• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs Zombies XBLA |OT|

xbhaskarx

Wow, I think this works really well.
In some ways the controls are smoother than on the PC. You can use the bumpers to select plants and you don't need to click on the shovel to use that either, so although you're moving around a lot slower, you can multitask. Another example is picking up sunshine as you're moving to the spot where you want to plant something.

I still like the iPhone version best but this may be #2.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
xbhaskarx said:
In some ways the controls are smoother than on the PC. You can use the bumpers to select plants and you don't need to click on the shovel to use that either, so although you're moving around a lot slower, you can multitask. Another example is picking up sunshine as you're moving to the spot where you want to plant something.

Agreed. I tried the demo and immediately bought the full game. Works great with the controller.

Gowans

Checked the demo out, it's fab. Works so much better than you would think.

I can't justify spending 1200 points on it when I have it half done on iPad and iPhone.

The leaderboard system seems very odd.

snap0212

xbhaskarx said:
In some ways the controls are smoother than on the PC.

I agree. I can't believe how good it controls. So easy. I have only played for about an hour, but it's already my favourite version of this game. Everyone should at least try the demo. :)

Definitely triple-dipping on this. For $15 (and now knowing the controller is a good finger/mouse substitute) I'd play through again for the XBL achievements alone. But with the new features this is a must-own.

Now to check out those achievements - I hope they have some new ones...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Out already? Seems like it just got announced yesterday.

And I just realized that I never even played a web trial of it or anything, and I'm not back in Europe yet to even try the XBLA trial so I'll play the web one tonight, and knowing how PopCap games are, I'll wait till I'm absolutely done with everything I have to do for the night before I get hooked and don't want to stop... :lol

Gowans007 said:

This damn Xbox.com website has really been pissing me off lately with this Marketplace redirecting loop bullshit - anything like redeeming codes or downloading from links just gets stuck in a loop over and over and nothing happens anymore - I searched and lots of others are getting the same problem as well...

Even the US link does it for me as well:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/g...66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109ff&p=1&of=6

I hope that the free item stays there until the problem is fixed damnit.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So relieved to hear that the new control scheme seems to work well. It was the one thing that was going to make or break the XBLA port. Obviously nothing will replace a good touch screen or the trusty mouse, but this seems like a good compromise for some 52 inch HD zombie-mowing goodness (yes yes, I've heard of a HTPC). My wife will be ecstatic.

stuminus3

I really can't understand the point of this when the superior PC version will run on pretty much everything with a power supply.

But I'll give it a try, anyway.

RedStep

stuminus3 said:
I really can't understand the point of this when the superior PC version will run on pretty much everything with a power supply.

While you're here, how is the multiplayer on the superior PC version? Does the control scheme work with two players on one keyboard?

Oh, wait...

Gowans

Skilotonn said:
This damn Xbox.com website has really been pissing me off lately with this Marketplace redirecting loop bullshit - anything like redeeming codes or downloading from links just gets stuck in a loop over and over and nothing happens anymore - I searched and lots of others are getting the same problem as well...

Yeah it does it in Chrome too, only way round it for me was IE Tab :(

GeekyDad

xbhaskarx said:

Interesting. I was having trouble imagining how the controls would work/feel with a regular console controller. Think I'm still gonna pass, but I'm really excited that it will be coming to DS. That seems like another great platform for the game, and without an iPhone, DS is my only real option for playing this on the can.

stuminus3

RedStep said:
While you're here, how is the multiplayer on the superior PC version? Does the control scheme work with two players on one keyboard?
I dunno, I don't have any friends. :-(

I don't have Peggle yet either so I'll just be grabbing the disc version this fall, but this is definitely one step up my purchase list after the positive impressions about the controls.

FrankT

AndyMoogle said:

Well that's great as I'm in trouble now. I've probably put more time in Peggle than anything this summer.

snap0212 said:
Best version control wise. Better than PC, iPhone, iPad... imo.

Good to hear. Seems overall the control questions have been put to rest.

JesseZao

rezuth said:
Better than iPhone and iPad? I somehow doubt that but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I've only played it on ipod, but it's nice being able to cycle through plants while keeping your cursor on the lawn.

I haven't played through the entire game yet, but so far I don't feel like I'm behind in getting plants up or collecting drops. The controls work well.

xbhaskarx

snap0212 said:
Best version control wise. Better than PC, iPhone, iPad... imo.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. iPhone the controls work because it's easy to quickly touch various parts of the screen because it's small and you're using your finger. But the controls are better than on the PC because all that frantic clicking around by dragging the mouse from place to place can get annoying. Basically it's fun on the iPhone but gets tiresome on the PC, imo.
But on XBLA as long as you keep your seeds in an order where you can quickly remember where to find what you need, there's definitely nothing to complain about in terms of the controls.

Seanspeed

Banned
stuminus3 said:

I get pretty bad slowdowns when things get crazy on my PC.

So I'm thrilled to hear the controls are not just 'ok' on the 360, but 'good'. The demo was a blast. I'll be checking stores tomorrow for the disk version with Peggle, as I've heard great things about that game, too.

Will probably be the only 'new' game I buy for the rest of the year, and I think I'll be happy with that, as I'm still playing Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, Red Dead Redemption and Dead Space.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seanspeed said:
I'll be checking stores tomorrow for the disk version with Peggle, as I've heard great things about that game, too.

According to Amazon and Gamestop, the disk version doesn't release (In the US) until September 28th. So don't go out looking too fast!

For me, I'll probably get the XBLA version soon. I've wanted the game, but prefer consoles over PC for everything. Co-Op / VS is also a bit of a plus, love all these local-friendly co-op games lately. I have very little interest in Zuma. I kinda like Peggle, but it's no huge loss I couldn't get later.

Suprised at the small file size; so much stuff has released lately that has been HUGE, it's nice to have something that fits very nicely on the hard drive.

Leatherface

What is with games being $15 lately? PSN is the same. $9.99 is the sweet spot unless your game is Wipeout HD or something epic. :|

I'm not sure if I'm going to like these controls. Either way, I haven't played it in about a year and there looks to be some minor upgrades. Multiplayer with a friend should be fun. Coming with Peggle? I'm buying the disc.

played the demo. controls are fantastic. much better than I was expecting.

really hard to resist picking it up, but I already have it for PC/iPod Touch, and have it pre-ordered for DS.

Leatherface said:
What is with games being $15 lately? PSN is the same. $9.99 is the sweet spot unless your game is Wipeout HD or something epic. :|
You'll get many hours worth of gameplay for those $15. The adventure mode alone probably takes longer to beat than most $60 games.

stuminus3 said:

Not true. It requires a semi-recent PC to run at a decent speed once a lot is happening on screen.

Drakken

I'd seen my brother and his friend play this on their iPhones before but never actually tried it myself. This game is awesome! Controls super well and is so much fun. Even though I've spent too much money lately I couldn't resist buying it when the trial ended.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kafel said:
Check the marketplace for Avatars on your console, it's free there as well.

Won't be able to get back to my Xbox till the 25th so the website is all I got, and it's been busted ever since I left, such perfect timing too.

Gowans007 said:
Yeah it does it in Chrome too, only way round it for me was IE Tab :(

Firefox, Chrome and IE all give the same error for me - I cleared the cache and everything else (then again it doesn't actually say cache anywhere in the new IE) and it STILL didn't work - I had to leave so I just said screw it and left it.

Don't feel like clearing everything from Firefox and Chrome just to fix this so yeah...

I played the trial, loved it, never tried before but the 1200 MS is a big turn off, I just don't feel like supporting a game that is priced 1200 or more, never did before and will have to wait I guess but this is really tempting for me.

FUCK.

jon bones said:
jobs that hard to find in boston?

I did not say I can't afford it, I said I don't want to support games 1200 MS, just like how I don't want to support map packs with 3 maps for 1200 MS.

EDIT: I go to University, still a student.

Tempted to pick this up again, but I quit playing both the PC and iPhone versions at the same point because I get frustrated and quit. Few levels in to when the mist shows up. Fuck the mist.

Top Bottom