• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2016

Clive

But I can't say I've ever even heard of this particular God of War game, let alone heard people waxing poetic about how great it is and how worth it it is to play despite being an older game on an older system.

91 on Metacritic based on 79 reviews and one of the PSP's flagship titles.

Good PSP games > bad Vita games. They're not gonna offer us top Vita titles at this point. Trophies are so 2008.

RK128

Good PSP games > bad Vita games. They're not gonna offer us top Vita titles at this point. Trophies are so 2008.

Agree; if we aren't getting big Vita games, then at least we are going to get amazing PSP ones :). And I don't really care about trophies either, so don't mind getting PSP games.

Ventara

Honestly, I wouldn't necessarily object to getting some PS1 or PS2 classics, but that's contingent on them being actual classics. I wouldn't have any problem with Final Fantasy IX or Persona 3 showing up on IGC, even though I own and have beaten both multiple times (though I would obviously prefer games I haven't already played). But I can't say I've ever even heard of this particular God of War game, let alone heard people waxing poetic about how great it is and how worth it it is to play despite being an older game on an older system.

This game is one of the best PSP games, and actually has a good story (for a GoW game).

I agree with Clive that a good PSP game would be more desirable than a bad Vita game. Of course, I don't know what game we would've gotten if we didn't get Ghost of Sparta, but I wouldn't dismiss it as it's better than a lot of the Vita offerings we've gotten in the past by a large margin.

On a side note, I already have a digital copy of this came, so I wish it was something else. ;P

If I only have a monitor without a audio card, is there any way I can get sound of my PSTV? I would like to be able to use it on a monitor. :(

I have external speakers of course. Would a USB to AUX solution work?

Bluetooth, or HDMI - not any other options really.

That's great, but what about the 82 million people who had a PSP and played the game there? There are 10 million PSVita owners, you think they're all new to the idea of portables? Unlikely.

Ventara

That's great, but what about the 82 million people who had a PSP and played the game there? There are 10 million PSVita owners, you think they're all new to the idea of portables? Unlikely.

You can make the same argument for Vita offerings with what about people who have already bought and played the game. And from what TokatsuAddict just posted, there seems to be people who've never heard or played of this game. Vita is the first portable for a lot of people. Oh, and there's no way 82 million people played Ghost of Sparta. We would've gotten so much more Sony support if it did. :(

ryseing

Honestly, I wouldn't necessarily object to getting some PS1 or PS2 classics, but that's contingent on them being actual classics. I wouldn't have any problem with Final Fantasy IX or Persona 3 showing up on IGC, even though I own and have beaten both multiple times (though I would obviously prefer games I haven't already played). But I can't say I've ever even heard of this particular God of War game, let alone heard people waxing poetic about how great it is and how worth it it is to play despite being an older game on an older system.

Adding to the GoS praise. The game is excellent and has a ton of replay value. Definitely fits into your classic category.

Clive

10 million Vita owners can have potentially played any Vita game.
10 million Vita owners can potentially have played any PSP game.
Why bring 82 million into this?

If anything, there are surely some PSP owners out there without a Vita who will get to play PSP games on PS+ so your 82 million number just speaks against your case.

Saphirax

This game is one of the best PSP games, and actually has a good story (for a GoW game).

I agree with Clive that a good PSP game would be more desirable than a bad Vita game. Of course, I don't know what game we would've gotten if we didn't get Ghost of Sparta, but I wouldn't dismiss it as it's better than a lot of the Vita offerings we've gotten in the past by a large margin.

On a side note, I already have a digital copy of this came, so I wish it was something else. ;P

How insufferable is Kratos in the game? I got soured on the GoW franchise simply because I cannot stand him.

Ventara

How insufferable is Kratos in the game? I got soured on the GoW franchise simply because I cannot stand him.

The game is set between 1 and 2 timeline-wise, and explores a bit of his childhood and his thirst for revenge. You also get to see a few different sides of him. Having said that, if you hated Kratos in 1-3, I doubt this will change your opinion.

10 million Vita owners can have potentially played any Vita game.
10 million Vita owners can potentially have played any PSP game.
Why bring 82 million into this?

