• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

The feature is obvious I can't understand why haven't they implemented it yet. Anyway, posted a thread on their forum.

Because the game is in beta and they added the base outfit feature only a week ago.

In fact, the feature you mentioned aren't even in most MMOs, and from my memory, I have never played an MMO where I could get an offline guild invite.

In the pause menu, go to the golden logo in the bottom right corner. That's where you buy weapons.
I checked every icon in that menu except the shopping cart. Thanks. Most of the stuff is expensive though, I was looking at the Skyguard turret to combat the Reaver spam but 10K is going to take me another two weeks to get.

Because the game is in beta and they added the base outfit feature only a week ago.

In fact, the feature you mentioned aren't even in most MMOs, and from my memory, I have never played an MMO where I could get an offline guild invite.

Now that you pointed it out to me, I realize that it's true. I thought about the game as of FPS in the first place, but devs have some different point of view by the looks of it.

Keasar

A friend is having a problem with his Planetside 2, it crashes everytime when he selects a character to play. Any idea what could cause that? If someone else have had a similair problem that is.

managed to hook up with InfectedZero on West 3. Fun time, though there still so much I don't know. And I need a working Mic (360 controller Mic doesn't work it seems)
Man we had such a badass platoon! We were rolling with three squads in two Galaxies with some liberator and fighter support. Then about 40 minutes before the server was going to shut down I suggested we all do tanks. A minute later there was 25 tanks rolling to the Mao installation. It was fucking incredible.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Man we had such a badass platoon! We were rolling with three squads in two Galaxies with some liberator and fighter support. Then about 40 minutes before the server was going to shut down I suggested we all do tanks. A minute later there was 25 tanks rolling to the Mao installation. It was fucking incredible.

Tank Puns were necessary!

Things I learned yesterday: The Q button does stuff! Don't press the G button while standing in a group going over plans, How to leave squads.

Things I still haven't learned: How to converse easier with the chat box. I get that /s is squad, and just typing is Say. Haven't learned the others, and if it's possible to set up to always speak in Squad (or whatever I choose it to be).

Hoping my CPU, case, and SSD arrive today, so I can start building. Hopefully, I won't screw up and could start gaming by tomorrow. Also, the Beta key is attached to our accounts, and not our PC's, right? So, changing PC's won't have a negative effect, beyond perhaps having to make new characters?

Tank Puns were necessary!

Things I learned yesterday: The Q button does stuff! Don't press the G button while standing in a group going over plans, How to leave squads.

Things I still haven't learned: How to converse easier with the chat box. I get that /s is squad, and just typing is Say. Haven't learned the others, and if it's possible to set up to always speak in Squad (or whatever I choose it to be).

Hoping my CPU, case, and SSD arrive today, so I can start building. Hopefully, I won't screw up and could start gaming by tomorrow. Also, the Beta key is attached to our accounts, and not our PC's, right? So, changing PC's won't have a negative effect, beyond perhaps having to make new characters?

Hit alt to bring up your mouse cursor! Then you can tab over to the Squad and Platoon chats. It took me a week to find out about that, and I just learned the hold Q to bring up a context menu which is great. Also Q is to spot people in battle by just tapping it. The beta key is attached to your account as far as I know so you should be fine :). You need a mic man! Its way more awesome to communicate that way ;)

Jburton

Banned
Servers go up in just over 15 minutes but I won't be until later .... damn things to do (dinner, go for a walk with the missus)

Lonestar

Hit alt to bring up your mouse cursor! Then you can tab over to the Squad and Platoon chats. It took me a week to find out about that, and I just learned the hold Q to bring up a context menu which is great. Also Q is to spot people in battle by just tapping it. The beta key is attached to your account as far as I know so you should be fine :). You need a mic man! Its way more awesome to communicate that way ;)

I know. I've been getting by on other games by attaching a 360 controller to the PC, then the mic into it, but PS2 isn't picking it up.

GAF needs to add a PS2 group on it's mumble server. Not necessary now, but if we ever get a large group going.

Amazon's tracking my package is out for delivery!

Pennybags

What we lack in sheer manpower or pop size to recap territory, we make up for with sheer tenacity.

We win even fights.

Drink the Kool-Aid.

MrBig

GAF needs to add a PS2 group on it's mumble server. Not necessary now, but if we ever get a large group going.

