• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2016

September is going to be real rough for me, with basically a release every week after GE2RB on the 30th of August. Psycho-pass, SMTIVA and FFXV are all in the same month. RIP me.

Luckily, FOR NOW, October only has SAO HR and one of the 3 big shooters (still undecided on which one I'll get) at the very end of that month.

That's small. Try : Bioshock Collection, psycho pass, p5 JP CE, DQ7 x2, shantae vita, GE2RB EU physical vita, forza horizon 3, azure striker pack 3ds, FFXV, yokai watch 2 x 2

Shiren is amazing btw. I think I love everything about it so far.

That's small. Try : Bioshock Collection, psycho pass, p5 JP CE, DQ7 x2, shantae vita, GE2RB EU physical vita, forza horizon 3, azure striker pack 3ds, FFXV, yokai watch 2 x 2

Shiren is amazing btw. I think I love everything about it so far.

Jeez at least my list is kind of playable, yours is impossible. Unless you have the time of course. I'm going back to school at the beginning of that month D':

Long shot, but has anyone tried connecting to WipEout 2048 online recently?

Whenever I try I get the message "an error occurred whilst contacting the server. please try again"

It's been this way since yesterday though. I can still get on the PS Store, sync trophies etc. normally so it doesn't seem to be PSN that's down, and the servers haven't officially been taken offline. Any ideas?

Whenever I try I get the message "an error occurred whilst contacting the server. please try again"

It's been this way since yesterday though. I can still get on the PS Store, sync trophies etc. normally so it doesn't seem to be PSN that's down, and the servers haven't officially been taken offline. Any ideas?

I can check when I get home. I just bought physical copies of both the na and eu versions used.

Redhood

They have not been taken down AFAIK. Just last month I played some races.

I played some Geometry Wars 3 on Vita this week and for some reason it wouldn't connect to the leaderboard servers, only gave me an error

no idea if that's related or not though

I played some Geometry Wars 3 on Vita this week and for some reason it wouldn't connect to the leaderboard servers, only gave me an error

no idea if that's related or not though

Technically the leaderboard servers for WipEout aren't working either, since it didn't load any of my friend's best times for me to compare to. Seems like the whole thing is down.

I can check when I get home. I just bought physical copies of both the na and eu versions used.

Thanks a lot, it's EU copy I'm playing from.

Ambitious

I've started playing God of War: Chains and Olympus yesterday, and I'm seriously enjoying it. Ready at Dawn did a great job.

However, it seems to, uh, have done something to my Vita. The game froze. I was still able to return to the Vita's main menu, but when I closed the game and started it again, the screen stayed black. After closing and restarting the game a second time, the screen was still black, but I wasn't able to return to the main menu anymore. When I pressed the home button, a warning icon appeared in the top left corner.
So I tried to turn it off. After tapping the "Power Off" button, the activity indicator in the center of the screen just kept spinning for a few minutes. Finally, the screen went black, but the home button is still glowing blue, which means it's still turned on.

edit: Figured it out. After holding the power button for some time, it went into Safe Mode. From there, I simply chose "Restart System", and now it's working again. The game's working, too. It's weird, though: I just learned that in order to launch Safe Mode, you're actually supposed to hold the Power Button, the PS Button and the R Button at the same time. Well, whatever.

It's weird, though: I just learned that in order to launch Safe Mode, you're actually supposed to hold the Power Button, the PS Button and the R Button at the same time. Well, whatever.

If your Vita shut off improperly, holding the power button will send you to Safe Mode no matter what. It's a triggered event in that case, and doesn't need the button combo.

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/a-history-of-vita-games-external-porting-studios/

So, I finished writing an article I'd been working on for some time about the work done by various porting studios on Vita. It's a lengthy read, but I hope it's fairly interesting (I found it interesting to write at least) and I'm always interested to hear what other people have to say about the subject.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to all of these studios on Vita going forward (if anything happens with them) too.

Chuy

Tried this since I had a chance. Connected flawlessly using my digital NA version.

Tried this since I had a chance. Connected flawlessly using my digital NA version.

Thanks for this. I don't know if that's good or bad lol. Good because at least the servers are still up, bad because I don't know what's stopping me from connecting. Guess I'll send a help request to SCE support or something.

autoduelist

Can someone go into a bit of detail about what to expect from Shiren? I know it's a popular franchise but this will be my first. It's a roguelike, right? But is it complex, like, say, Nethack or Stone Soup? Or simplistic like Sorcery Saga? Is there lots of randomized lewt? Or....

