• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Totally agree. I am sad that there isn't anything else to do but try and get a better score. Remix the levels, give me a monster rush, something!

I find it odd how many different building types and upgrades there are without you really ever needing to use them. In fact, if you're going for low times, it's beneficial not to use 80% of what's in the game IMO.

I have to imagine that they had a vision while they were making the game that included much more challenge and they kinda decided to go an easier route after some focus group testing or something. I love this game, don't get me wrong, but completion time just shouldn't have been the #1 goal.

My brother has a Pro that I've been using, but since I bought this game on my account, I can't download it to his Pro :(

I'm dying to see how much better it looks because it's already one of the cleanest looking PSVR games.

I find it odd how many different building types and upgrades there are without you really ever needing to use them. In fact, if you're going for low times, it's beneficial not to use 80% of what's in the game IMO.

I have to imagine that they had a vision while they were making the game that included much more challenge and they kinda decided to go an easier route after some focus group testing or something. I love this game, don't get me wrong, but completion time just shouldn't have been the #1 goal.

My brother has a Pro that I've been using, but since I bought this game on my account, I can't download it to his Pro :(

I'm dying to see how much better it looks because it's already one of the cleanest looking PSVR games.

Log in as you, you can download and play the game using your account, just not on his account.

Grinchy

Banned
Log in as you, you can download and play the game using your account, just not on his account.

:O

Seriously? I knew about how we could make each others' PS4s as primaries so we could fully share games, but he didn't want to. I had no idea I could do just my own account like that though. Gonna try it out now!

:O

Seriously? I knew about how we could make each others' PS4s as primaries so we could fully share games, but he didn't want to. I had no idea I could do just my own account like that though. Gonna try it out now!

Yep you can add accounts and then download and play those games using the purchasing account even if it's not primary. Just means that even though the game is on his machine, he cannot play it with his PSN account.

Grinchy

Banned
Yep you can add accounts and then download and play those games using the purchasing account even if it's not primary. Just means that even though the game is on his machine, he cannot play it with his PSN account.

I have Tethered, Rush of Blood, and Super Stardust downloading now. I really wanted to see Until Dawn on the Pro, too, so this works nicely.

Maybe this will make him consider doing the Primary trick. We each have a bunch of games that the other guy doesn't.

I have Tethered, Rush of Blood, and Super Stardust downloading now. I really wanted to see Until Dawn on the Pro, too, so this works nicely.

Maybe this will make him consider doing the Primary trick. We each have a bunch of games that the other guy doesn't.

Yeah if you've the 1 friend/family member that you trust, doing this is a great way of going about things.

Soi-Fong

Alright I cab tell you guys there's definitely an improvement with VR Worlds and specifically The Heist.

It looks way cleaner and practically no aliasing. The dude next to you in the chase scene just seems way more sharper and solid. And I feel like resolution is definitely better.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Rush of Blood is truly frightening. I really want to go back but I chicken out just before I launch the game.

Holy smokes! Rush of Blood is damn scary! Already in the intro I was having heart attacks...

Does it get more scary furter in the game?

I am usually not too bothered by horror games, but VR gets me big and I have had moments in Rush of Blood when I "noped out". Each time I revisit I do get a bit more courageous and am able to manage a new level. Only 3 deep of the 7 or 8 so far though. It is damn impressive though, each level seemingly getting more and more creative in how it makes the environments and event visuals more surreal. The first level is so tame, but some of the things you witness as the game progresses is pretty awe-inspiring despite the tension, and I have a slew of levels yet to see.

My biggest issue is that I still get severe tracking issues when playing, the guns tend to drift, the aiming always feels off and imprecise, and occasionally turning my head to severe degrees will cause some jittering(this keeps me from wanting to push on the most). It's weird because other games are perfectly fine on my setup using Move controllers and tracking correctly, but Until Blood is one of the poor ones for me. But yea, the creep factor can be pretty tense in certain moments.

I am usually not too bothered by horror games, but VR gets me big and I have had moments in Rush of Blood when I "noped out". Each time I revisit I do get a bit more courageous and am able to manage a new level. Only 3 deep of the 7 or 8 so far though. It is damn impressive though, each level seemingly getting more and more creative in how it makes the environments and event visuals more surreal. The first level is so tame, but some of the things you witness as the game progresses is pretty awe-inspiring despite the tension, and I have a slew of levels yet to see.

My biggest issue is that I still get severe tracking issues when playing, the guns tend to drift, the aiming always feels off and imprecise, and occasionally turning my head to severe degrees will cause some jittering. It's weird because other games are perfectly fine on my setup using Move controllers and tracking correctly, but Until Blood is one of the poor ones for me. But yea, the creep factor can be pretty tense in certain moments.

I have found that the guns drift badly too, to the point that it's practically displaying my hands shooting sideways. Great game but can be frustrating knowing that the bad aim isn't always my fault.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have found that the guns drift badly too, to the point that it's practically displaying my hands shooting sideways. Great game but can be frustrating knowing that the bad aim isn't always my fault.

Yep. I have adjusted the camera somewhat to the left as recommended, tried various depths and distances from my TV, adjusted everything and it never seems to get better. Meanwhile games like Tumble and VR Worlds 'shooting gallery' play practically fine on my setup without those issues.

Rebooting the ps4 solved this for me, tracking was spot on afterwards when it'd been jittery as hell before.

panda-zebra

I don't know. Batman VR doesn't seem as dense or vivid as any of Rocksteady's previous Arkham games. The idea of playing as Batman in the first person doesn't sound like it will give me as much of a bang for the buck as the previous games. Interesting at first, but I imagine it won't have much longevity, whereas I could see myself dusting off Arkham Asylum in five years.

I'm not sure comparing traditional Batman games to this VR game serves the discussion - we were looking for reasons why you were not wowed with EVE after reading people's reactions to VR in this thread. Arkham VR is 1/3 the price of a traditional AAA game for a reason - it's a fair, honest and polished, if somewhat short product. Arkham VR is less one-and-done for me, I can't ever imagine a time where I'd want to go back and re-do a regular Batman game again, the nature of what they have you do doesn't really appeal as something to revisit. I'm sure if I had that kind of itch 4 or 5 years from now there would be any number of new titles to chose from. What I do know is the VR title left a lasting impression I'll think I'd have no trouble going back to years from now, same way I'd watch a great film for a 2nd and 3rd time, because it's very much that kind of experience, even in length, only with added participation. As for vivid - how do you get more vivid than physically taking tools from your belt and interacting with game elements directly with your hands, rather than arbitrary button pushes? :)

Bang-for-buck? I'd take 3 of these $20 experiences over yet another $60 traditional game any day! But I realise not everyone might feel that way and nobody is suggesting anyone has to do one or the other - just that many of us 10, 12 and 15-titles into PSVR are finding the experiences so compelling that traditional games just don't have the same draw right now. I'm sure that will settle down. At least I hope it does, I can;t afford to keep this up!

Anyway, the point I was making was this: EVE is not the title to wow anyone and give them those special VR moments, so it's no wonder your expectations having read this thread to not align with your personal experience. Hence why I suggested two titles that would do more in that regard - one Batman, 1/3 the price of EVE, offering brief glimpses of the kinds of interactions VR games allow over their traditional cousins, and the other Eagle Flight - half the price of EVE with masses more content and variety - a highly accessible title that does more to sell the concept of flying, immersion and sheer thrill than EVE, yet remains far more easy to handle in terms of staying on the right side of the VR sickness barrier.

There are many more games I could have chosen to offer different aspects selling the concept of VR over the experience you had, but those were chosen to counter what I see as specific issues with your unfortunate EVE demo. And despite what some say, not everything good in VR has to be made from the ground-up for it - games like Tumble come to life in VR when you interact directly with game elements, others like Thumper add deep layers of immersion that heighten the experience over the original.

JSR_Cube

Tethered post-patch:

Better lightning effects?
Smoother?
Better backgrounds?

It's hard for me to tell but this game looked great already.

Anyway, the point I was making was this: EVE is not the title to wow anyone and give them those special VR moments, so it's no wonder your expectations having read this thread to not align with your personal experience. Hence why I suggested two titles that would do more in that regard - one Batman, 1/3 the price of EVE, offering brief glimpses of the kinds of interactions VR games allow over their traditional cousins, and the other Eagle Flight - half the price of EVE with masses more content and variety - a highly accessible title that does more to sell the concept of flying, immersion and sheer thrill than EVE, yet remains far more easy to handle in terms of staying on the right side of the VR sickness barrier.

EVE:V biggest problem is its structure. Visually it is great, the control scheme is easy and the explosions have a nice feel to them. Being able to barrel role through a loop then quickly break swing the ship around and roll forward at the same time all whilst looking in different directions is an amazing VR experience, and not an experience that can easily be replicated (CoD VR couldn't do that and it felt more like a jet than a space craft) but then you go to actually play the game rather than faff about and it falls on its face. The game is clearly designed with the potential of going free-2-play in the future like nearly all games that come with a "founders pack" and this is what lets it down. Take the basics of the gameplay and stick it in a Rouge Squadron style campaign that has longevity and it would be great.

Grinchy

Banned
My biggest issue is that I still get severe tracking issues when playing, the guns tend to drift, the aiming always feels off and imprecise, and occasionally turning my head to severe degrees will cause some jittering(this keeps me from wanting to push on the most). It's weird because other games are perfectly fine on my setup using Move controllers and tracking correctly, but Until Blood is one of the poor ones for me. But yea, the creep factor can be pretty tense in certain moments.

Yep. I have adjusted the camera somewhat to the left as recommended, tried various depths and distances from my TV, adjusted everything and it never seems to get better. Meanwhile games like Tumble and VR Worlds 'shooting gallery' play practically fine on my setup without those issues.

