• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing PAL games on Live with an NTSC Xbox -- anyone?

Socreges

Banned
I know it's possible, through certain means.

But does anyone know if the lag is generally bad at all? Any other complications that you wouldn't normally suspect?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wait, how can you play games from a different region on an unmodded xbox?

Socreges

Banned
The gist:

"Need a modded Xbox, use configmagic to change region to PAL, then switch-off the modchip so you can play on Live."

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh I see. Why would lag be bad? Isn't lag going to be entirely dependant on your connection and where you are? Thats how I explain the enormous raping burnout is currently giving me.

Stryder

Well, if you live in an NTSC territory and you're going to be playing a PAL game, chances are those around you are going to be playing NTSC versions of the game (which I think, for most games don't play with PAL versions), so it will be searching for games in PAL territories to join (overseas in most cases).

Socreges

Banned
The implications of me playing a PAL game on Live, while in an NTSC region, is that the game isn't available here and I will be playing people across the Atlantic. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Apparently it can be done. What I'm wondering is if the huge distance between each player would make for a disastrous connection.

thorns

Banned
Stryder said:
Well, if you live in an NTSC territory and you're going to be playing a PAL game, chances are those around you are going to be playing NTSC versions of the game (which I think, for most games don't play with PAL versions), so it will be searching for games in PAL territories to join (overseas in most cases).

The only game that doesn't have PAL/NTSC compatibility is Burnout 3, which is more due to the substandard online programming quality of EA than anything.

Stryder

thorns said:
The only game that doesn't have PAL/NTSC compatibility is Burnout 3, which is more due to the substandard online programming quality of EA than anything.
Oh ok, when I heard about this I thought it was a common thing, this and I remember when I was trying to play Halo across tunnelling software when I first got my xbox I remembered I couldn't play against NTSC users.

Top Bottom