• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plastic Scale Modeling Age |OT| Planes, tanks, cars, sci-fi & more

Any reason why Tamiya are still reusing the same kits from 30 years ago?

Not really sure, I'm guessing it just keeps selling. I'd like to check out some other 1/350 carriers, especially the ones from Trumpeter. I'd also like to know why it seems to be the only 1/350 Enterprise on the market. Sure it's a good kit, but has plenty of room for improvement (building a post 80s version requires a lot of scratch building).

Fucking cool

I know! Wish I could take the credit lol, but they weren't that challenging to assemble.

dubc35

Whoa, I didn't know this thread existed! I have a AE86 car model in work (well sitting for the last couple years, but I started it!) I bought it along with a Subaru rally car and the rally mechanics set from a hobby shop that was going out of business. :( ...but it's a pub that I somewhat frequent now so I guess it's ok. Oh, and +1 to the members with McLaren F1 car models waiting to be built. MP4/4 here.

Awesome work on the carrier build!

dubc35

You're making progress! A lot more than I can say. Your post made me realize the hobby shop that went out of business where I bought my latest models, went out of business probably 5 years ago! lol smh

Yeah it must be hard for some hobby shops these days, it's the kind of hobby that flourishes on the internet, where it's much easier to get the parts you need. I bought the Enterprise kit from my local, but all the aftermarket parts have come from eBay.

Hate to be the only one posting in here. :(

Anyway, some more work on the Big E, got all the photoetch handrails on the hull, now about to start applying them to the island.

tumblr_ny23o6tanQ1sar356o1_1280.jpg

NEO0MJ

I'm just such a slow builder :(

Though maybe if I post progress here every so often I'll feel more desire to work on my current kit more often.

Chuckie

Is this the right place to post my ZOIDS Gordos?

The paint job isn't awesome like some of you guys have done, but still I am satisfied. It looks much better painted than it did unpainted.

Gordos_fin.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I gotta ask because it's something that has halted my progress on MANY model kits...

How do you go about balancing the assembly, painting and gap filling process? Are there any true "step by step" tutorials/blogs out there that detail the process of opening a fresh kit and putting it on a display shelf?

I tend to get excited about a new kit, study the assembly and the painting process, but realize that I'm clueless on where to go with it from there. For example, one of the car kits I bought was calling out like 20 different paints. Fine, I can deal with that. But it was like Oily Steel, Brushed Steel, Bronzed Silver, etc. all for small individual pieces on the engine. Is that supposed to be brush painted or airbrushed on?

Also, when assembling painted parts, well, how? I like to paint everything before assembly, but then nothing will stick together or the glue ruins the paint.

So what sort of info is out there for people to really grasp those fundamentals?

I gotta ask because it's something that has halted my progress on MANY model kits...

How do you go about balancing the assembly, painting and gap filling process? Are there any true "step by step" tutorials/blogs out there that detail the process of opening a fresh kit and putting it on a display shelf?

I tend to get excited about a new kit, study the assembly and the painting process, but realize that I'm clueless on where to go with it from there. For example, one of the car kits I bought was calling out like 20 different paints. Fine, I can deal with that. But it was like Oily Steel, Brushed Steel, Bronzed Silver, etc. all for small individual pieces on the engine. Is that supposed to be brush painted or airbrushed on?

Also, when assembling painted parts, well, how? I like to paint everything before assembly, but then nothing will stick together or the glue ruins the paint.

So what sort of info is out there for people to really grasp those fundamentals?

Yeah, I know the feeling of buying an awesome kit, then getting that sinking feeling when I realise how complicated it's going to be.

I subscribe to model building channels on YouTube, and I try to get a mix of different skill levels as everyone has something to share that you never thought of before. And it's fun watching different models being built up, even if I have no interest in the subject matter.

Following a step by step guide can be difficult as every kit needs a different approach. For tanks and armour I usually assemble everything first then paint. For things like aircraft and cars you need to paint the interiors first before assembly. So it can be tricky working out what you need to paint and what you can save for later.

It's a bit cliche but it all comes down to experience. Start on some really cheap simple kits and try different techniques, before long you'll work out a system that works for you. And don't worry about making mistakes, it happens to everyone. The real skill is being able to correct them or cover them up. :p

And yes, normal plastic glue won't work on painted pieces. You have two options: sand back the paint on the area you need to glue, or use a different glue (I use superglue and PVA for small painted bits).

As for painting, it's completely up to you how you want to apply it. An airbrush will give you an even, consistent coat, but you won't be able to paint small detailed areas without masking off areas. A brush give you more control (against hard edges) but there's a real skill to minimise brush strokes.

Anyone mess around with hot wheels or other diecast stuff?

Recently started messing around with some hot wheels and have already amassed around 70 or so in only a few weeks. Anyways, I did a wheel swap and detail job on my first one today. What do you guys think?

r34 said:

I'm probably going to do a full strip and repaint on a supra next. i'll take some pics of the process this time if anyone is interested.

Can you share some of the channels you subscribe to?

TrekWorks - this guy makes the most amazing sci-fi models and cars
Doctor Fausts Painting Clinic - mostly figures and stuff, but has some good painting techniques
ScaleModelAlberta - this guy can be funny sometimes, he can get quite annoyed with various topics, it's always good to know I'm not the only one
QDC - I love this guy, he seems really nice if a bit awkward at times, the amateur nature of his videos is what I like about them I think. He does some good step by step videos and explains some of the more basic techniques.
QuickKits - does some great builds without using an airbrush
FloryModels - one of the pros, but mostly does reviews
...and my own channel - speaking of amateur, this is right up there lol.

Recently started messing around with some hot wheels and have already amassed around 70 or so in only a few weeks. Anyways, I did a wheel swap and detail job on my first one today. What do you guys think?

I'm probably going to do a full strip and repaint on a supra next. i'll take some pics of the process this time if anyone is interested.

Looks great! I wouldn't have guessed the second picture was a custom job.

I follow this thread and a bunch of youtubers that build scale models. Airplanes are my favorite followed by gundams and muscle cars. I used to build a ton of models in Jr. High but it was never serious or painted, just follow instructions and slap on Testors glue. Well about a week ago I picked up a 1/144 scale Academy F-16 and some model making supplies. I had such a good time building and painting it that the bug is back hard. I picked up a few more kits and I can't wait to give them a go. Hopefully I can get the courage to post some WIP or finished kits.

I find building scale models very relaxing.

I follow this thread and a bunch of youtubers that build scale models. Airplanes are my favorite followed by gundams and muscle cars. I used to build a ton of models in Jr. High but it was never serious or painted, just follow instructions and slap on Testors glue. Well about a week ago I picked up a 1/144 scale Academy F-16 and some model making supplies. I had such a good time building and painting it that the bug is back hard. I picked up a few more kits and I can't wait to give them a go. Hopefully I can get the courage to post some WIP or finished kits.

I find building scale models very relaxing.

It really is relaxing. Sometimes I like to just shut out all external noise and distractions, no tv or music, and just get into a zone.

lastplayed, I'm eagerly awaiting updates on your ship. :)

Do you guys know http://imodeler.com ? really neat site with cool models. :)

I have everything I need to finish the kit now, mind you that's what I thought before buying photoetch and resin upgrades. But now I have all the planes, all the figures, all the decals, and the ship itself is 99% finished. Just got to work on the planes and deck vehicles now.

dubc35

I haven't messed around diecast much but I find myself buying some for my daughter, I'd love to see the process if you want to share!

I haven't messed around diecast much but I find myself buying some for my daughter, I'd love to see the process if you want to share!

The process really differs depending on what you want to do. I used this thread from GTPlanet.net hot wheels customing to start myself off on the basics and I supplement that with youtube videos.

The hardest thing so far from my experience is getting good wheels from other cars/diecasts. I tend to hit the flea markets to get stuff on the cheaper side since I can't justify spending 4-5 bucks on a car just for its wheels. The only ones I do that for are the watanabe style wheels on the real riders, but I tend to love older japanese cars which the wheels look perfect on.

I also wanted to post a truck I found at the flea market and decided to slam it out and give it some details. I wish I took some before pics but I always forget until after I've done something irreversible.

dodge1500slammed said:

dubc35

The process really differs depending on what you want to do. I used this thread from GTPlanet.net hot wheels customing to start myself off on the basics and I supplement that with youtube videos.

Awesome, thanks! Truck looks good too!

I bought a lot of ~100 cars on ebay, some are well used so this will help. I also threw a couple in the garbage but will pull them back out for wheels and other bits now that I see they could have some value!

unkowntome

Neo Member
Finding out this thread just as I finished my first automotive kit(been doing only gundams)

hGaYQDF.jpg

s2xpga2.jpg

pODMBTD.jpg

The last pic really shows my lack of skills and picking this kit for my first automotive kit seems really stupid now that I think about...
Also does anyone knows how is the tamiya tire decals apply? i totally mess those up.

