• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork Media: The 50 Best Albums of 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Pitchfork is often maligned for their elitism of music. While aiming to maintain their 'hip' status, they tend to come across as contradictory, stuck-up, and downright nauseating. However, P4K can be used as a valuable tool for finding obscure and overlooked gems. A glance over their latest list, the best of 2008, proves once again I haven't heard all there is to hear this year.

You can find a write-up of each album here.

50. Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual
49. Crystal Stilts - Alight of Night
48. High Places - High Places
47. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
46. Beach House - Devotion
45. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
44. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It
43. Shearwater - Rook
42. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Lie Down in the Light
41. David Byrne and Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
40. The Very Best - Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit are the Very Best
39. Times New Viking - Rip It Off
38. The Bug - London Zoo
37. Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
36. Wale - The Mixtape About Nothing
35. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
34. Arthur Russell - Love Is Overtaking Me
33. Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
32. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
31. Fennesz - Black Sea
30. Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
29. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
28. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
27. Max Tundra - Parallax Error Beheads You
26. Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
25. Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
24. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
23. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
22. Santogold - Santogold
21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
20. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
19. The Walkmen - You & Me
18. The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
17. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
16. Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls
15. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
14. Air France - No Way Down
13. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
12. Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too
11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
10. DJ/rupture - Uproot
9. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
8. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
7. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
6. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
5. Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
3. No Age - Nouns
2. Portishead - Third
1. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes

Diablos

They put Saturdays=Youth at #8? Really?

It doesn't even deserve to be in the top 50. Not saying it's bad, but it's not AOTY material.

pakkit

Banned
Kanye making the list made me "lol". The way the P4k list is assembled is by having all the people vote on the staff, which is why JT and Kanye almost always make the list. It's also why their lists tend to be uninteresting, and more indicative of the indie "scene" as a whole. Fleet Foxes and TV on the Radio will be sweeping a lot of lists.

BTW, where is GAF's end of year thread?

Odrion

Banned
Mutagenic said:
However, P4K can be used as a valuable tool for finding obscure and overlooked gems. A glance over their latest list, the best of 2008, proves once again I haven't heard all there is to hear this year.
no they can't because they omitted several great albums for a bunch of albums they even rated 7/10 themselves because the albums weren't popular enough

fuck these guys, read tinymixtapes

Keatsta

Neo Member
I loved Fleet Foxes quite a bit, but I can't help feeling that there's something I'm still missing with them.

pakkit

Banned
Odrion said:
no they can't because they omitted several great albums for a bunch of albums they rated 7/10 because they weren't popular

fuck these guys, read tinymixtapes
CokeMachineGlow and Metacritic Forums, here.

Mifune

Mehmber
I liked that Vampire Weekend disc but they were so incredibly awful live that I pretty much lost any respect I had for them.

Odrion

Banned
they put crystal castles at #15, either this year was terrible for music or these guys lost their minds
well, least they gave these two props for a pretty good record

Odrion

Banned
Lazy vs Crazy said:
It's Pitchfork dude
they gave the album a 7.8 (agreeable score, some good parts but the album is pretty much a myspace mixtape of whatever songs they made) and think it's worthy of the #15 spot, under what circumstances i don't know

Keatsta said:
Yeah, especially since they gave the album 8/10.
Plus they gave the Fleet Foxes the win based on an EP and an album. Not only did the Mountain Goats put out a great album, but they also put out two very good EPs.

Flynn

Mifune said:
The only thing worse than the Pitchfork Top 50 is the inevitable GAF bitching about the Pitchfork Top 50.

I have no problem with the list. Good stuff on there. Some lame stuff on there. My feelings aren't hurt. Will probably check out things I haven't copped yet. I'm richer for their making a list.

Mifune

Mehmber
Odrion said:
they gave the album a 7.8 (agreeable score, some good parts but the album is pretty much a myspace mixtape of whatever songs they made) and think it's worthy of the #15 spot, under what circumstances i don't know

There are more opinions involved than that of the original reviewer.

Odrion

Banned
Mifune said:
if they publish the score, they should stick with the score

i cannot see anyone thinking the album is anything above 7/10 either

Bulerias

Banned
Why are all these albums hip-hop/rock/rap/etc? I think if these guys heard any of the truly great flamenco albums that came out this year (Chicuelo's Diapasion instantly comes to mind), they'd be near the top of their lists.

Flynn

Mifune said:

I'm glad you came into say this so I didn't have to double post. That first review is one person's opinion. The list is a survey of all their writers. Also, stop obsessing over review scores and you'll live longer.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Bulerias said:
Why are all these albums hip-hop/rock/rap/etc? I think if these guys heard any of the truly great flamenco albums that came out this year (Chicuelo's Diapasion instantly comes to mind), they'd be near the top of their lists.

What the? :lol

I'm sure some great Chinese Opera came out his year too, WHY THE FUCK ISN'T IT ON THE LIST?!

