• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Milpool said:
Landing before the countdown will get you no time bonus, I think it's within 6 seconds of the timer ending for the maximum bonus.
Thanks! Although there's no way I can reach 500m with the highest hot-air "tornado", then getting all the capsules AND land within 6 seconds to get the bonus... Something tells me I'm not choosing the fastest lane to get there.

Boney

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Thanks! Although there's no way I can reach 500m with the highest hot-air "tornado", then getting all the capsules AND land within 6 seconds to get the bonus... Something tells me I'm not choosing the fastest lane to get there.
I went straight to the first one, then left to the nearby one, and then straight to the highest and activating a 10 point thing in the way. And to actually get to 500m, you gotta take the highest one twice, like go go up, and do it again with a better speed.

That'll give you more than enough time to plan a landing at the 3 minute mark.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
When I got all 75 Location Information things it said I got a Castle. Errr, can I fly this castle around? I don't know what the game is on about.

Gen X said:
When I got all 75 Location Information things it said I got a Castle. Errr, can I fly this castle around? I don't know what the game is on about.
On a small island there's now a castle which you can look at but not fly with.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Boney said:
I went straight to the first one, then left to the nearby one, and then straight to the highest and activating a 10 point thing in the way. And to actually get to 500m, you gotta take the highest one twice, like go go up, and do it again with a better speed.

That'll give you more than enough time to plan a landing at the 3 minute mark.
Right, so that's the correct lane then. I was taking a longer route but I was also doing the two-times tornado to get to 500m, I thought maybe there was a better way; anyway I think with your line I can get there close to the 3m mark.
Tonight's gonna be flight time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guuugh I am missing one gold ring in free flight. I have everything else.

Are there any rings in out of the way places that I might have overlooked? I'm searching everywhere and I cant find it.

EatChildren said:
Guuugh I am missing one gold ring in free flight. I have everything else.

Are there any rings in out of the way places that I might have overlooked? I'm searching everywhere and I cant find it.

The one that took me FOREVER to find was off the coast of the golf island.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Mana Legend said:
The one that took me FOREVER to find was off the coast of the golf island.

If the one you're talking about is the ring between golf island and the beachy coast of the main island, out in the middle of the ocean with no nearby vents, then you're a life saver as that is what I missed.

EatChildren said:
If the one you're talking about is the ring between golf island and the beachy coast of the main island, out in the middle of the ocean with no nearby vents, then you're a life saver as that is what I missed.

Yep, that's the one.

jgkspsx

I went back to flying in Wii Sports Resort, which I abandoned after a few hours originally. Collected all the locations and a couple more stamps. Some impressions.

Cons:
The textures look awful to see after PWR.

The sunset flight looks pukey after the beauty of lighting and shading in PWR.

The jerk-to-boost mechanic is just as dumb and just as precision-killing as it ever was. I still don't like not having speed control. I hate the boosts.

Pros:
I really like the way the Wiimore+Motionplus works compared to the add-on. It was much less unpleasant. I was surprised at how much precision and agility was possible whenever unwanted boosts weren't killing me. The plane, I think, felt better to fly than the stock plane in PWR.

The location-specific sounds (except for the morse code at the lighthouse, geeez) are much missed in PWR. (BTW, the bad Mario player was in WSR, too.)

There are people! They look at your plane! Whoa!

The whole island complex felt much more alive in WSR, and really highlighted how creepy it is to have a dead island in PWR, with only one other pilot and a whale as living beings.

Some of the art is just plain better. The meteors at night in WSR make night in PWR seem boring and static.

Draw distances seem better. Sure, there's less to collect, but sudden pop-in for location rings isn't nearly as bad an issue.

Having the guns in free-flight mode would be a lot more fun for balloon collecting.

Dunno:
The plane mechanics are much more realistic in some ways. (I mean, for a game where you jerk the wiimore to boost.) If you slow down, you fall. (Still no realistic momentum.) And the plane felt much more like a plane than like a spaceship in a gravity-free vacuum like it does in PWR. This makes for a more satisfying experience sometimes, but the plane mechanics work very well in mission mode in PWR, so it's kind of a wash.