Been ages since I've built a model, but I'm deep in the grip of Star Wars mania and I just ordered myself one of these:

Does anyone have any experience with the Bandai Star Wars kits? Last time the modelling bug hit me the Star Wars stuff was all Fine Molds, which were without a doubt the best model kits I've ever laid hands on, but I guess they missed out on the licence this time around. Bandai's got a lot to live up to :p

Accoun

Does anyone have any experience with the Bandai Star Wars kits?

Not my post, but I found it today on a Polish forum. Post was from February this year, might be of help:
Today I finally got my TIE Advanced.
I took a look and it's not as bad as I feared.
Although the parts are pre-painted, there should be no problem with masking it and painting it your way.
Detail quality is maybe not worse than in Fine Molds, but the kit quality is maybe on the same level.
I mean, maybe it just gives that impression, maybe the details aren't worse.
Overall, everything surely looks excellent.

113.jpg

From curiosities, one has to mention the decals and... stickers. Because they are probably stickers.
Anyway, the manufacturer gave in the box a set of decals, and a second one with the same print, that looks like paper stickers.
I don't know why and what for (because even if you assemble it without painting on your own, you can use decals), but I think it's possible to use them for masking the fairing.
Because the kit contains decals and stickers that allow you to cover the front window and the top hatch. In fine Molds you had to paint it.
Anyway, the model looks very, very promising.

114.jpg

Also, apparently the manual is only in Japanese, including the color descriptions (no paint numbers given like it was in Fine Molds). There's a translation of that part on http://www.mech9.com/2015/02/172-x-wing-starfighter-construction.html. It's an older X-wing kit (pre-TFA), but there may be a translation for the new one somewhere?

Can you share some of the channels you subscribe to?

As mentioned by others qdc748a does a great job showing basics and different techniques.https://www.youtube.com/user/qdc748a
This German guy Hamilkar Barkas is a serious pro. He does really any kits he can get. He hasn't done a tutorial for a while but he's been doing some reviews. https://www.youtube.com/user/888HamilkarBarkas888

Legrandzilla does amazing work with Monster/Kaiju/ Godzilla Model kits. He also shows great painting/ sculpting techniques along with diorama bases.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdCSYuD3vYzYY-dogs3Hag

Also unfortunately they don't have english subs but I watch alot of Plamo Tsukurou, I didn't see if it was mentioned here but its a japanese show full of model kit tutorials.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plamo+tsukurou

Question about paint sealers.
Okay so im having 2 issues;

1. Flat sealer never seems to dry completely and stays tacky seemingly forever(tried many brands but Krylon is my default.)

2. Gloss dries great almost instantly but always dries with a weird grit to it.

Hey dudes can someone recommend some super fine detailing brushed for me?

Been touching up some xwing miniatures like this:

and using citadel brushes...

Thanks!

I usually just buy the thinnest brush I can find in the hobby shop. :p Sorry not really sure of the brand.

Question about paint sealers.
Okay so im having 2 issues;

1. Flat sealer never seems to dry completely and stays tacky seemingly forever(tried many brands but Krylon is my default.)

2. Gloss dries great almost instantly but always dries with a weird grit to it.

Oh man, I could spend all day documenting my experiments in clear coats.

To cut a long story short, I finally settled on Tamiya spray cans. Clear for the gloss, and Flat Clear for the matte.

They aren't as fine as I might like, but they give a good finish and are pretty consistent coming out of the can.

I recently did my Vikings in Tamiya's gloss as seen here, then I applied the flat clear and it toned down the shine considerably.

NEO0MJ

Just make sure when you buy sealer regardless of the brand that it is chemically fit to cover the paint you used.

NEO0MJ

Only paint I have which I think would be an issue is the super cheap Apple Barrel paint I only use on low end stuff.

I don't think quality is as important as using the right stuff together. I ruined a kit because I didn't make sure what chemical the sealer was using. Turns out it was for lacquer painted items but I used it with an acrylic painted miniature and so it ate through it.

Bit of an arty shot of my almost-finished-Enterprise.

I'm just waiting on a plastic display box to be made before I glue on the planes and figures and a few final touches. This is almost six months work coming to a close, feels good man.