Weird, I find the tracking in Rush of Blood to be pretty great. Are you guys booting out of standby? I personally find that all VR games have issues when doing that. I do a full shutdown every time now if I know I'm playing VR later.

Other than that, I dunno what the issue might be. I have the camera slightly higher than my head and then angled downward when I play it.

BSpot

1) Do I need to activate some setting on my Pro or is Battlezone's improvement just that subtle?

2) did the Demo disk with Rigs and Driveclub benefit from the patch??

Thumper looks really clean on the Pro, and was seriously delighted to see they added a game + mode. Did not expect that at all. That just cements it as one of if not the best psvr launch title. So good. Also you don't have to select VR mode anymore, it autoselects.

I honestly didn't think the Rez Area X looked much better, only a bit. It still looks slightly less clean than Rez. Was hoping the patch would fix my issue with eye convergence with the game, but did not.

Bound looks amazing, super clean on Pro.

Trackmania, despite its limited VR options, looks just awesome on the Pro. This is proof that a racing game can look good without straining your eyes (dcvr). Everything looks clear, even distant objects. I REALLY wish they would add a view change option. How the game is happy to force me into first-person when it deems necessary but I can't choose that whenever I want is lame.

Playroom VR, holy crap at the UFO catcher on the Pro. You know how blurry things get just a few feet from you, like the cat on the left? Absolutely crystal clear on the Pro! really nice improvement here.

Unfortunately, the Pro has made no difference with my ongoing issue which is after playing for only minutes, I cannot lean forward or back without it thinking I am moving laterally as well. It is maddening and really trying my patience. Power cycling fixes it, but only for a few minutes.

doby

Has anyone had any luck incorporating HDMI splitters into the PSVR setup?

I have my PS4's output split to 2 TV's in separate rooms but the PSVR PU doesn't seem to be able to detect a TV even though it displays on the TV. It comes up with a screen showing me how to connect it up properly (even though it is) and I can't just disregard the message because it turns off the PSVR instead.

It's obviously an issue with the HDMI splitter, so has anyone found a work around? I'm guessing I'll need some sort of inline adapter that can fake a TV source prior to the signal being split.

Ozorov

Pro and PSVR in da house! Just gotta transfer all games etc from my OG PS4. But my moves are still MIA from the post. What game should I try first?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Only tried Playroom and Rez Area X on the Pro so far but I definitely notice the cleaner look. I'm happy but I've gotta bitch a bit about the cable swap situation. Shit's annoying as hell.

1) Do I need to activate some setting on my Pro or is Battlezone's improvement just that subtle?

2) did the Demo disk with Rigs and Driveclub benefit from the patch??
1) Nothing to enable. You'll see dynamic cockpit lighting and improved IQ - especially in the cockpit.

Pro won't make PSVR sharp. That's a limitation of the HMD. You're literally able to see between pixels due to how the lenses focus the image which is mere inches from your eyes. Until we can make smaller pixels and push at least 4k native to VR this is it. Even 4k won't be crystal clear.

I am fine with VR IQ, I want more periphery - a wider FOV.

spwolf

1) Nothing to enable. You'll see dynamic cockpit lighting and improved IQ - especially in the cockpit.

Pro won't make PSVR sharp. That's a limitation of the HMD. You're literally able to see between pixels due to how the lenses focus the image which is mere inches from your eyes. Until we can make smaller pixels and push at least 4k native to VR this is it. Even 4k won't be crystal clear.

I am fine with VR IQ, I want more periphery - a wider FOV.

Actually, it is a lot sharper with Pro, at least updated games. There is a night and day difference between OG and Pro when it comes to cleaner image. Now with Pro, it is likely hitting limits of HMD, where before it was hitting limits of OG.

I tried Playroom, and Ocean Decent ... both were night and day difference between old... like going from PS3 to PS4 .

To those of you with the Pro are you feeling that the improvements help with the nausea? Is the improved frame rate, graphics etc making it more comfortable?

Ogni-XR21

After a couple of days with Eagle Flight it's become one of my essential VR titles, I think they've done a great job with controls and implementation. It's simple but so satisfying to fly around the city, zooming through little gaps, skimming the water.

One thing I'd like to see Sony do is get the console to turn on when you turn the head set on.

If I turn on my headset it turns on the PS4 too.

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat a Normal difficulty run on Battlezone! Easy used to feel impossible to finish, but now we can beat Normal pretty easily. We need to try making it a medium or long length next time. We only lost one life and we purposely didn't revive to get some ammo.

Once you really know what's going on, the game starts feeling less hard for sure. I can't wait to check out the Hard difficulty soon.

how high should the camera be?

Think there have been different opinions /experiences but I would say around head height for whatever position you are in

Edit: so I have it below the TV for sit down games then above for when I stand up. Haven't actually tried above the TV and sitting down yet though. Because my TV stand is quite deep, the camera is closer when it's on it below the TV. I hear people have tracking issues with the camera too far away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom