• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

plainr_

If Tomba and Abe makes it in, I'll buy another copy of PSASBR (for Vita). You heard that right Superbot. :p

Bought the game on a wrong account anyway. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Ryce

I'm genuinely perplexed at who SuperBot are choosing for the next batch of DLC. For every candidate I think of, I quickly come up with a reason why they won't be included. I mean, right now Wander seems like the most obvious inclusion, but if Team ICO are really that against the idea of him appearing in a brawler then I guess it's not happening.

Never rule out the power of persuasion though.
Team Ico, Polyphony Digital, and thatgamecompany strike me as overly serious/pretentious "our games are art" studios who don't want their creations featured in a silly mascot fighter. Even with DLC, we'll never see characters/stages from Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo, or Journey.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm genuinely perplexed at who SuperBot are choosing for the next batch of DLC. For every candidate I think of, I quickly come up with a reason why they won't be included. I mean, right now Wander seems like the most obvious inclusion, but if Team ICO are really that against the idea of him appearing in a brawler then I guess it's not happening.

Never rule out the power of persuasion though.

They shouldn't even have a input since that their last game has been released ages ago.

Team Ico, Polyphony Digital, and thatgamecompany strike me as overly serious/pretentious "our games are art" studios who don't want their creations featured in a silly mascot fighter. Even with DLC, we'll never see characters/stages from Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo, or Journey.

Representing GT would probably be licencing hell tho. Or is there something SB could use that Sony owns? I dunno I am not that well versed in the franchise.

Well I guess you could have generic cars that don't exist with a race track that doesn't exist...

Ryce

Resistance is the only franchise in the game with a stage, icons, and backgrounds but no playable character. SuperBot clearly realizes that this is a major franchise, but they don't think it has any characters worth being made playable. I've said it before, but I'm confident DLC isn't going to change anything. SuperBot already made a conscious decision long ago that Resistance is best suited without a character.

I'd be very surprised if any of the DLC characters didn't meet one of the following criteria:

• Characters too new to have made the on-disc cutoff like Kat and Emmett (Tokyo Jungle's Pomeranian, Joel and Ellie from The Last of Us, etc.)
  • Classic fan favorite PSX characters in the vein of PaRappa and Sir Dan that SuperBot didn't have time to include on the disc (Dart, Robbit, etc.)
  • Characters from major series already represented (God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc.)
  • Third-party characters promoting recent or upcoming games (Connor, Lightning, Ryu Hayabusa, Isaac Clarke, etc.)
Games from the PS2/early PS3 era like Primal, The Mark of Kri, and Folklore are in the unfortunate position of being too new to be considered "retro" and too old to be considered relevant. The only shot these characters had were at being on the disc roster.

I'll probably get flak for saying this, but I actually think that of the four groups listed above, retro characters have the lowest odds of being made DLC. They'll always take a backseat to promotional characters both first-party and third. There are also "politics" to consider.

Camjo-Z

I also have low hopes for retro DLC characters, even though a Dart/Robbit pack would make this my Game of the Forever it's much more likely that Sony would want to use newer characters.

Speaking of which, wouldn't Kutaro from Puppeteer and Iota from Tearaway make for some cool character selections? They would certainly fit right in alongside cute characters like PaRappa and Toro:

Puppeteer-hands-on.jpg

We haven't really seen enough gameplay of Tearaway to know what Iota can really do, but Kutaro's magic scissors and Dynamite Headdy-style head swapping gimmick would certainly make for an interesting moveset.

SSReborn

I also have low hopes for retro DLC characters, even though a Dart/Robbit pack would make this my Game of the Forever it's much more likely that Sony would want to use newer characters.

Speaking of which, wouldn't Kutaro from Puppeteer and Iota from Tearaway make for some cool character selections? They would certainly fit right in alongside cute characters like PaRappa and Toro:

Puppeteer-hands-on.jpg

We haven't really seen enough gameplay of Tearaway to know what Iota can really do, but Kutaro's magic scissors and Dynamite Headdy-style head swapping gimmick would certainly make for an interesting moveset.

I personally wouldn't want to see them until their game comes out because I feel like they would be very limited in the moves they can do as not to spoil things for their games that are currently unreleased. For a sequel though, definitely, I'm hoping to see both characters in a potential one.

