• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

playing older games with a new GPU is one of the best things about PC gaming ☺️

buenoblue

So I upgraded from a 2070 super to a 4070ti 5 months ago (£599 and got £220 for my 2070super). And the first games I played were new games like Dragons Dogma 2 and Hellblade 2. Both games ran pretty well and I was impressed.

But lately I've been going through my library and replaying some older games and WOW it's been amazing. Seeing Control maxed out at 4k DDLS quality with all raytracing on is amazing!! Playing Cyberpunk with decent settings and raytracing is like a different game than my 2070 super. Even stuff like marvels avengers and Guardians of the galaxy look so good maxed out at 4k DLSS.

And going back even further I can now play all my library of like 600 games from the last 20 years at 4k max settings ☺️. And most of them at a locked 120fps with windows/Nvidia HDR, 65 inch oled and full Atmos setup ☺️

So what's been your favorite older game going back to after upgrading?

hinch7

Cyberpunk 2077 with Path tracing takes the cake. Absolutely stunning game visually, beautiful world and characters. Full raytracing and its implementation makes CP 2077 a generation apart from all other games I've played. It really does breathe life into Night City with much more realistic looking lighting. Can't wait until consoles finally catch up and we get to see more visuals like this; hopefully in the not so distant near future.

Ghost of Tsushima with Lossless Scaling FGx3 playing at 240hz, 1440P with DLAA. Never played the origional on PS4 and glad I waited. Amazing visuals and smoothness.

Last edited:
So I upgraded from a 2070 super to a 4070ti 5 months ago (£599 and got £220 for my 2070super). And the first games I played were new games like Dragons Dogma 2 and Hellblade 2. Both games ran pretty well and I was impressed.

But lately I've been going through my library and replaying some older games and WOW it's been amazing. Seeing Control maxed out at 4k DDLS quality with all raytracing on is amazing!! Playing Cyberpunk with decent settings and raytracing is like a different game than my 2070 super. Even stuff like marvels avengers and Guardians of the galaxy look so good maxed out at 4k DLSS.

And going back even further I can now play all my library of like 600 games from the last 20 years at 4k max settings ☺️. And most of them at a locked 120fps with windows/Nvidia HDR, 65 inch oled and full Atmos setup ☺️

Upgraded from a shitty laptop to a desktop gaming pc. Its been pretty great. I play the latest releases at 1080p with 120fps.

I just got an lg oled tv so it has been amazing gaming on it.

Though all i could afford at the time was a computer with a rtx 4060. It still has played any game i throw at it at 1440p or 1080p.

Its been about 10 years since i last had a gaming pc. So it's been fun going through my large steam library and playing all the humble choice games and whatnot. I tried going back to max payne as i remembered this really cool mod that turns everything into black and white stick figures.
But i couldn't get the game to load.

Someday i may get into 4k gaming. I'll have to get a new PSU and GPU. I am not knowledgeable about computer building.

I am moving close to a microcenter. So that will be great. They will help me upgrade my PC.

That's the beauty of PC gaming.

I inted to play BG3 at Ultra setting once I upgrade.
With the present rig I have, I played the game at medium settings with about 30 fps. Let's see how it looks at max settings.

Other than that I have some games on my PS3 roms that don't run at all currently. It would be nice to see if they run on a high end gaming rig.

Jesb

I been going through this with GFN myself. Just yesterday, I added Shadow of Tomb Raider to my library since it’s part of the prime lineup. I last played this on PS4 and this is night and day better. I’m getting 300FPS on 4K at max settings on everything. That’s an older game but still a stunner to me. Control is definitely another one that’s such a difference over last gen version.

I’m looking forward to trying out RE4 remake if Capcom can put that on GFN. All the remakes look better too so this is high on my list.

AzekZero

DLSS 3 and AMD Fluid Motion Frames have been godsends for classic games locked at 60 FPS.

It doesn't always work, but its amazing when it does.

Soodanim

When I got a new GPU years ago I replayed HL2 supersampled from 4k to 1080p at 120hz locked with ULMB/BFI on. Aside from brightness it was about as close to perfect IQ as you can get and the experience was sublime. It was so good that it even made me play the game differently - I did everything faster. I loved it.

I need more 120hz BFI gaming in my life.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Not exactly an "older" game, but it was FS2020. Just flew 1 hour around and was super impressed.

Back in the 90s my voodoo 3dfx did wonders to many games.

