• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

So how hard is it actually to get platinum ranks in this game? That's actually all that matters to me. If it's hard enough, it's enough reason for me to buy it.

borghe said:
MSRP on Amazon and Target is both $49.99. Price on Gstop is $19.99 new, but they don't have an MSRP listed. Of course neither Target nor Amazon has it at $49.99, but the MSRP still looks like it's full price.

I'm telling you guys... those waiting for a price drop on this are going to be waiting until the 3DS' successor.

Many smaller Nintendo titles drop in price, though obviously it's retailer dependent and not an official price drop. Metroid Other M being the biggest, but also there was Zelda Spirit Tracks.
I could see this and Steel Diver price dropping.

Location(s): Wuhu Island

"Free Flight" - Explore the island looking for collectibles (3D dioramas), while a 2 minute timer counts down (you can extend your time by popping balloons)
Oh Gawd. Are you serious? Ch... I'm not paying $40 for Politewings. Nintendo, do you think I shit money? It's okay to sell games at that price, but you gotta give me content...

Huff

Banned
After playing the N64 version, I really have no desire to play this. For some reason, no nostalgia at all. Weird, considering I'm super pumped for OoT3DS

Peru

VitaminApple said:
sigh. Pilotwings 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. This just sounds a like cheap cash-in. :/

It definitely isn't. Everything is very polished and well-done - the problem is just the lack of variation in locations. If it had had one more big world it would clearly be the greatest Pilotwings ever.

Nintendo won't do DLC for 3DS will they?

Bizzyb

Banned
Ill pick it up but only because I'm a huge fan of the series and want to give it support. It really is a shame Nintendo took the easy way out and gave us Wuhu island again.

That is very unlike Nintendo. I mean weren't ALL previous PW games launch games? Yet they were content full games, like most of Nintendo's games, launch or not. So it strikes me as unbelievable that they would leave out Content like varied environment to explore

To go from PW64 to PW Resort is a HUGE step backwards for a franchise.

WillyFive

Peru said:
Nintendo won't do DLC for 3DS will they?

Well, we really don't know. Third parties did it for Wii, but only for small things like songs and such. The 3DS is a whole new system that comes with a 2GB one out of the box, so we might see it happening. It's just that if you judge by Nintendo's history, it will be rare.

Kuran

Banned
I really wanted this, but 40$ combined with the apparant 2 hours it takes to finish the game has turned me off.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Mailenstein said:
So how hard is it actually to get platinum ranks in this game? That's actually all that matters to me. If it's hard enough, it's enough reason for me to buy it.
I'm looking forward to finding out. Not long now until midnight launch in the UK :)

Gravijah said:
I personally don't see Pilotwings doing as well as any of those games, which means it might drop in price.
Hhhmmm...
StevePharma said:
The only Nintendo game I know of in recent years that had a proper price-drop is Other M because that went bomba for Nintendo standards. Only matched by Call of Duty in pricing but even those games became cheaper after a longer time than usual.
Are you suggesting that Pilotwings is going to bomb as hard as Other M? I just don't see that happening.

[Nintex]

I honestly don't get why they limited themselves to just Wuhu Island. Monster Games has made some cool environments in Excite Truck so it's just weird. Maybe a smaller second team made this game?

Kuran

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I honestly don't get why they limited themselves to just Wuhu Island. Monster Games has made some cool environments in Excite Truck so it's just weird. Maybe a smaller second team made this game?

I just feel trolled by Nintendo. It's not as if we get a Pilotwings game every five years, and I doubt this one will see a sequel until much longer.

No online play, no content, ... : (

This could have been a killer app.

1-D_FTW

Without actually having played the retail version of the game, that CVG review pretty much sums up my worst assumptions. Best 3D on the system, the awesomeness of Pilotwings, but an embarrassingly low amount of content that should have been a budget DD title.

allday247

Banned
Pilotwings > Pilotwings 64.

