• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs Zombies XBLA |OT|

I heard it was a really good game, but I had never played it. I gave in and bought it.. instantly fell in love.

I can't say much about the controls compared to the PC version, seeing as how I haven't played the PC version. In my opinion, the controls aren't bad at all.

I'd probably rebuy it if PopCap re-released it on PC in HD and with multiplayer. It's weird to see the consoles getting superior versions (of this and Peggle) in those regards.

Any word on this coming to PS3?

Lothars

Spotless Mind said:
I'd probably rebuy it if PopCap re-released it on PC in HD and with multiplayer. It's weird to see the consoles getting superior versions (of this and Peggle) in those regards.

Any word on this coming to PS3?

it will probably be out on PS3 in a couple months.

Nelo Ice

Banned
gonna pick this up when it comes out on disc and now i can finally get peggle and zuma

have pvz and peggle on pc but ive been too cheap to buy zuma on xbla or pc :lol

Drakken

This game is way too addictive. Didn't even realize it was past 1 AM.

It's safe to say I'm very satisfied with this purchase. It seems like it has a boatload of content. Played for a few hours tonight and got to level 3-6 (iirc) plus completed a couple of the minigames.

Never played it, downloaded the demo on XBLA. $15 too much, $10 would have been instant purchase. Decided to get the portable version so bought the iPod Touch version for $3

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just a heads-up, I finally just decided to delete all cookies for Chrome and Marketplace works fine again - I don't see any cookie deletion in IE, and deleting everything else still doesn't work there, and I definitely won't wipe all cookies for Firefox as it's my primary so I'll try to delete xbox.com's cookies there separately.

I'm pissed that the mask isn't free anymore though - wish I had found this solution much earlier instead of having this problem for like a whole month while on vacation.

Man, I'm so conflicted about buying this. I love the Three-Sexy controls. They work extremely well. I definitely enjoy them over the PC version and thought having suns attract to the cursor, like a magnet, was genius!

It's a shame Reach comes out in four days, as I can only handle one addiction at a time. :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
game is fun but seems easy... hopefully difficulty ramps up tonight

sweetvar26 said:
I did not say I can't afford it, I said I don't want to support games 1200 MS, just like how I don't want to support map packs with 3 maps for 1200 MS.

EDIT: I go to University, still a student.

i hope you're not an econ student

3 maps for 1200 = not a good value for you. make sense but how could every game priced at 1200 be considered a bad value? surely some game will make you bite. whatever genre/game that happens to be

jon bones said:
game is fun but seems easy... hopefully difficulty ramps up tonight
Yeah that's my main gripe. It's not a difficult game at all. At least not on the first playthrough. Hopefully the second playthrough is more difficult since it's a bit different.

The puzzles can get a bit tough though, and survival mode should be fun.

tjohn86

Man this game looks good on 360... I wish they would update the PC version to 1080p

1200 is a little too steep for a double dip but I might pick it up when its on sale.

Seanspeed

Banned
Went to Gamestop today and found out the PvsZ/Peggle disc combo doesn't come out til the 28th or something like that.

Thats lousy.

EDIT: Just saw somebody pointed it out to me already. Doh!

nli10

Drakken said:
This game is way too addictive. Didn't even realize it was past 1 AM.

It's safe to say I'm very satisfied with this purchase. It seems like it has a boatload of content. Played for a few hours tonight and got to level 3-6 (iirc) plus completed a couple of the minigames.

I agree. Only stopped as my eyes were healing over & I have work...

£10 for this is a steal - I knew there were lots of modes, but 20 differnet mini games, co-op & Vs and the actual adventure mode are already sitting there - with survival and other goodies left to unlock!

NinjaBoiX

AndyMoogle said:
Yeah that's my main gripe. It's not a difficult game at all. At least not on the first playthrough. Hopefully the second playthrough is more difficult since it's a bit different.

The puzzles can get a bit tough though, and survival mode should be fun.

Yeah, it is a little easy, just started new game ++, only failed a handful of occasions. Survival mode is a bit of a let down too, last about the length of three or four normal matches. I wanted it to be throwing everything at me but it's just a longer normal level to be honest.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Yeah, it is a little easy, just started new game ++, only failed a handful of occasions. Survival mode is a bit of a let down too, last about the length of three or four normal matches. I wanted it to be throwing everything at me but it's just a longer normal level to be honest.

If you're looking for a challenge, you're doing it wrong. The adventure mode (even New Game +) is Easy Street. Survival Endless is really hard and requires some strategy. The problem is you have to finish all the other survival modes to unlock it, and they're not very challenging. Some of the mini-games are also hard.

This game is easily worth the price tag if you play all the modes. So far I've finished all the puzzles, played some versus and co-op, finished all the survival modes (got up to 40 in survival endless), bought everything, grew the tree of life to 100+ feet, and am halfway through the second playthrough to unlock the final zombie in the Encyclopedia. Still have half the mini-games to play through as well. If I had the time, I'd try to get 100 levels in Survival Endless, but I have other games I have to get back to and finish first.

Played through this game for the first time and I liked it but wow was it an effin cakewalk. Pretty much the same strategy can be implemented the same way and win 99% of the campaign. Peggle was harder than this game.
I do love the infinite survival but i'm disappointed there's only one of these in the entire package. These are all of the 'true leaderboard worthy challenges' they can come up with? Disappointed with the lack of variety overall here.

I got my 15 bucks worth but barely and it's a shame cause the game was starting to get interesting before it ended. Maybe my standards for intelligence in a tower defense were too high after playing the masterful defense grid.

But I haven't done absolutely everything yet. Still got 2 player modes to try. I Look forward to trying versus/co-op with the lady if she can get into it. It's a good game overall but I guess my standards were out of line.

dallow_bg said:
Just to give folks a heads up, game is free if you make a Taiwanese Live profile.

Credit to CAG:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273641

Worked for me, and I can play it on my US account fine.
Thanks man. Worked great for me and friends. The analog controls suck because my stick has a tiny amount of play so it wanders like crazy. D-pad controls are great, reminds me of Advance Wars. I prefer the PC one, but this one is nice to have for co-op and shit.

GhaleonEB

I picked this up after my daughter got hooked on it playing the XBLA version at a friend's house, and beat the story mode last night.

I enjoyed it for the most part. It did a good job of adding something new to the mix after almost every level. The art and sound design is delightful, and the interface nicely intuitive. The mini games at the end of each area did a nice job of breaking up the gameplay style.

One strategy seemed to work for almost every round in a wave. Once I figured out an arrangement, I found I could stick with that for most, if not all, rounds in that area. Most of the time the differences between rounds was very minor. Only one area gave me trouble (the roof) and that was mostly because I didn't like the design decision to force the back rows to be one of a handful of plants. It was an odd decision to slowly unlock this massive list of plants, and then have the final area be one where 2/3 of the gameplay space is limited to a couple types of plants added just for that area. It limited the gameplay and made the ending a bit boring.

Overall I definitely preferred Defense Grid on XBLA as a tower defense game. It had a better sense of build-up and less clutter to the deployable towers, and the levels were not nearly as repetitive. But this had its own set of charms and seems like a good casual/beginner tower game (though the end boss is a very large difficulty spike). And I'm going to go back and work through the puzzle mode, because the few I did last night were pretty fun.

Worth the $15 for the single player alone, IMO.

Edit: since this post I've played the fuck out of Zen Garden, mini-games, the puzzle mode, survival, grown an epic tree and done half the second campaign play through. So yeah. Lots to do here.

After beating Peacebloom vs. Ghouls (see: WoW), I decided I'm getting this game. What is the definitive version? Should I wait for the DS version or just play it on PC or are the XBLA controls and content just as nice and meaty as the PC version?

The Lamonster said:
After beating Peacebloom vs. Ghouls (see: WoW), I decided I'm getting this game. What is the definitive version? Should I wait for the DS version or just play it on PC or are the XBLA controls and content just as nice and meaty as the PC version?

It is going on sale from next Monday on XBLA if that helps you decision (down to 800MP from 1200MP)... If you are planing on that one, it might be worth a wait to save some money

The definitive edition is probably iPad/iPhone imo, the game is fantastic with touch controls. I think the iPad version has the most content too, but could be wrong

The Lamonster said:

iPad version is the definitive one in terms of controls.

Keyser Soze said:
It is going on sale from next Monday on XBLA if that helps you decision (down to 800MP from 1200MP)... If you are planing on that one, it might be worth a wait to save some money

The definitive edition is probably iPad/iPhone imo, the game is fantastic with touch controls. I think the iPad version has the most content too, but could be wrong
Goddam, that aligns with the DS release date :lol

I don't want to wait, I might just get the PC version so I can play tonight!

Vinterbird said:
iPad version is the definitive one in terms of controls.
I should mention I don't have an iPhone or iPad.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Keyser Soze said:

xbla version has the most content i think since it has unique mini games multi and the rest of the stuff included in the pc version

speaking of which anyone still play this?
wondering since i want to have more people on my friends leaderboard since the house thing is kinda cool

i played the hell out of pc version yet they still managed to suck me in and ive been playing the hell out of the xbla version too ><

Top Bottom