• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

NateDrake said:
How far above 'Sea Level' the vehicle is.

Heh I get what it literally means, but in my game (unless I'm crazy, which of course is quite possible) it says 'Altitude' instead. I was just wondering why it was necessary for them to change the English for the JPN release. Surely they're both as understandable as each other?

The hand glider is my favorite vehicle. The physics and controls in the game are so good, like in free flight mode when you manage to do crazy a maneuver to go through low altitude rings by diving straight down at breakneck speed, going through the ring then gracefully escaping a crash and floating away like a boss.

duxstar

Horrible Horrible News (said in the voice of the mayor from the nightmare before christmas) my first casualty of the new gen has come, and it is Pilotwings Resort ....... I assume it is somewhere in my house but it might be months or year's before i Ever see it again =/

Mega Man

I just picked this game up on Monday and I am utterly addicted. It keeps telling me to take a break :( This is all I have for my 3DS but it should keep me happy for awhile

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
jarosh said:
i am seriously wondering if there isn't someting wrong with your system. i'm very sensitive to framerate problems and i've reported all of rayman 3d's framerate drops in its official thread. but i honestly can't remember experiencing a single hitch in pw's framerate. it runs at a constant, buttery smooth 30 fps for me.

Uhmmm. Seems hard to believe, but who knows... I'd need to try another 3DS and that isn't easy. Although I can't help but notice how the majority of GAF (not reffering to you) is all over the place when spotting games' framerate (last one was "SSFIV in 3D at 60fps!" but really any major game I see there are plenty of people swearing said game magically performs better on their systems).
SSFIV and Ridge Racer both perform as expected, RR runs at 30fps with framerate dipping when crashing on the walls and on some stages when there are 2+ cars close to yours. SSFIV is 30fps in 3D and 60fps in 2mode (3d disabled on the menu, otherwise it stays 30fps with the slider off).
Pilotwings is almost never 30fps, more like upper 20s/25 and it dips as low as 10/15fps whenever you turn/shift view close to the town and other busy places, especially when you'rw against the lens flare effect, with the plane and sometimes with the handglider. Turning off the 3D with the slider gives a considerable smoothing push to the framerate, try that and let me know.

Edit: also, you never replied to my FC request ;)

duxstar said:
Horrible Horrible News (said in the voice of the mayor from the nightmare before christmas) my first casualty of the new gen has come, and it is Pilotwings Resort ....... I assume it is somewhere in my house but it might be months or year's before i Ever see it again =/
Dude that sucks, you need to search now while it's still fresh in your head!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've three-star'ed every mission and found all the locations in Free Flight.

I'm 11 hours in, not sure how much longer I will continue. I have about 15 items left to find in Free Flight and have yet to red star ever mission. I imagine that could take me around another 3-5 hours to do, but with finals coming up and Ghost Recon:SW waiting along with Portal 2/L.A. Noire...... maybe I'll find some free time in bed to play lol.

All in all though, I've been very impressed with PW Resort. Great controls, lovely use of the 3D, and drug-like addictive gameplay. It's relaxing as well, like taking a walk on the beach. Which is a bit strange for such an arcade-like title... but I like it! My favorite 3DS title so far.

P.S. I'm sorry I ever doubted you Wuhu Island. I still love you :)

Neiteio

Skiesofwonder said:
All in all though, I've been very impressed with PW Resort. Great controls, lovely use of the 3D, and drug-like addictive gameplay. It's relaxing as well, like taking a walk on the beach. Which is a bit strange for such an arcade-like title... but I like it! My favorite 3DS title so far.

P.S. I'm sorry I ever doubted you Wuhu Island. I still love you :)
Great articulation of its charm. :)

I love love love this game. It's the first Nintendo game in years to just give me that pure, unmitigated Nintendo feel. I don't know how to describe it, lol. :)

DJ88

Finished getting all red star perfects for all the missions last night. Perfecting the last two diamond missions was killing me, damn that 90 mph speed barrier at the end of the pedal bike mission!! I'll be posting some videos of replays from some of the harder ones that might help people trying to perfect the game.

Still have a bunch of the free flight mode left to do, but it should be a nice relaxing break from the mission mode. I have to say that the 3D in the game definitely adds a lot to the gameplay. People who think 3D is just a gimmick and that it doesn't bring anything useful to gaming are just full of it. Being able to judge the exact distance and height from a landing pad without using visual cues and just knowing it thanks to the depth is a huge advantage.

Do you know what this makes me want more than anything?

Pilotwings 64 3DS. Though I'm afraid that since the developers of Pilotwings 64 are defunct, all of the source code for it is gone.

But I just imagine, right now, after spending 30 (glorious) hours on Pilotwings Resort, spending even longer on a Pilotwings 64 3DS. I've put hundreds of hours into the original, and a portable version would be amazing.

Oh, and about the framerate. It is excellent, though it never hits 60 FPS, though it comes close a lot. I haven't had a single framerate issue, with exception to the occasional dip down to 30 FPS, which is extremely rare.

I'd be happy with Monster Games bringing us a Pilotwings World sometime in late 2012/early 2013, taking the fantastic base they've got here and then:
  • Add a set of new vehicles - gyrocopter and the human cannonball, please!
  • More missions for the Squirrel Suit, and bring back skydiving
  • At least two new locales, in addition to a rejigged ring/trophy/etc. layout for Wuhu to keep it fresh
  • More eccentric and unusual missions - chase a fleeing crook on your Wuhu Island Police-issue pedal-glider, or catch a falling Mii by leaping from a mountain-top in the Squirrel Suit
  • Reintroduce changing weather conditions for added challenge and replay - revisit the simple hang-glider training missions in driving rain, or gale-force winds
  • Introduce local multiplayer - what about Pilotwings Race, letting you pit yourself against a friend in a Turbo-Jet race through a rocky canyon, or Pilotwings Dogfight where you and a friend can try and shoot a string of balloons from the tail of each other's aircraft?
  • Times and scores synced to a worldwide leaderboard, tying into the Pilotwings World title
...and I've got more where that came from! ;-)

Jackano

The Mana Legend said:
Do you know what this makes me want more than anything?

Pilotwings 64 3DS. Though I'm afraid that since the developers of Pilotwings 64 are defunct, all of the source code for it is gone.

But I just imagine, right now, after spending 30 (glorious) hours on Pilotwings Resort, spending even longer on a Pilotwings 64 3DS. I've put hundreds of hours into the original, and a portable version would be amazing.

Oh, and about the framerate. It is excellent, though it never hits 60 FPS, though it comes close a lot. I haven't had a single framerate issue, with exception to the occasional dip down to 30 FPS, which is extremely rare.

The source code is perfectly safe, I do not think Nintendo doesn't have it even if the game was outsourced.

One more N64 remake, couldn't be a good idea for now but yes, Pilotwings Resort certainly calls for a sequel, like several people here would agree. More content, more N64-ish ideas, even remade maps.

woah this game is beautiful, i've played it for about three seconds but the 3D is already the best i've seen on the system.

as somebody who didn't play a single mission in crackdown 2 but just went after all the agility orbs, i don't think the lack of content will bother me so much...

Cosmonaut X said:
I'd be happy with Monster Games bringing us a Pilotwings World sometime in late 2012/early 2013, taking the fantastic base they've got here and then:
  • At least two new locales, in addition to a rejigged ring/trophy/etc. layout for Wuhu to keep it fresh
  • More eccentric and unusual missions - chase a fleeing crook on your Wuhu Island Police-issue pedal-glider, or catch a falling Mii by leaping from a mountain-top in the Squirrel Suit
  • Reintroduce changing weather conditions for added challenge and replay - revisit the simple hang-glider training missions in driving rain, or gale-force winds
  • Introduce local multiplayer - what about Pilotwings Race, letting you pit yourself against a friend in a Turbo-Jet race through a rocky canyon, or Pilotwings Dogfight where you and a friend can try and shoot a string of balloons from the tail of each other's aircraft?
  • Times and scores synced to a worldwide leaderboard, tying into the Pilotwings World title

DAY 1

Skiesofwonder

Cosmonaut X said:

:) I'm all up for this Nintendo!

Man I really hope PW Resort sells well, I forgot how much I missed PilotWings.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Cosmonaut X said:
Damn it. This will never be made. :(

Fantastical said:
Damn it. This will never be made. :(

We got Excitebots and Excitebike: World Rally, didn't we? (well, the US got the former :-( )

If I had to choose between Steel Diver, Nintendogs+Cats and Pilotwings Resort for "launch title most likely to get a mid-gen sequel", I'd put my money on Pilotwings...