I'm hoping this is more like the former as i felt the N64 edition lost the charm of the original.

they could have at least added the option to use Pilotwings characters instead of Mii characters :'(

still, played it yesterday at best buy and the music and gameplay was classic pilotwings, can't wait to get it.

Mailenstein said:

I would say fairly easy from the few hours I've played so far. Some of them you do in your first run.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I am disappointed by how long this game is. I really don't want to buy it at full price for a few hours of gameplay.

free flight with time limit? WHY... WHY... WHY...

its like an artificial way of making it hard to find the collectibles because the world is small and it would be easy without it?

LevityNYC

Banned
I loved just using my imagination in the original pilotwings. I liked trying to land the plane on everything.

I hope i can still do stuff like deciding not to open the parachute.

Bizzyb said:
Ill pick it up but only because I'm a huge fan of the series and want to give it support. It really is a shame Nintendo took the easy way out and gave us Wuhu island again.

That is very unlike Nintendo. I mean weren't ALL previous PW games launch games? Yet they were content full games, like most of Nintendo's games, launch or not. So it strikes me as unbelievable that they would leave out Content like varied environment to explore

To go from PW64 to PW Resort is a HUGE step backwards for a franchise.
Resort may have fewer locations, but it has more missions than 64.

loosus

Banned
I'm a huge Pilotwings fan. After playing the 3DS demo, I'm definitely skipping the 3DS version. It's not just the amount of content that is bothering me, though.

For one, the controls felt a little off to me. They're simple enough, and maybe I just have high expectations given the series' history, but I thought they could be better. This does not feel like a Nintendo game. Maybe of their "lesser" teams made it?

Second, the whole Mii thing is a huge turn-off. Yes, it was a neato idea on Wii. It ran its course, though, and Nintendo is unable to let it go. We don't need five years of that shit.

And that's on top of all the content issues.

Vinterbird said:
But each mission is about 3-4 minutes at the most.
I've only played about half of 64 quite recently, but those missions were about the same. Can't comment on Resort, I only know it has 40 missions in comparison to around 30 in 64.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gofreak said:
Getting this, and probably wouldn't get a 3DS if it wasn't there. Big nostalgia motivation.

However the price/content ratio is way off by the sounds of things.

Metro has a review here btw, which seems in line with the sentiments of others.

agreed, it sounds like a pretty lazy effort, but the nostalgia vibe is strong. Remember gazing through a window in awe at pilotwings on the SNES. Mode 7.....just.....drool..

'just' a port of the 64 version with refreshed assets would have been fine - it has a lot of variety and content.

virtual console isn't doing N64 games on 3DS is it? Just wii.. might need to look up an N64 emulator

Tom_Cody

It tried it out this weekend at Nintendo World in NYC.

It is exactly what I wanted it to be and definitely the best 3D showcase among the games I played.

I'm sure I will get addicted to this. Very fun. I've played through the first game many times and at various different points in my life. I actually only won it for the first time in somewhere around 2004.

I also really enjoyed the flying mode in Wii sports resort. Maybe 10 hours or so. I just loved it. Having said that, I never really enjoyed the motion controls for flight. For me, it's worth buying this just to re-experience flying around Wuhu island with analog control.

Tom_Cody

I'm a bit surprised at all the hate for Nintendo's decision to only include one location.

At no point playing through Wii Sports Resort did I every become bored with the location. I definitely enjoyed the environment more as I became more familiar with the Island.

Have ya'll read Miyamoto's explanation of the "Island Concept"?

http://uk.wii.com/wii/en_GB/software/iwata_asks_wii_sports_resort_2200.html

I think that segment should be in the opening post of this thread.

StickSoldier said:
Nintendo World Report gave it an 8/10 also.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/25758
Naked Snake said:
Thanks, added to OP.