Keatsta

Neo Member
Lazy vs Crazy said:
Plus they gave the Fleet Foxes the win based on an EP and an album. Not only did the Mountain Goats put out a great album, but they also put out two very good EPs.
They probably still would have given the Fleet Foxes s/t 1st even without Sun Giant, though. I almost think they forgot about Heretic Pride, though. It wasn't even an honorable mention.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mifune said:
The only thing worse than the Pitchfork Top 50 is the inevitable GAF bitching about the Pitchfork Top 50.
That's the best part of the list going up:lol .

Kanye *ugh* No Reverend and the Makers or Thievery Corporation? P4K fails yet again.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm glad to see Fleet Foxes getting some respect... and somehow I missed out on the new Bonnie Prince Billy album, I must get that. Master and Everyone is one of my favorites, so I'm sure I will love his new one.

Despite what some people think in this thread (who I never agree with musically anyway) I'm glad M83 and Cut Copy are getting some nods on lists for AOTY. Both albums are my personal favorite for 2008. I saw both acts live twice and the album material translates so well into a live setting, much better than Vampire Weekend's debut, which is alright but not Top 10 worthy IMO.

Odrion

Banned
Well, the top 10 is pretty accurate. Glad they didn't act predictable and hand #1 to Deerhunter. (I like the album, but man Portishead and Fleet Foxes albums were incredible.)

Where the heck is that guy with the Godspeed You! avatar, he must be happy Deerhunter is getting cred.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bulerias said:
They never really figure 'world' music into the rankings. They had a separate article picking the best in dancehall music for the year but none show up in their top 50 list. That's the indie scene for ya.

devilhawk

Bulerias said:
There is rock on this list?

Keatsta

Neo Member
Odrion said:
Well, the top 10 is pretty accurate. Glad they didn't act predictable and hand #1 to Deerhunter. (I like the album, but man Portishead and Fleet Foxes albums were incredible.)

Where the heck is that guy with the Godspeed You! avatar, he must be happy Deerhunter is getting cred.
I was predicting TV on the Radio in first, actually. It won the reader poll hands down.

giga

Mutagenic said:
Pitchfork is often maligned for their elitism of music. While aiming to maintain their 'hip' status, they tend to come across as contradictory, stuck-up, and downright nauseating. However, P4K can be used as a valuable tool for finding obscure and overlooked gems. A glance over their latest list, the best of 2008, proves once again I haven't heard all there is to hear this year.

You can find a write-up of each album here.

50. Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual
49. Crystal Stilts - Alight of Night
48. High Places - High Places
47. The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
46. Beach House - Devotion
45. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
44. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It
43. Shearwater - Rook
42. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Lie Down in the Light
40. The Very Best - Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit are the Very Best
39. Times New Viking - Rip It Off
38. The Bug - London Zoo
37. Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
36. Wale - The Mixtape About Nothing
35. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
34. Arthur Russell - Love Is Overtaking Me
33. Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
32. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
31. Fennesz - Black Sea
30. Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
29. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
28. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
27. Max Tundra - Parallax Error Beheads You
26. Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
25. Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
24. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
23. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
22. Santogold - Santogold
21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
20. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
19. The Walkmen - You & Me
18. The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
17. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
16. Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls
15. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
14. Air France - No Way Down
13. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
12. Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too
11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
10. DJ/rupture - Uproot
9. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
8. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
7. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
6. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
5. Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
3. No Age - Nouns
2. Portishead - Third
1. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes
I made a thread about #14. <_<

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346026

Mifune

Mehmber
Flynn said:
I have no problem with the list. Good stuff on there. Some lame stuff on there. My feelings aren't hurt. Will probably check out things I haven't copped yet. I'm richer for their making a list.

I've always liked Pitchfork, but their year end list carries an air of "we know everything about everything" that is just plain annoying. Yes, they know a lot about music (primarily indie rock) but it's when they pretend to be experts on hip-hop, dance, electronic, THE MUSICAL ZEITGEIST, that I just have to throw up my hands and say, "Okay guys, enough."

I think I'm just getting old and cranky.

Alucard

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the TV on the Radio album is...unimpressive and forgettable, and oftentimes unlistenable?

I'm a little surprised at all the bitching about the list. Despite some odd choices (Vampire Weekend in the top 10 and Kanye), this is a pretty good list. There are a lot of GREAT albums in there, stuff that really should be heard no matter what you think of Pitchfork or whatever your opinion is of the indie scene.

Reave

Solo said:
Ive only even heard of 9 of these bands/performers. Music elitist, I am not :lol
I don't recognize a lot of the artists on the list either. I'll probably search and sample their stuff through iTunes clips, just for perspective.

Pitchfork reviews are pretty much verbal masturbation sessions. I can't take anything they say seriously.

Edit:
Am I the only one who thinks the TV on the Radio album is...unimpressive and forgettable, and oftentimes unlistenable?

No, you're not. But then again, they'll never top their Desperate Youth album.

nitewulf

wow...very high position for Cut/Copy which is pretty much a mainstream pop album. I mean i love it, but then it begs the question why they omit a single album by Pearl Jam or STP from their best of 90's list. I'm sorry but a masterpiece like Vs. is too conventional for their 90's list? yet a sugar pop album is fine for 4th position in 08?

uuhhh...

anyway, there are some excellent choices in the top 50, specially surprised they liked Hercules & Love Affair and Lindstrom so much. Crystal Castles though...ionno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom