• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

To those of you with the Pro are you feeling that the improvements help with the nausea? Is the improved frame rate, graphics etc making it more comfortable?

dunno how would that be the case since i cant say i noticed framerate issues on PSVR, and graphics look much better but poor graphics were not causing nausea (fast movement, etc, was).

btw COD mission is Free? Looks very good too, it was hard to adjust to controls for me personally but it really looked good, not sure if Eve looked this good, anyone?

Ozorov

PS4 Pro and PSVR match made in the Matrix. Just finished the Jackal Assualt it is so clear and crisp nice upgrade.

vlcsnap-2011-11-29-17h57m39.png

Actually, it is a lot sharper with Pro, at least updated games. There is a night and day difference between OG and Pro when it comes to cleaner image. Now with Pro, it is likely hitting limits of HMD, where before it was hitting limits of OG.

I tried Playroom, and Ocean Decent ... both were night and day difference between old... like going from PS3 to PS4 .

That's not entirely true because a lot of PSVR games are using sub-native resolutions. Going from sub-native on the vanilla PS4 to equal-or-higher than native res on the Pro can make a huge difference.
Oh for sure the image is cleaner but it's not ideal. I am enjoying my pro and the updates are nice but the IQ is still a limitation of the HMD even in superdampled games like Battlezone. Noticeable uptick but far from the clarity we see on monitors and TVs.

They look better but nothing to get too excited over.

Shoeless

For those upgrading to a Pro, how are you handling transferring content (digital games, game saves, etc.)?

I put an SSD in mine, but since I'm not actually playing the majority of my games right just now, I didn't bother doing a transfer. It was faster for me to just re-download the 4-5 games I'm playing right now, and then transfer the saves over via PS+.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
I tried today Driveclub VR at a mall, i was sitting comfortableyand all and the the immersion was top notch. I'm still feeling nauseous after 6 hours later and a nap. 0/10. would not try again.

can confirm, Playroom and RIGS both look a lot better with Pro. is Jackal also enhanced? I am gonna give it a go anyway just coz it's fun, bring on the X Wing mission next month!

edit: think I will pick up Bound just because of the love they have shown VR and one of their representatives making an effort on here

spwolf

They look better but nothing to get too excited over.

if you are into PSVR, then i would say Pro is by far the most exciting thing about it. I could not go back to OG on PSVR.... it is truly night and day difference.

On regular games, differences will be nothing like that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
antibolo said:
That's not entirely true because a lot of PSVR games are using sub-native resolutions.
Define "sub-native". Majority of PSVR games on standard PS4 use a resolution-scale above 1.0 (meaning they're rendering higher than 1080p) - notable exceptions are DriveClub and Kitchen demo which are less or equal to 1080p based on IQ.

Note though - that while scale of 1.4(which some games do hit) is enough to give you 1:1 pixel coverage to the physical screen (in center, where it matters), increasing the resolution further still improves clarity considerably, it's around 2.0 where clarity is maxed out (and you only get temporal stability improvements from there).

Ammogeddon

can confirm, Playroom and RIGS both look a lot better with Pro. is Jackal also enhanced? I am gonna give it a go anyway just coz it's fun, bring on the X Wing mission next month!

edit: think I will pick up Bound just because of the love they have shown VR and one of their representatives making an effort on here

Ah yes the X wing VR mission, can't wait.

Can we assume Battlfront is getting a pro patch?

KOHIPEET

All these impressions about pro versions hype me up. If the stars align well, I'm gonna get my headset tomorrow. I want to try everything and embrace the alternative reality.

Ozorov

Ah yes the X wing VR mission, can't wait.

Can we assume Battlfront is getting a pro patch?

Nah it won't get a pro patch I think. Hopefully X-Wing will be Pro-supported.

So far I've played; Rez (Dunno what I was doing but I was awesome), Shark-thing in VR Worlds, CoD-demo (AWESOME!!!), Playroom(AWESOME!!!) and Kitchen (Amazing, but low res). Have zero problems with tracking yet, it's.... AWESOME

Trackmania VR is INSANE. I was literally gasping and shouting to myself as I played. You really get tricked into thinking you're flying through the air and doing loops. I wish you could force it into first person for the whole game, though. I'm a big boy, Ubisoft, I can handle it!

Ozorov

Trackmania VR is INSANE. I was literally gasping and shouting to myself as I played. You really get tricked into thinking you're flying through the air and doing loops. I wish you could force it into first person for the whole game, though. I'm a big boy, Ubisoft, I can handle it!

Gotta try that now

panda-zebra

My first Eagle Flight expert challenge a couple of days ago, made the video yesterday but was too busy to post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07fvgOMiJw

There seems to be plenty of route options, I wussed out a few times and took the easier paths, but in doing so only just scraped a 1 star.

Not been this gripped by a just-one-more-go game for some time and nothing is this thrilling in VR so far, so hoping for many more similarly-controlled flight games in future, it's just soooo natural.

Star Wars X-Wing mission next month bois!

Tesco had the game for around £12, I had a stack of clubcard vouchers - so bagged it for around £3.50 - got to be worth it.

Unfortunately, the Pro has made no difference with my ongoing issue which is after playing for only minutes, I cannot lean forward or back without it thinking I am moving laterally as well. It is maddening and really trying my patience. Power cycling fixes it, but only for a few minutes.

Is this at all times of day in all lighting conditions? It's odd - seems like your camera could be picking up spurious readings - are you sure there's nothing reflecting the blue lights at the sides or behind you? Or maybe your headset itself is iffy?

To those of you with the Pro are you feeling that the improvements help with the nausea? Is the improved frame rate, graphics etc making it more comfortable?

Are there any titles that improve frame rate?

There's only 2 frame rates you'll see in the helmet - 90 and 120 fps, either reprojected or native.

