• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

So the Neogaf Creative Community part of the thread has already open.

Right now, I added to this post:
-kabouter
-satriales
-Moz La Punk
-Tash
-Mik2121

Some info, like the steam username, is missing from some of you (but if you dont want to give it, is not needed).

And if you want to be on the list, please, for your first post, when you want to show something creative, can you add the info in this format? Would help me a lot :D
neogaf username

STEAM username:
Best Screen:

Once done, you can post your screens, videos or steam workshop items in the normal way (just a normal post), and I will add them to your section.

This is an example of how it would look with Tash:

Lets make an expansive community out of this! :D

DD

Looks like a wonderful game. Too bad about the inclusion of Denuvo. Would buy, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like a wonderful game. Too bad about the inclusion of Denuvo. Would buy, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isn't denuvo only bad when it makes the game run bad or does some other always online shit? Because this game doesnt have any of that. You can play offline, the game runs well, and some people are already working on mods from what Ive heard, so its not stoping that either.
The game still hasnt been cracked since the alpha 3 version, and alpha 1 and 2 were cracked in a day when the game didnt have denuvo, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope I can get this creative with the game, that looks awesome!

Why thank you! But I'll keep stressing, most of the pretty buildings are from the Steam Workshop so they are by other talented players! And you can download them too! Of course once placed in the park you can edit the buildings to make them exactly like you want them.

In my humble opinion Planet Coaster is my 2016 best game of the year. Congrats Frontier. The parks that some creators are building... F Wow-

Agreed.

Edit: ill do that this weekend Ridley! Thanks!

Im fixing my first alpha 1 park (becuase beta turned it nearly unsable). to release on the workshop.
Im adding also a few things I couldnt when I made it the first time:
planetcoaster2016-11-lqukr.png

planetcoaster2016-11-ndume.png

Why thank you! But I'll keep stressing, most of the pretty buildings are from the Steam Workshop so they are by other talented players! And you can download them too! Of course once placed in the park you can edit the buildings to make them exactly like you want them.

In my humble opinion Planet Coaster is my 2016 best game of the year. Congrats Frontier. The parks that some creators are building... F Wow-

Agreed.

Edit: ill do that this weekend Ridley! Thanks!

Yup! Definetly my GOTY.
And i will update your info.

Pere

Neo Member
@Klyka has done a video to show case his park, it looks nice! He puts quite a lot of detail on the decorations so i'm eager to see a finished up park : )

Video

Wow Ridley, awesome! Makes me even more excited to start with the pirate part of my park! Still busy perfectioning the magical medieval part though and starting with the western part. Saving the best (pirate/carrebian) for last!

Edit: And I NEED to mention the soundtrack again. Damn is it good. Find myself tapping along all the way and hearing them in my head when not playing. Soundtrack of the year, easily.

hahaha - teacup hell indead

That pirate coaster entrance is super awesome!

Thank you! The main building was already done, i just need to remodel some things like the arch with the logos, and the priority queue.

Wow Ridley, awesome! Makes me even more excited to start with the pirate part of my park! Still busy perfectioning the magical medieval part though and starting with the western part. Saving the best (pirate/carrebian) for last!

Edit: And I NEED to mention the soundtrack again. Damn is it good. Find myself tapping along all the way and hearing them in my head when not playing. Soundtrack of the year, easily.

Thanks! And yes, the music is completly amazing. You have the awesome tracks duing building mode in pause, but even the tracks you can put in the rides and speakers are freaking amazing. I always laugh when I hear The Ride of the Valkiddies lol

I was ready to jump in but with an i5 4690k (@4.2Ghz) I'm not so sure anymore from what I'm reading. Can we expect some optimizations by Frontier?

Has anyone tried this out with a steam controller (and steam link)? I'm tempted to get it, but i'd rather sit in my living room and play it there (I spend all day at a desk so don't fancy spending my evenings there too).

I could see myself losing soooo many hours to this!

DrProfBitseys

Neo Member
So I never played any roller coaster games as a kid, and I'm interested in getting Plant Coaster. Am I able to do some of the absurd park set ups I've read about, and can i, uh, commit atrocities towards park goers?

I was ready to jump in but with an i5 4690k (@4.2Ghz) I'm not so sure anymore from what I'm reading. Can we expect some optimizations by Frontier?

That CPU is fine. You're going to get poorer framerate with a big, busy park but so is pretty much everyone. I suspect they'll continue to patch it and optimize, but at the end of the day it's an incredibly detailed game with thousands of assets and thousands of guests being processed in real-time; it's going to be taxing on hardware no matter what.