If anything, there are surely some PSP owners out there without a Vita who will get to play PSP games on PS+ so your 82 million number just speaks against your case.

You don't give Plus games to systems that're no longer supported, and 82 million speaks to the userbase who must've played this "fantastic" game as it was just so fucking fantastic apparently.

I wouldn't have pulled out 82 million if this was Joebob's indie game about his life as it wouldn't have made sense, but if the game's a 91 metacritic and a stand out title on the system then surely the people who actually wanted to play it got a fair chance and a fair warning.

You could easily make the argument you're making for anything that was once considered good, and as such I think they should put NHL 2001 as next month's PS3 Plus title as that was once considered an amazing game with a great metacritic score too.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/nhl-2001

Fair? Not really.

Adding to the GoS praise. The game is excellent and has a ton of replay value. Definitely fits into your classic category.

Fair enough, guess I just missed hearing about it. Though I have to ask, is it still as "edgy" as the first game? I lost interest in the first one pretty quickly between the gore, the interactive sex scene, and the murdering civilians for health. The basic fighting gameplay was fun, but not fun enough to make up for the immature feeling of the game. Same reason I've never been able to get into Binding of Isaac.

Saphirax

The game is set between 1 and 2 timeline-wise, and explores a bit of his childhood and his thirst for revenge. You also get to see a few different sides of him. Having said that, if you hated Kratos in 1-3, I doubt this will change your opinion.

Eh, may still give it a go though. Just to see how it is.

RK128

You don't give Plus games to systems that're no longer supported, and 82 million speaks to the userbase who must've played this "fantastic" game as it was just so fucking fantastic apparently.

I wouldn't have pulled out 82 million if this was Joebob's indie game about his life as it wouldn't have made sense, but if the game's a 91 metacritic and a stand out title on the system then surely the people who actually wanted to play it got a fair chance and a fair warning.

You could easily make the argument you're making for anything that was once considered good, and as such I think they should put NHL 2001 as next month's PS3 Plus title as that was once considered an amazing game with a great metacritic score too.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/nhl-2001

Fair? Not really.

You know what? Would be open to that PS1 NHL game honestly :).

I mean, you joke but a great game is still a great game, old or new. I would love Legends 2 to be a Plus game for Vita owners in the future as it would give the game a ton of exposure and help the game reach even more hands.

PS1 and PSP games can be nice additions PS+ if not done frequently and while I'm sorry you got annoyed with a PSP game being one of the Vita games, it is nice that the PSP game is a fantastic one.

And it really is a great game, so if you never played it before, consider giving it a shot :D! Runs well on Vita and the PS3 version is even better (60FPS).

I say this as someone who never got the PSP, so I'm likely wrong thinking this way but very open to PSP and PS1 games filling the Vita PS+ slot honestly :). I love indie games but it would be nice for them to be mixed up with a fun classic every now and then.

Edit: Wow, this topic is the first time I posted a lot in the PSN thread this month XD!

ryseing

Fair enough, guess I just missed hearing about it. Though I have to ask, is it still as "edgy" as the first game? I lost interest in the first one pretty quickly between the gore, the interactive sex scene, and the murdering civilians for health. The basic fighting gameplay was fun, but not fun enough to make up for the immature feeling of the game. Same reason I've never been able to get into Binding of Isaac.

It's very much a God of War game, so that sort of thing is still present unfortunately.

Clive

Nothing says "you don't" give away games for an unsupported system, especially when they're still fully supported through backwards compatibility. Sony has given away PSP games in the past so apparently "you do" give away games for unsupported platforms on Plus. Every Vita owner can play God of War PSP. I would understand the reasoning if they couldn't but they can.

I can only speak for myself but I was interested in many of the high profile PSP games but I never got around to buying them. I will however never touch A Virus Named Tom or whatever. I don't think it's true that everyone who was interested in God of War bought it any more than some random indie game. We can't prove it either way so it's all speculation and anecdotal evidence.

