• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store Brazil now allows to pay games in up of 4 installments

Draugoth

Gold Member

Looks like the Brasil PlayStation Store allows you to pay for digital games / add on content in up to 4 installments via the PlayStation app. Unclear if this BNPL model will roll out to other markets. Will benefit gamers in markets where high upfront costs are restrictive.

GPfBJ4JbYAAedD0
GPfBJ4JbAAAvQts

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thats a win because games here in Brazil are damn expensive, not to mention places like Lojas Americanas, Magazine Luiza you can already do that for both gift cards and physical disks.
The win would be subsidising the cost for lower income nations and consumers.

Stuff like that is always more beneficial to the companies than the consumers.
What do you mean?

We have several payment plan processors in Canada when ordering online, and they cost nothing for the consumer. It just splits the total between four payments, with no fees. I've used it several times despite having plenty of funds just because there is no down-side. I can keep money in my own accounts for as long as possible, earning interest.

nush

Stuff like that is always more beneficial to the companies than the consumers.
Yes. How does it work, you pay for a quarter of the games price and get to play it right away? Then what happens when you don't make the next payment? Did you finish the game before payment 2 and don't care if it's taken away?

Fake

Gold Member
The win would be subsidising the cost for lower income nations and consumers.

Many products in Brazil already do that, so I don't quite get your point. The real solution would be the removal of tax they put into games, but no chance. We are trying to remove tax from games for decades with no results so far.

There is no much to discuss when the subject is about poor countries like Brazil.

Last edited:

Fabieter

What do you mean?

We have several payment plan processors in Canada when ordering online, and they cost nothing for the consumer. It just splits the total between four payments, with no fees. I've used it several times despite having plenty of funds just because there is no down-side. I can keep money in my own accounts for as long as possible, earning interest.

Well no downsides if you know what you are doing I guess.

feynoob

Banned
Thats a win because games here in Brazil are damn expensive, not to mention places like Lojas Americanas, Magazine Luiza you can already do that for both gift cards and physical disks.
It's easy to get in to a debt that way.

Some people are irresponsible with these type of purchases.

Guilty_AI

Many products in Brazil already do that, so I don't quite get your point. The real solution would be remove the tax they put into games, but no chance.

There is no much to discuss when the subject is about poor countries like Brazil.
The bigger issue are taxes on hardware. PC parts and consoles are easily double their original price range. On games, at least digital, unless they have regional pricing like on some PC stores, they just do 1:1 conversions, ending up with R$350 games or even $500

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Many products in Brazil already do that, so I don't quite get your point. The real solution would be the remove of tax they put into games, but no chance. We are doing this foi decades with no results.

My point is that enabling a payment plan for a single video game (4 instillments) is not a win at all.

Fake

Gold Member
It's easy to get in to a debt that way.

Some people are irresponsible with these type of purchases.

Agree, but again, some folks here in neoGAF told me that 'more options are always better', so we are at the mercy of the consumer to do the right thing.

I installment many objects, not only games here BTW. People just need to know their limits.
The bigger issue are taxes on hardware. PC parts and consoles are easily double their original price range. On games, at least digital, unless they have regional pricing like on some PC stores, they just do 1:1 conversions, ending up with R$350 games or even $500

Yeah this is an old problem countries like Brazil have to face. We get prices like x4 the original price.

I remember PS4 launch price to be like R$ 7.000,00~9.000,00. Is very absurd.

I still find funny looking for games digital and sometimes digital are damn expensive in comparison with the physical. I got Dragon Quest Builders for PS4 at R$94,00, while the digital is R$299,90.

Guilty_AI

I still find funny looking for games digital and sometimes digital are damn expensive in comparison with the physical. I got Dragon Quest Builders for PS4 at R$94,00, while the digital is R$299,90.
Physical depends a lot since there could be stores trying to burn through stock or one could get used disks.

Fake

Gold Member
My point is that enabling a payment plan for a single video game (4 instillments) is not a win at all.

Its a win for middle class. Everyone should have acess to games mind you. And again, I not talking about predatory practice companies ALWAYS DO, but rather we have more options to buy games.

I hate paying games using credit card, but my bank allow me to buy digital gift cards using debit instead of credit. Thats the kind of option we do need.

Gonna repeat myself if is not clear. Have options is good, I not talking about the half of the consumers that can't control their habits with credit card. Thats a fucking responsibility problem they need to adress by themselves.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
Yes. How does it work, you pay for a quarter of the games price and get to play it right away? Then what happens when you don't make the next payment? Did you finish the game before payment 2 and don't care if it's taken away?
That's not Sony's problem, that's the credit card company problem and you will get into trouble if you don't pay.

When you use a credit card, the seller automatically is paid by the credit card company and you now owe money to them.

Anyway, that's great. As every brazilian, I love paying in installments.

Last edited:
Now this is a good idea. Glad to see SIE are implementing (testing?) this in at least some markets. Something's gotta be done to balance out increased costs and certain factors outside of SIE's control; this is one of such things that just seemed inevitable.

Curious if it'll stay to a fixed 4-installment option or if they'll expand it in other ways. Could they make it a 12-month type of option, for example?

When I had mentioned this idea a while ago, I figured they could make a specific version for those accessing the game via an installment model, where you "check in" every month to make another payment and, so should you not make the payment, the game is inaccessible until you do make the payment. After some time, there could be a system update that among other things, checks the status of games and any installed without having an installment payment made after a long enough time, are automatically deleted.

Otherwise, until that point the game will just encrypt itself on the drive (or maybe it's a special version where you can't transfer the data files until the game's been fully paid off, then it gets an update to remove what's basically the DRM).

No true downside, just have to remember not to buy more than you can afford I guess.

I could see it being a positive thing for some people. Negative for others.

It'll only be a negative for people who are bad with money. And, well, that's their problem. Because chances are they're bad with money when dealing with way more important things than video games :/

Last edited:

Generic

How about making these prices more reasonable instead?
Sony in Brazil demands third-parties to charge their games in dollar. This means games in the brazillan PS Store cost more than in other digital stores (Xbox, Steam, etc)

It happens when there's no real competition.

Last edited:

Winter John

I love doing this with PayPal Pay in 3, I buy 10 pieces of vinyl saying "It's only £25!" for each one and then cry when I haven't put any money aside 3 months later. Good times.
Right. I didn’t even notice PP did that until I was buying some New Order records and it showed up at checkout. It’s way better than them 12 month bullshit plans.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Make games cheaper for certain areas so i can also buy from that area

SenkiDala

To their credit, at least they're not charging more over the full price if someone is paying installments.

The feature seems useful, no negatives to it.
Exactly, sometimes you really want a game but don't feel like putting 80€ into it, so play it in 4 times might be a good idea and it's not like it's gonna make you go bankrupt.

Top Bottom