• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuran said:
(Kind of want Excitebots on 3DS, it would be a great fit.)

I'm afraid it's time for the return of the king. Excitebots will have to wait.

iKh0g.jpg

camineet

Banned
This is THE game for ME to get for 3DS at launch. The original Pilotwings for SNES was the first Nintendo game I ever bought. It was late August 1991 when I got mine (launch).

I too hope for a remake of little America that was in Pilotwings 64.

Lkr

I was really on the hype train for the 3DS and unfortunately had to cancel my pre-order because I can't afford it right now. I played the demo at best buy and the 3D gave me a bit of a headache. I also couldn't see much of a difference between 3D and 2D. Hoping I was just doing something wrong though

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lkr said:
I was really on the hype train for the 3DS and unfortunately had to cancel my pre-order because I can't afford it right now. I played the demo at best buy and the 3D gave me a bit of a headache. I also couldn't see much of a difference between 3D and 2D. Hoping I was just doing something wrong though

I think once people are able to sit down with the system at home, and have time to play with the 3D slider to find their sweet spot.. that'll solve a lot of these issues. I'm sure there will be some that will never be comfortable with the 3D however. I hope I'm not in that group.

Neo Child

Banned
So gave this a shot yesterday at Game and was pretty impressed. I couldn't see anything when the 3D was at max but about half way was perfect for me.

Had never played a 3DS before and holy shit it was soo good, the 3D effect is mental - definately better than anything I've seen in the cinema and the console is suprisingly small and thin.

Lkr

Neo Child said:
So gave this a shot yesterday at Game and was pretty impressed. I couldn't see anything when the 3D was at max but about half way was perfect for me.

Had never played a 3DS before and holy shit it was soo good, the 3D effect is mental - definately better than anything I've seen in the cinema and the console is suprisingly small and thin.
ugh now you make me mad that I probably did it wrong. I put the slider all the way up and I couldn't see it at a great angle at best buy. :(

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Does anyone know the composer? Usually Nintendo SPD Production Group No.3 (the co-developer) does all their music for Monster Games collab projects.

Played it again at Best Buy today. So fun. 6 days to go!

The few songs I heard during BB demo plays remind me a lot of Chrono Trigger for some reason, I don't know why.

JodyAnthony said:
Played it again at Best Buy today. So fun. 6 days to go!

The few songs I heard during BB demo plays remind me a lot of Chrono Trigger for some reason, I don't know why.

Yeah, sounds like the fair music.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tom_Cody said:
I'm a bit surprised at all the hate for Nintendo's decision to only include one location.

At no point playing through Wii Sports Resort did I every become bored with the location. I definitely enjoyed the environment more as I became more familiar with the Island.

Have ya'll read Miyamoto's explanation of the "Island Concept"?

http://uk.wii.com/wii/en_GB/software/iwata_asks_wii_sports_resort_2200.html

I think that segment should be in the opening post of this thread.

I'm one of the few who are bitterly disappointed that the game is only set on Wuhu Island whilst totally appreciating the concept. I loved Wii Sports Resort and never once got bored with the settings, it felt perfect, like paradise and had a brilliant holiday feel to it.

But I spent so long there, particularly doing the flying challenges. It was like Pilotwings-lite to tide me over until the real Pilotwings.

And now the real Pilotwings is here and...its the same? Thats just wrong. I will spend half the game doing similar or identical challenges to those I'd already done. Everyone can that that is a real downer.

I'm gonna buy it and I'll probably really enjoy it but lets not pretend it could have and probably should have been more. If they were keeping it on Wuhu Island I'd expect a lot more vehicles/modes tbh.

I'm all for other games revisiting Wuhu Island, but not Pilotwings dammit, I've already flwn around the island for hours and Pilotwings is ALL about exploring the surroundings and traversing challenging landscapes. That snowy mountain that was really windy and steep anyone? How awesome was that?? We dont get that now. :(

Glix

[Nintex] said:
Bring back F-Zero Nintendo, in HD or in 3D, just bring it back :'(

In SD for the Wii, I don't fucking care.

The F-Zero pictured above is the best game Sega has developed in AGES.

Amir0x

Banned
F-Zero GX is imo the best racing game ever created. If they made something like that on 3DS for me on the go? I'd melt into a puddle of pure ecstasy. I'd be a light essence extending to a purer plane of existence.

Shit, I'll take F-Zero 3D classic download lol

[Nintex]

Amir0x said:
F-Zero GX is imo the best racing game ever created. If they made something like that on 3DS for me on the go? I'd melt into a puddle of pure ecstasy. I'd be a light essence extending to a purer plane of existence.

I would even take F-Zero on the PokeWalker and yes F-Zero GX is the best racer ever, my god it was so good that no one believed that Sega made it.

The GameCube is quite an odd console considering it got Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, The Wind Waker and other great games we can only dream about while rolling around in todays filth.

Teknoman

the-iek said:
I made a short video of the first few minutes of the game for my site. Although I'm talking like all the time, you can hear the music inbetween: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuiy_W3IpCM

Cool, more user videos would be nice.

EDIT: Soundtrack fears washed away. Man the glider theme is awesome. If the soundtrack maintains this quality for the rest of the game, we're in for a treat.

