but to skip out on this title. Should have been a pack-in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
marc^o^ said:
Nintendo should go for the volume and sell its games at half price from the start.
People would spend the same amount of money, but have more games, and enjoy their 3DS twice as much. What is the flaw of this equation?

Not sure if serious, but if so, I suggest a revisit to Iwata's GDC speech and his notes on how games and work on games is valued.

Nintendo, I'm sure, considers €40 a fair valuation for Pilotwings despite its length.

In a way games like Pilotwings and Steel Diver may be a pointed 'F U' to the discount pricing strategy, a very unapologetic statement that 'yes, these games are worth €40 too'. But I don't know if anyone other than Nintendo could operate in such a bubble, and even they may not be able to sustain lighter experiences at these prices. I thought also by their comments they understood their system would have to offer 'bigger' experiences vs iOS et al, but maybe they're going to try and maintain a premium market for slighter games too, and that might be very tricky.

Emitan

The only game I have pre-ordered at the moment. I'll probably just RESORT to playing Pokemon, but hopefully this will keep me occupied for a week or so.

Gravijah said:
I personally don't see Pilotwings doing as well as any of those games, which means it might drop in price.

The only Nintendo game I know of in recent years that had a proper price-drop is Other M because that went bomba for Nintendo standards. Only matched by Call of Duty in pricing but even those games became cheaper after a longer time than usual.

borghe

yeah, Other M is the ONLY Nintendo title post-GCN that has seen a price drop. Pilotwings, as a technically competent, enjoyable (for what's there) launch showcase title... yeah, I simply don't see it happening.

Now more indicative might be Mario 64 or Mario Kart DS at Gamestop.. But even those are still $28 used.

heh, all of this talk actually has me MORE confident in my pre-order. I will say though that you might be a bit disappointed if Pilotwings is your ONLY pre-order for 3DS. Definitely buy it in addition to a game. Not as your sole game.

LevityNYC

Banned
I really want to buy this game....only I know i'm going to be disappointed in it. I really enjoyed the SNES game, but this game looks so much smaller.

borghe

Metallix said:
Didn't Wario Land: Shake It! drop in price?
MSRP on Amazon and Target is both $49.99. Price on Gstop is $19.99 new, but they don't have an MSRP listed. Of course neither Target nor Amazon has it at $49.99, but the MSRP still looks like it's full price.

I'm telling you guys... those waiting for a price drop on this are going to be waiting until the 3DS' successor.

This is one of the few games I've considered picking up with my 3DS next weekend but right now I'm still on the fence. I got a chance to play the game at Best Buy this weekend and while it was quite enjoyable I'm just not sure if it's worth full price for the amount of content I'm getting.

I might just end up getting the 3DS with no games until Zelda: OoT comes out. Then again there's always the off chance that I'll pick up SSFIV or Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. If only Ubisoft didn't have that ridiculous launch day embargo...

Top Bottom