• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Desaan

Ended up with 3k cert points last night, 1k from the weekend non saving drama and then I spent them and the servers went down and when they came back up I had just over 3k!

I made a Vanu shotgun infiltrator and maxed out various paths, also made a kick ass magrider with upgraded radar, armour, primary and secondary guns etc. twas' good fun.

I hope the game does well even if they are releasing it way before it's ready but I'll drop back in at a later date when I get bored of BLOPS 2 and when they fix some of the ludicrous bugs (multiple times I spawned a Magrider only to have it instantly explode). Any idea if there is going to be a Euro GAF outfit?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
A7HutIbCcAEzFmV.jpg

So weapons are 250, 500, and 700 SC each, and cosmetics from 50-1200.

The anti-air launcher is fun to use, but I'm having trouble locking in a 100% hit rate. I'm not whining or calling for the nerf parade; I'm still looking for an optimal engagement zone. I've struck two scythes and both times they were too far away for me to see the damage, but they didn't come back. I'm thinking about the differences between certed up shields or nanoweave armor... 25% DR when shields are gone sounds pretty good.

I completely forgot this went into beta and I just tried to log into my account from Planetside 1 and I couldn't remember my password and incorrectly guessed my security question. I would have tried again but for some reason you only get 1 guess every 24 hours. That's a real pain in the ass.

Arksy

Awesome. Looks like I'll be able to buy a tonne of weapons on launch. Just need to decide which faction I'm going. Thinking about TxR. :D - But here are my gripes

Tanks:
Vanquish is easily the best tank all round.
Magrider has cool secondary guns and manouverability options but eh...
Prowler can deploy and lay down a tonne of fire, great for crown defence and other locations where you're close to a reammo spot.

Maxes:
TxR - Love the heavy cycler.
NC - Scattergun is hopeless in comparison
VS - Just as good the TxR max. I actually like the anti weapon gun a bit better here.

Sniper
Bolt actions - I think they changed the VS bolt action, it didn't have much bullet drop and it does now.

Heavy Weapons
TxR - Love the mini chain gun
VS - Hate this. Has no range and needs a fair few shots to kill but has no range like the chain gun.
NC - Not bad for short range combat but again no range.

MrBig

Looks like there were some major changes last night.

Some outposts on Indar were redesigned, in the linear style of Amerish's major outposts.

Tug of War capture system.

Ownership benefits added

Ownership of certain facilities will provide bonuses to empires on each continent:
Biolab - Ownership of a biolab will provide health regeneration.
Tech Plant - A Tech Plant is now required to spawn the Main Battle Tank (Vanguard, Prowler, Magrider).
Amp Station - An Amp station reduces the time to overheat Phalanx turrets.

Capturing all contested territories in a continent will provide a temporary bonus to the controlling empire:
Indar - Reduction of cost for items purchased with Infantry resources.
Esamir - Reduction of cost for vehicles purchased with mechanized resources.
Amerish - Reduction of cost for aircraft purchased with aerospace resources.

Jintor

Blargh. Hopefully the numbers of dudes on when the servers go live will make xp gain go faster. What was it before, 1 cert every 250?

So I was able to acquire a beta key but I learned pretty quickly that this is a game you cannot lone-wolf.
It doesn't help that I literally have no idea what I'm doing.
I spent 15 minutes flying around admiring the vistas the engine could provide but I saw no combat aside from people shooting each other at spawn.

Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes?

georgc

Ugh! I can't play this game anymore. All the people teleport around and it's impossible for me to hit anything. Its been this way for like 2 weeks now. Am I the only one?

All my friends who'd enjoy the game already have the beta lol..

HGMAJPZ7H34HMC33E62E
PFDNA6EME34AGZNR36GF
7XX3ZGTR4HKPXCEDGE7G
F3PX63D7G4H4CHAXERJ9
XPFDX7XNA9D7MAPZ6EXP**TAKEN**
Grab em while they're hot. If you use em confirm please.

KingKong

Umm ok this might be dumb, but how do I go to a different area? The last few times I logged on, I was in that snowy area, do I have to make a new char?

All my friends who'd enjoy the game already have the beta lol..

HGMAJPZ7H34HMC33E62E
PFDNA6EME34AGZNR36GF
7XX3ZGTR4HKPXCEDGE7G
F3PX63D7G4H4CHAXERJ9
XPFDX7XNA9D7MAPZ6EXP
Grab em while they're hot. If you use em confirm please.

Took the bottom one and updated the list. Thanks~

DarkFlow

Banned
Meh since everyone else is just posting them, I'll add my codes.

PAP2M4GF4DACXEPEA9G2
3CHFKECRHGZANKXM6ENZ
7FKKEMR3M4JX3RZHXXDA
NGFCEK97ZNHH64D76XHZ

Moaradin

Not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but I feel that the game actually is pretty much ready for release now. I remember a month ago when everyone was worried that the game wasn't ready (which it wasn't back then), but I think the game made a lot of progress in a month. Iron out a few small bugs within the next week and it's good to go.

Just got accepted into the Beta tried to login to planetside2's website... says wrong password.

I reset my password correctly, still says wrong password? Any way to get through this? I want to play.

Not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but I feel that the game actually is pretty much ready for release now. I remember a month ago when everyone was worried that the game wasn't ready (which it wasn't back then), but I think the game made a lot of progress in a month. Iron out a few small bugs within the next week and it's good to go.

The infiltrator class is still a schizophrenic incomplete mess. Performance is still a big issue, still some pretty major bugs (abilities just randomly stop working, thats a fun one).

I still think it could use another 3 months at least.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just got accepted into the Beta tried to login to planetside2's website... says wrong password.

I reset my password correctly, still says wrong password? Any way to get through this? I want to play.

I can give you another beta key so you can create a new account and get in.

DTKT

Is it really coming out in 6 days? Do you guys think it's ready for prime time or is SOE just hurting for cash?

A bad release would be a disaster for the game and the community.

MrBig

Is it really coming out in 6 days? Do you guys think it's ready for prime time or is SOE just hurting for cash?

We really have no indication of the state of their internal build. What we're playing on is a minimum of 3 weeks old at its base, on a separate branch from their internal stuff, if they're still on the same cadence they've been on throughout the beta.
There's not anything major left to fix. Performance is at a good level and there will of course be ongoing optimizations. Major bugs are gone.
The thing that worries me is that they're still messing base mechanics like gunplay a week away from launch, and the capture system. All the customization options haven't been tested yet either.
At this point though, while I would personally like to see the game in beta for another month or two to have an absolutely smooth launch, there's not really any problems I'm aware of more outstanding than most other major game launches, smaller scale glitches that people expect and will be smoothed over are all that are left.

They have confirmed there will continue to be a test branch after the game launches to publicly test things before changes get pushed to all the servers.

I'm planning on posting the OT on the 16th btw, when the beta ends.

MrBig

Awesome. Was wondering if there was gonna be an OT in the gaming forum.
Yep, gaming side. I posted this one in community since it was a closed beta and I knew the community would be very small. I do hope to see a nice amount of guys from GAF playing on launch, to get some good outfits together for all factions.
Is this game going to be lamerly pay 2 win >.<?

I don't see how it can be considered such. After actually trying the infantry weapons that you can buy, it's exactly as they said, they're all sidegrade weapons that really just change the rof, spread, burst capability, and other such mechanics, kill times aren't any different. We tested the base guns for months: those are the weapons most people will be playing with, they are balanced, all-around weapons that will work in nearly any situation. You can play exactly as well as anyone else with those guns, but if you want something else that better supports your playstyle, pay to shortcut to it or play the game normally until it lands in your lap for free.

I genuinely believe that releasing game this early isn't the brightest idea of all to say the least. Bugs won't fix themselves in course of the next 6 days, optimization ain't gonna solve its problems, and balance won't come out of nowhere. 6 days before the launch and SOE guys still not sure with how to balance the game properly. We've got continent locks how long ago? 4 days, 5? It's just laughable.

I love how development team is looking for suggestions from the community, and I do wish they have heard this one as well. But, I believe it's SOE who pushing them to release game earlier. Sigh.

Anyway, any volunteers to make an OT?

Top Bottom