• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

BadWolf

Not much for me, though glad to see it seems to be good for many others.

Oh well, still need to get back to Dragon's Crown and finish it.

SerTapTap

Let the infuriating monthly PS+ posts begin.

I refuse to engage this time after last month's pathetic reaction by a surprisingly large part of the community.

At least some converts ended up playing Velocity 2X, best that could have been hoped for really.

Cess007

Spelunky never clicked with me, but i'm happy with getting Dust. Arkham Asylum seems like a really old game to be on PSPlus tho. All in all, not that bad month, better than September for me.

hawk2025

There's always a significant amount of posts in these threads that takes any criticism of the PS+ offering as nothing more than ignorant bashing of indie games as inferior to 'real' games. Despite many people offering sound arguments based on monetary value, perceived quality (either personally or through Metacritic/reviews), comparison to past months on PS+ etc. My arguments relating to the broader appeal of AAA games are sound (though not infallible), as is shown by the unit sales and general popularity of most AAA games versus most indies, while many others' arguments boil down to nothing more than a pithy 'Indies are games too, morons' put down.

So posts critical of the selection are 'pathetic' reactions, people who don't like what you don't like have 'awful taste'. That's your contribution so far. Sure are enlightening, grounded opinions, bro.

1) Monetary arguments are not sound, and we've known since 1776 that value is not determined by cost/budget. It's what all of Economics (other than marxist offshoots) is based on.

2) Perceived quality is a evidently the wrong argument being used in these threads, since the year's best rated original PS4 game, Velocity 2X, was the game most harped on last month -- and this month we have two more fantastically rated games in Dust and Spelunky.

3) Comparison to past months on PS+ rest on on the opinion of the games themselves and is not logical reasoning in and of itself.

Yes, the tastes are awful according to my opinion, since taste is obviously subjective, and the reasoning is pathetic because it's based on budget or other reasons that don't pass logical muster. Read back on last month's PS+ thread and tell me you can justify the majority of the opinions being given on Velocity 2X. I'm not taking anything back in the argument itself.

However, you are right that I should tone down the confrontational aspect of calling people's tastes awful, though, and I apologize for that. It's an unnecessary diversion. But I reiterate that the main line of argument here is that the reasoning and logic being presented by a vast number of people is not sound.

... I love how I said I wouldn't engage, and a bunch of people quoted it. And here I am, engaging :p

SerTapTap

Spelunky never clicked with me, but i'm happy with getting Dust. Arkham Asylum seems like a really old game to be on PSPlus tho. All in all, not that bad month, better than September for me.

It probably would have been City if they hadn't already given it away. It's a marketing tool for Knight, and people need to realize marketing and DLC sales are a huge part of why most AAA games end up on here.

hohoXD123

I'm getting sick and tired of all this indie shit.

Lol, Dust+Spelunky+Driveclub are amazing offerings, shame I have Spelunky already and Dust on PC (though I guess now I can remote play it). Not much interest in the others though.

Let the infuriating monthly PS+ posts begin.

I refuse to engage this time after last month's pathetic reaction by a surprisingly large part of the community.
The worst part of it is, when there is a free full AAA PS4 game the complaints will change to "THAT WAS ALREADY ON SALE!!!/I ALREADY BOUGHT THAT AT LAUNCH!"

Anyone who complains about 'stupid indie games' about Spelunky this month doesn't deserve video games.

Chatin

After seeing the Rainbow Moon add-ons on sale on the PS Store all of the time, I had written it off. Not sure if it's something worth actually playing.

Nothing I'm really in a rush to play, this month.

And if we're talking about the "golden period" of PS+, allow me to point out February 2012:

The Simpsons Arcade Game – 2/7
Final Fantasy V (PSOne Classic) – 2/7
Hungry Giraffe (minis) – 2/7
Gold Medalist (minis) – 2/7
Sega Genesis Bundle – 2/21
Altered Beast – 2/21
Comix Zone – 2/21
Golden Axe – 2/21
Sonic 1 – 2/21
Sonic 2 – 2/21
Streets of Rage 2 – 2/21
Battle Fantasia – 2/14
Fatal Inertia – 2/14
Hamsterball – 2/14
Inferno Pool – 2/7
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom – 2/14
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars – 2/14

I mean, holy shit, what a fucking month.

