• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

Batman shipped pre-patched.

Really, because all i can find is this

"So what does update version 1.02 bring to the table? We’re sure you can already guess, but we’ll go ahead and spell it out word-for-word: it’s not a PS4 Pro update, or at least the patch notes don’t say so."

And it was not listed on the release day pro list by Sony either.

Ozorov

Really, because all i can find is this

"So what does update version 1.02 bring to the table? We’re sure you can already guess, but we’ll go ahead and spell it out word-for-word: it’s not a PS4 Pro update, or at least the patch notes don’t say so."

And it was not listed on the release day pro list by Sony either.

Wasn't it improving tracking?

DjRalford

Wasn't it improving tracking?

Yeah, it seems so, all i know is from [playing before the edge blur is gone on the pro and the whole scene looks clearer.

One other thing i've noticed, since using PSVR on the pro my odd wobble / drift issue seems to have gone completely now, i had already managed to minimise it a lot but it's odd that it seems to have completely vanished as its exactly the same setup, same location, same distance from the camera etc.

DjRalford

m0dus can you confirm this?

From other thread

Fwiw, VEV doesn't have strict Pro improvements in place - we hit all our metrics (90 fps and 90 hz physics, native 1080p) without any drops or stutter on the base PS4 unit.

Still, testing on a Pro in VR does seem to lead to minor visual improvements in some of our lighting and shadow elements, and texture LOD and filtering--although I've spent so long with the code it's probably easier for me to see than anyone else. It's minor, but it was a welcome surprise.

Oh. Also loading is a bit smoother even in base mode.

If I wanna play "normal" games, how do I do that? If I turn the PSVR off the whole TV loses its signal

This shouldn't happen as you should be able to just turn the headset off thus returning everything to normal. I generally go back to the dashboard, close the application, remove the headset and then turn it off and everything is back to normal for normal/non-VR or cinematic mode use.

I noticed you said you "hold" the button down to turn off the headset, I haven't tested it but maybe if you hold it down it powers down the entire system as you only need to "press" it to turn off the headset.

MrBigBoy

Just played a bit of Job Simulator. It really feels you are there!

At first I wanted to play it seated but the experience wasn't that great doing so. I had to point the camera sideways facing out of the living room as my friend didn't want to replace the coffee table :p But I had a real blast afterwards!

Goodnight Gaf :)

SO what about Drive Club ? It needs a better internal rez sooo much

Fun game but still looking pretty bad. If there was a game in need of a patch...this was it. Now that Battlezone is patched, the cockpit looks great. You can read every single digit. In DC I still can't see sh*t.

Tbh I Loved original DC but regret buying DCVR

Ozorov

Fun game but still looking pretty bad. If there was a game in need of a patch...this was it. Now that Battlezone is patched, the cockpit looks great. You can read every single digit. In DC I still can't see sh*t.

Have you tried Pro-tethered yet?

DjRalford

Had PlayStationVR since launch, and it still gives me a massive smile every time I use it.

So thats what happened, she was thinking of her experience with PSVR

UIMMerm.gif

I'm in the same boat. I legit enjoyed the PSVR vanilla game but I had to stop playing because the blurriness in the distance made it uncomfortable enough where I started questioning my own vision. This robbed all of my enjoyment. Combine the blurriness with the fact that there's rarely anyone online, and I actually regret getting this game, too.

If there was one game that I really bought the PRO for, it was DCVR. That there's no patch to improve it as significantly as REZ is disappointing.

The real killer here is that there doesn't seem to be any decent racing games on the horizon, either. I don't want a 'mode' within GT Sport, I want a GT Sport VR game game built around VR. Even if it's a smaller experience.

Also, I don't have any complaints about the 1080p rez of the physical googles. I've played a lot of VIVE and while that is SUPER clear, the image on my PSVR is good enough. Playing vanilla Job Simulator was a revelation. It's fine. Any improvement on the lens is icing at this point.

Have you tried Pro-tethered yet?

Will try tomorrow... getting sleepy :)

I'm in the same boat. I legit enjoyed the PSVR vanilla game but I had to stop playing because the blurriness in the distance made it uncomfortable enough where I started questioning my own vision. This robbed all of my enjoyment. Combine the blurriness with the fact that there's rarely anyone online, and I actually regret getting this game, too.

If there was one game that I really bought the PRO for, it was DCVR. That there's no patch to improve it as significantly as REZ is disappointing.

The real killer here is that there doesn't seem to be any decent racing games on the horizon, either. I don't want a 'mode' within GT Sport, I want a GT Sport VR game game built around VR. Even if it's a smaller experience.

Also, I don't have any complaints about the 1080p rez of the physical googles. I've played a lot of VIVE and while that is SUPER clear, the image on my PSVR is good enough. Playing vanilla Job Simulator was a revelation. It's fine. Any improvement on the lens is icing at this point.

Yeah , I still hope EVO / Codemasters will patch DC again because this is nowhere near the original game.

Trackmania looks way way better but is mostly 3rd person view . A missed oppurtunity because when game goes in 1st person VR ( rollercoasters ) it's great fun and looks fantastic.

Too bad we did't get the whole game in VR as promised.