Any info would be appreciated.

Can someone go into a bit of detail about what to expect from Shiren? I know it's a popular franchise but this will be my first. It's a roguelike, right? But is it complex, like, say, Nethack or Stone Soup? Or simplistic like Sorcery Saga? Is there lots of randomized lewt? Or....

Any info would be appreciated.

This is my info on it, not having played the game others may be able to offer better input, specially if they have played it. This is the father series of the Mystery Dungeon games that you most likely have heard of and played, such as the Pokemon ones and most recently Etrian Odyssey. If you have played those the concept is the same. Grid/turn-based gameplay with a heavy focus on sustaining yourself (hunger, HP, etc). Every floor of every dungeon you go to is randomly generated, which means no one floor is ever the same. That can both be the saving grace or the peril of the game depending on how you look at it. You could get impossibly hard floors, or super easy ones since their design is all RNG reliant.

autoduelist

This is my info on it, not having played the game others may be able to offer better input, specially if they have played it. This is the father series of the Mystery Dungeon games that you most likely have heard of and played, such as the Pokemon ones and most recently Etrian Odyssey. If you have played those the concept is the same. Grid/turn-based gameplay with a heavy focus on sustaining yourself (hunger, HP, etc). Every floor of every dungeon you go to is randomly generated, which means no one floor is ever the same. That can both be the saving grace or the peril of the game depending on how you look at it. You could get impossibly hard floors, or super easy ones since their design is all RNG reliant.

Yeah, I understand that it's randomly generated. I've ascended in Nethack, I know my way around rougelikes.

But i've never played a Shiren, or an Etrian, or a Pokemon game. I don't know what a 'mystery dungeon' game is. So I don't know if it's easy and simple like Sorcery Saga or has complex mechanics and systems like Nethack/Crawl/etc. Both have random dungeon design, but you've actively have to try to die in Sorcery Saga whereas Nethack will kill you for looking at it crosseyed.

i thought Etrian was a drpg not a roguelike?

Yeah, I understand that it's randomly generated. I've ascended in Nethack, I know my way around rougelikes.

But i've never played a Shiren, or an Etrian, or a Pokemon game. I don't know what a 'mystery dungeon' game is. So I don't know if it's easy and simple like Sorcery Saga or has complex mechanics and systems like Nethack/Crawl/etc. Both have random dungeon design, but you've actively have to try to die in Sorcery Saga whereas Nethack will kill you for looking at it crosseyed.

I was talking about the Mystery Dungeon spinoff titles for both Pokemon and Etrian. They basically have the Mystery Dungeon mechanics that I mentioned, meshed with characteristics from the games they partnered with. Here's the latest Pokemon one and the Etrian Odyssey one and you can sorta see how they look like their original counterparts:

250px-Super_Mystery_Dungeon_EN_boxart.png

gallery_5549_233_74069.jpeg

Etrian_Mystery_Dungeon.jpg

etrian-mystery-002.png

These games can be tough. But honestly I'd say take a look for yourself since these two have heavy coverage on Youtube. I have seen several Shiren for Vita videos up too (latestvitagames has like 3 gameplay videos up that he has uploaded these past 2 or 3 days).

Etrian is a dungeon crawler, but there was a roguelike crossover game released under the name Etrian Mystery Dungeon. "Mystery Dungeon" is the general term for the series of roguelikes Chunsoft develops, with a number of sub-entries that cross over with Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Pokemon.

Anyway, I haven't played a Shiren game yet, but my understanding is that they're fairly moderate as roguelikes go. Not quite as simple as Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but certainly not as challenging as Nethack.

1hr of gameplay of Shiren with commentary for you to check out autoduelist. Skim through it and see if it's for you. Has a very old-school complex system thing going for it, it may be something you want to check out. I certainly have my eye on it. Colin Moriarty from Kinda Funny seems to be playing it as well and is going to give some insight on it (either on Gamescast or PSILY I'd say). It will definitely scratch that old school itch.

Btw, I am Setsuna is really good. I am playing it on my laptop, but it is available for PS4. Although the price is a tiny bit too high for what one would probably spend for a game such as this, it is pretty well done and legitimately feels like a graphical evolution while maintaining the gameplay style of Chrono Trigger. The story is quite sad so far due to the whole premise, the writing is pretty good and legit feels like a story that we only saw way back when, from the way it is presented to how it is delivered.