Is this supposed to be an amazing month? Several old Genesis games (that you already own if you've bought any of the many Genesis collections over the years), an arcade classic that hasn't aged well, the worst version of a great Final Fantasy game, and some shovelware.

Griss

1) Monetary arguments are not sound, and we've known since 1776 that value is not determined by cost/budget. It's what all of Economics (other than marxist offshoots) is based on.

2) Perceived quality is a evidently the wrong argument being used in these threads, since the year's best rated original PS4 game, Velocity 2X, was the game most harped on last month -- and this month we have two more fantastically rated games in Dust and Spelunky.

3) Comparison to past months on PS+ rest on on the opinion of the games themselves and is not logical reasoning in and of itself.

Yes, the tastes are awful according to my opinion, since taste is obviously subjective, and the reasoning is pathetic because it's based on budget or other reasons that don't pass logical muster. Read back on last month's PS+ thread and tell me you can justify the majority of the opinions being given on Velocity 2X. I'm not taking anything back in the argument itself.

However, you are right that I should tone down the confrontational aspect of calling people's tastes awful, though, and I apologize for that. It's an unnecessary diversion. But I reiterate that the main line of argument here is that the reasoning and logic being presented by a vast number of people is not sound.

Alright, fair play for toning down the rhetoric and I'll do the same in turn. Thanks.

But I still have to disagree with points 1 and 3 there.

The monetary argument rings true for me because it's what got me to sign up. I kept an excel sheet of what was coming to plus and what it currently cost in the stores. At first (early 2012) it wasn't enough to make me sign up, but once the Vita games were added in late 2012 the value went through the roof and I signed up without even owning a Vita. Like many people, I bought a Vita because of the PS+ games I had accumulated. And I signed up for PS+ because of the difference between store cost and PS+ cost of those games. So that point about cost/budget not equaling value were not correct for me, and I can extrapolate and say there were almost certainly many others like me as I recall seeing many posts echoing my own at that time.

As for point 2, I agree that this stuff is subjective, but let me just make a point about last month. Many people harped on Velocity 2X because many people played the original and thought it was poor. I was among that group. Others could tell from preview videos that it wasn't their thing. I played 2X to about 66% and surprisingly, I thought it was worse than the original due to the constant control switching. The OT for that game is surprisingly short, which reflects the fact that I do not think it had much appeal. I genuinely think it's a poor game, from art design to audio to gameplay. That's subjective, of course, but many felt that way which is where that backlash came from. But I'll give you the general point that taste is subjective and metacritic / reviews not a perfect guide to how a game might be received.

As for 3, my disagreement here only applies if you accept my arguments about money. We were getting 4 games that cost 40 euro in the shop some months, we're not getting that anymore. If you don't accept the monetary argument this one falls apart.

I'm not interested in arguing economics as I've never studied it. I don't need to have done so to have an opinion on this topic or the reasons how and why I signed up for PS+.

Anyway, I'm just defending people's opinions here. I'd like a AAA game here or there but I think this is a good month of games and far superior to last month's, where I genuinely found nothing I liked.

Myeh, it's not a bad lineup, pity I already have Dust in PC and Pix doesn't seem my cup of tea. Excited for Spelunky Vita and curious about Rainbow Moon though.