So I never played any roller coaster games as a kid, and I'm interested in getting Plant Coaster. Am I able to do some of the absurd park set ups I've read about, and can i, uh, commit atrocities towards park goers?

If you have the patience, there's a lot you can do with this game, although it's more or less all within the realm of possibility.

And there's an achievement for hitting X number of guests with derailed roller coasters.

Burny

One visual thing that's been bothering me with practically all PCoaster screenshots, is the aliasing. Isn't there an anti-aliasing option in there or has nobody found a good way to produce nice bullshots?

I don't mind aliasing so much ingame, but with these modern games that have very fine structures at greater distances, the staircases are very much noticable and distracting in still images.

satriales

Great job with the first post SP Ridley.

I'll take your Gulpee avatar if nobody else has pinched it yet.

What's the best way to make custom signs for your ride?

I don't know how everyone else is doing it but I used one of the editable signs and then hid all but the text into the wall.

For smaller signs you can make the letters yourself using random little objects but I haven't played with the new items enough to know which are best to use.

DD

Isn't denuvo only bad when it makes the game run bad or does some other always online shit? Because this game doesnt have any of that. You can play offline, the game runs well, and some people are already working on mods from what Ive heard, so its not stoping that either.
The game still hasnt been cracked since the alpha 3 version, and alpha 1 and 2 were cracked in a day when the game didnt have denuvo, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had some serious problems with Denuvo on F1 2016. Some crap about not reaching the servers that simply didn't let me play the game I've spent money on. So, games with Denuvo is on my nay list. :p

One visual thing that's been bothering me with practically all PCoaster screenshots, is the aliasing. Isn't there an anti-aliasing option in there or has nobody found a good way to produce nice bullshots?

I don't mind aliasing so much ingame, but with these modern games that have very fine structures at greater distances, the staircases are very much noticable and distracting in still images.

Same thing with the trees. Its much better in motion but yeah there are some sharp edges. I think it gets more noticable the more I put in the park, which is understandable as theres literally thousands of objects on screen.

I also had my first crash when loading my game just now. Kept happening and had to go back one save. So just to be sure dont overwrite one savegame too much, make a new save every now and again so you dont lose everything.

Lach

Quick question. Is there a setting to reduce (or disable) the cost of terraforming in Challenge mode? I'd love to start a completely new park but everything being flat is so boring. Putting some terain forming on it eats through all my starting money.

Made some waterfalls for my old alpha 1 park.
planetcoaster2016-11-r0ufg.png

This was the old alpha 1 version of the waterfalls lol
olde2umf.png

Great job with the first post SP Ridley.

I'll take your Gulpee avatar if nobody else has pinched it yet.

I don't know how everyone else is doing it but I used one of the editable signs and then hid all but the text into the wall.

For smaller signs you can make the letters yourself using random little objects but I haven't played with the new items enough to know which are best to use.

Yeah, you can take it if you want :D

I had some serious problems with Denuvo on F1 2016. Some crap about not reaching the servers that simply didn't let me play the game I've spent money on. So, games with Denuvo is on my nay list. :p

I understand that, but here no one is having problems with denuvo thankfully. You can even play offline and the game works, they only thing that tries to connect with the servers are the sharing option, and no message pop ups where it doesnt let you play when you dont have internet.

Pau

Hmm okay I couldn't find the editable signs in Sandbox mode but I wonder if I have to unlock them in the Campaign or Challenge mode first. (Or I'm just not looking in the right place.)

satriales

Hmm okay I couldn't find the editable signs in Sandbox mode but I wonder if I have to unlock them in the Campaign or Challenge mode first. (Or I'm just not looking in the right place.)

They are in sandbox (I haven't even tried the campaign mode at all yet) but it can be hard to find them. They are named 'editable sign' or similar, so if you just search 'edit' it should filter everything else out.

From what I found all of the editable signs are rather bright and ugly which is why I suggest hiding them in a wall except for the text.

Continued work on my park. Started a Wild West area with a wing coaster.

Added an RMC coaster to the left of the main street.

Some shots of the whole park so far

Steam username is Inaudible_Whisper if you want to add it to the Community posts Ridley! Those waterfalls are great by the way. I'm worried about overdoing the effects stuff, does it have any notable effect on the fps?

Done. Thanks, great work!

Also next time you update the OP can I choose this as my best shot:
eeBeccI.jpg

No probelm!