I really don't want to see this happen. Having all the people that are actually communicating off on some other voip server and not making the experience better for everyone else that's playing with them isn't a good thing.

All the features like channels and proximity aren't fully working yet, but when they do it'll provide a much better service than any other segregated voip service.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I really don't want to see this happen. Having all the people that are actually communicating off on some other voip server and not making the experience better for everyone else that's playing with them isn't a good thing.

All the features like channels and proximity aren't fully working yet, but when they do it'll provide a much better service than any other segregated voip service.

Is there a way to change the in-game voice codec quality?

Because if not the ingame voice chat is doomed, it's that bad, like nails down a blackboard level of bad. It's like using voice comms from about a decade ago.

As soon as I find a regular group to play with, it'll be Vent or TS use, without question.

mr_nothin

Banned
Indeed.

TR like a mofo son.

Fellow TR!

Because if not the ingame voice chat is doomed, it's that bad, like nails down a blackboard level of bad. It's like using voice comms from about a decade ago.

As soon as I find a regular group to play with, it'll be Vent or TS use, without question.

lol wut? must be a joke post

Pennybags

Only recently (closed beta start), the ingame VOIP started to sound distorted/screechy/etc. During Tech Test, it was crystal clear enough to the point of being confusing to those of us using external comms.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Fellow TR!

lol wut? must be a joke post

Not a joke post, fully serious.

I used Vent/TS quite often still and for me (on EU 01) the voice in PS2 is simply atrocious by comparison, distorted & screechy as noted abobe by Pennybags, static, low-bandwidth and low quality to the point of being almost illegible in a firefight.

Peterthumpa

How's the overall performance of the game? Is it getting better with newer builds?
I'm planning to play it with my GTX 580 as soon as it launches, is this card enough for 1080p with AA to average 60 FPS?

I have yet to have any ingame VOIP problems. It has been working great, and I discovered proximity voice chat yesterday which was awesome.

Pennybags

/t (playername) sends tells to a player.
/r is to respond to a a player's tell.

/platoonsay is for quick platoon chat.
/re is for region-specific faction chat.

MrBig

I used Vent/TS quite often still and for me (on EU 01) the voice in PS2 is simply atrocious by comparison, distorted & screechy as noted abobe by Pennybags, static, low-bandwidth and low quality to the point of being almost illegible in a firefight.

Must be a problem with their EU voip servers then, because it's been absolutely perfect for me on West01.

How's the overall performance of the game? Is it getting better with newer builds?
I'm planning to play it with my GTX 580 as soon as it launches, is this card enough for 1080p with AA to average 60 FPS?

Probably. I play with a 670 at 1440p and can go anywhere from 30-60fps. Average is somewhere in the 50-60 range.

They've got a really old and bad implementation of FXAA atm. It kills performance and looks terrible, and there's no way to force hardware AA.

mr_nothin

Banned

I've played on East and West servers and havent had the static/low quality problems that you talk about.

I think people just need to adjust their settings in the game. The squad I was with was talking fine.

I was surprised how well it was working that I didn't have my headset charged.

Lonestar

while not having a mic sucks, I can still hear all the audio from everyone else, and what I heard last night (and the day before in another large group) I don't see how anyone could complain. The vocal quality makes it sound like some of the people are in the room.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I registered my code. I downloaded the launch pad but every time I try to play Planetside it just takes me to the site and asks me to register for beta

Jburton

Banned
while not having a mic sucks, I can still hear all the audio from everyone else, and what I heard last night (and the day before in another large group) I don't see how anyone could complain. The vocal quality makes it sound like some of the people are in the room.

Agree, the voice chat quality is very good.

I registered my code. I downloaded the launch pad but every time I try to play Planetside it just takes me to the site and asks me to register for beta
I remember there being a problem where the game wouldn't start up until either people restarted the client or their computer. It worked after you did that.

You could also try running it under "Run as Admin" and see if that works.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember there being a problem where the game wouldn't start up until either people restarted the client or their computer. It worked after you did that.

You could also try running it under "Run as Admin" and see if that works.

Run as admin worked. Thank you very much.

dorkimoe

Quick question. I got into the big ship thing and couldnt fly it. Do you have to be the one who spawns it? Or a certain rank or something

mr_nothin

Banned
Quick question. I got into the big ship thing and couldnt fly it. Do you have to be the one who spawns it? Or a certain rank or something

As of right now, only the person who bought the vehicle can get in but there are plans to have permissions that you can set to allow "Only Squad Members" to pilot your vehicles or "Everyone On Your Team". I believe you'll be able to do Outfit, Platoon, and specific people also. They're thinking about everything with this game!

Sanic

Missed this thread.

What's going on with the beta at the moment? I signed up for a key on their website right when that functionality went live, and I'm wondering how much longer I'll have to wait until I can play. Are they starting to open up the beta a bit more now?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I got in, but now I have awful framerate. I've even set everything to low and lowered render quality, and it's still the same. I know my computer can run it. Any ideas?

Jburton

Banned
Well I got in, but now I have awful framerate. I've even set everything to low and lowered render quality, and it's still the same. I know my computer can run it. Any ideas?

What's your spec?

Pointless trying to help without knowing what class of PC you have.

wwm0nkey

I still think its crazy how the interior of this base is the size of a mid ranged Halo map

5enBX.jpg

and that this is the rest of the map is this big....

Jburton

Banned
Played some awesome games on Euro 1 ........... TR own that server.

NC put up some great resistance and we had a nice back and forth in terms of territory gains and losses.

Really getting the feel for this game.

MrBig

What's the best 'tutorial' for this game?

It's quite overwhelming.

OP. I explained a bunch of things, but it's a beta and things change. I'll update it again when they move to open beta and things get more nailed down.

First thing to do though: use teamwork. Join a random squad or follow a group that's driving out somewhere or hop in a galaxy waiting for guys in the warpgate.

Played some awesome games on Euro 1 ........... TR own that server.

NC put up some great resistance and we had a nice back and forth in terms of territory gains and losses.

Really getting the feel for this game.

Haha, in your dreams oppressive scum!

There is something really awesome about this game. I'm a little worried that people will be initially overwhelmed by the freedom that you're given for a shooter. You really have to be objectively focused and stay with other teammates to feel like you're actually getting things done. For my first probably 5 hours of play I just felt lost in some huge world. Yea I knew you could capture stuff but I'd be off on my own just trying to find stuff.

Once you get the groove and learn where to go and when, the battles have a magnificent flow to them and it really feels like you're storming the breach/defending for dear life.

mr_nothin

Banned
It seems like this game will be heading more in the right direction shortly! They're going to remove the adjacency rules & lockout timers, which kind of baffled me at first but then they stated that they're also increasing the time it takes to cap a base. They're also changing how influence works. Instead of influence giving you a set amount of tickets to start off with...it's just going to speed up the rate in which you can capture a point.

Higby said that they're likely to be doing all of these:
1 - Make capture times (ticker/ticket system) take longer for everything. A solo player should not be able to cap an outpost in under a minute.

2 - Modify the influence system so that instead of it providing a flat number of tickets towards a cap, so that it instead increases the rate of capture. This combined with #1 should make the base fights last longer, and require some coordinated effort to take the adjacent hexes instead of solo capping whack-a-mole.

3 - Remove the lock out timer on the satellite points that have a spawn. Capping a base should not lock out attacking empires from the hard spawn they own outside of the base.

4 - Provide some kind of indication on the map that a hex is being capped by an enemy.

Another awesome Higby quote that give insight into where they're heading with PS2:
Matt Higby said:
"Planetside 2 is all about teamplay, and making teamplay effortless and rewarding is one of our biggest goals between now and ship. We've got a few things working here to address this.

1 - VOIP helps a lot, proximal voip makes it easier to find groups (and allows for singalongs!)

2 - Missions. We have a mission system that is still in progress that should be a global coordination tool. You, as a commander can place a request for different things, air support, transport, engineers, attack, defend, etc. These thing show up almost like minimap pings in a RTS / MOBA for players who are opted in to see that type of content. If you're flying around in a reaver and you have "air support" checked as a mission you're interested in, you'll see waypoints popping up for areas where other players have requested air support. This level of global coordination should help a lot get newer players to the types of things they want to do easily

3 - Better onramps to multiplayer gameplay. We need outfit browsing / recruitment in game, squad browsing, etc. Tools that help you find a group of players to go experience the teamplay with.

Between those three things we think we'll have a pretty good handle on putting people into teams and teamplay situations."

Wow, don't worry about it, I wasn't expecting to get one at all.
Have your time, and thanks!

I didnt make it to the office yesterday but I will be there in about 8 hours so I'll have the beta key to you then! :)

Top Bottom