• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork Media: The 50 Best Albums of 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevtones

Karma Kramer said:
Kevtones... do you like "Nothing Ever Happened"... honestly... if that song didn't appear on Micro... I would have been a lot happier. Idk... that song just doesn't feel like Deerhunter to me.

The three-minute outro of the song is probably my favorite moment of the year actually. It sort of picks up the last third of album after that obscure middle section.

I can see the verse/chorus parts not clicking and the sing identical with guitar melody element being a bit passe though. I dig the intro/outro to incredible levels though.

JimiNutz

Banned
Timber said:
I've only gotten about 3 pages in :D. if I've tried everything from the lists that I like then I'll check out some more

its still quite indie-centric but there's a hell of lot more variation and some people willing to look beyond the albums du jour

edit : i mean this thread by the way

Thanks.
I'll get reading :D

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
This is the worst Pitchfork end of year list so far. Hercules and Love Affair and Portishead's albums were much, much better than the Fleet Foxes', who had a couple of really great singles over the year, but failed to deliver a really engaging album. I don't think Cut / Copy or M83 deserved to be in the top 10, either. I'm tempted to say the same about Vampire Weekend, too.

A couple of great singles on an album does not necessarily make a great album, Pitchfork.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Karma Kramer said:
Kevtones would you agree that atlas sound > mircocastle?
I would disagree with that, and maybe the same for Logos. Cox is such a strong personality that I think it helps him to have other people to diffuse his ideas a little bit.

Kevtones

Karma Kramer said:
Kevtones would you agree that atlas sound > mircocastle?

Depending which Atlas Sound record you're referencing. I liked his first foray (and all his blog stuff), but I wasn't quite as hooked into as I thought I'd be initially. I did come back to it after hearing Logos and I've found more appreciation for it. Right now, it seems pretty close and depending on my mood it could go either way. I'd say Microcastle is probably going to have a shorter length in my rotation though.

Logos is actually my favorite thing done by Bradford or Deerhunter. Its a shame it may never be properly released.

Calcaneus

Lil Wayne #11? :lol

Ok Pitchfork, you understand indie music much more than I ever will. But just stay out of hip-hop discussions, for everyone's sake.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Calcaneus said:
Lil Wayne #11? :lol

Ok Pitchfork, you understand indie music much more than I ever will. But just stay out of hip-hop discussions, for everyone's sake.

Its a good album. It deserves its spot.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
And yeah kind of disappointed in this list, I usually like Pitchforks lists too.

Los Campesinos is too far down the list, Fleet Foxes is good but not Album of the Year, I don't know music is so subjective though. Overall its not a bad list.

7Th

Pitchfork's lists are usually a total joke, but the absence of Deathconsciousness and Eternal Return is specially insulting.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
7Th said:
Pitchfork's lists are usually a total joke, but the absence of Deathconsciousness and Eternal Return is specially insulting.
Deathconsciousness needed some serious editing.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
for getting a 9.1........why isn't Hercules and love affair on the list.

I think they flat out forgot.

MMaRsu said:
21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak

fail list is fail

it shouldn't even be on there
No. 808s & Heartbreak is awesome.

And I'm glad I'm seeing more Fleet Foxes fans around here. Definitely my favorite album of the year as well, and I love Pitchfork for pointing me to them.

Also, Elbow's Seldom Seen Kid deserved a spot.

Tokubetsu

MMaRsu said:
21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak

fail list is fail

it shouldn't even be on there
No, it deserves to be there. One of the most exciting and better albums of the year.

I'd put M83 a bit lower but I agree with the list for the most part. More Fleet Floxes, Deerhunter and Santogold love!

Kevtones said:
Depending which Atlas Sound record you're referencing. I liked his first foray (and all his blog stuff), but I wasn't quite as hooked into as I thought I'd be initially. I did come back to it after hearing Logos and I've found more appreciation for it. Right now, it seems pretty close and depending on my mood it could go either way. I'd say Microcastle is probably going to have a shorter length in my rotation though.

Logos is actually my favorite thing done by Bradford or Deerhunter. Its a shame it may never be properly released.

Alright now I feel embarrassed. Whats "Logos?"

I was simply referring to Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel. Which I think might be my personal album of the year.

Oozer3993

Where is Fearless by Taylor Swift? Screw you Pitchfork, you credibility-less hacks! Your list is full of fail for not including it!

Why are so many critics fawning over "The Carter III?" It's a bad album. It has Bobby Valentino parroting the sound of a siren for crissakes. I'd expect that from Raffi but not from a legitimate rapper.

pakkit

Banned
effingvic said:
Vampire Weekend and TV on the Radio on the top 10? Give me a fucking break.

Ugh. So much for their credibility.
Wat.

This thread has a lot of indie-cred wanking. Pitchfork is pretty much in tune to hit "generic indie listener's" anal g-spot.

pakkit said:
Wat.

This thread has a lot of indie-cred wanking. Pitchfork is pretty much in tune to hit "generic indie listener's" anal g-spot.

I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork (they are so hit and miss with their reviews and they have a huge sense of self satisfaction), but they're so much more than that man. Generic indie listener is like the Shins, Death Cab, Hold Steady, etc. They go really deep and I get a lot of my new music from them and my last.fm recs.

No Metal?

Way to ignore an entire genre of Music.

Pathetic.

There were some on the honorable mention list.

pakkit

Banned
BrandNew said:
I'm not trying to defend Pitchfork (they are so hit and miss with their reviews and they have a huge sense of self satisfaction), but they're so much more than that man. Generic indie listener is like the Shins, Death Cab, Hold Steady, etc. They go really deep and I get a lot of my new music from them and my last.fm recs.
Shins - Major Label
Death Cab - Major Label

Their commonality is because they've bled into the mainstream, as with TV on the Radio and several other acts. When I said "general indie fan" I meant the ones that actually read/blog/go to shows.

I'm not saying that they don't bring my attention to new (and great) CDs, I was more criticizing their end of year lists. With the exception of The Knife's Silent Shout, I can't recall a "controversial" pick for the end of the year lists with Pitchfork. They always seem to vote with the general trend.

I was always curious: Where do some of you get your underground music other than Pitchfork? I've wanted something else to occupy pitchfork in my music bookmars folder

BrandNew said:
I was always curious: Where do some of you get your underground music other than Pitchfork? I've wanted something else to occupy pitchfork in my music bookmars folder

There really isn't such a place entirely... Pitchfork dictates what surfaces and what doesn't.

But I really really love themusiclobby.com ... everything is clearly presented on the site and I have found more amazing music from this site... then any other site.

pakkit

Banned
BrandNew said:
Hype Machine - It's your friend, seriously.

Metacritic Music Forum - The Best Records threads each year always point out something I wouldn't have found otherwise.

CokeMachineGlow - Smaller than Pitchfork, so they're able to highlight things that P4K might have been unable to, but similar. However, their scoring and ability to "counter point" reviews they publish is really ingenious.

Pitchfork.tv - Same people, but you just listen to the music videos and pick out stuff you like without the reviews.

Last.fm - Just listen to random radio

And then I work for the radio, so I get a whole lot of extra music to sift through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom