• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Bernbaum said:
That would be number 75, to be exact...
Here, hope these help:

Milpool said:
Another clue-
The location is related to the 3rd rocket belt mission on gold
Neuromancer said:
Location 75 is located north-east off the mainland, out over the water. That one rocket belt mission should have put you right on top of it though.
Milpool said:
Yeah it's a pain in the ass to find. The easiest way I find is to
take off at night time with the normal plane and immidietly fly straight up to 130m(427ft?) and keep flying forwards and you should run into it.

Damn the diamond missions. Damn them all. I spent probably two hours or maybe more on the diamond-class rocket belt stage before I got a perfect. Two more left to perfect and my game will be 100% but these final missions. Gah, perfecting them is a pain.

B.K.

I played a bit last night and got three stars on all the missions up to Platinum. Those are going to be the hard ones. Especially with the balloon mission.

herod said:
Finally done.

11l3k87.jpg
71gsbl.jpg

As I said previously, Mission Mode can be 'seen' inside 3 hours. Getting 3 stars on the Diamond missions is where it actually starts to get challenging, shame there is no progress after this. You definitely should be considering Free Flight Mode to get value out of the package. It really really really needs more Mission Mode substance, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I just found out the in-game clock is bs. It doesn't count the time if you retry -- only if you manage to finish and then make it to the save screen. The real time is on the 3DS console.

For example, the Pilotwings game itself says I've played for 13:16:45

the 3DS activity log has me at 31 hours and 52 minutes!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I've played around 5 hours of Pilotwings Resort so far, trying to get 3 stars per mission. I'm on the gold missions currently. Though, afterwards I'm going to attempt perfect scores on each mission.

I've only tried free flight mode once, so I think theres more to collect there. So far I'm really liking Pilotwings Resort, I actually think the 3D effect adds a lot to the gameplay and immersion.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If Nintendo was a normal company they would release DLC content for this game and it would be awesome.

dvolovets

This game is more addicting than it has any right to be. You'd think it's light on content, but the allure of finding that last white balloon in Free Flight is too strong to resist...

I finally got a perfect on the plane diamond-class mission. Now the only thing left is the cycle-glider one. One mission left standing between me and 100% completion!

I also unlocked the extra I location and diorama. It's awesome!!

110418_174653.jpg
110418_175133.jpg

Total actual playtime though is 35 hours and 21 minutes -- as recorded in the 3DS software library page.

This game was awesome! 100% completion feels quite accomplishing too! I never looked at a Faq nor guide at all either. This is the first Pilotwings game I've managed to get 100% on. I think a huge motivator was the lack of a Pilotwings game within the past 12+ years. Thanks for bringing one of my favorite series back Nintendo! Now Pilotwings 64 on the VC please! Oh better yet, a 3D remake!

dwu8991

Banned
Mockingbird said:
110418_174653.jpg
110418_175133.jpg

Total actual playtime though is 35 hours and 21 minutes -- as recorded in the 3DS software library page.

This game was awesome! 100% completion feels quite accomplishing too! I never looked at a Faq nor guide at all either. This is the first Pilotwings game I've managed to get 100% on. I think a huge motivator was the lack of a Pilotwings game within the past 12+ years. Thanks for bringing one of my favorite series back Nintendo! Now Pilotwings 64 on the VC please! Oh better yet, a 3D remake!

That's really really crazy gaming! I think in some ways by having just the one stage it helps people replay the game more than they otherwise would.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I 3-starred Diamond the other day. I spent about 2 and quarter hours on mission mode, and about 4 and a half altogether. I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't feel satisfied at the end. It felt like I was just getting started. Hopefully they revisit the game with DLC or a sequel.

Mockingbird said:
110418_174653.jpg
110418_175133.jpg

Congrats!

gingerbeardman said:
Congrats!

Thanks!

Ushojax said:
I 3-starred Diamond the other day. I spent about 2 and quarter hours on mission mode, and about 4 and a half altogether. I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't feel satisfied at the end. It felt like I was just getting started. Hopefully they revisit the game with DLC or a sequel.

You didn't feel satisfied because you didn't red star them all! One thing that has yet to be mentioned anywhere is that if you perfect all missions you're also greeted to a second version of the ending credits =) Go for it!

Boney

Banned
Congratulations dude!

I had 4 missions left to red star, Diamond class and the photo glider mission. And one ring in free flight. Too bad the baby is gone now.

The game is not very difficult... 3 Red Stars are easily obtainable... but I just can't land the plane perfectly...

Any tips?

I have 3 Red Stars in Training, Bronze and Silver... but the plane landing takes me hours to get the 3 Red Stars.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ushojax said:
Apparently the game doesn't track the time spent retries in mission mode.
You have probably spent way more than that playing the game, check it out on the console's playtime tracker instead of the in-game one.

B.K.

I finally three starred Platinum last night. I spent over a hour on the balloon popping jet pack mission. That was the most frustrating mission in the entire game. Was the jetpack so hard to use in Pilotwings 64, too? I don't remember it being so bad. I always had more trouble with the hang glider in it, but the glider is one of the easiest in Resort.