Could you guys record the first plane or rocket belt themes?

Amir0x said:

Even if the racers were Miis?

PKrockin

[Nintex] said:
I would even take F-Zero on the PokeWalker and yes F-Zero GX is the best racer ever, my god it was so good that no one believed that Sega made it.

Wait what?

You must be trolling me. No way.

Teknoman

PKrockin said:
Wait what?

You must be trolling me. No way.

Nintendo, Sega, and someone else. Wasnt it made using that Triforce arcade tech?

I just wish they put the true versions of the Mute City and Big Blue themes up first.

[Nintex]

Teknoman said:
Nintendo, Sega, and someone else. Wasnt it made using that Triforce arcade tech?
Amusement Vision before they merged and became the Yakuza crew but they were pretty much Sega first party anyway.

Teknoman

Hopefully the volcano skydiving race gives us a sense of how F-Zero would play out, visually anyway. I expect Fire Field esque embers shooting at my face.

1-D_FTW

[Nintex] said:

The GameCube is quite an odd console considering it got Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, The Wind Waker and other great games we can only dream about while rolling around in todays filth.

It was so good because Sega did make it.

Of course Sega, like Nagoshi, is now dead. *bows* to the once King of arcade racers.

AceBandage said:
I doubt they'll replace the characters in F-Zero with Miis, considering how iconic most of them are.
Not the racers. The cars. The races, tracks, controls, everything will be the same, but with Mii's sprinting along the tracks.

Dreamwriter said:
Not the racers. The cars. The races, tracks, controls, everything will be the same, but with Mii's sprinting along the tracks.

Oh.
Well...
Now you have to be killed and your posts burned so no one can know they ever existed...

Amir0x

Banned
actually i'd play that. I'd like to imagine making those hideos Mii's do my dirty work, make them suffer by forcing them to run @ 3000kmph

Kaizoku: excellent post. This game is so lacking compared to Pilotwings 64. Quite funny seeing Nintendo commenting in cheap mobile games that may damage the industry, and then release a full price game that contains less content than some mobile games costing a fraction of the price.

The whole "island concept" is a handy excuse for Nintendo to just not put the legwork in. I'd love to see people's reactions if the playstation Home was to become a similar concept and various games take place in that :)

A Link to the Snitch said:
Even if the racers were Miis?
You know i could handle this if they let you dress your Mii up as your fave F-zero char that'd cool.

Little ninjafish mii in he's captain falcon outfit.....Fuck Yeah!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the issue with Pilotwings "ironically" having little content and being mobile phone-like, if you really wanna go there, is the same problem Nintendo has had with platform launches since the beginning of the Gamecube era:

SNES and N64 had serious, beefy games at launch, as in Mario World, F-Zero, Mario 64, and Pilotwings.

GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, and now 3DS have all had relatively weak launch line ups. All the games in their line-ups are either port/upgrades, or stuff that is polished for what it is, but shallow in content. Or has content and is very unpolished, such as Excite Truck.

The beefy games now come at least six months after launch; and usually right around that time. This suggests that there is something off balance in Nintendo with their timing on finalizing hardware specifications and beginning a fresh round of software development.

This Pilotwings game seems to follow the "polished, low content" route, based on the impressions I read.

It is really a problem with Nintendo launches this past decade.

Btw, on the side: has anyone heard if Pilotwings Resort supports multiple save files per cart, or is it only one?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DrForester said:
4 profiles.

That's great, thank you.

My housemate and I are both getting a 3DS, and want to buy different games so that we can each try the maximum variety.

Kifimbo

Don't know if it was answered yet, but the music was done by Asuka Ito.

Wow, I just unlocked
Diamond Class
. Didn't expect that.

WillyFive

I got the feeling someone here dared to say the SNES version was better than the N64 version. What's up with that?

Kaijima said:
I think the issue with Pilotwings "ironically" having little content and being mobile phone-like, if you really wanna go there, is the same problem Nintendo has had with platform launches since the beginning of the Gamecube era:

SNES and N64 had serious, beefy games at launch, as in Mario World, F-Zero, Mario 64, and Pilotwings.

GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, and now 3DS have all had relatively weak launch line ups. All the games in their line-ups are either port/upgrades, or stuff that is polished for what it is, but shallow in content. Or has content and is very unpolished, such as Excite Truck.

The beefy games now come at least six months after launch; and usually right around that time. This suggests that there is something off balance in Nintendo with their timing on finalizing hardware specifications and beginning a fresh round of software development.

This Pilotwings game seems to follow the "polished, low content" route, based on the impressions I read.

It is really a problem with Nintendo launches this past decade.

I think that can be explained due to the ability to create 2D games with small teams and smaller schedules (Mario World took three years to make with just 16 people making it), and the N64 being delayed so many times that the dev teams had enough time to put a lot of stuff into the launch titles.

The Gamecube came out as planned, so a game as big as Mario Sunshine wasn't going to make it, unless it started development in the N64 era, just like Mario 64 started development as a Super FX game. And of course, we simply got Zelda TP, an already finished Gamecube game, for Wii launch.

So Nintendo making games that big for launch might mean taking time away from their current system, which they have enough trouble doing with third parties being scared of the Wii audience and refusal of localization for many of Nintendo's own games.

Top Bottom