• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 |OT| It's About Time

Evilisk

So, no memorable, catchy tunes this time? Or the different composer did good? The OST was the 50% of the original game's fun factor for me.

Nope. The music really sucks compared to PvZ1.

Also the music works a bit differently than the first game; you have some boring generic looped music normally and then you get a change of music once a big wave comes along. There's also a few remixes of tracks from the first game but even with that the music in this game is so forgettable.

I mean I haven't played this game in weeks (already did everything in AUS version) and can't remember any of the tracks from the game.

It's been a while since I've played, but are you talking about the parrots that carry the enemies? A lob of butter makes them go away. Otherwise, I usually feel that a few snap dragon plants in the second outer lane is enough to protect the outside lane.

The main tactic is definitely butter (butter also 1 shots the seagull zombie). Also an observation, the way parrots work is that they will nab the plant that is furthest away from your lawn mowers regardless of lane (so maybe you can keep this in mind) and IIRC parrots ignore some of the shorter plants like potato mines and spring bean (not 100% sure on this as I haven't played in a while).

Fox Mulder

I loved the first, own it on tons of platforms. I was skeptical of the f2p crap, but haven't been prompted to buy anything yet or forced to wait an hour to keep playing.

I am shocked EA.

It's great so far. I just beat the pirate world and will have to go back and earn about 20 stars to unlock the final area, but that's no big deal. The additional star levels are cool, and the random keys lead to interesting powerups. I just hope that ALL of the plants are eventually unlocked. If I can unlock everything in the last world, I don't see myself ever spending money on this game unless I am feeling charitable. Hell, I have about 30k in coins at the moment because I never use the powerups... bottom line is that fromw hat I've played, it doesn't seem like you ever need to spend any money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The biggest difference from PvZ1 to PvZ2 is that on the iPhone the touch recognition is much shoddier. I don't know if it's the smaller buttons, the smaller seeds or a combination thereof, but it's something immediately noticeable to me and I've definitely had to restart sometimes because I didn't grab the Sunflower I wanted to grab. I also have to tap multiple times on some buttons. It sounds small, but it's really irritating. I don't even have big hands.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
(I posted this earlier on reddit, but this is why I think PvZ2 is bad.)

iAPs totally ruin this game. No, it's not because I hate spending money on things that I think should be included. In fact, I immediately bought two iAPs when I started the game, just because I wanted to toss $10 in for a game I loved so much.
I have no problem with pay walls. I have no problem with buying new plants (essentially DLC). I don't even care that to eliminate a monotonous grind, I'll have to continuously spend more cash.
What bothers me is that the core gameplay of PvZ2 has been affected by the iAP structure. I won't go as far as to say that it completely revolves around it, but it's not the same style game as the first. Instead, you can literally ALWAYS win as long as you're willing to spend money.
With those three powerup actions (where you can pinch, zap, or swipe away enemies), you are never in danger of failing a course as long as you have coins. You don't even have to put down any damn plants!
My personal solution has been to use those powerups as infrequently as possible, but I made the mistake early on buying a bunch of coins (not to mention, you get quite a bit from just playing), so I have a surplus. It takes all of the fun out of the game knowing that if I ever get in trouble, I can just zap away the zombies and be absolutely fine.
Furthermore, there are, without a doubt, a handful of levels that specifically encourage (borderline require) you to use said powerups. It'd be one thing if the game was designed to be beaten without ever using any, but its just not. (I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are certain instances where it definitely seems like that was the design choice for the level.)
And why wouldn't you use them, anyway? You have the coins, so why not? But since you have to essentially self-regulate the usage of powerups, it ends up feeling like you're creating your own challenge, which, in the end, isn't as gratifying as beating someone else's.

baphomet

Girlfriend was looking forward to this game so much. IAP's ruined the game completely for her. She won't even touch it now.

shink

The biggest difference from PvZ1 to PvZ2 is that on the iPhone the touch recognition is much shoddier. I don't know if it's the smaller buttons, the smaller seeds or a combination thereof, but it's something immediately noticeable to me and I've definitely had to restart sometimes because I didn't grab the Sunflower I wanted to grab. I also have to tap multiple times on some buttons. It sounds small, but it's really irritating. I don't even have big hands.