Just unlocked all of the dioramas available for the plane's stunt rings in free flight mode. Finding the last two took me forever. Still have a long way to go in unlocking everything.

And yeah, the rocket pack is hard as shut to control. I doubt that I'll ever 3 star all of it's missions, let alone red star them!

Fernando Rocker said:
The game is not very difficult... 3 Red Stars are easily obtainable... but I just can't land the plane perfectly...

Any tips?

I have 3 Red Stars in Training, Bronze and Silver... but the plane landing takes me hours to get the 3 Red Stars.
Low approach and speed control is the key for plane landing. After that it's "just" judging where to touch down to stop at the shadow.

Yes Boss!

B.K. said:
I finally three starred Platinum last night. I spent over a hour on the balloon popping jet pack mission. That was the most frustrating mission in the entire game. Was the jetpack so hard to use in Pilotwings 64, too? I don't remember it being so bad. I always had more trouble with the hang glider in it, but the glider is one of the easiest in Resort.
I'v always found the jet pack on the Pilorwing games very easy...just lay of the gas and then turn then give it a little gas at the end of your turn to be suppee accurate and quick.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I finally found all locations and unlocked Platinum, after 12 hours.

Such a good game, I don't want it to end.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
B.K. said:
I'm missing about eight balloons in free flight and I have no idea where they are or what vehicle they're for.
Highlight a vehicle then hit X and it'll tell you which vehicle you're missing the balloons for.

DJ88

Add me to the list of all perfects.

Still missing somethings in free flight mode but, I'm so glad I got those perfects out of the way. I couldn't rest easy until I did.

lfyTO.jpg

1jmX8.jpg

80DIj.jpg

fuck it i'll buy Pilotwings

it's the only game next to Ridge Racer that holds any interest for me on the 3DS right now... heyyyyyy Ridge Racerrr that's not a bad idea....

herod

Mockingbird said:
The real time is on the 3DS console.

For example, the Pilotwings game itself says I've played for 13:16:45

the 3DS activity log has me at 31 hours and 52 minutes!

The activity log measures everything, not just playtime. You could leave it on the menu screen and it would tick over on the activity log.

Regardless, the fact remains that it's not a very high content game, with a whole bunch of reused assets which I've played through thoroughly before (as much as I enjoyed free flight, it's exactly the same gameplay as seen in Wii Sports Resort) for a pretty high RRP. Gyrocopter, parachuting, a new island, these kind of things could have really added a lot of value.

Finding the last couple of balloons and Mii Trophies is a bitch :lol But I don't want to use a guide yet.

Platinum missions on three stars is also quitte difficult and I don't I'll ever get those. Nevertheless an awesome game and I never thought I'd put more than 20 hours in this game. Loving it!

herod said:
The activity log measures everything, not just playtime. You could leave it on the menu screen and it would tick over on the activity log.

Regardless, the fact remains that it's not a very high content game, with a whole bunch of reused assets which I've played through thoroughly before (as much as I enjoyed free flight, it's exactly the same gameplay as seen in Wii Sports Resort) for a pretty high RRP. Gyrocopter, parachuting, a new island, these kind of things could have really added a lot of value.

You think I leave my 3ds on when I'm not playing it (aside from streetpass) Sure there may be 10 mins of menu screen/diorama viewing but at least 30 of those hours were definitely playtime. The Mission playtime doesn't count the playtime if you go to retry or turn it off before saving.

Edit: also congrats to dj88.

herod

Mockingbird said:
You think I leave my 3ds on when I'm not playing it (aside from streetpass) Sure there may be 10 mins of menu screen/diorama viewing but at least 30 of those hours were definitely playtime. The Mission playtime doesn't count the playtime if you go to retry or turn it off before saving.

Edit: also congrats to dj88.
All i'm pointing out is that neither is an accurate measure of playtime, and doesn't alter the point that there isn't much in the way of unique content, so it's really a measure of how much you can stand to re-play the same couple of hours worth of gameplay to perfection.

There is a theme in this thread that it's either a 3 hour game or a 30 hour game; basically to me it's both. If the gameplay doesn't really click with you you're not going to get close to 30 hours out of it. It's easy to see where the reviewers who complained about content were coming from, because there could easily have been so much more.

How easily?

Another 3, 6 or 12 months development time?

I have no idea as I don't work in the industry, but I have a hunch the game is the size it is so that it could be a launch title.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I went back to GOLD missions to three-stars them but I can't seem to understand how to get the TIME Bonus on the night glider mission (reaching 500m height is not a problem, neither getting all the capsules).
I always get 0 points for TIME, I don't even know what time I should try to accomplish, tips?

Milpool

Dash Kappei said:
I went back to GOLD missions to three-stars them but I can't seem to understand how to get the TIME Bonus on the night glider mission (reaching 500m height is not a problem, neither getting all the capsules).
I always get 0 points for TIME, I don't even know what time I should try to accomplish, tips?

Landing before the countdown will get you no time bonus, I think it's within 6 seconds of the timer ending for the maximum bonus.

Top Bottom