I don't think you think the comparison between NHL 2001 and God of War was relevant so I won't bother discussing it. Ask yourself why Sly, Ratchet, God of War, Jak, Halo and Twilight Princess got HD remakes while no sports game ever has. If you can't figure it out then we can discuss it further.

It's very much a God of War game, so that sort of thing is still present unfortunately.

That's a shame. I enjoy those style of fighting games, but I much prefer the over-the-top silliness of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta to the gritty-edginess of God of War. Oh well, as I said, at least Tropico looks interesting.

I don't think you think the comparison between NHL 2001 and God of War was relevant so I won't bother discussing it. Ask yourself why Sly, Ratchet, God of War, Jak, Halo and Twilight Princess got HD remakes while no sports game ever has. If you can't figure it out then we can discuss it further.

While I agree with your point that it's not a fair comparison, I have to ask, what exactly is the difference between God of War -> God of War HD and NHL 2001 -> NHL 2015?

autoduelist

I feel somewhat guilty. I have a significant backlog, so I've only been buying games on sale. Although, I feel bad for denying money from small devs that I want to support. For example, I'm really interested in Severed but have so many other games I need to play and have pre-orders for Shiren the Wanderer and Shin Megami Tensei Apocalypse.

Does anyone else have this gaming guilt where you feel like you're denying money to the people that keep your hobby going?

Can someone tell me more about Shiren? I like my roguelikes difficult.

I'm going to buy Severed this week because it's my kind of game, and I want to support it, even though I also bought SoSC, Alienation, and have Uncharted 4 showing up soon.

I think it's important to buy the games that are absolutely tailor made for me (like SoSC and Alienation). Sure, I have enough backlog that I could wait 3 years for a huge sale... but if I want -more- of them, I need to support the ones that do come out.

I haven't even booted up SoSC yet because I'm neck deep in Siralim. I am fully addicted to [and LOVING] Alienation though.

Housemarque are developer gods in my opinion. They just nail it every time.

e_i

So I want to buy the PS4 Neptunia game. It's $41.99. I have $40 in my wallet. I go to buy the game, but it wants to take $36.99 from my wallet. and charge me $5 on my card. Huh?

Saphirax

So I want to buy the PS4 Neptunia game. It's $41.99. I have $40 in my wallet. I go to buy the game, but it wants to take $36.99 from my wallet. and charge me $5 on my card. Huh?

Probably has something to do with $5 being the minimum amount when putting money in your wallet.

Saphirax

They can't just charge me the rest of the amount and put it on my card?

They are, but the minimum amount they charge is $5. You can't go lower than that. Same thing would happen if you tried buying an avatar or something that costs $1-2. You'd still get charged $5.

I have no idea why it's like that, but Sony can't just charge you $1.99. That's why they're only taking 36.99 from your wallet.

e_i

They are, but the minimum amount they charge is $5. You can't go lower than that. Same thing would happen if you tried buying an avatar or something that costs $1-2. You'd still get charged $5.

I have no idea why it's like that, but Sony can't just charge you $1.99. That's why they're only taking 36.99 from your wallet.

They couldn't make the game $39.99 could they?

ryseing

Credit card fees aren't cheap.

SerTapTap

Anyone else reviewing Blanc vs Zombies? DM me and we can add each other for co op. I have 4 people total now but more are always welcome since schedules might not line up. I also don't know if importers can play with English copies yet, will test tonight

It's going to be interesting to see how the designers of Caligula's battle system will solve the problem with keeping the gameplay interesting after you have fought a certain set of enemies several times (as from what I've seen each encounter works a little like a puzzle and a puzzle is never as fun when you know the solution).

Maybe they could make an encounter with the same enemies work different by changing the position of the enemies?

I bought Beyond remastered during the recent PSN sale and the game is constantly freezing on loading screens. Is this a known issue?

VLiberty

Late to the PS+ discussion: I'm definitely not a fan of PSP games on the service. I've played most of the good games I wanted to play, while on Vita there are at least 30 games I would be happy to receive, plus some more surprise release that could happen instead of 6 year old games.

good PSP games > bad Vita games of course and I totally agree, but you can hardly say we don't get good Vita games on the service unless you're on the indie hate bandwagon

Top Bottom