I have the same issue it's just annoying (iPod touch). I also feel PvZ2 looks worse than 1, colours don't "pop"

What's weird is I'm not experiencing any crashes or any prompts to buy IAP.

It's not crashed on me but I think the whole time I've played it (that's all star in Egypt, half stars way through Pirates and completion of the games 3rd world) I've had about 4/5 "adverts" telling me I could buy something.

Not once throughout have I had the need or struggled to have to purchase anything. In fact I don't even really know what's on offer.

I've also rarely used those power ups. In fact I've forgotten about them. I do however use the plant food and sometimes on trickier levels "but" some with the free coins I've accumulated. In which throughout the game you get plenty so I haven't even run low on those. I think currently I have about 30k built up. Plant food doesn't break the game and I like the inclusion of it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Same here, I'm only on an iPhone 4 but it feels like a game made for a much bigger screen, and not just a longer one that the iPhone 5 has. But yea, I keep hitting things accidentally or it isn't doing what I want unless I do things really precisely, which in the middle of a hectic level doesn't really help.

I have the same issue it's just annoying (iPod touch). I also feel PvZ2 looks worse than 1, colours don't "pop"

I agree with this too, the art and style of the first game was really great. A lot of the plants look like they took the detail out and replaced them with a quick gradient, possible so it scales better or the engine has changed? But either way it isn't as nice looking as the first one.

nickcv

I got at the end of the pirate world, and unfortunately the games really forces you into using IAP, not for the powerups (which always feel like cheating) but for the keys themselves, which turn this game into a real grind fest.

The "stars" challenges were fun at the beginning, but at the end you always get the same 4 or 5 different rules mixed up differently.

Also the mini games are not even that clever. I honestly think vasebreaker from PvsZ 1 had honestly more depth and required more strategy than any of the "challenges" an mini games i've found so far in PvsZ2

mU66J7o.png

also the fact that now you can directly use upgrade plants (twin sunflower, etc) without planting them on an already existing plant also takes away part of the challenge.

Sorry popcap, you proved several times that you can make a sequel better than the previous game, but this time you didn't.

edit:

also speaking about the zombies: there's no much variety either. Most of them are the same zombie with a different coat of paint. Each era has some unique ones, but the basics are all the same.

Also where are the night levels? where are my mushrooms? This game took forever before actually coming out and all we got are 3 words, with a lot of repetitive challenges and a grind fest.
The first one had a lot of variety, a bunch of mini games and special challenges.

Regional differences? I never really noticed an IAP prompt either on the Australian version, besides the button to spend money on key gates (which is easily ignored)

It's cohort A/B testing. They'll sub-divide the playerbase into a few groups and try different prompt rates and see which results in the best monetization numbers, then roll that out to the wider group.

Not really sure about the resolution for this game. It looks like it's 480 x 320 or it's like playing on a screen with Vaseline on it. Maybe it's just the iPod Touch 4G I'm playing it on.

It's nice and sharp on my iphone 5, would not shock me if the 4g touch is running it sub retina.

But isn't the first game retina on an old touch? sucks if they had to change it for this version.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
game is still fun despite the iAP. I've been playing it all weekend without dropping a single cent.

Nome

I got at the end of the pirate world, and unfortunately the games really forces you into using IAP, not for the powerups (which always feel like cheating) but for the keys themselves, which turn this game into a real grind fest.

The "stars" challenges were fun at the beginning, but at the end you always get the same 4 or 5 different rules mixed up differently.

Also the mini games are not even that clever. I honestly think vasebreaker from PvsZ 1 had honestly more depth and required more strategy than any of the "challenges" an mini games i've found so far in PvsZ2

mU66J7o.png

also the fact that now you can directly use upgrade plants (twin sunflower, etc) without planting them on an already existing plant also takes away part of the challenge.

Sorry popcap, you proved several times that you can make a sequel better than the previous game, but this time you didn't.

edit:

also speaking about the zombies: there's no much variety either. Most of them are the same zombie with a different coat of paint. Each era has some unique ones, but the basics are all the same.