Continued work on my park. Started a Wild West area with a wing coaster.

Added an RMC coaster to the left of the main street.

Some shots of the whole park so far

Steam username is Inaudible_Whisper if you want to add it to the Community posts Ridley! Those waterfalls are great by the way. I'm worried about overdoing the effects stuff, does it have any notable effect on the fps?

Wow, this park look super nice!
And actually, you remmber me ranting about how sfx killed your FPS?
Not anymore, they actually fixed that, I have more than 100 water effect (not all on those waterfalls, but around the park), and the fps havent move an inch.
Frontier are squeezing everything they can making such a detailed game work, I thought SFX would be one of those impossoble to solve stuff wihtout them taking a big hit on graphics, but nope!

Also, remember that pressing "right ctrl+right shift+G" hides the UI to take screenshots.

For those of you struggling to make a custom coaster without it going red and being too scary/dangerous to ride, here's a nice tutorial that goes through all the basics.

Wow, this park look super nice!
And actually, you remmber me ranting about how sfx killed your FPS?
Not anymore, they actually fixed that, I have more than 100 water effect (not all on those waterfalls, but around the park), and the fps havent move an inch.
Frontier are squeezing everything they can making such a detailed game work, I thought SFX would be one of those impossoble to solve stuff wihtout them taking a big hit on graphics, but nope!

Also, remember that pressing "right ctrl+right shift+G" hides the UI to take screenshots.

Thanks! Awesome, I think I'll try adding a waterfall to the lake at the back of my wing coaster! And yeah, I totally need to remember to turn the UI off when taking screenshots.

For those of you struggling to make a custom coaster without it going red and being too scary/dangerous to ride, here's a nice tutorial that goes through all the basics.

Thanks! Awesome, I think I'll try adding a waterfall to the lake at the back of my wing coaster! And yeah, I totally need to remember to turn the UI off when taking screenshots.

And also, use abload instead of imgu. The compression of imgur is horrible.
http://abload.de/

Is in german, but is super easy to use. Just press the house thingy, select your screens, and upload. Then get the direct links.

I've been having a lot of fun with this game. My laptop isn't that great, so it doesn't run terribly well, but I haven't had any issues with getting the game to run. However, I do have a texture issue on track rides, where basically none of the tracks have textures. They're all just solid pitch black. So that's weird.

Hip Hop

Aside from the FPS issues (understandable for something so complex), I've been having a blast with this game.

The art style is amazing and the buildings tools are easy. Didn't even need a tutorial, just dug in and I'm no expert at these type of games.

There is a lack of rides, but hopefully that comes through in the future. I'd be happy with mini golf courses and the go karts.

Aside from the FPS issues (understandable for something so complex), I've been having a blast with this game.

The art style is amazing and the buildings tools are easy. Didn't even need a tutorial, just dug in and I'm no expert at these type of games.

There is a lack of rides, but hopefully that comes through in the future. I'd be happy with mini golf courses and the go karts.

Go Karts is probably the next free ride update, becuase it was being worked and left on the side so they had time for the water rides. They also want to create the guest actually race on the track, instead of just follow everyone like they did in RCT3.
It could not happen, or happen after some other rides, but is probably the next one IMO, and I have to bet is probably going to be free when it releases.

jorma

is now taking requests
Well i'm having fun with this game so far, the management aspects are a bit unchallenging though.
Except for the gift shops, i can't get them profitable at all. Even if i put them in the busiest section of the park, there are like 5-6 customers/month or less. Eventually the staff just get bored and quit.

Does anyone have any tips for placing them?

You guys are going to think I'm an idiot, but I literally can't figure out how to join a path to a ticket booth. I've been trying to figure it out for about 15 minutes now, and I'm stuck.

Actually, how does the ticket booth even work? There's no building or anything. I don't understand how to start a park!

You guys are going to think I'm an idiot, but I literally can't figure out how to join a path to a ticket booth. I've been trying to figure it out for about 15 minutes now, and I'm stuck.

Actually, how does the ticket booth even work? There's no building or anything. I don't understand how to start a park!

queue paths now connect automatically when you are near a normal path (there are three type of paths normal, nature, and queues. from the ride entrance you need to uses a queue path to connect it to any other normal path) you dont need a ticket booth, even if they are en the menu. They are used only for people who still want to place it manually, but i would never recommend it.

Then theres the "turnstyles" or park ticket booth that connect a notmal path to another path.