Shizuka

I got a review code and there's no embargo. Alas, the game sounds completely unforgiving at first. You can't even keep multiple saves or even a single one, the game shuts you out when you save your progress, meaning you'll never have a point to load from if you die.

I'll probably take advantage of my PS+ subscription and keep a file uploaded on the cloud whenever I make too much progress, but that's just one of the hardships you'll face with the game. That said, it looks, sounds and feels so good. Definitely the game of the month for me.

Chuy

Thanks for this. I don't know if that's good or bad lol. Good because at least the servers are still up, bad because I don't know what's stopping me from connecting. Guess I'll send a help request to SCE support or something.
Curious : digital or physical?

Hikami

Btw, I am Setsuna is really good. I am playing it on my laptop, but it is available for PS4. Although the price is a tiny bit too high for what one would probably spend for a game such as this, it is pretty well done and legitimately feels like a graphical evolution while maintaining the gameplay style of Chrono Trigger. The story is quite sad so far due to the whole premise, the writing is pretty good and legit feels like a story that we only saw way back when, from the way it is presented to how it is delivered.

Agreed, loving it here as well. Takes game of the month for me.
I haven't played Chrono Trigger and I see everyone comparing this to it.. maybe I should try it out.

I haven't played Chrono Trigger and I see everyone comparing this to it.. maybe I should try it out.
you should really play Chrono Trigger. It still amazes me how well made that game is

You're lucky you're going from setsuna to chrono. After playing chrono setsuna is a hollow shell in comparison. The music is square soft good. The rest not so much for me.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
1hr of gameplay of Shiren with commentary for you to check out autoduelist. Skim through it and see if it's for you. Has a very old-school complex system thing going for it, it may be something you want to check out. I certainly have my eye on it. Colin Moriarty from Kinda Funny seems to be playing it as well and is going to give some insight on it (either on Gamescast or PSILY I'd say). It will definitely scratch that old school itch.

What is this complex system? I played the japanese demo, i don't speak japanese so maybe i missed it but it didn't have the impression that it's so much more complex than sorcery saga, adventure bar labyrinth or others.
Cladun games have a very complex customization of the character, if we consider ZHP a roguelike it has many complex things going on, i see nothing in Shiren that i would call complex, i thought it was rather simple and straightforward honestly.

I got a review code and there's no embargo. Alas, the game sounds completely unforgiving at first. You can't even keep multiple saves or even a single one, the game shuts you out when you save your progress, meaning you'll never have a point to load from if you die.

Yeah, permadeath is a standard core element of roguelikes such as Shiren. A few such as ZHP fudge it a bit to make things easier on the player by creating some overall progression even across deaths, but for most you don't get second chances.

kurahador

Question about some old games on PS3!!

- Did they ever patch out the screen tearing in Asura's Wrath?
- Does The Evil Within PS3 runs okay? Really didn't know this game is on PS3 as well.

I'm really enjoying Ys Celceta (yes I'm late shut up backlogs suck). I love how big and open it is.

I though people generally didn't like it that much compared to other Ys games? Or are those only the old-school Ys fans who don't like change?

I'm really enjoying Ys Celceta (yes I'm late shut up backlogs suck). I love how big and open it is.

I though people generally didn't like it that much compared to other Ys games? Or are those only the old-school Ys fans who don't like change?

I tried Ys because the CE for celceta looked amazing. I started off with Felghana. Then played Celceta. I dont dislike it but I prefer Felghana. Havent played the others yet barring Ys 1 on iOS :p

Own em all tho

I tried Ys because the CE for celceta looked amazing. I started off with Felghana. Then played Celceta. I dont dislike it but I prefer Felghana. Havent played the others yet barring Ys 1 on iOS :p

Own em all tho

Well I think many people think Felghana is the best, it's also the first I played.

Celceta is different, but still extremely enjoyable

Well I think many people think Felghana is the best, it's also the first I played.

Celceta is different, but still extremely enjoyable

Felgahan OST is one of the best in gaming ever imo. I got this recently. the premium box that had all 8 CDs in a box

Cover-5.jpg

edit: you got your pic back!

The biggest complaint about Ys post-Seven from fans of previous Ys games is how prevalent the dialogue is. When you just want to get back to the combat, having people drone on and on can be annoying. I think that's a reasonable critique.

autoduelist

Welp, i accidentally forgot to cancel my preorder for shiren. i was planning to last night, but went to bed early and... whoops.