Kerned

Banned
I've played most of this month's games, but it's a very strong lineup nonetheless. It's tough to be mad at Sony for offering good games I happen to have played. Spelunky is legitimately one of the best games ever made, full stop. Anyone who hasn't played it should be excited to check out out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is this supposed to be an amazing month? Several old Genesis games (that you already own if you've bought any of the many Genesis collections over the years), an arcade classic that hasn't aged well, the worst version of a great Final Fantasy game, and some shovelware.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Hamsterball turned out to be surprisingly fun (myself and a few friends had a blast taking turns clearing stages), Supersonic Acrobatic blahblah Battle Cars is a great multiplayer game, legitimately not shovelware, Mahjong Tales is a standard but fun casual mahjong matching game, and Battle Fantasia was actually a full retail title on the 360 and is not a bad fighter at all. Fatal Inertia and Inferno Pool are the only two I'd really call shovelware. Sure, Simpsons Arcade aged badly, but at the time it was a big deal as it was the first time it had been available on consoles. Definitely one of those games you play through once and never think about again, but still good for a freebie.

I don't know, I was super happy with that month, myself. Got a lot of playtime out of those games.

Thyralax

Banned
The worst part of it is, when there is a free full AAA PS4 game the complaints will change to "THAT WAS ALREADY ON SALE!!!/I ALREADY BOUGHT THAT AT LAUNCH!"

Anyone who complains about 'stupid indie games' about Spelunky this month doesn't deserve video games.
I'm going to give Spelunky a chance but so far this year on the "Glorious Indie Games" I liked Don't Starve, Stick it to the Man, and Guacamelee. Every other game that I tried I ended up hating well besides Trine that wasn't too bad. I'll give any game a try but I generally don't like Indie games mostly for the fact I spent $400 on my PS4 and so far I'm getting games for free that my iPhone or PS2 could have run.

And if we're talking about the "golden period" of PS+, allow me to point out February 2012:

I mean, holy shit, what a fucking month.

You forgot to include the /s to signify the sarcasm and irony. Some people think you are being serious...

Glad you liked that, but tastes and all that.

Why did I think Dust was a cross-buy with a non-existent Vita version?

Ok, well that'll have to wait for my PS4 purchase. Rainbow Moon looks good, though.

I already played and beat Dust in the 360. I cannot recommend it enough the combat is super fucking fun and the art direction is incredible (not a fan of walking talking animals but eh).

Have never truly played spelunking though might as well do that and download it. Better month than September for me already since I didn't care for any games from that.

Why? Why should there be a limit on how long ago a game came out that should be on PS+? It should be a MIX, as it currently is. Plenty of people have not played games from five years ago, six years ago.

Jesus christ, gamers love to put arbitrarily limitations on shit.
B-B-But we're paying so we deserve titles that came out one year ago. And triple A. And new ones. Every month. Or I'll whine about it! And keep subbing every month anyway...

Edit: Rainbow Moon sounds cool.

Kilvin

This is a fantastic month, I'm very pleased.

Last month I was admittedly a little let down by the offerings but these are far more up my alley.

Plus Driveclub even! :)

My games of last generation:

1.) Dark Souls
2.) Mario Galaxy
3.) Spelunky

For what it's worth, I initially hated Spelunky and deleted it after a few hours. I kept hearing things about it (BRex's solo eggplant run), gave it another shot, and ended up sinking hundreds of hours into it. Still have the #2 highest score on PSN ($2.16 million). If only it were real money then it might be an accomplishment...

My games of last generation:

1.) Dark Souls
2.) Mario Galaxy
3.) Spelunky

For what it's worth, I initially hated Spelunky and deleted it after a few hours. I kept hearing things about it (BRex's solo eggplant run), gave it another shot, and ended up sinking hundreds of hours into it. Still have the #2 highest score on PSN ($2.16 million). If only it were real money then it might be an accomplishment...
Congratulations! I didn't like Spelunky, though I gave it multiple trys. Don't know why it didn't click with me though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The reaction to PS+ these days is so different to what it was even just a year ago. Then it was all 'Thank you based Sony! I can't believe I'm getting all these games for free! Is this for real?' etc. Now it's very, very mixed, with many people feeling like they're not getting value. PS+ is one of the things that really built up goodwill for Sony before the launch of the PS4. I wonder if Sony is aware of the change in perception. I wonder if, at this stage, they care.

