• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | January 2015

jvm

Gamasutra.
Grim Fandango is so good on PSV. Better than PS4, simply because I can get in a few minutes here and there. Weren't we supposed to be able to suspend the PS4 like that at some point?

Recommended: REmaster, or Grim Fandango, both are great!

SerTapTap

So, Grim Fandango, should I just be using a guide? I got to the
put chemicals in balloons
part on my own, but even reading just the very first spoiler for this section I got immediately stuck again. There aren't even that many places to go. Is this a particularly bad point of Adventure Game Logic or should I resign myself to using a guide for lots of this?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Grim Fandango came at the very very end of the prominent PC adventure game era and therefore assumes that the player has beaten some games with some absolutely mind boggling puzzles before.

autoduelist

Mobile games are still games. Even if it is F2P, and you NEVER got to spend a single cent or dime on any IAP, but still enjoyed it, wouldn't that be enough? A good game is a good and all that matters is that you enjoy it.

The F2P encourages bad game design. The very act of putting in pay elements requires keeping something from the player worth paying for, and 99 times out of 100 the way developers create that 'element' is putting in grind gates, time gates or otherwise toying with human nature to encourage us to open our wallets. This, by it's very nature, encourages bad game design. To put it simply, a balanced game would never make a player feel the need to pay (unless it was pure donation). I simply can't support a concept (IAP) that directly applies pressure to developers to make games worse experiences for players.

I've seen a few exceptions where in game IAP is truly 'not necessary' (skins, for example), but those are truly exceptions and go counter to 99.9% of the games on IOS - more 'dlc' or 'tip' than IAP as traditionally discussed.

When mobile stops being a bulging teratoma of addiction design F2P, scattershot low-quality games and games that become unplayable 5 months later as they're unprofitable (often all three) it can give me a call. Not interested in basically anything on the platform, it's just not worth the mental stress of looking at the app store anymore. At an ethical level I simply can't support that shit. If it's a good game they're welcome to bring it to PC or console, hopefully without jacking the price up by more than double as seems common.

'Addiction design' is a perfect way to put it.

I found just engaging with the IOS store stressful too. After a few months, I had countless games on my ipad... but just looking at them I knew 95% were trash, but no way to know which ones unless I invested time into them, only to discover they'd be ruined by paywall design.

Paying $3-$40 for my Vita games is infinitely better.
Buttons and analog sticks help for that, too

I hope some of you guys post your Criminal Girls impressions, canceled my preorder a while back. If the gameplay is good enough, I'll try to set aside my gripes with loli pandering like I did with Monster Monpiece.

I hope some of you guys post your Criminal Girls impressions, canceled my preorder a while back. If the gameplay is good enough, I'll try to set aside my gripes with loli pandering like I did with Monster Monpiece.

I'm curious too, but it doesn't look very good tbh.
Did you guys know it's rated 16+ in Germany? That's kind of funny.

mothball

My LE got here today so I'll give some first impressions:

[Discussion of this game has been removed.]

Renpatsu

So, Grim Fandango, should I just be using a guide? I got to the
put chemicals in balloons
part on my own, but even reading just the very first spoiler for this section I got immediately stuck again. There aren't even that many places to go. Is this a particularly bad point of Adventure Game Logic or should I resign myself to using a guide for lots of this?
There's no problem using a spoiler free guide if it means keeping yourself from becoming utterly frustrated. However I will say that the first year is good part of the game just to acquaint yourself with the internal logic that the game is asking for when it comes to solutions.

The best thing you can do (as always with adventure games) before resorting to a guide is to make certain that you've explored areas thoroughly and picked up any and all items available to you at that point so that you know what options you have to solve puzzles. Also remember to inspect items and points of interest just in case Manny or anyone you talk to reveal clues to the solution. Switching to the original rendering mode may also be helpful if only because the new lighting makes some areas difficult to distinguish on the Vita's small screen.

Mods banned discussion of criminal girls cause it spawned so many shit threads. Impressions should be okay, though someone could check with a mod if they want to make sure.

So guys my Vita died :(

I am going to get a slim now but will i need to get a new case for it ?

Will it fit in my starter kit case that i got from amazon ?

I have read people saying it will not fit or it is a tight squeeze

I think most 1k cases should fit a 2k, but it won't fit as well as the 1k either too big or too wide or whatever.

I am going to get a slim now
but will i need to get a new case for it ?

