• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

playing older games with a new GPU is one of the best things about PC gaming ☺️

AngelMuffin

I think that way sometimes but it didn't stop me from replaying Mass Effect like... 8 times. There are still many older games to play for the first time!

Only in games that will be allowed to use power increase. Otherwise Bloodborne will still be 1080p/30fps.
It baffles me why they can’t do what Microsoft did with their “FPS boost” initiative.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, being able to play any game at 4K and maxed out is great, specially old games that look like they just got a remaster.

Emulation is also great, specially for the PS3/360 era gen. Seeing games like Demon's Souls or Asura's Wrath at 4K/60fps is amazing.

Bojji

It baffles me why they can’t do what Microsoft did with their “FPS boost” initiative.

It won't work with Bloodborne because it needs to be patched.

If modders can do it they can do it with their OWN CODE as well, on OS level. They just don't want to.

Look at this, and this list/video ~1 year old.

vLXUG6g.jpeg

It baffles me that all this power of PS5 is completely left on the table and we are stuck with slide show games.

FPS boost is just in few games so MS dropped the ball as well, when I had SX I was very underwhelmed.

Last edited:

Goalus

I don't need a PC for that.
Playing Kameo, Gears 3 or even Gears 5 on my Series X is exactly what you're describing.

Bojji

Playing Kameo, Gears 3 or even Gears 5 on my Series X is exactly what you're describing.

First you have:

- only some limited BC on series X (100% with Xbox one but probably less than 50% with X360, few games from Xbox 1)

Second:

- out of this limited selection of games only some of them support things like fps boost or higher resolution (or both)

It's super limited and not comparable to what you get on PC.

Vick

Gold Member
Yes, it is. Priceless.

Mirror's Edge,Deus Ex HR,Alien isolation and others are amazing at 4k maxed out when i changed the gpu.
Alien: Isolation Alias Isolation Mod is also mandatory and entirely transformative, makes the game look legit immortal.

Totally exclusive to PC.. and to a very small extent Switch, ironically.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Xbox Enhanced BC is great, but it only impacts a small fraction of titles.

With PC, each and every game will take advantage of your hardware, and you're only limited by the speed of your hardware, not arbitrary resolutions/framerates that are decided by the platform holder.

buenoblue

I only really like to upgrade when certain new games come out that I want to play at higher fidelity/frame rate.
I did it for Witcher 3 with a 980ti and then Cyberpunk 2077 with a 2080. I ended up hating both games, but that was a nice jump that I really needed at the time anyway.

In the past 4 years there hasn't been a single new release that made me feel pressured to upgrade, none that I really care about playing right away really. I have a 1440 gsync monitor and that has worked out best for me, never felt the need to jump to 4k. Feels completely unnecessary when playing on a screen smaller than 40 inches.

Point is, new games are the reason for me to upgrade. I might have to finally do it next year for Monster Hunter Wilds.
Yeah I'm not a serial upgrader either. I had a 780ti in 2013 all the way to 2019 when I got a 2070 super. Now 5 years on a 4070ti.

£599 for the 4070ti when the 4070ti super came out. After Selling my old card only cost me £380, which is a bargain in this day and age☺️.

I was a little worried as the 4070ti was reviewed and regarded pretty poorly but frankly the performance upgrade has been astonishing for me. More than doubling my fps at native 4k, but adding on frame gen and DLSS the card flies.

Bombolone

Gold Member
You are replaying every game you own with each new gpu?
I have never prioritized having the latest and greatest gpu, so when I do upgrade my gpu, I do go back and play many old games that ran sub 60, 30 fps.
Or even max out the settings to see the game in all its glory (frames per second aside)
Now I don’t play ‘all’ my games but they are ‘all’ available to me.

Prey
Bioshocks
Dooms
Quakes
Stalker
Half-Life
Witchers
Cyberpunk
Etc.

All the graphics mods, texture packs..

DLDSR is a boon for older games, with a 3090 it's even useable on more recent stuff like last gen games and current stuff when coupled with DLSS. Bioshock 2 Remastered recently had such a crisp image quality with 2.2x DLDSR at 120fps which looked awesome on my TV.

Last edited:
So I upgraded from a 2070 super to a 4070ti 5 months ago (£599 and got £220 for my 2070super). And the first games I played were new games like Dragons Dogma 2 and Hellblade 2. Both games ran pretty well and I was impressed.

But lately I've been going through my library and replaying some older games and WOW it's been amazing. Seeing Control maxed out at 4k DDLS quality with all raytracing on is amazing!! Playing Cyberpunk with decent settings and raytracing is like a different game than my 2070 super. Even stuff like marvels avengers and Guardians of the galaxy look so good maxed out at 4k DLSS.