Kind of pisses me off seeing all the indie crusaders in here upset that people don't like the games they like. If someone doesn't like the games on offer, or thinks that they are poor value compared to what PS+ offered in the past, they are entitled to that opinion.

Remember, indies tend to be niche games in niche genres - that's what's great about them, without them these genres would die. But that means that by definition they will appeal to far less people. Your big budget AAA games can be bland as fuck, but it's by design - they must appeal to tons of people, and they tend to. So it's not surprising that more people will be happy with the non-niche games than the niche ones. For example: We got Velocity last month and Spelunky this month. Both are pretty niche and I strongly dislike both, from a couple of hours with them. I'd take almost any AAA title over either because I'd probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But people who like those two games love them to pieces because they're right down their alley. That's great. But PS+ used to have a broader appeal.

Then there's the monetary argument. I originally signed up for PS+ because I felt guaranteed of getting 1-3 blockbuster games from 1 or 2 years ago for so little money. I was getting so many games that I had wanted to buy (but couldn't afford) that I actually stopped buying games. Many others did the same. It has been a long time since I saw a game like that on the service, really. A long time since I thought 'WOW! This is saving me so much money on games I'd otherwise have bought!'

People aren't comparing PS+ to how far their money would go in a normal shop, they're comparing it
a) To what PS+ was a year ago, and how much more monetary value those games had when they were put on the service
b) To steam, on which most of these indie games are dirt cheap.

It's still great value, but it was utterly ridiculous value before and it's hard not to be a little disappointed that those days appear to be over for the moment.

I know people give you a lot of shit, so I just want to say, I think your post is fairly reasonable. It's okay to be disappointed, and if you're disappointed it's not necessarily because you hate indies or are irrational or anything like that. I guess it depends on why one is disappointed, honestly.

For myself, this isn't a great month either, and I haven't had a great month in a while. That said it's not a terrible worthless month either, just not "holy shit WOW" like some previous months have been. Not because of the monetary values of the games, or the indieness or lack thereof, not at all, it's just a matter of personal preferences. Here's my breakdown for this month:

- Dust: my boyfriend already bought it on the 360 and PC (via a Humble Bundle). I have yet to play it, though I guess I can play it on PS4 once I buy one. Is the PS4 version different?
- DriveClub: no interest. I might check it out for the pretty grafx but that's it, not into cars and racing at all (F-Zero excluded XD).
- Spelunky: no interest. My boyfriend wants it though, so at least one of us is happy. ^^
- Batman: already have
- D&D: already have
- Pix the Cat: no interest. Boyfriend might be interested, someone said "Chu-chu Rocket on crack" and his ears perked up haha
- Rainbow Moon: might check it out. Metacritic seems kind of bad, but I'll give it a chance, it actually seems like my kind of game (old-school jRPG, hopefully not too grindy).

So, lots of games I already have and few I'm really interested in, but at least someone else in my household has other games he's interested in. :) Not the worst month, but not the best. And I'm not complaining or raging or whining at Sony, don't get me wrong; just giving my personal impressions. I mean for me, the best PS+ offering has been Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and I'm sure someone out there wasn't happy with that because they already had the game or they weren't interested. To each their own.

Sony could give out GTA V next month and you'd still have people complaining that they've already played it.
I'd be complaining because I hate GTA. :D

so lately I've been reluctant to buy new games, and frankly plus has kind of made me realize I really should stop. Unless it's something like gta 5 or The Last of us, I should probably just wait cause it'll end up on plus, especially for vita. Almost everything on vita right now that's on plus I already own.

This isn't a jab at the service, I think it's great, but is it good for developers of these games? I assume Sony is paying them but I wonder if it beats out retail sales.

so lately I've been reluctant to buy new games, and frankly plus has kind of made me realize I really should stop. Unless it's something like gta 5 or The Last of us, I should probably just wait cause it'll end up on plus, especially for vita. Almost everything on vita right now that's on plus I already own.

This isn't a jab at the service, I think it's great, but is it good for developers of these games? I assume Sony is paying them but I wonder if it beats out retail sales.

Maybe Sony's evil master plan is to make developers/publishers more dependent on PS+ money because PSN users stop buying their games thus making PS+ more attractive to PSN users ...aaaaand you've got your vicious circle going!
j/k

I think most people will still buy the stuff they are really interested in (day one, unless it's on PS+ already then :p ). For the rest, people have always been reluctant to pay full price or any money at all, so maybe PS+ is more and more cutting into the sells of used copies, price drops etc.
Then there's always money to be made from DLC, which works best with a huge userbase (who got in for "free" nonetheless).

Okay, I just bought a PS4 yesterday, and downloaded a bunch of demos and Flower. I skipped getting a PS3 (and Vita), but I remember hearing good things about Playstation Plus. But now with PS4, is it really worth it any longer? 50 euros a year doesn't sound like much, and getting 10% off when downloading some games seems nice, but when I looked at the list of free games currently available for PS+ users, it didn't look very good. And losing access to those games when subscription runs out is a bit off-putting.

My gaming habits are quite erratic, when I'm busy with other stuff I may spend a month or two without touching any of my consoles. Maybe PS+ is just not for me.

jimbor

Banned
Okay, I just bought a PS4 yesterday, and downloaded a bunch of demos and Flower. I skipped getting a PS3 (and Vita), but I remember hearing good things about Playstation Plus. But now with PS4, is it really worth it any longer? 50 euros a year doesn't sound like much, and getting 10% off when downloading some games seems nice, but when I looked at the list of free games currently available for PS+ users, it didn't look very good. And losing access to those games when subscription runs out is a bit off-putting.

My gaming habits are quite erratic, when I'm busy with other stuff I may spend a month or two without touching any of my consoles. Maybe PS+ is just not for me.

If you want to play online, you're going to need it.

You could try buying it for 1 month on November 4th, that should let you collect October, November and December's games.

If you want to play online, you're going to need it.

I played a couple of free-to-play games online today, and I think they may be enough to fill my online gaming needs (and then I can play Mario Kart if I need more.)

You could try buying it for 1 month on November 4th, that should let you collect October, November and December's games.

The console came with 2 weeks amount of free PS+ subscription, I was thinking what might be the best time to activate it...

Christhor

I think most people will still buy the stuff they are really interested in (day one, unless it's on PS+ already then :p ). For the rest, people have always been reluctant to pay full price or any money at all, so maybe PS+ is more and more cutting into the sells of used copies, price drops etc.
Then there's always money to be made from DLC, which works best with a huge userbase (who got in for "free" nonetheless).

I've actually newer bought an indie title since PS+ started up. Before it seemed like an alright thing to spend my money on, but now that a lot of the better indie titles will end up on PS+ eventually, it seems like a waste. Unless it's a friend of mine who's made the game, I'm never going to spend money on indie titles again.

I played a couple of free-to-play games online today, and I think they may be enough to fill my online gaming needs (and then I can play Mario Kart if I need more.)

The console came with 2 weeks amount of free PS+ subscription, I was thinking what might be the best time to activate it...

Ah ok, If you activate it tomorrow you'll be able to get this month's games, next month's will become available on Wednesday. But I mainly use it for Vita games rather than console games.

Oh, shit. Was not aware that the PS4 version of Spelunky was coming out today and we're getting it for free. Very nice. Now I can try it out. I've never played Spelunky so this should be interesting.

olimpia84

So glad I held off from buying Spelunky in the past PSN flash sales. Can't wait to try that and Driveclub free version.

European PS+ update when?
Tomorrow.

Entering PS Plus:
8th October: Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
8th / 10th October: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition (PS4)
8th October: Dust: An Elysian Tail (PS4)
8th October: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3)
8th October: Pix the Cat (PS Vita/PS4 Cross Buy)
8th October: Rainbow Moon (PS Vita/PS3 Cross Buy)
8th October: Spelunky (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...october-driveclub-spelunky-dust-elysian-tale/

Top Bottom