Surfheart

Only tried Playroom and Rez Area X on the Pro so far but I definitely notice the cleaner look. I'm happy but I've gotta bitch a bit about the cable swap situation. Shit's annoying as hell.

Have Sony comemented officiallly about this? Seems an incredible oversight/desicion given how close the Pro released to PSVR

A missed oppurtunity because when game goes in 1st person VR ( rollercoasters ) it's great fun and looks fantastic.

Yup thats how I feel. The series is one of the more intense racers on the market but the choice to force people to the exterior view which is also locked to the track makes it less engaging than Driveclub in a Mini on a point to point track. You get little glimpses of how good it could be as well which makes it infuriating. I appreciate they made something that was more accommodating to those that need stronger comfort measures but for me it kills what makes the series fun.

I held off buying the game at launch because I wanted to play through it all in VR fresh. Now I'm just not fussed.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I feel like there is a severe lack of new games announced for PSVR in recent weeks. The only one in recent times are:
  • Story of Star Fragments
  • Syren
  • Touhou Koubutou
  • Obduction

Any place where I can keep a good lookup of new PSVR titles announcement?

The 120hz support in Trackmania really makes a huge difference in terms of tracking and also the representation of fast moving objects in the game. You immediately feel it when you first boot up the game on the Pro in VR. Just feels 1 to 1.

Yup thats how I feel. The series is one of the more intense racers on the market but the choice to force people to the exterior view which is also locked to the track makes it less engaging than Driveclub in a Mini on a point to point track. You get little glimpses of how good it could be as well which makes it infuriating. I appreciate they made something that was more accommodating to those that need stronger comfort measures but for me it kills what makes the series fun.

I held off buying the game at launch because I wanted to play through it all in VR fresh. Now I'm just not fussed.

I hope a patch will somehow make the first person view possible. Have no Twitter myself but someone should tweet Nadeo. The difference between 1st and 3rd personview is night and day.

Ozorov

The 120hz support in Trackmania really makes a huge difference in terms of tracking and also the representation of fast moving objects in the game. You immediately feel it when you first boot up the game on the Pro in VR. Just feels 1 to 1.
Yeah the flow is incredible.

Btw, What do you do in Rez? I look at things and press X. Is that right? :D

Mezoly

I feel like there is a severe lack of new games announced for PSVR in recent weeks. The only one in recent times are:
  • Story of Star Fragments
  • Syren
  • Touhou Koubutou
  • Obduction

Any place where I can keep a good lookup of new PSVR titles announcement?
UploadVR is a good site. Next month is PSX so expect some announcements there.

Aske

I hate all that talk about psvr being better en pro.

I know not everyone can do this, but if at all possible, sell or part exchange your PS4 OG and get a Pro now. Your current system will never be worth as much on the second hand market as it is right now, lots of retailers are offering deals on trade-ins, and best case scenario for a Pro price drop will be what, $100 in a year's time? By trading up this month you can save hundreds of dollars. I paid the equivalent of $231 USD to upgrade my OG PS4 to a Pro here in Canada. Didn't trade in games or anything else, just the old console. I didn't even get the best deal some of our retailers were offering.

It does suck dropping the cash on a new system that's not really a new system, especially right after picking up PSVR, but this is one of those rare times when early adoption makes the most sense.

PSVR ON PS4PRO IMPRESSIONS

finally got it up and running and these are the 3 titles I've played on it so far. Yes, there is definitlely a visual improvement and it actually makes me wish I played the games I have already; on the pro. so here we go:

REZinfinite AREA X
Its less fuzzy than before so the game has a solidity which most people mention. Sharper cleaner, and better looking. Area X looks sharp and you can make out the definition on the chick at the end better (hair/face) etc
Improvement score: 5/10 (Because it looked really good before)

Thumper
The thumper universe now looks sharper and clearer and as you're zooming down the tracks, its all reads cleaner and better.
Improvement score 6/10 (like Rez, it looked really quite good before)

PSVR worlds - London Heist
Well then, I must have posted impressions earlier in this thread and I might dig them out but the visuals and the jaggies didn't impress but now its night and day. The close up scenes with MIcky and the other guy are really great and almost every sequence looks way better. Most improved and played through the whole demo again loving it. The driving sequence felt really exhilarating this time. Need to get to the rest of the demos/games I have.

Improvement Score 9/10 (this is the sort of improvement I hope to see in the kitchen demo - I hope Capcom patches it)

If you own a PSVR and love to game on it, sell the pS4 and upgrade with the balance.

Joystick

Pro won't make PSVR sharp. That's a limitation of the HMD. You're literally able to see between pixels due to how the lenses focus the image which is mere inches from your eyes..

Sure it will. Rendering at native or higher resolution, or adding (better) anti-aliasing helps a LOT. And the gaps between the pixels in PSVR are TINY - nothing to complain about there.

holy shit

so many wires

I need to pick up the camera. Thought I could at least try out cinematic mode without it, but can't even set up the headset without the camera.