Doczu

Cyberpunk 2077 with Path tracing takes the cake. Absolutely stunning game visually, beautiful world and characters. Full raytracing and its implementation absolutely makes CP 2077 a generation apart from all other games I've played. It really does breathe life into Night City with much more realistic looking lighting. Can't wait until consoles finally catch up and we get to see more visuals like this; hopefully in the not so distant near future.
I think of Cyberpunk as the new Crysis regarding tech.
Same as with Crysis you can run the game on low end hardware (potato PC, PS4/XO) or make your PCMR build bleed. Future proofed.with great implementation of RT.

DAHGAMING

Same here, I love the 360/PS3 era games and you can just play them full settings high res. I hardly play games when there released anymore, im about 4-5 yrs behind, recently im playing Assassins Creed Oddessy and I can play it on a better system than I jad on release.

A PC paird with a handheld will be the way for me from now on mainly, I have had a Rog Ally X for about a month now and its great for backlog games and casual gaming when yoi cant be at the PC, can bust even alot of newer games aswell even if your ok to turn down setting/set to 30fps.

nkarafo

Well, yeah.

Especially if you have a high refresh rate monitor.

Playing older games at 240fps is game changing to me. Not only they feel even smoother than 60fps with minimal lag, the motion is also sharper, with very little LCD blur, almost as clean as a CRT.

LooseLips

Just to add - and I agree totally, OP - that a change in monitor did it for me. Saving up to relace my 3070, not in a major hurry to do that, and i will be costly. However, I realised my monitor was really, really old. Got a 32 inch Corsair to replace. Not OLED, but really good colour space. It's ~only~ HDR600 and 144Hz, but WOW. My PS5, PC and Series X games/dashboards...everything just really sings compared to what I was used to.

Best upgrade that applies to everything I've done since getting decent headphones.

Bojji

Pretty much every game is "hd remaster" in itself. Add mods, auto HDR/rtx HDR etc. It's amazing.

What's infuriating about PS5 is that there are tons of PS4 games that would just fly on this hardware but publishers and Sony are lazy so they remain 30fps locked.

Three

Pretty much every game is "hd remaster" in itself. Add mods, auto HDR/rtx HDR etc. It's amazing.

What's infuriating about PS5 is that there are tons of PS4 games that would just fly on this hardware but publishers and Sony are lazy so they remain 30fps locked.
Also you
The Last of Us 2 was build for 1.8TF machine from 2013, I woudn't use it as graphical showcase for my "most powerful console" in 2024 if I were Sony.
Make up your mind will you.

Bojji

Also you

Make up your mind will you.

TLoU2 is basically "HD remaster" on PS5, it uses higher resolution and framerate compared to base game and almost everything else is the same. This is true for PC games where 10 years later you can play the same game in 4k while before you couldn't achieve 1024x768. And usually you don't need any publisher intervention for this, you just change settings that were there 10 years ago.

Last of Us was patched by sony, vast majority of ps4 games will remain in their worst versions thanks to their (and pubs) laziness.

When they work that is.

I have many old games that won't work on my modern PC , unless you go through workaround which I'm simply not interested in.

Bojji

When they work that is.

I have many old games that won't work on my modern PC , unless you go through workaround which I'm simply not interested in.

Use

Answers 99% of questions and have fixes for almost everything as well.

Is it better to have solution that requires up to few minutes of ctrl+c, ctr+v from the user or don't have any solution at all other than paying for "hd remaster" (if there is any) like on consoles?

Garibaldi

Too true. I love maxing out older favourites and playing them rather than spending the first hour of a new game testing to figure out what settings I can afford to put.

Just being able to max out something like Arkham and enjoy a few hours of it is worth is every penny

kiphalfton

Relative to the graphics card I have/had, the games I play are always at least 4-5 years old at that point. As I never buy new PC games.

Always super smooth framerate (if no optimization issues).

So never really have a need to upgrade, but always have every generation from the 900 series to the 3000 series. Screw doing that with the 4000 series and likely 5000 series though.

Last edited:

Cryio

I currently have an RX 7900 XTX, R7 5800X3D, 32 GB and a 27" 1440p240 OLED monitor.

Playing older games in 4K120 is perfection.

Running in 4K120 Super Mario 3D World, tried Super Mario Wonder also (4K60 + LSFG x2 for 120 fps)

On PCSX2 I have Rayman 2 Revolution with an HD texture pack, 4K60 (+LSFG x2 for 120 fps) I finished the PS1 version when I was 5 years old. It's finally time to see the complete version of the game.

Started my first playthrough of Borderlands 3 with a friend. 1440p120 + LSFGx2 for 240 fps.

Playing Halo MCC in 3 player coop with some friends. Again, 4K240.

As for my main single player title for now: Hogwarts Legacy, 1440p120, maxed out, using XeSS Performance + FSR3 Frame Gen. I'm thinking about adding AFMF2 for going to 240 fps, lol.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Yeah I don't get why PS4 games can't run unlocked and at higher resbon ps5. PS4 and PS5 are just PCs really.

Obviously playing old games you bought years ago doesn't make Sony money 🤔

Bojji

Yeah I don't get why PS4 games can't run unlocked and at higher resbon ps5. PS4 and PS5 are just PCs really.

Obviously playing old games you bought years ago doesn't make Sony money 🤔

That's why they don't care about adding real (you use your disc and play) PS1/PS2/PS3 BC. With PS4 they can still sell relatively modern games on their store so still money +.

This rumored PS4 boost mode (only mentioned with PS5 Pro) could be interesting but we will see (I'm prepared to be disappointed). Hacked PS5 consoles showed us that Sony CAN unlock 30fps locked games on OS level.

hinch7

I think of Cyberpunk as the new Crysis regarding tech.
Same as with Crysis you can run the game on low end hardware (potato PC, PS4/XO) or make your PCMR build bleed. Future proofed.with great implementation of RT.
Yeah, amazing scalable tech. Shame they are moving to UE5 for their next Cyberpunk game.

Fyi I played originally on a 1070 lol. Not the best experience mind.. which is when playing the game on a significantly more powerful and modern GPU with great RT several years later. It blew my mind.

Last edited:
Yeah, the essentially endless backwards compatibility is a great benefit of PC. Many times modders will update the texture packages and things like that for older games as well, kind of like getting a remaster.

Bernardougf

Is this a Ps5pro stealth marketing thread ?

Zacfoldor

I’m glad for you, this just shows that a CPU upgrade isn’t necessary to get better frame rate. I thought that was pretty obvious, but the discussion around the pro lately makes me realize that many people don’t understand this.

Last edited:

grvg

I remember when doom 3 came out and the best gpus of the era (Nvidia gt 6800 iirc) couldn't play it at max settings. The game was future proof.

Now, any potato can run it at max settings. It's fun cranking up settings on old games like that and crysis.

Bojji

I’m glad for you, this just shows that a CPU upgrade isn’t necessary to get better frame rate. I thought that was pretty obvious, but the discussion around the pro lately makes me realize that many people don’t understand this.

It is if you are CPU limited. OP didn't mention his CPU if I'm not mistaken.

Changing CPU can get you massive boost, I used 2600k until 2019 and was blown away when changed it to Ryzen 3600. Then 5600X (2020) and last year to 5800X3D.

Using CPU on PS5 level (Ryzen 2700/3600) can be really painful in 2024, you can forget about framerate any higher than 60fps in modern games and even that won't be achieved 100% of the time (Starfield for example).

Bojji

Re-playing older games is a waste of time, no matter with new or old GPU.

I think that way sometimes but it didn't stop me from replaying Mass Effect like... 8 times. There are still many older games to play for the first time!

It seems it will be the best thing about the PS5 Pro.

Only in games that will be allowed to use power increase. Otherwise Bloodborne will still be 1080p/30fps.

I only really like to upgrade when certain new games come out that I want to play at higher fidelity/frame rate.
I did it for Witcher 3 with a 980ti and then Cyberpunk 2077 with a 2080. I ended up hating both games, but that was a nice jump that I really needed at the time anyway.

In the past 4 years there hasn't been a single new release that made me feel pressured to upgrade, none that I really care about playing right away really. I have a 1440 gsync monitor and that has worked out best for me, never felt the need to jump to 4k. Feels completely unnecessary when playing on a screen smaller than 40 inches.

Point is, new games are the reason for me to upgrade. I might have to finally do it next year for Monster Hunter Wilds.

Wait until you discover playing new games on older GPUs OP, even better imho. It's crazy how capable old GPUs often times are, some people enjoy the tweaking of game settings to get the most performance out of their machine.

I personally find squeezing out the most performance out of the cheapest/oldest components possible far more exciting / fun than just throwing money at a new high end system.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The good thing about the fact that I don't care about AAA gaming after 2016 means that my 2060 Super is a 4K/60 beast for 95% of the games I care about

Top Bottom