EvilMario said:
Yes. You're able to 'practice' with the various flying machines, and explore freely in doing so. There was a Youtube Video posted in one of the other (many) threads showing it off. It kept bugging the player about pressing start to quit out, so hopefully that's not always the case. Haha.

edit: Typos.
I forgot about that practice mode, added to OP. Hopefully it's available to all vehicles. One downside that you did mention is that prompt that keeps coming up, but what can you do.

FullMetal said:
So is this some modified version of the one Factor5 was working on? Was that ever confirmed?
No it's got to be a different game completely. Factor 5 definitely was working on a Pilotwings game though I'm pretty sure, there was some art and 3D models that came out after they went under.

And yes I am bummed about the timed free flight mode and having only one island to explore, but beggars can't be choosers. It's been 15 years since the last Pilotwings game and no one else makes anything that even comes close.

Kuran

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
I'm a bit surprised at all the hate for Nintendo's decision to only include one location.

At no point playing through Wii Sports Resort did I every become bored with the location. I definitely enjoyed the environment more as I became more familiar with the Island.

Lovely how Nintendo is allowed to put reason to fallacy using the Iwata Asks segment.

Provides great arguments for fanboys! "You see, they purposefully designed the 3DS hardware to be as ugly as it is! It is all intentional!"

gogojira

As a huge fan of Pilotwings 64 (yeah yeah, I know some don't like it), I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify the price of Pilotwings Resort. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of game there based on what I'm reading, and I'd really rather not buy a tech demo.

Vanille

Tom_Cody said:

It’s a ridiculous concept that has so far been demonstrated as nothing more than a simple excuse to reuse assets and put in minimal effort.

Boney

Banned
Kuran said:
Lovely how Nintendo is allowed to put reason to fallacy using the Iwata Asks segment.

Provides great arguments for fanboys! "You see, they purposefully designed the 3DS hardware to be as ugly as it is! It is all intentional!"
Are you... are you saying they designed it by accident then?

Thinking about cancelling my order for this and going with SSFIV3DE. Static backgrounds bother me a lot less than zero replay value.

Edit: And I hate to come into a thread for a game and crap it up with "cancelling my preorder lulz yall have fun!", but I was really excited about this game the most. I'm very let down by the supposed lack of content.

gogojira

patrickthehedgehog said:
Thinking about cancelling my order for this and going with SSFIV3DE. Static backgrounds bother me a lot less than zero replay value.

This seriously might be the first Nintendo system launch where I walk out with no Nintendo published games. It doesn't seem right, haha.

Magnus

I think I'm snagging a 3DS at launch. This is the only game that even registers on the interesting scale, aside from Nintendogs/Cats for the 'wow' factor to impress friends or whatever, lol.

I think I'll have to grab this then.

After following the reviews for this I am really doubting my preorder on this....40$ for (ill be generous for the reviews I got) 5 hour gameplay and 1 location. I already got SSF4 ordered but I don't own that for any console so I know ill get my money worth out of that.Lego has meh reviews but if I go by content and personal experience off all the past titles I'll get my dimes worth out of that. This I just dont know.

Kuran

Banned
Boney said:
Are you... are you saying they designed it by accident then?

Haha, I just gave a shitty example.

Will probably buy Pilotwings at launch. And SF4.

1-D_FTW said:
No. He's saying the rationale behind it doesn't make it any less ugly to the eyes.

This, you put it very eloquently.. thanks!

Tom_Cody

Teknoman said:
Vinterbird says it might be closer to the N64 soundtrack, but never played the SNES game so couldnt comment on that.
This is the one point that has me worried. I couldn't hear the music when I played the demo and the track on the most recent trailer is terrible.

I don't have fond memories of the music in Excite truck...

Teknoman

Tom_Cody said:
This is the one point that has me worried. I couldn't hear the music when I played the demo and the track on the most recent trailer is terrible.

I don't have fond memories of the music in Excite truck...

Yeah Excitetruck was 100% custom music for me.

Top Bottom