You poor, poor, boy. :(

Kidding, whatever you prefer :p

Sucks to hear your Vita died, but are you sure it's dead? What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

RK128

I'm sorry man :(. I just have to ask, how did it break? Did the OLED screen die out? The buttons stop working? Your MC dying? Screen braking from dropping it? Battery spasing out?

I know how to fix the battery problem though; reset your Vita (turn it off and when turning it on, hold the power button/the R button/PS button) and select the rebuild data base. Then after that, the system will work fine I think (did that twice after my battery stopped working).

With the screen issue, you can do this crazy thing; put toothpaste on your Vita's screen and rub it. That is completely nuts, as it will badly scratch up the Vita, but I've heard stuff like this happening with peoples GC disks and after letting the Toothpaste make a layer on the disk/screen, it should pick up the scratches that the Vita's screen has.

The OLED screen dying out? I suppose you can get a refurbished Vita 1000 from a GameStop and trading in your existing Vita (granted you will be charged for the damages, but you will be getting some credit for your busted Vita); with the trade in, you will save some of the cost of the new Vita.

I have no idea how to fix the Memory Card problem if that is your issue....so I'm sorry about that X(.

With the buttons....you can try opening up your Vita; maybe getting lose dust or tightening the screws or something can greatly help in making them work better :).

I hope any of these tips help you in some form. Sorry about your Vita man X(; the 1000 is a wonderful system, so it is a damn shame if it got busted :(.

You poor, poor, boy. :(

Kidding, whatever you prefer :p

Sucks to hear your Vita died, but are you sure it's dead? What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

Heh my local game stores and UK Amazon do not seem to stock the 1k vitas anymore. I might need to search more but it looks like a Slim will be my replacement

I managed to spill my Cup of coffee on it while looking for some of my university work.

I didn't have any rice lying around also i don't know if rice would work with coffee?

I'm sorry man :(. I just have to ask, how did it break? Did the OLED screen die out? The buttons stop working? Your MC dying? Screen braking from dropping it? Battery spasing out?

I know how to fix the battery problem though; reset your Vita (turn it off and when turning it on, hold the power button/the R button/PS button) and select the rebuild data base. Then after that, the system will work fine I think (did that twice after my battery stopped working).

With the screen issue, you can do this crazy thing; put toothpaste on your Vita's screen and rub it. That is completely nuts, as it will badly scratch up the Vita, but I've heard stuff like this happening with peoples GC disks and after letting the Toothpaste make a layer on the disk/screen, it should pick up the scratches that the Vita's screen has.

The OLED screen dying out? I suppose you can get a refurbished Vita 1000 from a GameStop and trading in your existing Vita (granted you will be charged for the damages, but you will be getting some credit for your busted Vita); with the trade in, you will save some of the cost of the new Vita.

I have no idea how to fix the Memory Card problem if that is your issue....so I'm sorry about that X(.

I hope any of these tips help you in some form. Sorry about your Vita man X(; the 1000 is a wonderful system, so it is a damn shame if it got busted :(.

I wish i had those problems :p but i guess this will teach me not to have any liquids near my desk anymore!

I remember tooth paste fixed my copy of FFX back in the day so tooth paste works somehow!

RK128

Heh my local game stores and UK Amazon do not seem to stock the 1k vitas anymore. I might need to search more but it looks like a Slim will be my replacement

I managed to spill my Cup of coffee on it while looking for some of my university work.

I didn't have any rice lying around also i don't know if rice would work with coffee?

I wish i had those problems :p but i guess this will teach me not to have any liquids near my desk anymore!

I remember tooth paste fixed my copy of FFX back in the day so tooth paste works somehow!

Man, that really sucks; getting coffee on your Vita X(. I know that feeling; I remember coffee falling all over my laptops keyboard in the middle of writing a paper before a final a year ago.....that was not a pleasant experience :(.

I think putting your Vita in rice might be a smart move; at the very least, it would allow you to see if the Vita works at all. That can be helpful, as you can find a way to save your Vita or see if you can put it toward the Vita 2000 :l.

Really sorry this happened to your man :(.

autoduelist

Don't try to turn it on till you're sure it's dry.

Coffee is water based, so yes, rice will help suck out moisture. Coffee residue may or may not be an issue. If you only spilled coffee on it, really, not much probably actually got inside.