I'm knee deep in Criminal Girls right now, so really didn't need to spend the money [plus a backlog with 100s of vita games] but I guess I can back seat CG for Shiren. CG has some interesting systems [very interesting that the characters choose what they're willing to do every turn], though so far it's not challenging enough to grab me and the service is goofyx10.

What is this complex system? I played the japanese demo, i don't speak japanese so maybe i missed it but it didn't have the impression that it's so much more complex than sorcery saga, adventure bar labyrinth or others.
Cladun games have a very complex customization of the character, if we consider ZHP a roguelike it has many complex things going on, i see nothing in Shiren that i would call complex, i thought it was rather simple and straightforward honestly.

Uh oh. I hope it's got something to it. I plat'd Sorcery Saga with my eyes closed. Heck, I even beat ABL on psmobile and that was only slightly harder.
ZHP was pretty cool... it definitely offered more systems than the other two, though I disliked the whole base building part since I found it overly obtuse.

I'm coming from a pc background with roguelikes, and have beat the likes of nethack, tome, etc without scum saving, and while i don't expect that level of challenge in a handheld game I'm hoping it at least comes close.

I guess it doesn't really matter, it's on its way to my doorstep and i'll be playing it as of tomorrow.

Yeah, permadeath is a standard core element of roguelikes such as Shiren. A few such as ZHP fudge it a bit to make things easier on the player by creating some overall progression even across deaths, but for most you don't get second chances.

oh, cool, it has permadeath. that's a plus. sorcery sage/abl/zhp have that 'keep your equipment, start at level 1 for each dungeon' thing going, which is kind of cool but kind of broken.

c'monnnnnnn be good. I'll be so pysched if I love it....

I really wish someone brought the classics like Nethack and Crawl and such to vita. They're on mobile... and they'd just be so damn perfect on vita.

My PS4 wouldn't turn on this morning, just beeped and blinked and turned off again. After unplugging it for a few minutes and going into safe mode it works again, but I'm worried. :(

Guess Gal*Gun was too much for it

bobohoro

It's an enjoyable game with the usual great Ys combat, but it gets dragged down by too much story that didn't really do it for me, a soundtrack that is a bit below series standard and the rather weak visual presentation.

But like always, a slightly weak Ys game is still a pretty great game overall.

wilflare

My PS4 wouldn't turn on this morning, just beeped and blinked and turned off again. After unplugging it for a few minutes and going into safe mode it works again, but I'm worried. :(

get it exchanged/repaired if you still have warranty. sounds like the start of a bunch of issues.

deadfolk

I had no idea that Shiren was also coming out in EU this week. Totally flew under my radar. I remember enjoying the DS game, but for some reason I didn't play it a huge amount.

Is this a good game to play in short (20-30 min) bursts?

Edit: just saw on the PS blog that Summon Night 6 has been announced for EU, coming in January. Nice!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Uh oh. I hope it's got something to it. I plat'd Sorcery Saga with my eyes closed. Heck, I even beat ABL on psmobile and that was only slightly harder.
ZHP was pretty cool... it definitely offered more systems than the other two, though I disliked the whole base building part since I found it overly obtuse.

I'm coming from a pc background with roguelikes, and have beat the likes of nethack, tome, etc without scum saving, and while i don't expect that level of challenge in a handheld game I'm hoping it at least comes close.

I guess it doesn't really matter, it's on its way to my doorstep and i'll be playing it as of tomorrow.

I was talking about complex things like these:
ss_e35c69d4f6fa4bbf10c843a9b02fd23c0607fa0a.600x338.jpg
gfs_185699_2_1.jpg

shiren seemed to me to have pretty standard stuff but i said nothing about difficutly, it's impossible to predict the difficulty of a game from its demo imo ;)

ZHP game of forever though. :p

yaffi

I kind of consider myself an old-school Ys fan (I started with Napishtim, and played all the games bar Ys5) but I enjoyed Celceta quite a lot. I still prefer the one-man Ys games, but Celceta was a huge step up from Ys7.

Bowl0l

Have you tried using another power point?

The Vita sabotage continues. Shiren on NA store is listed, without Purchase option. Just wishlist.

Sigh. Something fucks up with every relatively big Vita release.

Top Bottom