And going back even further I can now play all my library of like 600 games from the last 20 years at 4k max settings ☺️. And most of them at a locked 120fps with windows/Nvidia HDR, 65 inch oled and full Atmos setup ☺️

So what's been your favorite older game going back to after upgrading?
Y’all got it made it today. Back in 2005 for me, adding another stick of memory so I can use the damn auction house and guild bank inside Ironforge in WoW on the Alleria US server, the server was getting dumb crowded.

Bitstream

The thing that strikes me the most is just how well many of these games hold up when cranked to max settings. I played Doom 2016 a few months back and was pretty impressed with some of their volumetric lighting effects, and its lighting in general.

DarkK86

Neo Member
I've always been a console and PC gamer, but my PC was stuck in the past for a very long time with a GTX-660 and an i5-4440.

Recently, I upgraded to an RTX-4080 and 7800X3D, and it's been a total blast revisiting some of my favorite games from the PS4 and PS3 generations with a fresh coat of paint (4K at 120Hz and 3440x1440 at 175Hz).

The jump from 30fps/1080p alone makes it worth replaying some older games!

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Dude, my friend, I've similarly just upgraded. 2060 12GB to a 4070 Ti Super. Right now I'm playing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, and it's blowing my mind. Raytracing's incredible. It's been so long since a game's visuals blew me away.

Man, miss those days!
They don’t know what it’s like to have the Death And Taxes guild all grouped in Stormwind freezing up your PC on the US Korgath server.

Alt-tab’n’ to get on Google video or Youtube was also a luxury back then.

Last edited:

Wolzard

Neo Member
A few years ago I decided to live in the past, as it has more advantages:

- Spending on GPU is lower, as an average one can already push 4K graphics at maximum, above 60 fps;
- Much cheaper games;
- Bugs fixed and DLCs included.

A new game is one you've never played. Gone are the days when I worried about launches, the hype of the moment. Now I just want to play.

So I upgraded from a 2070 super to a 4070ti 5 months ago (£599 and got £220 for my 2070super). And the first games I played were new games like Dragons Dogma 2 and Hellblade 2. Both games ran pretty well and I was impressed.

But lately I've been going through my library and replaying some older games and WOW it's been amazing. Seeing Control maxed out at 4k DDLS quality with all raytracing on is amazing!! Playing Cyberpunk with decent settings and raytracing is like a different game than my 2070 super. Even stuff like marvels avengers and Guardians of the galaxy look so good maxed out at 4k DLSS.

And going back even further I can now play all my library of like 600 games from the last 20 years at 4k max settings ☺️. And most of them at a locked 120fps with windows/Nvidia HDR, 65 inch oled and full Atmos setup ☺️

So what's been your favorite older game going back to after upgrading?
Bro, when you said older I thought you'd mean like you know older games and not games less then 5 years old.

Wait until you discover playing new games on older GPUs OP, even better imho. It's crazy how capable old GPUs often times are, some people enjoy the tweaking of game settings to get the most performance out of their machine.

I personally find squeezing out the most performance out of the cheapest/oldest components possible far more exciting / fun than just throwing money at a new high end system.
This is far more interesting to me then just throwing brute power at something.

Three

TLoU2 is basically "HD remaster" on PS5, it uses higher resolution and framerate compared to base game and almost everything else is the same.

Not true but even then it went from 30fps on base PS4 to 4k60fps on PS5 pro. I'm talking more about you making up your mind on what you want. You're both peeved that they showed that improvement in the game with new hardware AND lambasting them when they dont improve PS4 games too.

Last edited:
I've played Cyberpunk 3 more times since I've upgraded my gpu 2 years ago. Safe to say its my most replayed game of all times and one of my favorite game of all time. The level design and the atmosphere is just unmatched and I love it. This game will age just like Deus Ex did, another franchise I always replay. Maybe someday in 10 years Ill go back to it and play it at native resolution maxed out fully, no DLSS, nothing, just pure perfection.

Last edited:

Bojji

Not true but even then it went from 30fps on base PS4 to 4k60fps on PS5 pro. I'm talking more about you making up your mind on what you want. You're both peeved that they showed that improvement in the game with new hardware AND lambasting them when they dont improve PS4 games too.

It's GOOD that they are upgrading old games, they should do that to all of them.

My comments were about new console showcase. You show your bestest, most powerful and expensive console ever and you bring fucking PS4 game from 2020 to show its power and not some new game with RT (or on UE5)? Fucking laughable.

buenoblue

Bro, when you said older I thought you'd mean like you know older games and not games less then 5 years old.

Err ok I guess you totally don't read my posts 😂.

My whole thread post was about going back to older games you couldn't run great, but I could already do that on my 2070 super with games from like 2015 and before.

Why does this annoy you so much 😂😂

Last edited:

Three

It's GOOD that they are upgrading old games, they should do that to all of them.

My comments were about new console showcase. You show your bestest, most powerful and expensive console ever and you bring fucking PS4 game from 2020 to show its power and not some new game with RT (or on UE5)? Fucking laughable.
There were more new games from PS5 gen than old games shown. It was just showing PS4 games getting upgrades too.

AFBT88

Neo Member
Yeah, totally agree with you. Playing Crysis 2 and 3 maxed out right now. At high res and fps these games are GOOD!

lachesis

Haha, after reading this thread - I tried to run Metal Gear Rising on my 7800x3d + 4080 Super... on my 144hz IPS 4k monitor to see how it fares..
- only to find out that I'm stuck at 1920x1080 max resolution on full screen + 25(4) hz.
Probably would need to find some way or patch, but not sure what to do.

Not everything is perfect with old games - but good thing about PC is that there so much communal support among users coming up with answers and patches etc.
As I am trying to consolidate my gaming mostly on PC from almost exclusive console gamer - I should really get used to this. Hope I can.

buenoblue

Haha, after reading this thread - I tried to run Metal Gear Rising on my 7800x3d + 4080 Super... on my 144hz IPS 4k monitor to see how it fares..
- only to find out that I'm stuck at 1920x1080 max resolution on full screen + 25(4) hz.

Not everything is perfect with old games - but good thing about PC is that there so much communal support among users coming up with answers and patches etc.
As I am trying to consolidate my gaming mostly on PC from almost exclusive console gamer - I should really get used to this. Hope I can.
That's the worst thing about PC gaming, having to fiddle with games to get them working how you want 😂.

Maybe I should make another thread 🤔

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

That problem with MGR is very common. Check out it's entry on pcgamingwiki, it's an easy fix.

Bojji

The only resolutions available are 800x600, 1280x720, 1366x768, 1680x1050, and 1920x1080. Aspect ratios other than 16:9 are anamorphic.

Set custom resolution[9]
  1. Download MGROverride.
  2. Type the desired resolution and click Patch.
  3. Close the tool.
  4. Set the resolution to 800x600 in the game options to enable custom resolution.
Notes

It is not necessary to run the tool again, unless you want to remove the patch or change to another resolution.

May cause minor graphical glitches, especially with the HUD.

May be impossible to use the left stick for QTEs.

You must manually set the resolution to 800x600 each time you run the game.
This is because the game tries to detect the correct resolution for the monitor at startup.

That's the worst thing about PC gaming, having to fiddle with games to get them working how you want 😂.

Maybe I should make another thread 🤔

But at least options are there if you want them, on consoles you are out of luck if your old game is not supported by new hardware with no/limited BC.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is a feel good thread.

I agree. The nostalgic feeling I get over PC and similar discussions is like a good trip down memory lane. Then you remember that with PC, you have pretty much complete backwards compatible legacy support and amazing community support to go along with that. It's a little work at times but this is the beauty of PC (some would complain, not I!).

It's like the good old Delta Force, Operation Flashpoint 128p online, or early sessions on Mumble/ Teamspeak, or vent.

Mortisfacio

I've got a 4090 so I can play CyberPunk at mostly 60fps with pathtracing, but it's after DLSS 3 frame gen. I'll be excited to be able to circle back to a game like that with no AI upscaling at max settings.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
True. I don't think console fans understand how it is to just replace the parts that you want. They just...rebuy everything.

This is why PC is cheaper

lmimmfn

Pcgamingwiki is your friend, for not just old games but newer ones also.
Says MGR has a 59FPS frame cap but can be modded to 59FPS for cut scenes and also the resolution is configurable.

*EDIT* Sorry, just seen same was posted previously.

Last edited:

lachesis

Pcgamingwiki is your friend, for not just old games but newer ones also.
Says MGR has a 59FPS frame cap but can be modded to 59FPS for cut scenes and also the resolution is configurable.

Applied the fixes and also changed the resolution to 4k. :)
Still at full screen mode, it's running at 25fps, but seems to be working okay with windows mode. Menu has some flickering issues, but so far so good.

Found another work around (found via Steam Community) to fix that full screen 25fps issue... I can run external program called ForceFix in the background - and now the game play at 4k full screen is pretty much locked at 60fps. But somehow, the cut scenes are like 80-90fps for whatever reason.

Never knew about PCGamingWiki - but thanks to you all, found a good site. :D All the installation guide seemed overwhelming, but once I just sat down and start reading how to do it, it made sense!

(Got my ass handed to that red-sword samurai on top of the train. It's my first playing, and oh boy. MGR is like Ninja Gaiden on offensive overdrive! Just how like it. Wish there was some z-lock feature for 1 on 1 fighting, unless I'm mistaken...)

MAX PAYMENT

Oh absolutely. It doesn't always have the best results. But I like adding ray traced global illumination to games with reshade.

Top Bottom