There's a decent chance it'll work in a couple days unless you fried something, but usually, once the moisture is gone you're fine.

Man, that really sucks; getting coffee on your Vita X(. I know that feeling; I remember coffee falling all over my laptops keyboard in the middle of writing a paper before a final a year ago.....that was not a pleasant experience :(.

I think putting your Vita in rice might be a smart move; at the very least, it would allow you to see if the Vita works at all. That can be helpful, as you can find a way to save your Vita or see if you can put it toward the Vita 2000 :l.

Really sorry this happened to your man :(.

Thankfully money is not an issue for me at this time so i will be able to replace it! but to my knowledge Vita 1000 was phased out in the UK last year which sucks but i can live with the slim

Apart from the screen differences is there any other differences between the 2k & the 1k?

Massa

Mods banned discussion of criminal girls cause it spawned so many shit threads. Impressions should be okay, though someone could check with a mod if they want to make sure.

I'm pretty sure they banned all discussion on those kinds games because it reflects poorly on the community as a whole to host that kind of discussion.

That picture just disturbs me. Never liked it, never will.

Anyways, the new thread is done. I'll post it later tonight.

You find it disturbing? With all the pictures of anime children that get posted here I didn't think someone would find a silhouette of wrestlers disturbing.

Thankfully money is not an issue for me at this time so i will be able to replace it! but to my knowledge Vita 1000 was phased out in the UK last year which sucks but i can live with the slim

Apart from the screen differences is there any other differences between the 2k & the 1k?

It's far more comfortable to use and has a much better battery life. Also the screen has more accurate colors.

ZeroAKA

You find it disturbing? With all the pictures of anime children that get posted here I didn't think someone would find a silhouette of wrestlers disturbing.
Are we thinking about the same picture? I'm sure it wouldn't be as disturbing if it was just a silhouette.

The back touchpad is smaller, it's thinner and lighter, the start and select buttons are reshaped (bigger) and the connector plug is now microUSB instead of proprietary.

Oh, and the activity light is now top center and follows a different scheme.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Are we thinking about the same picture? I'm sure it wouldn't be as disturbing if it was just a silhouette.
There are two images. The full picture that I post, that was a mini-meme in our older threads. And the silhouette that was hidden in the weekly thread banners each week. The first to find the wrestlers got the keys for the community car for that week.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks for the answers guys
Dude, sorry to hear about your loss. Best of luck finding a system too replace the dead one. I love mine and would be pretty upset to lose it. Fortunately this one was gratis, but it's been a real treat. (White Assassin's Creed model)

ZeroAKA

There are two images. The full picture that I post, that was a mini-meme in our older threads. And the silhouette that was hidden in the weekly thread banners each week. The first to find the wrestlers got the keys for the community car for that week.
Oh, forgot about those. I have no problem with the hidden wrestlers. Of course, I'd have to change them to hidden Mikus if I were to bring them back.

Yasumi

Banned
It's better if we don't discuss it then, I rather not get this thread locked. I'll ask around with the Twitter peeps.
Gameplay discussion seems like it would be fine, as it doesn't touch on the sexual aspects. As long it doesn't degrade into explicit waifu stuff and arguments, it shouldn't need to treated as this naughty, taboo thing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh, forgot about those. I have no problem with the hidden wrestlers. Of course, I'd have to change them to hidden Mikus if I were to bring them back.
If someone (goldrusher, chubigans, ...?) still had the silhouette, I'd be happy to post that every month instead of the full color picture. :) I don't know how to make that kind of thing professionally in Photoshop/GIMP.

Gameplay discussion seems like it would be fine, as it doesn't touch on the sexual aspects. As long it doesn't degrade into explicit waifu stuff and arguments, it shouldn't need to treated as this naughty, taboo thing.

yeah, this is my take on it as well. Discussing it as a game is fine; discussing it as an object of controversy not so much. Again, if someone is apprehensive they should just PM a mod.

8BXLALD.jpg

Resogun survival mode gets pretty crazy around day 10. Really need to make sure you have a power shield at all times.

I randomly found out if you press L3 and R3 during the game over screen, it makes the menu disappear. During the game over screen, the game auto scrolls around the level so if you want a certain shot, just wait and press that share button. That's how I took this shot. It's no photomode (hoping they add that in with the next DLC) but it gets the job done.

...and I was able to end January on a good note by getting #1 on the monthly global leaderboards!

Top Bottom