• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Arucardo

Yeesh, dropping down to 30fps in bigger battles. Not sure what's bottle necking the game, might have to check cpu usage. (I know, it's a beta and there's plenty of optimizing to be done)

Everything maxed with motion blur and ambient occlusion off (looks like crap atm, indoor areas have massive halos near walls and corners) on a i5 2500k @4ghz and a 670 TOP (not even getting full boost clocks so it's not the gpu) installed on a 120gb Samsung 830 series.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd heard it was CPU intensive.

I liked the Ambient occlusion (that's the light rays through the trees/around objects, right?). Having one of those large bases cast shadows from moonlight looks pretty fantastic. But might try it with that option off to see what it looks like too.

Haven't tried a EU server, I was going to stick with the US ones. You name a US server, I'm there.

name: EsotericDaemon
Join the Gaf Warpigs on West 03 with me and Lone. We fuck shit up ;) been rolling with him and randoms that I have bumped into multiple times. It kinda awesome just getting on and running into a guy you faught epic battles with then begin to have a nice convo over proxy chat. Also Lone, get that Mic!

Lonestar

Join the Gaf Warpigs on West 03 with me and Lone. We fuck shit up ;) been rolling with him and randoms that I have bumped into multiple times. It kinda awesome just getting on and running into a guy you faught epic battles with then begin to have a nice convo over proxy chat. Also Lone, get that Mic!

running to Best Buy during lunch, they should have something.

Cool, I'll start a new character; what faction? Unfortunately I ordered my mic off amazon so it may be like a week till I get it. Also, is Gaf Warpigs an outfit? I haven't joined one yet, don't know how.

Jburton

Banned
Does anybody know whats causing the "invalid string" username? My buddy said its always there for mine.

Lol, for a short while I thought their was a player named invalid string ...... who was everywhere I was, every time I played.

Then I realised it was a fault.

smh.

Lonestar

Cool, I'll start a new character; what faction? Unfortunately I ordered my mic off amazon so it may be like a week till I get it. Also, is Gaf Warpigs an outfit? I haven't joined one yet, don't know how.

Yeah, it's an outfit, and it's on NC.

wireless-headset-h760.png

Picked up one of these. Wireless sounds better, I got enough fricken wires around.

Yeah its my GAF outfit I started. It's on New conglomerate. I'll invite you tonight if your on

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I unlocked the Skyguard for my Lightning, after playing around with the AP cannon for a few days. I'd seen videos, but man, nothing prepares you for the recoil and screen shake in first person. It's manageable in 3rd person, but aiming above you is pretty much just a guessing game. Still, the gun is fun and puts out a grip of damage on fighters, can't wait until they fix the first person issues.

Pennybags

Funny that the announcement was hats.

I unlocked the Skyguard for my Lightning, after playing around with the AP cannon for a few days. I'd seen videos, but man, nothing prepares you for the recoil and screen shake in first person. It's manageable in 3rd person, but aiming above you is pretty much just a guessing game. Still, the gun is fun and puts out a grip of damage on fighters, can't wait until they fix the first person issues.

In 3rd person, rotate until your turret no longer blocks visibility of your tracers.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
In 3rd person, rotate until your turret no longer blocks visibility of your tracers.

Thanks, this worked perfectly. Not sure how I didn't think of that myself.

As a side note, I hope they bring buggies back, so I can have my proper, super-mobile Skyguard or, my favourite, the Enforcer. Also, fuck Galaxies as a mobile spawn, I don't think I've had a single good(PS1-like) choke point battle in the entire time I've played.

Pennybags

Yeah. It'll at least be a lot better once 1st person works properly.

A 2+ manned Skyguard buggy would help survivability so much but the devs seem to have a thing against unarmed driver positions in non-transport vehicles.

Haha, I ran straight into a tank after bouncing off a rock on my 4 wheeler, and then of course the game freezes for me. I'll be back on later. (I'm eso btw)

Lonestar

Good long day, with a nice mixture of bombing runs, tank wars, ground assault, and a dash of defense.

Moaradin

Got a new CPU. Can't wait to try this game again with improved performance. I really need to get into the TR West 01 outfit as well. Need some coordinated efforts in my life.

Had some really good fights last night on EU01. TR had massive numbers taking several outposts in succession from NC, namely Seabed Listening Post and Impact Crater. We had maybe 50-75 infantry running from the former to the latter. It was great, like a marathon haha. Afterwards we were transported to Allatum where the VS had build up a massive defense for the biodome. Both side landing pad entrances had TR Gals parked on them, the VS were eventually overwhelmed and the TR capped all the points and the facility as a whole. All in all the assault probably took a good part of an hour.