Really excited, especially considering I bought it basically on a whim. Never used a single VR-related thing before so I have no clue what to expect~

these wires tho

tr00per

Funny anecdote you guys might enjoy

One of my good friends and I went to psx last year. I tried every VR game I could, but he wasn't interested. I tried discussing it with him later and did my best to articulate the experience.

He seemed slightly intrigued by the idea of having a "third stick" of head movement but he wasn't really convinced that it was anything special.

Fast forward to last weekend. I had this same friend try my PSVR. I hadn't even put him in a game yet and he was already saying how cool it was. He was AMAZED by the demo disc menu (first thing he tried)I had him try a few things.

His whole experience was full of remarks like "this is sooo cool' and "wow this is awesome" and lots of enthused laughter. After it was over he immediately asked me how much one costs and about the move controllers, etc.

Also, interestingly enough, he was the only one of all the people I had try London Heist to steal the diamond without alerting the guards. Also at the end
he shot frank with no hesitation!

Spent the evening playing Batman, Job Simulator and Headmaster. It's was awesome!

I was dealing with tracking issues but I figured it out, eventually. Job Simulator will work perfectly if you're standing, so don't try and sit. Batman worked best by sitting a bit closer. Once I did these two things the 'pulsing' world phenomenon stopped, and I played for hours. Headmaster is perfect, I stood like 2 feet from my camera and it was solid.

I just more games for this thing, I've been blowing through them fast. Does anyone recommend Battlezone?

Massa

Never would have thought that London Studio would release something by the name "The Getaway" and it would actually be a GOTY contender for me. Goddamn.

Spent the evening playing Batman, Job Simulator and Headmaster. It's was awesome!

I was dealing with tracking issues but I figured it out, eventually. Job Simulator will work perfectly if you're standing, so don't try and sit. Batman worked best by sitting a bit closer. Once I did these two things the 'pulsing' world phenomenon stopped, and I played for hours. Headmaster is perfect, I stood like 2 feet from my camera and it was solid.

I just more games for this thing, I've been blowing through them fast. Does anyone recommend Battlezone?

I really enjoy Battlezone. Well worth the cash if you ask me.

Teknoman

Funny anecdote you guys might enjoy

One of my good friends and I went to psx last year. I tried every VR game I could, but he wasn't interested. I tried discussing it with him later and did my best to articulate the experience.

He seemed slightly intrigued by the idea of having a "third stick" of head movement but he wasn't really convinced that it was anything special.

Fast forward to last weekend. I had this same friend try my PSVR. I hadn't even put him in a game yet and he was already saying how cool it was. He was AMAZED by the demo disc menu (first thing he tried)I had him try a few things.

His whole experience was full of remarks like "this is sooo cool' and "wow this is awesome" and lots of enthused laughter. After it was over he immediately asked me how much one costs and about the move controllers, etc.

Also, interestingly enough, he was the only one of all the people I had try London Heist to steal the diamond without alerting the guards. Also at the end
he shot frank with no hesitation!

Did he grab the gun in mid air?

tr00per

Did he grab the gun in mid air?

Yes, instinctively. Haven't had anyone
shoot mikey
in the ending.

Had to tell everyone about the smoking. A couple of people reached for the book and/or the diamond at various times (which the characters pull away from-very nice touch) which I didn't think to do

Also one was disappointed that frank's tie wouldn't catch fire lol

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've played about an hour of Robinson on Pro. If this is where the first iteration of PSVR graphics peaks, I'd be able to live with that. Game looks pretty good. Scale is incredible.
Laika gives me a reason to live.

I've played about an hour of Robinson on Pro. If this is where the first iteration of PSVR graphics peaks, I'd be able to live with that. Game looks pretty good. Scale is incredible.
Laika gives me a reason to live.

Awesome. How comfortable is moving around? I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet :)

Anyone with a Pro running into issues with the PSVR screen going white, or all black, momentarily? It never happened on my OG PS4 but it happens frequently now. I'm pretty sure all my cables are firmly attached and I have reset my PS4 and power cycled the processor unit.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Awesome. How comfortable is moving around? I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet :)

I've been using the pie chart rotation or whatever it's called. It's been decent but I feel like I may have noticed a hint of motion sickness coming on. I've kinda made it a rule to take a break when I feel anything coming on so I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not...

Pingoreous

GT Sport VR might be the full game i don't know where these "show room only" mode rumor came from. Watch this video of GT Sport VR he talks about the rumor but it seems like people are just repeating the rumor with no source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPw7aSUbOOs&t=4s

I've been using the pie chart rotation or whatever it's called. It's been decent but I feel like I may have noticed a hint of motion sickness coming on. I've kinda made it a rule to take a break when I feel anything coming on so I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not...

Cool thanks. Yeah, I'll do the same if need be feeling anything, the game looks really promising.

Oh, since you said you've been using a particular one, are there several options to choose from then?

Shoeless

Cool thanks. Yeah, I'll do the same if need be feeling anything, the game looks really promising.

Oh, since you said you've been using a particular one, are there several options to choose from then?

Yeah, if you're feeling brave, you can switch over to traditional controls, where L3 moves you, and R3 turns you in a smooth, continuous motion. I can play that way for short periods of time before getting fluttery in my stomach, but a lot people get motion sickness once they switch over to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom