• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Joni

I wonder if it would be easy to port 999 to the VLR engine and re-release on the Vita and the 3DS. They could do that before they make the third Zero Escape.

Baleoce

My download list can't hold them all, because it doesn't know how to sort them properly >.> They really need to do something about that..

Does anyone else worry the amount of games offered will start going down once the PS4 is released? like we will go down to 1 game a month on each platform?

Can't see how sony can afford all these cross platform games.

Joni

Does anyone else worry the amount of games offered will start going down once the PS4 is released? like we will go down to 1 game a month on each platform?

I'm starting to think giving the games away is a lot cheaper than we think. Let's suppose they'll reduce the number of games they'll be giving away on the PS3 so the total is still about 50 games: they're still thinking it leaves enough money to improve the PSN. At first I presumed they were just willing to take a loss on Plus to gain consumers, but if they're actually making money on it; their deals must be good.

MAX PAYMENT

So if I missed a psn+ game I wanted (I am not a subscriber), will I ever be able to get it if I do sign up?
If I sign up now, does that mean I have completely missed my chance to ever get any of the previous "free" games?

BibiMaghoo

I think the average number of games will remain the same, but they will be split over another platform, so those who are just looking for games on one platform, will in fact see less games for that platform.

It is very, very clever if you think about it, because being a subscriber encourages you to own all the platforms the games are coming for. How many people have looked at getting a Vita because they are already a PS3 PS+ member?

I think this will drive PS4 sales in small part. As of release, PS3/Vita owners that are also subbers will be 'paying' for PS4 games as well. They will want to play them, and it gives a push to own the extra systems.

gblues

Banned
I think the average number of games will remain the same, but they will be split over another platform, so those who are just looking for games on one platform, will in fact see less games for that platform.

It is very, very clever if you think about it, because being a subscriber encourages you to own all the platforms the games are coming for. How many people have looked at getting a Vita because they are already a PS3 PS+ member?

I think this will drive PS4 sales in small part. As of release, PS3/Vita owners that are also subbers will be 'paying' for PS4 games as well. They will want to play them, and it gives a push to own the extra systems.

That's me. I can't afford it right now, but I know that when I do, I've got at least half a dozen games to play on it Day 1. That's pretty damn awesome if you ask me. :)

BibiMaghoo

That's me. I can't afford it right now, but I know that when I do, I've got at least half a dozen games to play on it Day 1. That's pretty damn awesome if you ask me. :)

It is a great thing for Sony to sell the hardware, along with the remote play feature on PS4. They have positioned it very well in these regards.

My only concern - which is currently unfounded - is that it will result in third parties abandoning the Vita. If most of the best software for Vita has, is, or will be available on PS+, it leads to people simply not buying any games for the hardware. I picked up a Vita last October, and have only purchased 2 retail games for it, the rest have been PS+ freebies.

But from an outside point of view, it means that software sales may be lackluster at best, because we may all hold off to get the games on our sub instead. It might really skew the perceived attach rate for the hardware.

We will all have dozens of games, but have only purchased a handful of them.
This isn't really a problem for PS3, which has a much larger catalogue, and I expect the same to be the case with PS4 down the line.

I hope this doesn't happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I think the only thing that could truly kill Plus would be if used games were axed. I think the primary advantage for publishers is that they get more cash from a product they created a few years ago, once the sales have trailed off. At a certain point, people are just recycling the same used copies in and out. But at least with Plus they get an upfront amount of money and their game gets put into the hands of tons of people who didn't try it before, just in time for the next game. I wouldn't be shocked if publishers approach them to see if they can get in on the action.

Xcom got added less than a year after it was released, probably because its a niche title that sold all it could on the PS3 when it came out. They got a new game in the franchise coming out soon, mind as well get people excited for that. Spec Ops probably happened because of low sales.

I don't think we'll ever see something like a Call of Duty or a Madden added to Plus within a year of their release because those games sell consistently for a high price though the year. There is no advantage in those situation because new copies of it still sell very well.

I don't think things will change very much with the PS4. Games are still going to sell a lot of copies during the first couple months, but then gamers move on to the next craze. Nowadays we jump from hype over AAA game to the one coming out the next month. Sales are usually pretty front loaded for a lot of those titles. So a year or two later, publishers take any advantage they can to continue the viability of the franchise, make money and push dlc to...well make more money.

Plus on the PS3 will keep chugging along just fine. PS4 might have some slow periods until there are more titles released into retail. Sony is probably going to take a hit and pay out the ass to get some titles in 2014 earlier than the publishers would usually agree to it under normal circumstances. But they'll have a bigger bankroll to play with since nearly everyone will have Plus AND the userbase is smaller, so I don't think publishers will mind get a fat check out of their intial outing on the PS4.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I think PS plus is going to make me upgrade my hard drive for the first time in like 4 years, obviously i'm kinda hesitant. Wouldn't mind sticking a terabyte in there.

th3dude

Even though I don't own a vita, I should probably be adding all the free vita games to my library if there's a chance I'll get a vita later, no?

bebop242

So if I missed a psn+ game I wanted (I am not a subscriber), will I ever be able to get it if I do sign up?
If I sign up now, does that mean I have completely missed my chance to ever get any of the previous "free" games?

Pretty much. They have done some reruns as a bonus in addition to the normal content but its rare and its only been PS1 or old Sega games. I doubt you will see full retail titles getting put up again as a bonus.

I think PS plus is going to make me upgrade my hard drive for the first time in like 4 years, obviously i'm kinda hesitant. Wouldn't mind sticking a terabyte in there.
And when you get a PS4 you can use it as an instant double up of the space on it. win win :)

Bauer91

Did anyone upgrade to an HDD with 8MB cache memory? Apparently the stock one that's in the PS3 has 16MB so would a bigger, 8MB one load stuff slower?

Actually:

According to Impress, the 20 Gig PS3 includes a Seagate LD25.1 hard disk running at 5,400rpm and with a cache of 2 megabytes. The 60 Gig PS3 has a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 running at 5,400rpm with a cache of 8 megabytes.

So an 8MB HDD should be fine.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hope not. The iOS port removed all the gameplay content.
If it's a different system you need to use the transfer tool instead. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know the details.
Yeah, but if one of these two PS3s is dead, you're SOL... can't use the transfer tool when one PS3 won't even start. :(

Well, at first it'll be only 1 game a month, but that's expected, since the PS4 library will be so small. A few years down the line, it'll hopefully be chock full of free games like the PS3+ is now.

Jubern

I don't know if you guys already talked about it, but the EU store has a (very) little banner announcing "Summer sales - 17/7-28/8".

It's plastered on the TLOU display too, so I guess we can expect it to be part of the sale!

BibiMaghoo

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

(your PSVITA; not just standby, but fully off)

Yes, sadly. The only thing left for me to try is to wipe all the data and start again, but I played several missions before realising the trophies had not popped. Was hoping to avoid playing all of them again.

Ephemeris

Any 9.5mm 2.5" SATA drive should work. The 12.5mm ones are too tall and don't fit inside the HDD caddy.

They don't expire. They used to say something like 6 months, but they never actually deleted anything after the 6 months and now they're just saying:

I wondered about that myself. I have a friend that may be relieved to find his Dark souls saves may be fine after all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I love how that rental chart in the OP shows PSP titles as PSP2 titles. Hilarious given they look horrible blown up on the system.

Yes, sadly. The only thing left for me to try is to wipe all the data and start again, but I played several missions before realising the trophies had not popped. Was hoping to avoid playing all of them again.

Back up save to cloud.

Delete game. Redownload. Play game without cloud save. Trophy should pop. Go back to cloud, grab the save you were using before. ?????. PROFIT?

Noahd41

Neo Member
Anyone else just finish up with Deus Ex? I know they removed it from the store but I managed to grab it just before that happened. It was really good. Possibly one of the best games I've played this generation (still haven't got to Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us yet). I really enjoyed this.

Did anyone play the DLC? Is it worth it?

BibiMaghoo

Thank you TheSeks, that worked, and popped two trophies when I finished, the training course one, and 'unstoppable' for a high score or something.

nice one.

Weird I had to download it again though. I wonder what the problem was.

Pimpbaa

I love how that rental chart in the OP shows PSP titles as PSP2 titles. Hilarious given they look horrible blown up on the system.

Except they don't look horrible. 4 pixels on the vita screen represents 1 PSP pixel perfectly. If it didn't, THEN it would look horrible.

There is kind-of-a-deal for PS+ in the UK. It's related the new Now TV PS3 app released a few days ago.

If you sign up for a 30-day trial at nowtv.com/ps3 with the offer code PS3OFFER, they'll give you 90 days of PS+ for free. The catches are that you have to watch 90 minutes of stuff through the Now TV app to qualify for the free PS+ sub, and the PS+ sub will be sent through the mail.

Joni

I was wondering what happened to those. I have a few PS1 games like Lilo and Stitch on my account but noticed there had been no new ones in forever.

For SCEE it was simple: they could simply not find enough good games to publish on Plus.

This might be a leak:
The top banner on PlayStation's official forums has Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD as the next free game for PS+ for this week. Battlefield 3 is shown, but it doesn't have the NEW tab on it.

WAitbb8.jpg

Noahd41

Neo Member
Any free one month PS+ deals for Canada? I need to use the cloud to transfer my Demon's Souls save file to a new PS3 after my old one YLOD.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
saints row and battlefield 3, getting some good games now

Top Bottom