If a beta can be this good, I can't wait for the finished product.

Jburton

Banned
Had some really good fights last night on EU01. TR had massive numbers taking several outposts in succession from NC, namely Seabed Listening Post and Impact Crater. We had maybe 50-75 infantry running from the former to the latter. It was great, like a marathon haha. Afterwards we were transported to Allatum where the VS had build up a massive defense for the biodome. Both side landing pad entrances had TR Gals parked on them, the VS were eventually overwhelmed and the TR capped all the points and the facility as a whole. All in all the assault probably took a good part of an hour.

If a beta can be this good, I can't wait for the finished product.

If you are on later join up with the GAF TR outfit on EU1

Arucardo

If you are on later join up with the GAF TR outfit on EU1

I was wondering if there's a TR GAF outfit on EU1 (should've checked the OP :S) I'll join when the servers go back up today. Is joining done by trying to create an outfit that already exists or is it invite only?

Station name: Aruc4rdo
ingame: Arucardo

feel free to add me to friends if you're on EU1.

I'll stay in radio silence though since I have a massive cold, lol.

Arucardo

New 1,2gb patch went up along with the servers today, didn't find a changelog for it though.

EDIT: There's an ad for the alpha squad (founders) program when you launch the game now, the website for it isn't online yet.

From the top of my head:

for 40usd you get

-40usd worth of station cash
-6 months of 10% boost for exp (and certifications I think)
-an alpha squad badge
-a founder title
-new camo for weapon and character for all sides

found a screenshot:

mr_nothin

Banned
New 1,2gb patch went up along with the servers today, didn't find a changelog for it though.

Well for now, we know there are G2A missle buffs, Flakk canon buffs, added limitations to MAX suits (cant spawn directly into them..you have to go to terminal, they cost resources & have cooldowns, but they have AV and AA buffs). Also supposed to have performance improvements, both client and server side.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok, so a few things about the update:

- They finally smoothed out the sights when ADS
- No more lockouts times
- Minimap Improvements:
Cap points (of the hex you're in) now show up on the edge of the minimap if they are out of view.
Terminals/Generators now show up on minimap too

- New Certs in! (diff types of armor. you have to pick between speedy shield regens or taking on more damage)
- Vehicle management (press "N" while in a vehicle to manage who you allow to use your vehicle) *why wasnt this in BF3?!*
- We now have tons more spawns to choose from. You can spawn on faction-owned bases within a certain range now (I think this is a bad move but I think SOE is just testing it out)
- Implants now require you to be a certain rank in order to buy them. The more powerful the implant, the higher the rank
- Point notifications are now a lot bigger (+100) *I dont like this, they had it right before. It was big enough to notice but wasnt all in your face, now it is*
- New music put in, at least for TR. I heard some new music while hot dropping & there seems to be more "ambient music" that plays randomly
- They added a subtle camera shake when using jetpak
- Duststorm added in the NC territory in the north
Vehicle Management said:

I'll update as I found out more

Ok, so a few things about the update:

- They finally smoothed out the sights when ADS
- No more lockouts times
- Cap points (of the hex you're in) now show up on the edge of the minimap if they are out of view.
- New Certs in! (diff type of armor. you have to pick between speedy shield regens or taking on more damage)
- Vehicle management (press "N" while in a vehicle to manage who you allow to use your vehicle) *why wasnt this in BF3?!*

I'll update as I found out more
Yes! Awesome update. Also I will be dropping the $40 for the founders pack. Cannot wait. So glad were getting vehicle management. Post more if you find some New stuff since I'm at work :)

MrBig

Yes! Awesome update. Also I will be dropping the $40 for the founders pack. Cannot wait. So glad were getting vehicle management. Post more if you find some New stuff since I'm at work :)

I will as well, since I doubt they'll get any of my money from any sort of character customization.

Did they say how many weapons they think will be available in the final build? Also, do we know what variables will be involved besides weapon damage and fire rate if there are any?

MrBig

http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad

Purchased

Q. I've purchased the Alpha Squad Package. When do I get my items?
A. Your Beta access starts immediately, and you will receive 4000 Station Cash immediately! You will receive your in-game items upon the launch of PlanetSide 2, on or before December 31, 2012.

Did they say how many weapons they think will be available in the final build? Also, do we know what variables will be involved besides weapon damage and fire rate if there are any?

You can see what they currently have implemented in the store already, and they just recently added a few more. It's somewhere close to a hundred already before launch.

Macmanus

How do former Planetside vets feel about this game? I loved the first one. Played it from beta up until Core Combat. The MMO FPS genre is criminally vacant and a solid reboot of this title would be nothing short of fantastic.

Top Bottom