• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork Media: The 50 Best Albums of 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mifune said:
I liked that Vampire Weekend disc but they were so incredibly awful live that I pretty much lost any respect I had for them.
I saw them a few months ago and it was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to, very energetic.

What was wrong with it?

nitewulf

Bulerias said:
Why are all these albums hip-hop/rock/rap/etc? I think if these guys heard any of the truly great flamenco albums that came out this year (Chicuelo's Diapasion instantly comes to mind), they'd be near the top of their lists.
hah! and now you're beginning to see the limits of "indie" websites. world music is pretty much absent, always. aside from fela cuti remastered albums or similar stuff. i never saw any mid-eastern pop/rock in these lists, ever. these guys dont have a lot of respect for world music.

Unlimited4s said:
I saw them a few months ago and it was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to, very energetic.

What was wrong with it?

My friend said the same thing about Coldplay until I took him to a Girl Talk show. :lol

Compared to every band I've seen live this year, Vampire Weekend is a snooze fest. Don't get me wrong, they have some catchy tunes, but when I saw them twice (once on tour with YACHT and once more at Pitchfork Festival) it was just sorta blah, IMO.

Kevtones

Have these:

48. High Places - High Places
46. Beach House - Devotion
45. Lykke Li - Youth Novels
44. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It
43. Shearwater - Rook
42. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Lie Down in the Light
41. David Byrne and Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
39. Times New Viking - Rip It Off
38. The Bug - London Zoo
37. Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
35. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
33. Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
32. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
30. Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
28. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
26. Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
25. Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
20. Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
19. The Walkmen - You & Me
18. The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
17. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
16. Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls
15. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
9. Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
8. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
7. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
6. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
5. Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
4. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
3. No Age - Nouns
2. Portishead - Third
1. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes lost me after a bit. It didn't have the staying power to contend as a AOTY to me. Very surprised that No Age placed as highly as it did, and I'm totally in agreement that Saturdays=Youth was actually very good. It was a grower on me but I love it. Deerhunter obviously should've been #1 and if anything, I expected Hercules and the Love Affair or TVOTR to snag #1.

Odrion said:
Well, the top 10 is pretty accurate. Glad they didn't act predictable and hand #1 to Deerhunter. (I like the album, but man Portishead and Fleet Foxes albums were incredible.)

Where the heck is that guy with the Godspeed You! avatar, he must be happy Deerhunter is getting cred.

Here. Only fifth? Fucking bullshit shenanniganners. Where is Karma Kramer (GAF's resident Pitchfork employee). They were #14 last year if I recall correctly. Glad to see Bradford's solo come in at #26 as well. His unreleased second album (that got leaked) is probably his best work though. Logos is amazing.

Mifune said:
I liked that Vampire Weekend disc but they were so incredibly awful live that I pretty much lost any respect I had for them.

Yeah I saw them on SNL and hoped it was just because it was televised then I saw them recently and they were horrendous. Like shit-inducing bad.

Odrion

Banned
i'm going to appeal to gaming gaf right now in an attempt to get them to listen to some good music

if you like chrono trigger's soundtrack, pick up Fleet Foxes' album, they said it was an influence to their music (in response to everyone saying it sounded like FF8 or 10) and after playing the game this year I can hear it (especially Blue Mountain Ridge)
Here. Only fifth? Fucking bullshit shenanniganners. Where is Karma Kramer (GAF's resident Pitchfork employee). They were #14 last year if I recall correctly. Glad to see Bradford's solo come in at #26 as well. His unreleased second album (that got leaked) is probably his best work though. Logos is amazing.
if it makes you feel any better ANY double album making the top 10 is an incredible feat

Mifune

Mehmber
Unlimited4s said:

What was wrong with it?

Awful technical issues, so much so that they spent almost all of their between-song banter on apologies for the issues.

Very very sloppy playing. A couple mess-ups and start overs.

They had a nice string section onstage with them. Unfortunately you couldn't hear them at all. The mix was really bad.

Not all of this is the band's fault exactly, but it is the kind of stuff that you expect to be ironed out once they've been performing for a while.

Honestly it felt like amateur hour.

Alucard

Banned
pizzaguysrevenge said:
I don't understand indie rock. Every song sounds exactly the same!

I suppose it depends what you are listening to. I can pretty much say that your statement is false based on my own experience with indie rock. The variation between a band like The National and Vampire Weekend is like a giant chasm between two opposing poles.

Costanza

Banned
36: Wale
The Mixtape About Nothing
[self-released]

D.C. rapper releases a mixtape based around "Seinfeld", complete with clips from the show and an appearance, midway through, from fucking Elaine Benes. And no, Adult Swim has nothing to do with it. Wale, on the cusp of breaking out for a few years now, translates the sitcom's nihilism of minor differences to his own idea of hip-hop culture. The kid can rap his ass off, as we learn on the joyous, seemingly never-ending freestyle over "Roc Boys" (on which he thanks his "connects": "MySpace, Facebook, don't forget MapQuest"), or this example of self-effacing braggadocio, from "The Crazy": "I ain't sayin' that I'm Nasir, I'm just sayin' rap's dead when I'm not here." Sure, he can (and does) milk a gimmick, but the real truth here comes from his scathing clarion call to "post-Napster" rap fans on "The Perfect Plan" ("some say rap is dead...buy an album."), and "The Kramer", which segues from a clip of Michael Richards' onstage racist outburst to an insightful treatise on the unintended circulation of the n-word. --Eric Harvey
holy shit where can I listen to this

Odrion

Banned
pizzaguysrevenge said:
I don't understand indie rock. Every song sounds exactly the same!
i sort of agree with this, there's a lot of stuff that can be summed up with "nasally white guy singing over out of tune guitars" but the solution is usually to listen to better albums

Kevtones

Odrion said:
i'm going to appeal to gaming gaf right now in an attempt to get them to listen to some good music

if you like chrono trigger's soundtrack, pick up Fleet Foxes' album, they said it was an influence to their music (in response to everyone saying it sounded like FF8 or 10) and after playing the game this year I can hear it (especially Blue Mountain Ridge)

if it makes you feel any better ANY double album making the top 10 is an incredible feat

I didn't know about the whole Fleet Foxes/gaming relation - time to do some comparisons over break.

The whole Deerhunter thing is tricky because its interesting to think about how they would've done without insanely early leaks. Had Microcastle not leaked 5 months early it might've blown everyone away, but then the double album wouldn't have happened. Weird Era Cont. was recorded because of the leak, but then was leaked (along with Logos) back in August (killing the surprise again). Regardless, I'm actually happy they're becoming a mainstay because as you can tell, I'm in the camp that thinks that Bradford Cox and company are some of the defining talents of this generation. Guy is just prolific and versatile as they come. His output is like if Robert Pollard had a laptop and cared to release everything.

Keatsta

Neo Member
Also, what's with Pitchfork's fascination with Li'l Wayne? Do they just not know any better rappers or does he really appeal in some way that's beyond me?

Mifune

Mehmber
Kevtones -

Cryptograms did very little for me, but thanks to your constant pimpage of Microcastle I picked it up and...holy hell it's good. So good that now I'm gonna have to re-examine Crypto.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Kevtones said:
I didn't know about the whole Fleet Foxes/gaming relation - time to do some comparisons over break.

The whole Deerhunter thing is tricky because its interesting to think about how they would've done without insanely early leaks. Had Microcastle not leaked 5 months early it might've blown everyone away, but then the double album wouldn't have happened. Weird Era Cont. was recorded because of the leak, but then was leaked (along with Logos) back in August (killing the surprise again). Regardless, I'm actually happy they're becoming a mainstay because as you can tell, I'm in the camp that thinks that Bradford Cox and company are some of the defining talents of this generation. Guy is just prolific and versatile as they come. His output is like if Robert Pollard had a laptop and cared to release everything.
I'm a little puzzled by your undying fascination with Cox. He's good, yes. I love Microcastle and have for many, many months. But I'm happy it didn't crack the top 3. The album slows to a crawl at times and becomes somewhat uninteresting. The leak should have no bearing on the ranking, because a good album always wins out no matter the release date.

Keatsta said:
I loved Fleet Foxes quite a bit, but I can't help feeling that there's something I'm still missing with them.