What do people think of the ability to fly around Wuhu in "mirror mode"?

Would that be a good stop gap on the way to "more locations"? I'm not that fussed about the locations, actually given that most things happen up in the air the location is just... scenery. What I would love is more missions, regardless of where they're set.

gingerbeardman said:
What do people think of the ability to fly around Wuhu in "mirror mode"?

Would that be a good stop gap on the way to "more locations"? I'm not that fussed about the locations, actually given that most things happen up in the air the location is just... scenery. What I would love is more missions, regardless of where they're set.
Are we talking about how likely any thing is as an update/DLC? Or just what we would want?

I think in all likelihood we won't be getting anything extra. In my fantasy land though I'd want a new location or two. Or at least give the current Wuhu island some kind of changes, like different seasons maybe.

Skiesofwonder

Cosmonaut X said:
We got Excitebots and Excitebike: World Rally, didn't we? (well, the US got the former :-( )

If I had to choose between Steel Diver, Nintendogs+Cats and Pilotwings Resort for "launch title most likely to get a mid-gen sequel", I'd put my money on Pilotwings...

True, but I would much rather get a Steel Diver sequel because I think it has the most to improve on AND I'm pretty sure we will get another PilotWings somewhere down the road. But, as for Steel Diver.... yeah not so much. If we don't get another Steel Diver on the 3DS then I have a funny feeling it will be one-and-done like Mach Rider. :(

Dash Kappei

The Mana Legend said:
Oh, and about the framerate. It is excellent, though it never hits 60 FPS, though it comes close a lot.
Ugh. The game is never 60fps (at least in 3D mode), hell 99% of the times it isn't even rock solid 30fps.
See, what did I tell ya Jarosh?
Yes, I just came back from having tried the game on a different machine. Let's just say I'm happy for anybody who just don't notice or care for those things, it's ok if you don't but if that's the case then it would be better to not take yourself into a technical argument, I just think it's not fair creating false assumptions.
Even the fucking DEMO at the start of the game dips to 15fps in 3D, look as soon as it goes around the bridge, or when the camera starts rotating on the mansion and the pool and tennis courts appear. I don't think there's need for me to go into more detail with the missions if most people don't want to at least take notice of that, but the first one that comes to mind is Silver, glider 2nd, just start gliding left and right or up/down before you enter the hot air spot at the very start. Silver, plane 2nd "baloon saloon", after you take off from the sea, turn on your left (and keep turning) to see the town enters your view, framerate takes a big hit and I mean, wtf even at the start of the mission doing nothing it still isn't 30fps, more like N64 Zelda OOT's 24fps, feeling is similar to that game. But really the whole game is like that. Turn the 3D off and you get a nice spike in framerate's smoothness, on the spot.
Mind you, I'm loving the game (I like Wuhu Island, but I wish you weren't forced to use Miis) I think it's worth the price of admission, the 3D effect is really well done (although they should give an option to turn the HUD off in mission mode, I can only find it in replays) and contrary to first impressions there's a lot of content here. Game is relaxing, pushes the right button on my highscore addiction, at times it looks very good, and all in all it is a nice package.
Other than that, it's technicalities, I just feel it's legit to want more from a Nintendo published game which is clearly not pushing anything so massive to let me settle down for anything but a butter smooth performance in 3D mode.

^ Okay, I am really not having any framerate issues at all, and I have never ONCE come close to 15 FPS. It is always above 30 for me. But I only have the 3D about halfway, so maybe that's it.

Dash Kappei

The Mana Legend said:
^ Okay, I am really not having any framerate issues at all, and I have never ONCE come close to 15 FPS. It is always above 30 for me.
Yes you do get close to 15 fps, and no it's not always above 30fps "for you".
I think you should reconsider how you "count" frames, the game is DEFINITELY NOT "ALWAYS ABOVE 30fps" c'mon, not by any stretch of imagination. You don't have a one-of-a-kind Super 3DS console there mate :)
Just check the parts of the demo coming up after the game loads, or the couple of missions mentioned.
Then repeat with the 3D slider on off, and that is a 30fps framerate *when it is stable* (game dips slighty even in 2D mode).

Bottom line, you shouldn't care, framerate is good enough for you and that's what matters.

But I only have the 3D about halfway, so maybe that's it.