Unicorn

I really wish there was a camera mode where it was a person. Like, camera wigs out so often when I'm doing terrain stuff. If I could be an npc I could drag and drop in places and then edit from that perspective it would eliminate that issue and make building and designing underground way easier. Currently hollowing out my mountainside just to edit the inside, then will have to seal it back up.

Good thing the terrain editing is godlike.

Also I'm pumped for gokarts if they are actually racing and not canned animation. And, obviously editable tracks like coasters.

I really wish there was a camera mode where it was a person. Like, camera wigs out so often when I'm doing terrain stuff. If I could be an npc I could drag and drop in places and then edit from that perspective it would eliminate that issue and make building and designing underground way easier. Currently hollowing out my mountainside just to edit the inside, then will have to seal it back up.

Good thing the terrain editing is godlike.

Also I'm pumped for gokarts if they are actually racing and not canned animation. And, obviously editable tracks like coasters.

Pressing 'T' pretty much gives you standard first person controls.

Staab

Loved the pirate Campaign, teaches you things really well and I love the options for it !

Started up the Fairytale campaign next and really didn't enjoy the first one with the big tree, the options seemed so limited or maybe it's just not a style I like.
Anyways, boosting the scenery rating made me just want to randomly plonk down things to the extent the park seemed overly decorated for no reason.
Maybe it's just because I haven't worked on the finer details yet and just try to have a good harmony with pre-existing pieces.
Building the coaster with air time for the silver medal was fun though, learned a lot !

Onto the Manor, I'm liking the feel of that one better.

sazzy

There's a lot of coaster blueprints on the Steam Workshop, but how do I find those that are actually working designs?

Kabouter

oh wow that's a pretty amazing excitement rating. My best so far was 5ish. What exactly does influence that rating? It has mostly to do with slower parts in the ride? Are scenery items in pull-along areas influencing it?
Is it amazing? The game constantly gives me challenges to get one with an excitement rating of 9 or up, which I have no idea how to accomplish. Anyway, what seems to work for me is to keep a pretty steady pace throughout the coaster, as few slower moments as possible, but also not going too fast.

muetimueti

Neo Member
Living vigorously through all of you posting your creations right now, great stuff! I'd love to pick up the game myself, but I just don't have the time I know I'd like to put into it right now. Maybe around Christmas...

Comandr

What exactly does influence that rating? It has mostly to do with slower parts in the ride? Are scenery items in pull-along areas influencing it?

Scenery can influence excitement marginally. It's been hit or miss for me. Airtime is the key to easy Excitement. Want to crank up the excitement on a ride? Tilt the track outwards on a turn; the speed and force will cause the riders to come out of their seat, causing airtime. Good thing there's those restraints huh?

If you aren't tooooooooo worried about a higher Fear rating, the albatross (Pioneer) coaster is REALLY easy to get a high excitement rating with. I was able to get the final gold star in the last level with that coaster. 8/5/1

Tilting out is especially useful on the railway coaster. RCT logic says tilt in, and that certainly helps with the fear level, but it kills excitement. Tilting out doesn't hurt fear much but blows up excitement.

So, if I'm thirsting for something management-y, will this satisfy that itch? From what I'm hearing, that isn't entirely the focus of this game, resulting in that aspect being a tad bit anemic.

A-V-B

Build a small fairground with a teacups ride, a carousel and a thrill ride and suddenly you've got 800 guests. Do they come and say "this park is rubbish, there's only 3 rides"? No, they have a whale of a time and spend a substantial amount of money.

Mine definitely complain. My park has only three rides -- those exact same ones mentioned here, except a tiny coaster instead of a thrill ride, which almost bankrupted me to build -- and while guests enjoy the rides, they're often talking about there not being enough rides, not being enough to do, and after they've been on all three rides and had some drinks and gone to the bathroom, some of them do just high tail it out of there. I've got a steady population of about 350.

Most guest satisfaction comes from good queue size and speed, free park admission and bathrooms, good ticket prices and wide paths. I'm not making a lot of money as a result of the negative opinions -- like a thousand a month -- but I can still pay the bills and the little peeps have smiles on their faces, including staff, so I'm doing well as far as I'm concerned. Eventually my park will get huge, but it's gonna take time.

It's probably a bit unrealistic, as over time fewer and fewer people might come for three little rides, but we'll see. I imagine a part of the simulation simplicity comes from playability. If total realism was the goal, most people's parks would probably be screwed right off the bat and they'd immediately lose the game. It'd be like Dark Souls Tycoon.

Top Bottom