You absolutely, positively need to see them play LIVE to really appreciate how good they are. The mix on their CDs is actually subdued compared to how they play. The power of their combined voices, plus their increased intensity live, make for an amazing show. That and they're a bunch of funny, humble, affable guys in between songs. I wasn't more impressed by a live show this year.

Kevtones

tinymixtapes list better anyway - they've got Deerhunter at #1, and both Beach House and Times New Viking in the top 10. I LOVED Rip It Off~

AdmiralA

Banned
Diablos said:
They put Saturdays=Youth at #8? Really?

It doesn't even deserve to be in the top 50. Not saying it's bad, but it's not AOTY material.

i've never seen this much fail in a first post.

you are a fucking idiot.

Vicious

I hardly ever agree with Pitchfork's ratings, but I like using the site to remind me of new releases or finding the occasional new band.

I've never liked stuff like Deerhunter, TV on the Radio, etc... but oddly enough my favorite album of the year is also Fleet Foxes. I was surprised when I saw it at #1.

But I think the only reason it is my favorite album is that this has been a pretty weak year overall for me. In 2005 there were like 20-25 albums that I absolutely loved, this year there's only a few that I thought were just good. Fleet Foxes, The Black Keys, The Kills, Beck... there wasn't really too much that stood out for me.

I'm really hoping 2009 will be epic.

Odrion

Banned
Kevtones said:

Weird Era Cont. leaking WAS a surprise though. Having a second album leak out of no where before the first album even releases is pretty damn rare. It looked like everyone's initial thought was a big "what the fuck is this real?"

Did you read Cox's response to the whole MMP anticipation thing? Cool guy.
Total Bullshit. Someone actually had the nerve to hack into their e-mail account and send this out. The truth is that AC do not want their album to leak and are trying very hard to avoid the drama around said album that has risen to a fever pitch.

I am not trying to involve myself in AC's business, I am just voicing my own independent opinion.

Back in the 90's when I was first starting to make 4-track tapes I had a game where I would make a fake version of an album I was anticipating. If Pavement's Brighten the Corners were coming out soon, I had to wait till release day to hear it. I would record a set of songs that I would want the Pavement album to sound like. Some of those songs ended up becoming Atlas Sound and Deerhunter songs years later.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Diablos said:

It doesn't even deserve to be in the top 50. Not saying it's bad, but it's not AOTY material.
2cz920l.jpg

"Shoot this muthafucka!"

Mifune said:
Kevtones -

Cryptograms did very little for me, but thanks to your constant pimpage of Microcastle I picked it up and...holy hell it's good. So good that now I'm gonna have to re-examine Crypto.

Crypto is better...

This list is incredibly disappointing.

I will be waiting for The Music Lobby's top 50 albums... they are really the only site I look to for credible music recommendations.

Fleet Foxes is poppy and fun... but I am so done with both the EP and album, I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole thing.

Portishead is a bit overrated in my honest opinion.

No Age's Nouns, is actually probably the best thing to come out this year. It took many listens to realize this... but that album is a fucking great album.

Deerhunter's Microcastles is jammed pack with tons of awesome stuff... but it felt more like a bunch of more approachable songs, instead of a well thought out album like Person's Pitch, Nouns, or Cryptograms.

Overall this year had some awesome moments, but Pitchfork failed to notice.

Timber

critic lists are boring and too homogeneous

best way to go about finding new music imo is to go to the big ass best albums of 08 thread on the metacritic forums and find some lists that fall in line with your taste. there's a lot more interesting stuff on there than the obvious indie albums that make it to lists like pitchfork's

JimiNutz

Banned
Timber said:
critic lists are boring and too homogeneous

best way to go about finding new music imo is to go to the big ass best albums of 08 thread on the metacritic forums and find some lists that fall in line with your taste. there's a lot more interesting stuff on there than the obvious indie albums that make it to lists like pitchfork's

That's a great idea, but if you mean this thread, it's like 154 pages long :(
No way do I have time to trawl through that.