Sony needs to just boss up and put Wander in the game. Who cares if Team Ico gets mad? They'll get over it. Hell it's not like it changes the perception of a Team Ico game. Their pompousness is making me sick.

Hell why don't Sony just add anyone they can from their first party stable?? The DLC's are basically free anyway so it's not like they are going to be losing money. I wouldn't be surprised if next week they add Dan and Omar Kendall themselves into the game.

Can't wait for Kat XD !

Right now i just want more stages and match types.

sn00zer

Sony needs to just boss up and put Wander in the game. Who cares if Team Ico gets mad? They'll get over it. Hell it's not like it changes the perception of a Team Ico game. Their pompousness is making me sick.
Wander would be a terrible charcter....very boring moveset....now a colossus stage on the other hand

Wander would be a terrible charcter....very boring moveset....now a colossus stage on the other hand

No he wouldn't be. If you count the Time Attack weapons and items (Thunder Harpoon, Cloak of Vanishing, Explosive Arrows, etc.), his Agro skills and the Colossi themselves, I could come up with enough moves to fill two movesets.

PowderedToast

No he wouldn't be. If you count the Time Attack weapons and items (Thunder Harpoon, Cloak of Vanishing, Explosive Arrows, etc.), his Agro skills and the Colossi themselves, I could come up with enough moves to fill two movesets.

yeah you could do loads of fun stuff. hang on bird, call agro to come stomp people, shine sword in their faces

wander wud rule

J-Tier

I wanna see Wander in PSASBR because his aesthetic is so different. Like I'm trying to imagine him popping in after "Here come a new challenger!"

Camjo-Z

New patch out :O

Raiden
-Changed reaction on forward throw from crumple to flatten.
Nathan Drake
-Increased start up on Cover Wall
Kratos
-Combat Grapple recovery time on block and whiff increased.
-Combat Grapple homing angle has been decreased
General
-Network stability improvements
-2v2 match summary disconnect fix
-AP orbs nots always awarded online fix
-Store button added to main menu
-Removed ability to chain Blind Fire to Run and Gun Retreat to eliminate inescapable online loop.
-Fix to ensure all players will be awarded proper titles at the end of a season
-Fixed belt display on the quick match loading screen

HELL yes on the Raiden nerf, his grab should have never been a crumple.

Raiden
Nathan Drake
Kratos
General
-Removed ability to chain Blind Fire to Run and Gun Retreat to eliminate inescapable online loop.

NOT ENOUGH!

Seriously, where is Kratos' AP gain nerf? Why does Raiden still have 5 hit confirms? Why didn't Jak or Spike get buffed?

It's a good start, but the upper echelons of the online mode will still be dominated by three characters.

KalBalboa

Banned

Raiden
Nathan Drake
Kratos
General

Lots of good changes! Kratos has become pretty beatable these days, but this'll help ensure more characters are seen online.

Camjo-Z

NOT ENOUGH!

Seriously, where is Kratos' AP gain nerf? Why does Raiden still have 5 hit confirms? Why didn't Jak or Spike get buffed?

It's a good start, but the upper echelons of the online mode will still be dominated by three characters.

Personally I'm wondering where the Sly nerfs are, but this patch seems designed to mainly to fix a few overall bugs, get rid of the Raiden/Drake infinites, and quell some of the complaints over Kratos' forward square. I think the next patch we see will bring more significant balance changes.

Personally I'm wondering where the Sly nerfs are, but this patch seems designed to mainly to fix a few overall bugs, get rid of the Raiden/Drake infinites, and quell some of the complaints over Kratos' forward square. I think the next patch we see will bring more significant balance changes.

I certainly hope so.

#entitleddirtbag

Camjo-Z

Um... wow. Literally not even a minute after installing the patch, I found a very obvious and noticeable bug. Started up the Vita version, the menu music plays normally until the "BATTLE ROYALE!!" part, and then cuts out completely. Didn't happen on the PS3 version though. Anyone else getting this bug?

sn00zer

Um... wow. Literally not even a minute after installing the patch, I found a very obvious and noticeable bug. Started up the Vita version, the menu music plays normally until the "BATTLE ROYALE!!" part, and then cuts out completely. Didn't happen on the PS3 version though. Anyone else getting this bug?

Haha yep me too

OmegaZero

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Sly nerf.
And the Ryu Hayabusa DLC.