Also where are the night levels? where are my mushrooms? This game took forever before actually coming out and all we got are 3 words, with a lot of repetitive challenges and a grind fest.
The first one had a lot of variety, a bunch of mini games and special challenges.

I'm 5-6 hours in and I haven't used any money and have unlocked everything in Egypt and Pirates. If anything, this game undermonetizes.

My issues is with core game design. Encounters aren't remotely as interesting as PvZ1.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, fuck this game. The more I play it, the more I hate it. IAPs have legitimately ruined this game. Can someone please work on modding PvZ1?

TwiztidElf

So now it's retail globally, is there anyway to unlock the space world now?

When you 'finish' the cowboy world, it all ends very abruptly. Nothing like the awesome plant song at the end of PVZ1.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Is it possible that you have a screen saver on your phone this time around? I'm not having the same issues at all on my phone but my daughter has a screen saver on her phone and have seen/heard her having difficulties with touch response.

Minsc

Gold Member
Man, fuck this game. The more I play it, the more I hate it. IAPs have legitimately ruined this game. Can someone please work on modding PvZ1?

I'm not getting this at all. Game is not hard in the least so far. Have you tried Kingdom Rush / Frontiers on the hardest settings for a difficulty comparison?

Those are like a 7 or 8, and this is maybe a 2, with PvZ1 being a 1.

Also, the Vasebreaker mode from the original is perhaps the best thing about the whole game (including the actual game), not really surprised if it doesn't get surpassed.

I don't get the IAP complaints. You can play the entire game without it. The fact that it exists doesn't deter from otherwise enjoying the game. It's a petty complaint.

numble

The game is easy and would be easier with the upgraded plants. Almost every level can be beaten with a simple plan of using potato mines to get the first couple of guys (and use ice cabbage to slow down guys while your potatoes charge) prep your sunflowers (use double sunflowers), and then pea shooter and winter melons. Feed the double sunflowers plant food to get a ton of suns.

Maxxan

I really like this game, just pretend that the power ups don't exist.

Then again, I spent perhaps 10 hours with the first one, while some of you probably played a lot more. So perhaps that's why it doesn't feel like more of the same to me :)

The game is easy and would be easier with the upgraded plants. Almost every level can be beaten with a simple plan of using potato mines to get the first couple of guys (and use ice cabbage to slow down guys while your potatoes charge) prep your sunflowers (use double sunflowers), and then pea shooter and winter melons. Feed the double sunflowers plant food to get a ton of suns.

Add lightning plants and cannons to taste and that is pretty much it.

I thought I was the only one doing the potato mine trick :(

MarkusRJR

Ugh this game is such a disappointment. "Free to Play" ruined the pacing and makes you have to grind for keys and stars, and some of the plants (even ones from the first game) are locked behind expensive paywalls. The in app purchases are all hilariously expensive and the game itself is kind of a retread. The music this time around is horrible too. They clearly made the music an afterthought this time around and didn't use the same composer.

For someone who absolutely loves PvZ and owns like 3 copies, this is the biggest disappointment of 2013 so far. EA ruined PvZ with the decision to have a horrible "pay to avoid grinding" system instead of just making a fun game.

forces you into using IAP, not for the powerups (which always feel like cheating) but for the keys themselves, which turn this game into a real grind fest.

I have all the doors in the first world unlocked, and like...9 keys left over. Got 2 keys in the same level once.

I really have no idea what game the people whining about the IAP system are playing, because it sure isn't the PvZ 2 that I have.

I thought I was the only one doing the potato mine trick :(

Yeah that's my standard as well.

My problem with it is the in-game coins are useful for so little. There should be an option to buy some of the IAP stuff with those, rather than ring-fencing it all for real-world money. There's no way I'm going to pay upwards of $10 to get all the premium plants, but I would have paid for a few if I could have spent coins on the rest.

flowsnake

Yeah that's my standard as well.

My problem with it is the in-game coins are useful for so little. There should be an option to buy some of the IAP stuff with those, rather than ring-fencing it all for real-world money. There's no way I'm going to pay upwards of $10 to get all the premium plants, but I would have paid for a few if I could have spent coins on the rest.

But can't you unlock most of the plants just by playing the game anyway?

Peagles

Premium suggests they need paying for :(

I had a wee go at this yesterday on an iPad 3 or 4 or whatever it is now. Looks bland, low res, and just didn't grab me like the first one. Despite buying the original four or five times over, I think I'll have to pass on this one. I know its free and stuff but it just feels like there's something missing.

No some are paid only. The thing is there isn't a lot of point buying them.

For example why buy the squash thing when the chilli bean is much better? Beyond nostalgia, none of the paid plants or abilities actually seem worth it at all. This is espcially true with how easy it all is.

Maybe the power lily is OP but I never run out of plant food.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ugh this game is such a disappointment. "Free to Play" ruined the pacing and makes you have to grind for keys and stars, and some of the plants (even ones from the first game) are locked behind expensive paywalls. The in app purchases are all hilariously expensive and the game itself is kind of a retread. The music this time around is horrible too. They clearly made the music an afterthought this time around and didn't use the same composer.

For someone who absolutely loves PvZ and owns like 3 copies, this is the biggest disappointment of 2013 so far. EA ruined PvZ with the decision to have a horrible "pay to avoid grinding" system instead of just making a fun game.

You certainly don't have to grind for stars, nor do you have to struggle to get keys either in my experience. How far are you? I only made it to level six of the first challenge pyramid (save + quit) and got like 3 keys from that alone, opened up the 5 key for 25 sun lock, which gave me like 3 new levels, and I also have 30-odd new levels from the challenges to get as well.

I feel people complaining are doing so just to do so, because I sure can't understand the complaints. And if they think the game sucks, I believe that were they to "force" themselves to play the original again, the whole thing, they'd find it to be just as enjoyable as this, as the gameplay is not some new thing.

hEist

please telll me, there will be new worlds in the future. Or else i am asking myself WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG with only 3 freaking worlds.

I guess my one major complaint of the game, someone already mentioned it, was the limited challenges for the stars is just recycled over and over. That gets tedious after playing through all the worlds and it's not that enjoyable anymore after 20 times already doing it.

I've almost unlocked all the key gates in Wild West World now. Unless there's some free updates later then I might be finished with it altogether. I've had hours and hours of fun and it surprised me just how little the game shoves or requires the need the IAPs. Which is great and one thing that sent alarm bells ringing when it was first announced.

I feel people complaining are doing so just to do so, because I sure can't understand the complaints. And if they think the game sucks, I believe that were they to "force" themselves to play the original again, the whole thing, they'd find it to be just as enjoyable as this, as the gameplay is not some new thing.

I just did a full achievement run of PvZ1 prior to playing PvZ2, and they're not really comparable. The progression in PvZ1 is linear and skill based, with a small set of unlockable plants to augment the post-mainline content. In PvZ2 the progression is non-linear and grind or pay based, and that is primarily to drive the IAP mechanics. Eg if it's not clear to you what order to tackle stars, etc., you're more likely to spend coins on powers, or new plants, etc., in an attempt to get through content that would otherwise require high level play (or the cheese outlined above).

So now you're playing a metagame--what order do I play the stars in order to avoid the IAP walls, or how far can I get without paying anything. I hate that experience, and if I could have just given them $15 to play them go sans IAP I would have. But a key question to ask yourself is, would the mechanics and progression have been designed differently if there was no IAP? And the answer is of course. Because you can't do successful IAP without that inducement in the mechanics themselves. So it's lose/lose.

MarkusRJR

I just did a full achievement run of PvZ1 prior to playing PvZ2, and they're not really comparable. The progression in PvZ1 is linear and skill based, with a small set of unlockable plants to augment the post-mainline content. In PvZ2 the progression is non-linear and grind or pay based, and that is primarily to drive the IAP mechanics. Eg if it's not clear to you what order to tackle stars, etc., you're more likely to spend coins on powers, or new plants, etc., in an attempt to get through content that would otherwise require high level play (or the cheese outlined above).