XWDL22jMbZ-NaTOvSOzcLInPKx0Th4fbkU6m8-fUFSf0ThokHqCyoBHyslrXdxM62W0_cXURs9fW5a2vfqYVso5ovaLDMuL6YE04HkuBVn7BlLaTPTfYhlXUQ8uQwoZIYTC5qsTyUUVx6h620PAl6DUtaGwHsp1qyI14uZvnew6S-8-LHgB3nJpvoi1WbUwu0xVvn0MXvKrmwnynL5aYkCvCcdWKvIjDfLeUuIXyldAJOUbTR-Ct8rylL4QVk0QGX2eTbY7OxaSEIGgoDMNaExr2dtUkglRCQYkBdRreSLMybwBRGsW239tmbaN36dn1rr_5SyvzCgicF2wLCEMjRnHKvFFqfHD_qg1u9SZMxPqlc5DQiih4a6rTKc5NBVd_tmjPolSFP0Aut0jWWOKMSg-wIP5Wt76VqQQq5n2Chjc4fXDdS8SXrBbwTXrlbOWJy-Yfc9yBuFyijosDF-dUDPxJinl6P5-s4zkHKN_UITZbIyZ7i7HuEAsNkWNyoH2gXsaK5GOh5nMfN7eQMrkWs5MMhvM5_4auWvmHPsdKEYH9_qdFg26zONILVv2xtkuTJvnY9Q=w1920-h682-no

hunchback

I'm just waiting on a plastic display box to be made before I glue on the planes and figures and a few final touches. This is almost six months work coming to a close, feels good man.

XWDL22jMbZ-NaTOvSOzcLInPKx0Th4fbkU6m8-fUFSf0ThokHqCyoBHyslrXdxM62W0_cXURs9fW5a2vfqYVso5ovaLDMuL6YE04HkuBVn7BlLaTPTfYhlXUQ8uQwoZIYTC5qsTyUUVx6h620PAl6DUtaGwHsp1qyI14uZvnew6S-8-LHgB3nJpvoi1WbUwu0xVvn0MXvKrmwnynL5aYkCvCcdWKvIjDfLeUuIXyldAJOUbTR-Ct8rylL4QVk0QGX2eTbY7OxaSEIGgoDMNaExr2dtUkglRCQYkBdRreSLMybwBRGsW239tmbaN36dn1rr_5SyvzCgicF2wLCEMjRnHKvFFqfHD_qg1u9SZMxPqlc5DQiih4a6rTKc5NBVd_tmjPolSFP0Aut0jWWOKMSg-wIP5Wt76VqQQq5n2Chjc4fXDdS8SXrBbwTXrlbOWJy-Yfc9yBuFyijosDF-dUDPxJinl6P5-s4zkHKN_UITZbIyZ7i7HuEAsNkWNyoH2gXsaK5GOh5nMfN7eQMrkWs5MMhvM5_4auWvmHPsdKEYH9_qdFg26zONILVv2xtkuTJvnY9Q=w1920-h682-no

That is amazing work. I have seen 3 other completed Enterprise carrier's and yours is by far the best. The attention to detail is stunning. You really made the deck look new but used at the same time.

Dude, that thing is so rad! I wouldn't be able to ever finish something like that. As it is it takes me months to finish a simple 1/24 car assuming I even do that. I seem to only be able to finish hot wheels customs.

Here is my latest custom

hot wheels civic hatch said:
Original
LACon2014_0010.png

Custom
7yB3Mcr.jpg

CLKwJtF.jpg

WnXNQhl.jpg
Removed the tampos, added details and swapped the wheels for a "stance" look. Got this one done in a few days now that i'm starting to get less worried about messing up and just diving in. Also figured out how to use wire shrink tubing in replacement for rubber wheels to fit truck wheels onto the car chassis. Working at this scale is a lot of fun sometimes and a nightmare in others.

Leunam

Been a while since I've posted in this thread, but I've always stopped in and checked out all the updates. Lots and lots of killer work posted in here, love it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciated!

That is amazing work. I have seen 3 other completed Enterprise carrier's and yours is by far the best. The attention to detail is stunning. You really made the deck look new but used at the same time.

Thanks! Yes I wanted to make it look alive and as grungy as I realistically could at that scale. It would have been easy to overdo it, but I think I got the balance about right.

Here is my latest custom

Very cool, a vast improvement.

Top Bottom