Eheh, cute :)
That's not how it works mate

low-G

Dash, we talked in the Star Fox thread. I had a PDA with a GPU that would only fuck up in one or two applications (very low frame rates), and the Dell tech guy didn't believe it either. I can tell you with absolute certainty that Pilotwings Resort never dips to the teens of frames per second on my 3DS (of course I might have blinked during a frame once, but as a rule it's not dropping frames much).

The more I play this game the more I fall in love with it (I only get a chance to play for 15 minutes or less every day). Now I'm convinced that going for a perfect score on every mission is by far the best way to enjoy and appreciate this game. Getting three stars is easy, but repeating a mission again and again to find ways to cut your time while maintaining a perfect run and nailing it in the end is so rewarding.

<3 <3 <3

Dash Kappei

low-G said:
Dash, we talked in the Star Fox thread. I had a PDA with a GPU that would only fuck up in one or two applications (very low frame rates), and the Dell tech guy didn't believe it either. I can tell you with absolute certainty that Pilotwings Resort never dips to the teens of frames per second on my 3DS (of course I might have blinked during a frame once, but as a rule it's not dropping frames much).
I understand that, it happened with my brother's first iPad as well.
Problem is that it only happens with PWR and on two different consoles... that seems reaching a bit to me.
I already corrected myself, since I've no problem doing that, from my first post itt: 10s was addmittely kinda harsh, although it can happen for brief moments for example when you're turning you jetplane near the windmill thingies; I still stand by 15 to 20 tho, and like I said the game is basically never 30fps in 3D, as I was saying if you ever played OOT ntsc (24fps iirc) you know what I mean it feels like in "normal" playing. Have you tried the couple of instances I mentioned above by any chance? Try switching on the fly from 3D to 2D mode, you'll notice the spike in smoothness to proper 30fps. No fret, whenever (if) you feel like to, I'm genuinely curious.
I don't even think it's possible for the cart itself to be fucked up, but hey.

Neiteio

Cosmonaut X said:
Me too! Here's my dream version of Pilotwings World:

• Five isles in an archipelago. Southernmost isle is Wuhu Island, temperate year-round. Northernmost isle is a snowbound ski resort, cold year-round. In-between are three greater landmasses that experience the four seasons, including an updated Little States, complete with Mii-world parodies of famous U.S. landmarks.
    _
  • Miis culled from your system populate the land, sea and airways. In Free Flight (which no longer has a time limit), players can also opt to share the wide open spaces with other players in local wireless or online via Wi-Fi. In single-player or multiplayer Free Flight, one can also set up tokens, targets, rings, etc, in random, preset or custom arrangements, for practice or competitive purposes.
    _
  • There are over 200 events in Mission Mode, around 40 for each of the five isles, spanning the plane, gyrocopter, turbo jet, rocket belt, jumble hopper, super rocket belt, hang glider, birdman, pedal glider, flying-squirrel suit, human cannonball, and skydiving (including formations with other Miis and parachute landings).
    _
  • In Search Mode (the timed Free Flight equivalent), there are at least 75 location rings, 120 white balloons, 60 stunt rings, 60 Mii trophies and 60 gold rings per isle. A new diorama unlocks every 10 stunt rings/Mii trophies/gold rings, for at least 90 dioramas. Photography is now unlimited, and onscreen icons can be turned off.
    _
  • There is dawn, day, dusk and night, plus weather conditions including clear skies, overcast, light showers, heavy rain, high winds, fog, flurries and blizzards.
    _
  • A number of missions deal with Meca Hawk attacks. Also expect cleverly hidden Easter eggs including nostalgic nods to "forgotten" Nintendo titles like Game & Watch, Balloon Fighter, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Mach Rider, Punch-Out!!, Wrecking Crew, Panel de Pon, Star Tropics, etc.
    _
  • In Little States, a skyscraper under construction features arcade Donkey Kong, while a “Mount Smashmore” nearby features the faces of Mario, Link, Samus and Pikachu. Also present is the cannonball trick that turns Mario's face to Wario.

Dash Kappei

Boney said:
not funny people died
Oh c'mon Boney.
I thought it was clear what I was getting at, "dude" was implying I was frothing in rage mode when I was just peacefully discussing things. I never called people names (hate "retard" and such), I didn't think that could've been offensive and it definitely comes off way harsher than if I had said it face to face.