Great job though.
The removal of the Drake and Raiden online loops can only mean good things.

KalBalboa

Banned
Played a few rounds and only saw one Kratos and no Raidens. Dante seems popular now, which makes sense. Patch was 279 on Vita, but I have that menu audio glitch someone else mentioned.

TheMink

Raiden
Nathan Drake
Kratos
General

Oh nice, cant wait to try it

TheMink

NOT ENOUGH!

I know people want this, but thats probably the most difficult order to fill out of all the the other ones. And if its coming, it will probably be last.

Its not just a simple matter of "oh just drop everything by five or ten" because combos are dependent on the AP gained by the attack. If they drop the AP requirement, they'd have to rework the combos.

Not impossible by any means, but its just not as simple as it seems.

As im saying this im thinking of a certain kratos combo that would normally grant you the threshold but doesnt for some reason becuase some the attacks grant you less than normal after a certain move. So if they made that one work normally it would probably get you the threshold even if they dropped the AP gain....

same here on Vita.

SmithnCo

Okay, nice to see Kratos' chain grab get a big nerf. As with Raiden's throw. Though they will still probably dominate for other reasons.

ascii42

Representing GT would probably be licencing hell tho. Or is there something SB could use that Sony owns? I dunno I am not that well versed in the franchise.

Well I guess you could have generic cars that don't exist with a race track that doesn't exist...

Gran Turismo does have original tracks, I suppose.

Just got into this game a bit after watching the grand finals at SCR.

Does anyone have a tier list (what they think)? I don't really have a character yet.

Just got into this game a bit after watching the grand finals at SCR.

Does anyone have a tier list (what they think)? I don't really have a character yet.

After the fresh patch something like this:

Vague Top:
Kratos, Raiden, Parappa, Sly, Ratchet, Fat Princess

Mid high:
Drake, G Cole, E Cole, Radec

Mid:
Dante?, Big Daddy, Heihachi, Sweet Tooth

Mid low:
Toro, Jak, Spike, Dante?

Low:
Sir Dan, Sackboy

Debateable of course. Some are leaning towards Jak being better than people give him credit for. Dante has many things that keep him down but after the discovery of empthy cancel I can see him being better. Honestly I have almost no experience with Dante so don't take my word for it.

Sackboy is another hard one for me. He was very good before but was nerfed. People still play him as before trying to build to lvl 3 wich is way harder nowdays so I dunno if people are just playing him wrong most of the time.

Drencrom

Raiden
Nathan Drake
Kratos
General

Nice!

J-Tier

Sackboy can't possibly be low tier. He's got more tools than just cake and jam, and cake is still useful.

Also, the winning team at SCR had a Sackboy. He's not high tier, but he's nowhere near low. He's very stage dependent (as are most characters) and is dominant on smaller stages where his level 2 is nigh impossible to dodge.

TheMink

After the fresh patch something like this:

Vague Top:
Kratos, Raiden, Parappa, Sly, Ratchet, Fat Princess

Mid high:
Drake, G Cole, E Cole, Radec

Mid:
Dante?, Big Daddy, Heihachi, Sweet Tooth

Mid low:
Toro, Jak, Spike, Dante?

Low:
Sir Dan, Sackboy

Debateable of course. Some are leaning towards Jak being better than people give him credit for. Dante has many things that keep him down but after the discovery of empthy cancel I can see him being better. Honestly I have almost no experience with Dante so don't take my word for it.

Sackboy is another hard one for me. He was very good before but was nerfed. People still play him as before trying to build to lvl 3 wich is way harder nowdays so I dunno if people are just playing him wrong most of the time.

Dante is high or top imo.

Only if you can do the empty cancel though.

Dante is high or top imo.

Only if you can do the empty cancel though.

That is the thing tho. Nobody does it. I dunno how hard it is. Dante also has maybe a little too much vulnerability after starting his combos.

Sackboy can't possibly be low tier. He's got more tools than just cake and jam, and cake is still useful.

Quite so. It is just as I commented that he is hard for me to say anything on. People play him as they did pre nerf and it doesn't work anymore unless you get a lot of hits.

Apparently his lvl 1 properties are randomized depending on the costume so it can screw up hitconfirms so that is a big blow on him also.

Top Bottom