For those upgrading to a Pro, how are you handling transferring content (digital games, game saves, etc.)?

Ethernet - my OG was right on the limit of being full, took around 3 hours (and now I've got a brand new machine full of all kinds of old junk - but I'm lazy)

God damn, Playroom looks fantastic on the Pro (never played it on OG)

Disgustingly clean IQ - if that's your first experience of PSVR it'll spoil you (there's always Bound...). Robot Rescue was the first thing I tried quite randomly on the OG, the only thing that I think could have been better is a little lerp on the backwards and forwards movement, it still feels a touch jarring now (then again, maybe they tried that and it feels swimmy).

So far I've played; Rez (Dunno what I was doing but I was awesome), Shark-thing in VR Worlds, CoD-demo (AWESOME!!!), Playroom(AWESOME!!!) and Kitchen (Amazing, but low res). Have zero problems with tracking yet, it's.... AWESOME

One day I'm going to trawl through this thread and list all the different names Ocean Descent has been renamed to haha, practically every other person calls it something else.

Ozorov

Wine and VR. Those VR legs will be no problem��

Yeah, I guess so :D. Played CoD-demo and Trackmania without a problem. Trackmania on Pro (Did it had a patch?) was brilliant, felt it sometimes in the stomach but went over very fast. Everything is brilliant. Dunno what else to say.

Damn BOUND is beautiful on the PS4 Pro, and the most comfortable VR experience to date. RIGS is sublime and it felt a little more comfortable on the PRO. I can't put my finger on it, but I took off all the aids like I can go full commando now with the eject, look around as I come down with no discomfort.

I have an issue with the screen fogging up on my rift, has this been an issue for anyone using PSVR?

Screen foggin is nothing more than your hot skin and the VR cold temp. To solve the fogging issue turn on your PSVR set about 15 minutes before use, so that it can warm up and there will be no drastic temp change of clashing hot and cold.

How does PSVR compare to Vive and Rift? I have a Vive but I barely ever use it because of the lack of games that are real games and not experiences. I am going to hold on to the Vive because I love the tech and I want to play Budget Cuts.

What are some of the best PSVR experiences I can have today? How has the Pro helped with those experiences?

Yeah, I guess so :D. Played CoD-demo and Trackmania without a problem. Trackmania on Pro (Did it had a patch?) was brilliant, felt it sometimes in the stomach but went over very fast. Everything is brilliant. Dunno what else to say.

If you want a workout for your stomach... try Windlands. Never experienced that in a game. Was just laughing the first 15 minutes and going whoooaah 😂 Just tried Trackmania too. Is there an option to play first person all the time? Now that would be nice

Ozorov

If you want a workout for your stomach... try Windlands. Never experienced that in a game. Was just laughing the first 15 minutes and going whoooaah 😂 Just tried Trackmania too. Is there an option to play first person all the time? Now that would be nice

First day, think I need to rest my stomach some :D. The moment in the Playroom thing when you slide down then suddenly stop was like WHOOOAAA.

First day, think I need to rest my stomach some :D. The moment in the Playroom thing when you slide down then suddenly stop was like WHOOOAAA.

Yeah damn that slide was great! Watching someone play Windlands is also fun. When you fall, you really try to break your fall. Weird stuff. Take it easy with VR.. I had some awful nights the first week and thought I was on a ship. My balance had problems adjusting

Just beat a Normal difficulty run on Battlezone! Easy used to feel impossible to finish, but now we can beat Normal pretty easily. We need to try making it a medium or long length next time. We only lost one life and we purposely didn't revive to get some ammo.

Once you really know what's going on, the game starts feeling less hard for sure. I can't wait to check out the Hard difficulty soon.

I managed to get on the event today where one of the dev team hosts a game. Completed a hard/short map with a great team.

There's something really weird going on with the difficulty, though: I hosted a campaign on normal last night and hit my first swarm; surprised everyone. We kept saying "you sure this is normal difficulty?". Fought through to the end, but it was tough.

Played through a solo offline normal/medium campaign today, left two shield generators for the volcano mission (bad idea). Got a swarm on a defence mission and sniper tanks in two missions. Got through with one life to spare. Much harder than the 'hard' mission today.

DjRalford

I hate all that talk about psvr being better en pro.

It was always gonna be, it has custom VR instructions built into it that make even unpatched games cleaner, i actually didnt think Playroom had that much to improve on, but oh boy was i proved wrong when i played it on pro, everything is sooooo smoooooth, really looking forward to trying tethered as thats so clean already it's going to be nuts.

But, i still maintain that despite jaggies and a lower resolutions you can get an excellent VR experience on a standard unit, it can do amazing things for something people were expecting PS2 level graphics from.

Ozorov

It was always gonna be, it has custom VR instructions built into it that make even unpatched games cleaner, i actually didnt think Playroom had that much to improve on, but oh boy was i proved wrong when i played it on pro, everything is sooooo smoooooth, really looking forward to trying tethered as thats so clean already it's going to be nuts.

But, i still maintain that despite jaggies and a lower resolutions you can get an excellent VR experience on a standard unit, it can do amazing things for something people were expecting PS2 level graphics from.

How long is a level in that game?

Joystick

This came out of nowhere...

The Martian - VR Experience Trailer | PS VR

This trailer shows behind the scenes with Ridley Scott, in the making of the VR experience The Martian. The Martian VR Experience is based on the narrative of the blockbuster movie, and now users can experience it as astronaut Mark Watney on PlayStation VR.

"Get it this November"

https://youtu.be/FVH8eUhEZC4

antibolo

Banned

Uh you sure about that?

orioto

Good Art™

It's just that feeling that i just spent 500€ on the damn thing and i'm now getting the sub par experience with it... And i'm certainly not buying a second PS4 now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom