• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs Zombies XBLA |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:
bannerdefault.jpg

What is Plants Vs. Zombies?

Plants vs. Zombies is a tower defense video game developed and originally published by PopCap Games for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X systems. The game involves a homeowner using many varieties of plants to repel an army of zombies. The homeowner, along with a neighbor called Crazy Dave, must defend the homeowner's house during day or night, in the front yard and the backyard (including the swimming pool), and even on the roof.

Plants vs. Zombies sees players placing different types of plants and fungi, such as Potato Mines, Pea shooters, Cattails, Hypno-shrooms, Cabbage-pults, Melon-pults, planterns and many others, each with their own unique offensive or defensive capabilities, across the front lawn, back lawn, and roof of a house in order to stop a horde of zombies from devouring the brains of the residents. The playing field is divided into a number of horizontal tracks, and in general, although there are exceptions (such as when the garlic plant is used), a zombie will only move towards the player's house along one track, and most plants can only attack or defend against zombies in the track they are planted in. In the game's initial levels, if the zombie reaches the player's house, a one-shot tool (a lawn mower or pool cleaner) can be used to completely wipe out zombies in that track, but the tool will not be restored until the next level. In later levels, players have to purchase upgrades so as to adapt their lawn-mower to new environments like pools or rooftops. Zombies, except in special cases, will start to devour any plant in their way before continuing towards the house.

The player starts with a limited number of seed packs and seed pack slots that they can use during most levels. New seed packs are gained by completing levels, while the number of slots can be increased through purchases with in-game money. At the start of a level, the player is shown the various types of zombies to expect and given the opportunity to select which seed packs to take into the level. In order to plant a seed, the player must have collected a specific amount of sunlight. Sunlight is generated by plants which provide sunlight at regular intervals, or is automatically generated regularly for the player during daytime levels. Seed packs also have a short time delay before the same seed can be planted again. Several plants are nocturnal, like mushrooms, having a lower sunlight cost and are ideal for nighttime levels, but will remain asleep during daytime levels unless startled by a coffee bean. In the "backyard" levels that includes a swimming pool, seeds must be planted atop lily pads on water spaces (with a few exceptions, such as the spikeweed that cannot be planted on lily pads), while on the roof levels, all seeds must be planted in flower pots. The various plant abilities range from firing projectiles at zombies, turning zombies against each other, quickly exploding and wiping out an area of zombies, and slowing down zombies. Certain plants are highly effective against specific types of zombies, such as a magnet-shroom that can remove metallic items from a zombie, such as helmets and ladders.

The zombies also come in a number of types that have different attributes, in particular, speed, damage tolerance, and abilities. As the player progresses in the game, the zombies will include those wearing makeshift armor, those that are able to jump or fly over plants, and even a disco zombie that is able to summon more zombies from the ground. In each level, zombies will approach the house randomly except at special points where the player will be inundated with a "huge wave" of zombies; a meter on screen shows an approximate timeline for the level so the player can prepare for these waves.

Release Date Price and New XBLA Content:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6269960.html

$15 Xbox Live Arcade version hitting "early September" with two new multiplayer modes, 12 achievements, and 21 minigames unique to the console version; boxed edition arriving at retail with Peggle and Zuma this fall for $19.99.

Plants vs. Zombies for XBLA will cost gamers 1,200 MS points, or $15, and will feature two new multiplayer modes, 12 achievements, and 21 minigames unique to the console version. The two new multiplayer modes are co-op and Versus mode, which were outed this weekend.

Additionally, the title will feature a new way for friends to track and share progress with each other over Xbox Live. The new social connectivity measures come in the form of customizable houses, which players can visit.

Video:

Plants Vs Zombies XBLA Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAa_lDAbSU

Screenshots:

PogoPartyMinigame.jpg

Co-OpBowling.jpg

Lvl2-5.jpg

MainMenu.jpg

VersusMode2.jpg

VersusMode1.jpg

VersusMenu1.jpg

Co-OpPool.jpg

Previews:

WorthPlaying
http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/8/3/previews/75948/

IGN XBLA
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1110056p1.html

VGRevolution
http://www.vgrevolution.com/2010/08/first-look-at-plants-vs-zombies-for-xbla/

360Sync
http://www.360sync.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/041.jpg

Interviews:

'Plants vs. Zombies' (XBLA) Interview with Ty Roberts
http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/8/22/interviews/76371/

Achievements:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/plants-vs-zombies/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Home Lawn Security 25
Complete adventure mode

Master of Morticulture 25
Collect all 49 plants in the game

Smarty Branches 15
Grow the Tree of Wisdom to at least 100 feet

Crash of the Titan 10
Defeat your first Gargantuar

ZFF's 4 Evr 20
Bowl a winner with a friend in Co-Op Wall-Nut Bowling

Alive and Planting 25
Survive 40 waves of pure zombie ferocity

Soil Your Plants 10
Plant your first 10 peashooters

Versus vs Versus 15
Go on a 5 game winning streak in VS. mode

Explodonator 20
Blast 10 zombies at once with a Cherry Bomb!

Close Shave 15
Win any level after all 5 lawnmowers have been used

Shopaholic 10
Go trunk diving and spend at least $25,000 on Crazy Dave's Twiddydinkies

Nom Nom Nom 10
Stop the horde using only the Sunflower, Wallnut, and Chomper on any level

Reviews: Pending

J-Roderton

Well Peggle has convinced me that Pop Cap is legit so I'm sure I will get this. Looks great.

WTF? Why would a plant fight a zombie?

Elixist

cool op shard. loved the game on pc not sure if i care to double dip tho. co op and versus could be rad we'll see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
playing this with a controller couldn't be any more unappealing. hell, I don't even want to play it with a mouse post-touch screen.

seady

I love PvsZ, but I really don't see a reason to get this version. It will probably be the version with the worst control.

nli10

Rad- said:
15 bucks? Good luck selling with that.

It's Popcap. If they are charging it then it's worth it.

While I was doubtful at first there are many more modes in this than I thought - it's like a day one GOTY as it's been around on other formats a while.

Wizman23

Banned
This is indeed a fun game on my iphone just because it is so intuitive with the easy touch screen controls. I can't see myself wanting to play this game with a controller at all.

Beaulieu

Jroderton said:
Well Peggle has convinced me that Pop Cap is legit so I'm sure I will get this. Looks great.

WTF? Why would a plant fight a zombie?

So you were living under a rock for the past 2 years I see...

FrankT

Not even going to trial it up. Just bought. Like Peggle for someone who has never played this I'm really looking forward to it and it would seem they really did work on the controls. One point I'm a bit confused on after reading that last interview with WP though is it just local co-op?

Rad-

cjelly said:
£5 cheaper than the PC version, plus it's widescreen 1080p, plus it has more features.

Yeah, seems like a rip-off to me... :-/

Hmm I thought the PC version was 10 bucks. That's the price I paid for it. Nevermind then.

Still too much to doubledip though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wizman23 said:
This is indeed a fun game on my iphone just because it is so intuitive with the easy touch screen controls. I can't see myself wanting to play this game with a controller at all.
Well, it'll be more challenging and it will feature multiplayer, so it might still be a good fit for XBLA.

I'd think about it if I never bought the iPhone version which I am happy to stick with, a good fun game but i'm not that mad over it like some of you :p

I've got this game on the PC and Touch, while I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about getting in on the XBLA..how well will this work? The game gets frantic, not having a mouse or touch screen to play this seems unplayable. =/

Seanspeed

Banned
I tried the PC demo, and yea, I'm really not sure how this is supposed to work on a controller. Too frantic at points.

Sucks, though, because even this modest game had my crappy PC stuttering like hell when things got busy, so I dont have much other choice..........

FrankT

Plants vs. Zombies Review

The transition from mouse and touch screen controls to a control pad has been handled very smoothly. It's easy to whisk your cursor around the screen with the analog stick and now you can hold the triggers to suck sunlight in. This version of Plants vs. Zombies doesn't feel cumbersome at all.

New to Plants vs. Zombies are competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes. Versus mode is particularly fun and lets one player take control of the zombie horde and try to eat their way into their buddy's house. When playing as the plants, you win by shooting down three of the zombie's five targets on their side of the screen. It's great fun. These multiplayer modes are only available locally.

PopCap is trying something different with Plants vs. Zombies' leaderboards on XBLA, and I'm not sure it works. Instead of a list of high scores or game completion percentages, you can show off your house to your Xbox Live friends. A pile of dead zombies will accrue on your lawn and ornaments will appear as you earn achievements, which are supposed to be representative of all you've accomplished in the game. As I'm playing the game early for review, I can't really get a sense of how satisfying it will be to check out my friends' houses.

Closing Comments
Plants vs. Zombies is charming and addictive, standing right up there with the best of PopCap's offerings like Peggle. It has that elusive "special something" that gets its hooks in you and convinces you to forego food, sleep, and other essentials just to see what the next level has in store. Even if you've already played through the game on PC or iPhone, the versus multiplayer mode is definitely worth checking out.

IGN Ratings for Plants vs. Zombies (X360).
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
Loads of features and a slick interface. There's a lot more content here than in most tower defense games. New multiplayer modes have been added.
8.0 Graphics
The cast of plants and zombies is colorful and adorable.
8.5 Sound
Catchy, lighthearted, and spooky tunes that build in intensity as zombies fill the screen.
9.0 Gameplay
Something new and delightful is waiting to be discovered with each new level. You'll be saying "just one more level" long after you planned to stop playing.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Level after level after level of zombie thwarting leads to mini-games, puzzles, and a survival mode. Even if you've already played, you'll want to check out the multiplayer.

OVERALL Outstanding

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1118837p1.html

Raxus

John said:
Do you still have to click on all the sun points? That got to be a tad much in the PC version
Reduced to a trigger. Sad but understandable especially with the craziness you have to manage with planting.

Rad- said:
Hmm I thought the PC version was 10 bucks. That's the price I paid for it. Nevermind then.

Still too much to doubledip though.
:lol It's a knee jerk reaction here. You guys see "$15" and you're programmed to go into instant haywire-mode. Hopefully most of us here will stop, look and realize that $15 is actually a great deal in most situations, like you did.

I think it may just be that combination of numbers though. We should test "15" with other purchasable items and see how Gaf reacts.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gotta be the the smallest interest in a thread for a pretty popular game I've seen in a long time.
Controls do seem to kill the interest for me too.

Jonsoncao said:
should I buy this or that $20 disk version which comes with Peggle and Zuma?
You have to be asking this because you don't have Peggle or Zuma.
The answer seems pretty easy in that case.

Top Bottom