Deerhunter was maybe the worst band I saw live this year so I'm having a hard time buying that the released one of the ten best albums of the year

Kevtones

Mifune said:
Kevtones -

Since it leaked so early I was pimping it too near annoying levels I'm sure :lol Regardless, if you do give Cryptograms another shot, DEFINITELY get ahold of their EP Fluorescent Grey that came out right after. It is more in line with Microcastle and has some of their best work (plus their best freakrockout in 'Wash Off').

Mutagenic said:
I'm a little puzzled by your undying fascination with Cox. He's good, yes. I love Microcastle and have for many, many months. But I'm happy it didn't crack the top 3. The album slows to a crawl at times and becomes somewhat uninteresting. The leak should have no bearing on the ranking, because a good album always wins out no matter the release date.

I got into Deerhunter real big when Cryptograms came out and then was a daily visiter to the Deerhunter blog when it started back in June 07. Through lots of replies, I actually got to know Bradford a bit and we've had somewhat of a correspondence since via email (and I've met him a couple times). He's a genuine guy that really, really loves music and his knowledge of it is amazing. His blog has also been amazing for fans as he's released over 100 tracks of his on the blog in the past year. So along with the two Deerhunter records (one of which is a double), his two solo records (one of which got leaked), he has put out 100+ other great tracks (despite cutting back during touring season).

Basically, he is the best possible guy to be a favorite. He is prolific and interesting, and if you like his music, he's really unmatched on the scene right now.

Also, Microcastle isn't perfect, which means they've yet to release their best.

Kevtones... do you like "Nothing Ever Happened"... honestly... if that song didn't appear on Micro... I would have been a lot happier. Idk... that song just doesn't feel like Deerhunter to me.

Timber

NutJobJim said:
That's a great idea, but if you mean this thread, it's like 154 pages long :(
No way do I have time to trawl through that.
I've only gotten about 3 pages in :D. if I've tried everything from the lists that I like then I'll check out some more

its still quite indie-centric but there's a hell of lot more variation and some people willing to look beyond the albums du jour

edit : i mean this thread by the way

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Diablos said:

Was much of anything this year AotY material? A good 90% of the records I heard this year sounded like demos preceding an legitimately great sophomore effort.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wait a minute no sigur ros? There hasn't been much hype surrounding their album, but it was seriously brilliant.

Kevtones

Karma Kramer said:
Crypto is better...

This list is incredibly disappointing.

I will be waiting for The Music Lobby's top 50 albums... they are really the only site I look to for credible music recommendations.

Fleet Foxes is poppy and fun... but I am so done with both the EP and album, I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole thing.

Portishead is a bit overrated in my honest opinion.

No Age's Nouns, is actually probably the best thing to come out this year. It took many listens to realize this... but that album is a fucking great album.

Deerhunter's Microcastles is jammed pack with tons of awesome stuff... but it felt more like a bunch of more approachable songs, instead of a well thought out album like Person's Pitch, Nouns, or Cryptograms.

Overall this year had some awesome moments, but Pitchfork failed to notice.

Did you get ahold of Logos? I can see what you're saying about Microcastle, and in some ways, I still prefer Cryptograms/Fluorescent Grey because its more interesting. There are more song/songs on MC but as a whole it doesn't feel as singular and striking as Cryptograms did for me. That said, I hope they lean towards the sound found on 'Wash Off' in the future, as seen on 'Nothing Ever Happened', they do best when they rock the fuck out.

Ditto on Nouns, it took awhile and I had thought it was a lesser version of Weirdo Rippers till it clicked.

Odrion said:
Weird Era Cont. leaking WAS a surprise though. Having a second album leak out of no where before the first album even releases is pretty damn rare. It looked like everyone's initial thought was a big "what the fuck is this real?"

Did you read Cox's response to the whole MMP anticipation thing? Cool guy.

Yeah, definitely. He can come off wrong (which is even seen in his post, with him slightly pre-defending himself), but in general, the guy is very in the know.

Mifune

Mehmber
Timber said:
I've only gotten about 3 pages in :D. if I've tried everything from the lists that I like then I'll check out some more

its still quite indie-centric but there's a hell of lot more variation and some people willing to look beyond the albums du jour

Three pages in and they already mentions two of my 2008 faves: Black Mountain and British Sea Power.

Might have to check this forum out more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom