• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

mr_nothin

Banned
Amerish.... so many beautiful vistas to see, so many freakin' aircraft to shoot down. My buddy and I were just patrolling as a double-burster MAX/engie combo in the mountains on the east side of the map. It was like playing Duck Hunt in HD. The visuals difference in this game between medium and high settings is something every PS2 player should see at least once.

Also, I believe the continents are on different builds with Amerish being on the latest one. I was on Indar and alt-tabbed out and saw it on build .317 and when I talk-tabbed on Amerish it was on build .4-something.

They really need to add all the graphic polish to the other 2 continents.

MrBig

3x Station Cash sale going on today if anyone's interested.

I got my 4k SC from alpha squad and 2k from $10 I spent on a double cash day. Not going to spend any more than that until I actually need it or know how much I will eventually want to spend in the game. As far as I'm concerned $50 was just me buying the game off the shelf to support SOE :)

Also, can anyone playing on High or Ultra settings, at at least 1920x1080, send me screenshots to use for the launch OP? Don't want them all to be VS like they are now. And recommend me any good Outfit gameplay videos

mr_nothin

Banned

I got my 4k SC from alpha squad and 2k from $10 I spent on a double cash day. Not going to spend any more than that until I actually need it or know how much I will eventually want to spend in the game. As far as I'm concerned $50 was just me buying the game off the shelf to support SOE :)

Also, can anyone playing on High or Ultra settings, at at least 1920x1080, send me screenshots to use for the launch OP? Don't want them all to be VS like they are now. And recommend me any good Outfit gameplay videos

D: I didnt even know you sent me a PM lol

mr_nothin

Banned
That's alright, just let me know if you want to help. I can just post the tutorial videos SOE is apparently working on if I need to

I'll have to see if I'll have time. Schedule is a little crazy lately and I need to finish editing a lot of videos for a couple of clients. I'll try my best but right now I cant really be counted on :/ I'll keep you updated.
In other news, just bought $25 in station cash and got $75 (7500SC) worth :D Feels good to support the Devs at SOE for this glorious game! I'm only buying cosmetic items. Eff boosters!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Beta key if anyone wants it.

Any idea how much items are actually going to cost? Might grab 3k for £8, but not sure just how much that would actually buy.

rObit

Banned
Dear sweet Marty McFly these optimizations are glorious. When I first got into the beta I could hardly run it with everything on low. Now I can run everything on max and still get good framerate. Decided to hit the station sale for 3k just to support the devs a bit, I don't even know what station cash will buy me in PS2 lol.

Jhriad

I play on High if you still need someone to get some screens. I can try Ultra.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just quote that post to see it, not sure if it's been taken though.

Went ahead and got 3000 SC for £8, didn't want to spend more incase the store is a ripoff.

Ok I was playing earlier this evening and got swept up in a massive Vanu tank battalion as we rolled through enemy holdings to make them ours. I had never experienced something like that before and add to it that the sun was rising on the Amerish continent and was just peeking over the hills as we rolled through was something magical.

I've got a beta key available if anyone wanted to check the game out. First to quote gets the prize!

Glad to see people are having a lot of fun. Wish I could join you guys if my PC wasn't so terrible.

rObit

Banned
Anyone know where the game stores the videos that you capture? I've poked through all of the game folders and checked to see if PS2 had made a folder in my documents, but can't find anything.

Anyone know where the game stores the videos that you capture? I've poked through all of the game folders and checked to see if PS2 had made a folder in my documents, but can't find anything.

I found mine in C:\Users\Joshua\Videos\Planetside2, of course your name may or may not actually be Joshua.

Arksy

Thanks for the heads up, now have 15k station cash to blow on as many weapons as I can on release. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Is there any way to force better AA in this game?

Have you tried the in-game downsampling method?
Change RenderQuality to something higher than 1.0 I'd try 1.2-1.3 to see how that looks/performs and then go down from there. If you want nice screenshots go to 2.0/3.0 but dont expect decent performance.

Moaradin

Have you tried the in-game downsampling method?
Change RenderQuality to something higher than 1.0 I'd try 1.2-1.3 to see how that looks/performs and then go down from there. If you want nice screenshots go to 2.0/3.0 but dont expect decent performance.

Thanks! Game looks so much better without the jaggies. I hope they support some better AA methods soon.

MrBig

Thanks! Game looks so much better without the jaggies. I hope they support some better AA methods soon.

It's a DX9 game using a deferred rendering system so only post AA will be supported. They just need to give us an option to disable the FXAA so that we can use MSAA or a custom FXAA method without removing dirblur.fxo every time.

How many Servers does AUS have? :O

They said they're only getting one unless population warrants more.

Moaradin

I created a .bat file to automatically remove the fxaa every time I start the game. Working out quite nicely.

Has anyone tried SweetFX with the game? Giving me pretty good results.

jOARnKQl4Ry8G.png

jYz5ILGxfA3qp.png

jbgpRXuT3fiLAt.png

jj92wHMyQw6Wq.png

Moaradin

I just make a quick .bat file. Here is the code:
.Bat said:
start LaunchPad.exe
PAUSE
copy /Y C:\Stuff\Games\materials_3.xml "C:\Stuff\Games\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2 Beta\GraphicsData"

Obviously change the directory to whatever you want. The bolded is where the edited materials_3.xml is placed. If you don't know how to remove FXAA, just open up PlanetSide 2 Beta\GraphicsData, go in the materials_3.xml file and delete dirblur.fxo. Then copy the modified file to wherever the bolded line is.

Place the bat file in the directory and that's it. Run the bat, and once the launcher starts up press any key. I'm sure someone could made a better batch file for this, but it does the job.

For the SweetFX, check this out:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

MrBig

Name Reservation site still not up...

down with soe

The page just changed to "under maintenance." Should be up shortly.

I just make a quick .bat file. Here is the code:

Obviously change the directory to whatever you want. The bolded is where the edited materials_3.xml is placed. If you don't know how to remove FXAA, just open up PlanetSide 2 Beta\GraphicsData, go in the materials_3.xml file and delete dirblur.fxo. Then copy the modified file to wherever the bolded line is.

Place the bat file in the directory and that's it. Run the bat, and once the launcher starts up press any key. I'm sure someone could made a better batch file for this, but it does the job.

For the SweetFX, check this out:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

Thanks. It might be better to have the script directly delete dirblur.fxo in \PlanetSide 2 Beta\GraphicsData\Shaders, in case something in that xml file needs to be updated for the game.

Moaradin

down with soe

The page just changed to "under maintenance." Should be up shortly.

Thanks. It might be better to have the script directly delete dirblur.fxo in \PlanetSide 2 Beta\GraphicsData\Shaders, in case something in that xml file needs to be updated for the game.

Probably, but I'm too lazy with this stuff =P

MrBig

If you registered your name already you will need to do it again now, they cleared everything from this morning. They forgot to clear out all the names of those who signed up before they changed the day for reservations because of the power outages from Sandy.

Nekrono

Is it true that extra beta keys are going out for people that are currently in the beta? If so can I get one please? I'd like to try the game and see how it runs.

MrBig

Is it true that extra beta keys are going out for people that are currently in the beta? If so can I get one please? I'd like to try the game and see how it runs.

A lot of people received one a few days ago, but not today afaik.

If you sign up over at Planetside Universe you can grab a key from their key exchange. You must wait 2 hours after registering. Higby gave them a few thousand keys so there's plenty available there.

Nekrono

A lot of people received one a few days ago, but not today afaik.

If you sign up over at Planetside Universe you can grab a key from their key exchange. You must wait 2 hours after registering. Higby gave them a few thousand keys so there's plenty available there.

Thanks man I'll sign up right now and hopefully get one.

Jintor

Sweet!

My little brother says the aussie server is too deserted right now, so I guess I'm going to Thebes until beta ends.

Top Bottom