Conclusion:
I hope if they do another game, they do more to make the location (not Wuhu) seem more living and less creepily still. And please let me have my throttle back on my plane.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Im a bit confused , does the game offer 30 hours of getting everything'? Or. Less

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
dgenx said:
Im a bit confused , does the game offer 30 hours of getting everything'? Or. Less

I've put in around 10 hours and I'm only half way through red starring Silver. I'm sure some people are much better at this game than I am, and will easily complete everything in the time I've already played.. but I'd say there's a good amount of content. It just depends if high scores, and perfectionism are your thing.

Alrus

Also the ingame timer "cheats" and only take in account the mission/free flight you finished. When your retry the time isn't counted. So if you see 10 hours in game, it's probably a couple hours more.

DJ88

Thanks guys, and yeah my actual playtime under the 3DS activity log is way higher. Somewhere close to 30 hours.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
dgenx said:

No, not even close unless you are a completionist and also terrible at the game. I 3-starred all the missions after about 4 hours and spent about 2 on Free Flight which I did about 75% of. I only spent 6h40 on it according to the Activity Log.

I'd say 8 hours is a good average play time.

Of course some people will "finish it" in less, whilst others will be going until well over double that.

I've been addicted to the collectables more than the missions so far... mainly because I've been struggling to get enough stars to move onto Platinum...

I've got all but one balloon (glider) and 11 gold rings to get (shouldn't be too much trouble)... I've really really enjoyed this, I just wish there was more. It could have done with a multiplayer mode or trading system of some sort, something to keep me going back alone or with friends once I've beaten the game.

Tadale

I ended up returning this today. I don't think I expected too much going in, but I was definitely disappointed. I remember having a really good time with the original and 64, but I suppose that was during an era when exploring a big 3d environment was new and interesting all on its own. I remember just flying around the Little States map in Pilotwings 64, and that was enough to keep me entertained.

There just wasn't enough stuff to justify $40.

dock

I'm still loving this game. It's such a great game to play for 10-40 minutes, take a stab at a few missions, maybe play longer if things go well. I just got a perfect on Cave Hiking, for example.

Got two sets of perfects, and Platinum is unlocked too. I try to avoid spending too much time with Platinum missions until I've got better scores on earlier missions.

Just checked the logs, I've somehow managed to rack up 19.5 hours! o__o
(being crap is good value for money!)

This is how long it took me to red-star Mission mode (I just started free flight):

First, proof:
e9y8va.jpg

Second, in-game (doesn't track restarts, I guess?):
2uokkfl.jpg

Third, a more accurate accounting of time spent:
25tvz0o.jpg

So, yeah. Earlier in this thread when I asked if I was simply bad at the game? There's your proof. Still loved every second, though!

PilotWings has become the best selling 3DS title in The Netherlands!

Nintendo 3DS Top 10
01. Pilotwings Resort
02. Rayman 3D
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
04. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
05. Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars
06. Nintendogs & Cats: Golden Retriever
07. Rabbids 3D
08. Nintendogs & Cats: French Bulldog
09. Asphalt GT 3D
10. Super Monkey Ball 3D

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/games_news.asp?id=2937

dock

Dutch people have good taste! :D

metsallica said:
This is how long it took me to red-star Mission mode (I just started free flight)
Haha, it makes me feel even worse!! XD I have barely touched free flight mode, and spent much longer on Mission to get fewer results. I don't care though, I'm in no hurry! :3

NateDrake

Neuromancer said:
I need to go back and play this some more. What a great game.
Agreed. I wish Nintendo would release a couple DLC bonus missions for it to make the pleasure last longer but it is still a damn fine launch title that provides plenty of good times.

NateDrake said:
Agreed. I wish Nintendo would release a couple DLC bonus missions for it to make the pleasure last longer but it is still a damn fine launch title that provides plenty of good times.
Yeah that seems like a relatively easy thing to do via Spotpass.