Boney

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Oh c'mon Boney.
I thought it was clear what I was getting at, "dude" was implying I was frothing in rage mode when I was just peacefully discussing things. I never called people names (hate "retard" and such), I didn't think that could've been offensive and it definitely comes off way harsher than if I had said it face to face.
dashy baby it seems you're not familiar with the neogafs

you didn't get my "joke" and with gravijah gone i gotta fill in for the both of us

Dash Kappei

Lol fuck off mate

Dash Kappei, NeoGaf's brewed since 2005 :p
I was just scared that my oh-so-powerful arguments could be the nail to finally push him off the edge

And why, where the hell is Gravijah?

Boney

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Lol fuck off mate

Dash Kappei, NeoGaf's brewed since 2005 :p
I was just scared that my oh-so-powerful arguments could be the nail to finally push him off the edge

And why, where the hell is Gravijah?
i killed him

uraurauruaruauruaurua

low-G

Dash Kappei said:
I understand that, it happened with my brother's first iPad as well.
Problem is that it only happens with PWR and on two different consoles... that seems reaching a bit to me.
I already corrected myself, since I've no problem doing that, from my first post itt: 10s was addmittely kinda harsh, although it can happen for brief moments for example when you're turning you jetplane near the windmill thingies; I still stand by 15 to 20 tho, and like I said the game is basically never 30fps in 3D, as I was saying if you ever played OOT ntsc (24fps iirc) you know what I mean it feels like in "normal" playing. Have you tried the couple of instances I mentioned above by any chance? Try switching on the fly from 3D to 2D mode, you'll notice the spike in smoothness to proper 30fps. No fret, whenever (if) you feel like to, I'm genuinely curious.
I don't even think it's possible for the cart itself to be fucked up, but hey.

To me it seems to be dropping to 20-24fps at the very lowest, like when facing the entire island from the sea from certain angles. It's hard for me to sum up the average but I definitely sense some fluctuation. To my eyes 2D mode often actually seems choppier in PW, and it makes me wonder if the system alternates between updating the left and right eye-half of the screen.

anybody who says the game NEVER dips below 30 is on crack - like dash says, it's incredibly obvious even in the demo at the start.

i don't really care because the game itself is smooth and relaxing, but yeah.

Jintor

Help me out here guys. I suck totally at Platinum level, specifically the chase-the-boats-in-the-plane-and-then-chase-the-plane-to-pop-their-balloon mission. Any pointers?

345triangle said:
anybody who says the game NEVER dips below 30 is on crack - like dash says, it's incredibly obvious even in the demo at the start.

i don't really care because the game itself is smooth and relaxing, but yeah.
There's definitely some slowdown but not to the extent Dash is describing.

Jintor said:
Help me out here guys. I suck totally at Platinum level, specifically the chase-the-boats-in-the-plane-and-then-chase-the-plane-to-pop-their-balloon mission. Any pointers?
Dash once only at the start, small movements, hold and release fire to secure correct aim and balloon hit. Don't crash! That's it. Just take your time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It would've been nice to have a simplistic Streetpass feature in this game, like a guest book or 'Wall of Fame' with something like the Top 5 Licenses you've come across. Kinda disappointing a first party game didn't implement anything.

Anyway, I've noticed now I've progressed (only got it today) that in the Mode screen there are Dioramas and one is for Mii Trophies. Can someone explain this to me please? Cheers.

Gen X said:
It would've been nice to have a simplistic Streetpass feature in this game, like a guest book or 'Wall of Fame' with something like the Top 5 Licenses you've come across. Kinda disappointing a first party game didn't implement anything.

Anyway, I've noticed now I've progressed (only got it today) that in the Mode screen there are Dioramas and one is for Mii Trophies. Can someone explain this to me please? Cheers.
Mii Trophies are something you find in Free Flight with the jetpack. You have to progress to a certain point in Mission Mode to open those up. Once you do, they'll be on the ground all over the islands. They're like stunt rings for the plane, or gold rings for the hang glider.

Luigiv

Bought this the other day (Aussie release to be exact). The Squirrel Suit is fucking awesome. Wish there was more of it. :(

I can see what all the fuss over content is about know. 40 levels sounded pretty good to me on paper (I don't like games that over stay their welcome) but when you divide that between 6 vehicles, it feels like jack all. So many good ideas and neat concepts that only get used for one short level.

The game could really use an expansion pack when the eShop launched (yes I know it wont happen).

Top Bottom