So now you're playing a metagame--what order do I play the stars in order to avoid the IAP walls, or how far can I get without paying anything. I hate that experience, and if I could have just given them $15 to play them go sans IAP I would have. But a key question to ask yourself is, would the mechanics and progression have been designed differently if there was no IAP? And the answer is of course. Because you can't do successful IAP without that inducement in the mechanics themselves. So it's lose/lose.
Essentially this. I beat the entire first world and then it was like 'oh now go back to each level in this world to earn twenty-something stars (which I earned zero for my first run through each level except the bonus ones), or you can pay us $5 to unlock the next world.' Then tons of content is locked behind areas locked off with keys which you randomly acquire from killing monsters.... or you can pay to access the content without grinding.

Then you go into the in app store and see they label "best value" on the highest priced options despite sometimes not having more currency per dollar than getting some of the smaller packs. Then there are straight up "premium plants", where some are just from the first game and they charge you 3-5 dollars per plant. It's disgusting. I'd need to spend so much money to have a comparable experience to the first game in terms of content.

That's not even getting into the fact the game is less fun than the original and has horrible music. Okay maybe not horrible music, but definitely grating after playing for a while.

Premium suggests they need paying for :(

This.

please telll me, there will be new worlds in the future. Or else i am asking myself WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG with only 3 freaking worlds.

Future/alien world is next, you can see the outline in the world select already. Whether it'll be free or not I dunno.

x-Lundz-x

game is still fun despite the iAP. I've been playing it all weekend without dropping a single cent.

Count me in this camp. Granted, I have not left Egypt yet and am going around collecting the stars but so far it's been amazing and have not felt the need to spend a dime. Maybe the people who feel the IAP has ruined it are further than myself in the game but so far I have not felt that way.

That being said, I really wish they had two versions of the game. One free with IAP and one for like 15 bucks with all the premium plants available, with the ability to buy more coins if you want and in that case it would basically be just like PvZ1 in which you could still spend money on coins. I would like to give PopCap money for the game, however doing it with an IAP style and buying "premium" plants just feels wrong to me. I just don't like micro transactions.

oh what's this? Firing George Fan and giving it to someone else made the game worse? I wonder how many of the people couldn't concentrate due to fear that if they do too well they might get fired

elektrixx

Banned
Once I knew they were separate from the earnable upgrades, I bought all the upgrades and nothing else. Might've been about AU$8.

I finished the game last night. Apart from the tutorial level and when I used it by accident and decided to roll with it, I never used my coins and I think I have around 45k.

The way I played it felt like a regular game and I enjoyed it.

Interfectum

Played the game over the weekend, so far the game doesn't seem that annoying with the IAP. I could do without the pop-ups though. The most annoying thing is accidentally hitting the damn "$" and bringing up a menu while in-game.

Curufinwe

Girlfriend was looking forward to this game so much. IAP's ruined the game completely for her. She won't even touch it now.

My wife is the same. She bought and played the original on the 360, DS and PC, but when I asked if she wanted me to download PVZ2 on my iPhone for her to play she said she'll wait.

Interfectum

My wife is the same. She bought and played the original on the 360, DS and PC, but when I asked if she wanted me to download PVZ2 on my iPhone for her to play she said she'll wait.

She didn't even try it? I was a huge advocate against PvZ2 f2p nonsense but honestly you barely notice it. I'm really far into the game and not once felt like I need to buy something.

koene

Played for a few hours and I can say it's probably one of my biggest dissapointments in a long time. I feel like it could've been such a great game if it wasn't for:

- iAP, though this is not my main issue with the game
- replaying the same level over and over with different challenges becomes old fast.
- the biggest problem is the 'cheat' features that require coins. I feel like the whole game is build around this, being the higher difficulty as most obvious. We all know the previous PvZ1 was quit easy, but this one gets hard way too fast. By doing this, you are forced to cheat your way out by zapping enemies. I know you can just ignore the feature, but it's there and it's hard to resist using it when you have 50.000 coins. Even just knowing it's possible, spoils the whole experience for me.

To me personally, it feels like PvZ2 is trying too hard to get my cash. And in a way, I want really want to spend it, but not like this.

I guess it's back to Kingdom Rush: Frontiers. Now there's a sequel!

Top Bottom