• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Kingbrave

I like the game but am totally lost. However I got into a nice air battle and did okay yesterday...

And why the hell do I have to edit the .ini file to get my resolution?

Are there any good, extensive videos on just the ins and outs of Planetside? I just joined the beta and haven't played yet--I'd like to be prepared when I do.

MrBig

Are there any good, extensive videos on just the ins and outs of Planetside? I just joined the beta and haven't played yet--I'd like to be prepared when I do.

SOE will be posting their video tutorials soon I believe, but here's this. It's outdated as a lot of mechanics have changed since then but it will still teach nearly everything.

If someone has another good, current video please post it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Oh lawwwddd
So the GPU Physics are IN and they are WONDERFUL!

You have to have an Nvidia card and the latest 310.53 or 310.54 drivers but maaaan the sparks from bullets hitting walls look :O
And the teleporter/launchpad particle streams that are actually affected by players jumping into it. It's amazing

MrBig

Oh lawwwddd

You have to have an Nvidia card and the latest 310.53 or 310.54 drivers but maaaan the sparks from bullets hitting walls look :O
And the teleporter/launchpad particle streams that are actually affected by players jumping into it. It's amazing

Yeah, just saw that tweet. Updated drivers and now I'm getting a CTD as soon as I get into the world :/

Just deleted useroptions.ini and let that rebuild, works now. Damn this looks really nice

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah, just saw that tweet. Updated drivers and now I'm getting a CTD as soon as I get into the world :/

Just deleted useroptions.ini and let that rebuild, works now. Damn this looks really nice

Yea, it acts really weird if you try to modify the useroptions.ini file

Oh lawwwddd

That they are but they are murdering my framerate

Arksy

I'm good without gpu physics to be honest.The fact that this game can run at all is amazing enough. The fact that I can get 40-60fps on high on a game that looks this good..

Superb.

Moaradin

The GPU Physics are great. Is it running on Nvidia PhysX? I'm not getting any frame drops and I have a dedicated PhysX card, so I'm wondering.

SOE will be posting their video tutorials soon I believe, but here's this. It's outdated as a lot of mechanics have changed since then but it will still teach nearly everything.

If someone has another good, current video please post it.

Awesome, thanks--can't wait to get started! Is there a particular faction that GAF prefers?

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok, so if you want to check out what PS2 can really look like (before beta ends) if you apply Ultra Settings to everything then download this useroptions.ini file and replace yours wherever you installed Planetside 2. This is ultra textures, ultra effects, a bit of downsampling, and ultra sound quality. Explosions, textures, and lighting look phenomenal on this setting. Prepare to have your eyes raped :p

*GPU Physics cannot be applied with these settings, it will crash upon entering the game world/warpgate

Planetside 2 Ultra Config said:

Screens said:
iuoXAeRYf0kCc.png

Ok, so if you want to check out what PS2 can really look like (before beta ends) if you apply Ultra Settings to everything then download this useroptions.ini file and replace yours wherever you installed Planetside 2. This is ultra textures, ultra effects, a bit of downsampling, and ultra sound quality. Explosions, textures, and lighting look phenomenal on this setting. Prepare to have your eyes raped :p

*GPU Physics cannot be applied with these settings, it will crash upon entering the game world/warpgate

Take some pictures/screens of the game with these settings and post them if you don't mind.

I made a really short (and kinda shitty) video of some basic PhysX effects.

http://youtu.be/d39Q6AgYaMo?hd=1

Liberty4all

Banned
I bought 60 dollars in station cash cards during a 2 for 1 promo back in august giving me 120 in station cash. Back when I last asked about it everyone said station cash would only be good for cosmetic items ... Has that changed at all? I played a lot in early beta but I've eased off waiting for launch.

mr_nothin

Banned
I bought 60 dollars in station cash cards during a 2 for 1 promo back in august giving me 120 in station cash. Back when I last asked about it everyone said station cash would only be good for cosmetic items ... Has that changed at all? I played a lot in early beta but I've eased off waiting for launch.

Cosmetics and direct buy of weapons.

Moaradin

I decided that I'm gonna roll NC at launch. I really love the TR but the NC guns fit my play style much better. Sorry TR GAF guys =(

Oh lawwwddd

what? is there any screens videos that shows the effect?

im looking at my control panel. i got two 470s in SLI. should I dedicate one of the cards permanently for physics?

Is there a difference between factions beyond cosmetic?

yes, weapons, vehicles, technology.

TR = classic human sci-fi. low damage, big numbers.

Vanu = crazy bright lights. alternative. high techs. few in numbers.

the other guys nobody cares about = the rebel kids. basically the the vanilla ice of planetside.

Wes

venison crêpe

Traditionally:

Terran Republic - Have capabilities to get off more rounds per second. Lower damage as a result.

New Conglomerate - Hit harder than the TR but at a slower than normal rate.

Vanu Sovereignty - Average rate of fire and damage but makes up for it with unique abilities (Tanks hover and can strafe, lower bullet drop experienced (this may have been changed))

Arksy

Terran Republic
Guns: High rate of fire, lower damage - can put an amazing amount of shots downstream.
Tanks&Vehicles: High rate of fire with the lightest armour out of the three but the fastest speeds

New Conglomerate
Guns: Low rate of fire, higher damage
Tanks&Vehicles: Slowest and most heavily armoured and have the guns that pack the best punch

Vanu Soverignty
Guns: Mid range power and firing rate but are very accurate and don't have any bullet drop. The guns wane in effectiveness over a distance.
Tanks&Vehicles: The most manouverable tanks in the game. Can strafe with tanks. Has some pretty nice weapon options that no one else has as well.

Arksy

From Faq said:
Q. Which weapons will this package unlock for each Empire?
A. 12 weapon unlocks! One additional weapon for each combat class (per Empire!).

Assault Rifle - Fast rate or fire allows it to output a large of amount of damage in a short period of time, making it very effective at short to medium ranges.
NC GR-22
TR Cycler TRV
VS H-V45

Carbine - Balanced weight and controllable recoil allows the operator to maintain accuracy over automatic fire.
NC AC-X11
TR T5
VS Pulsar C

LMG - Features three fire modes, allowing it to easily adapt to most situations on the battlefield.
NC EM6 LMG
TR TMG-50 B
VS SVA-88

Sniper - Highly accurate and damaging at long range.
NC LA80
TR SR-7
VS V10

Carbines are used by Engineers, Light Assault
Assault Rifles are used by Medics
LMGs are used by Heavy Assault
Sniper Rifles are used by Infiltrators

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Gonna try coming back at launch.

Hadn't logged on in weeks, though I've kept up with the various updates. Didn't want to get burned out on the game before it's "release" ;P

Also, yeah, now I wish I had rolled nVidia instead of AMD when I built my PC. Those extra effects are pretty neat.

MrBig

Goodbye, beta, you've come a long way

planetside2-2012-11-0djkit.jpg

planetside2-2012-11-1h4jcf.jpg

planetside2-2012-11-1n0kok.jpg

I'll post the OT soon. Anyone got any interesting subtitles or keep it classy until we get to an OT2+?

ACE 1991

So is there something I'm missing, or is the Vanu outfit not really all that active? There only ever a couple of people online whenever I play. I really want to get into this game but it's not all that interesting playing solo.

Top Bottom