My real hope is for Monster Games to do a sequel (also for the 3DS) with new areas, but who knows.

dock

Morokh said:
just bought this today, and I seriously suck with the Jetpack xD
With the jetpack remember that you can go straight forwards at full speed if you push the analogue partially. Also, yes, the left trigger is crucial!

Notorious_Roy said:
PilotWings has become the best selling 3DS title in The Netherlands!

Nintendo 3DS Top 10
01. Pilotwings Resort
02. Rayman 3D
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
04. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
05. Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars
06. Nintendogs & Cats: Golden Retriever
07. Rabbids 3D
08. Nintendogs & Cats: French Bulldog
09. Asphalt GT 3D
10. Super Monkey Ball 3D

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/games_news.asp?id=2937
Also recently #1 3DS game in the UK.

Neuromancer said:
My real hope is for Monster Games to do a sequel (also for the 3DS) with new areas, but who knows.
I wish, but won't happen. I'd really like to see other Nintendo islands show up (Delfino, Koholint, etc)

dock

Managed to red star all of the jetpack in Silver and Gold, but struggling to get 3 stars in many of the silver hand-gliding missions! D: I sorta know the method for the speed challenge, but it's super tricky for me.

I play Wii Fit several hours every week, and Pilotwings has definitely changed some of my feelings for Wuhu. I'm surprised that I'm not burned out by it, actually, and I think they could really develop Wuhu further with new games.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nooo!!! D: Haha, I hate those guys.

Futureman

Morokh said:
The first base-jump mission is just awesome :D (hope there is more)

but Gold gets reeeeaaaallly hard very fast :(

You mean the squirrel suit? Yea, just played that one, awesome mission. I can't get that 10pt pill right at the end though. This game is definitely addicting.

m.i.s.

Banned
Unused [250, I think] Pilotwings Resort points code to anyone interested. PM me if so.

PAL only.

Update: it's gone.

Myriadis

lunchwithyuzo said:
I wish, but won't happen. I'd really like to see other Nintendo islands show up (Delfino, Koholint, etc)
Man,that would be so awesome,to fly over all the levels without any transition.

metsallica said:
Does anything unlock when you collect everything in free flight? I just did and didn't notice anything.

Free flight balloons = more time, information points = different times of day, collectables = dioramas. 3 starring everything in mission mode will add Mecha Hawk (from Pilotwings 64) to Wedge island in free flight mode and he provides a final 76th information point for you to collect. Sadly that's as exciting as the interaction gets.

I would love this to somehow have DLC.

Thanks, man! Felt good to 100% the game, but yeah, DLC would be amazing. Do we know that the 3DS can support DLC? Have we seen any with other games (Spot Pass codes don't count!)?

metsallica said:
Thanks, man! Felt good to 100% the game, but yeah, DLC would be amazing. Do we know that the 3DS can support DLC? Have we seen any with other games (Spot Pass codes don't count!)?

I thought Samurai Warriors: Chronicles' Spot Pass feature downloads stuff not on the cart?

radioheadrule83 said:
Free flight balloons = more time, information points = different times of day, collectables = dioramas. 3 starring everything in mission mode will add Mecha Hawk (from Pilotwings 64) to Wedge island in free flight mode and he provides a final 76th information point for you to collect. Sadly that's as exciting as the interaction gets.

I would love this to somehow have DLC.

No it's not!
IF you crash into him he yells just like in the N64 game!

Jintor

I finally realised the best times to use pedals with the biglider was when you were already going fast or heading downwards. Finally hitting those speed bumps!

Futureman

uh, getting annoying playing a mission over and over and doing perfect except for a 9/10 on impact.

I guess the missions aren't too long so it isn't a huge issue, but I'm wondering if I should even bother going for perfects?

Do the invisible balloons ever become "uninvisible" after you unlock later modes, or are they just there as guides?

Top Bottom