• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anywhere to get Battlefront cheaper than the PSN 30 euros in EU?

Battlefront? £9.99/€11.99 here can use 5% Facebook code too if you can be bothered, it's for US accounts though but that shouldn't be an issue.

Confirmed to be getting one for Xmas how is the performance increase with a Pro? I don't have a 4KTv yet but am seriously considering the pro just for VR...am I nuts?

Had my first Pro playthrough of Batman last night, difference is great, everything is cleaner and more solid. I've not played the Rogue One on OG PS4 so cannot comment on quality, but it was something else on the Pro.

*Splinter

i think my backordered psvr from when it was weirdly £317 on amazon but out of stock is arriving tomorrow and i'm really excited! I've dug out my old move controllers from the ps3 era and they're charging now.

i've already downloaded the us demo disc and the vr mission for battlefront - of the other games, under £20, which is best? i'm really tempted by thumper.
I'm going to ignore your £20 request and say that Rigs is the best game out at the moment 😃

Thumper is great, Windlands is a nice platformer if you don't mind collectibles, RE7 demo is a must try (Beginning Hour), Hyper Void is currently free if you have PS+. Apart from that I'd just see what kind of games you like from the demo disk.

Finally played the X-Wing Mission and the Resident Evil 7 demo.
I can't even describe how fucking awesome that was.
Criterion really needs to release a real game like Rogue Squadron for PSVR!

i think my backordered psvr from when it was weirdly £317 on amazon but out of stock is arriving tomorrow and i'm really excited! I've dug out my old move controllers from the ps3 era and they're charging now.

i've already downloaded the us demo disc and the vr mission for battlefront - of the other games, under £20, which is best? i'm really tempted by thumper.

Download Playroom VR for the Robot plattformer, it's free and awesome!

Until Dawn Rush of Blood

CEJames

Confirmed to be getting one for Xmas how is the performance increase with a Pro? I don't have a 4KTv yet but am seriously considering the pro just for VR...am I nuts?

PSVR is specifically for the Pro. Pretty much, everything is a lot more cleaner in terms of resolution than the OG PS4. I don't have a 4k tv yet either but got it just for VR for now.

FeD.nL

I actually got the 598c during the Amazon sale and they fit perfectly fine over the headset. Feels very secure compared to my Grados which would slide off if I tilted my head too much. Mind you it'll vary per person. My head isn't very big and I normally wear the headset high enough that the ear cups actually fit between the headset and my ears for full circumaural contact.

That's good to hear, thanks!

Minor update: PSVR builds for both Lethal VR and Radial-G have been submitted to Sony, hoping to get the games released before Christmas.

Paranormal Activity VR build should be around the corner too

Mendrox

So I can use google earth now?

A bit more waiting and testing and getting everything together and it will be possible, yes. I heard it works great when you get it to set up. I will test it soon myself, but things like VR Cinema should replace VRideo too. :) Makes me happy that so many people work on solutions.

Tailzo

A bit more waiting and testing and getting everything together and it will be possible, yes. I heard it works great when you get it to set up. I will test it soon myself, but things like VR Cinema should replace VRideo too. :) Makes me happy that so many people work on solutions.

Nice, thank you whoever made this.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I got excited about the SteamVR stuff for a second but isn't it just using the rotational data from the headset?

Without the camera tracking it's never going to be a good PC solution, I think the homebrew guys have the same problem with the move controllers, rotational data is easy enough (though Move controllers are a pain because they use bluetooth) but there's no solution for positional data short of writing your own camera tracker which might be possible but there'd still be no easy way to pair that data with the rest of it.

beJoy

Neo Member
Guys, is the Sony GOLD headset recommended for use with the PSVR? Does it fit and sound well? Also, when using it wired, is there no need to charge it?

Anarion07

Thanks! So, this is probably the best option in this price range? (+-100 euro)

I guess so.
But the platinum headset is due to arrive in January so maybe wait for that one.
Also about the charging thing..
If you use it NOT wired you won't have 3d audio

Thanks! So, this is probably the best option in this price range? (+-100 euro)

If you want audio quality then no, there are better cans or in-ears out there, If you require them to also be wireless then Sony's MDR-ZX770BT are a better option. However if you also want them to have a mic in then yeah they are probably the best.

beJoy

Neo Member
I want them wired. Only going to use them with the PSVR.

How about this one? Seems to be specially designed for PSVR:

Plantronics - RIG 4VR Wired Stereo Gaming Headset for Playstation VR

Ah, so in Jan there will be a new headset by sony? Gonna google them. Thanks a lot!

ctfg23

So now that my PSVR is hooked up to my Pro, which is much quieter than my launch unit, I noticed that the breakout box is louder than the console itself, even when I'm not using PSVR. Not nearly launch PS4 loud, but audible. It doesn't bother me too much and I'm past the return period anyway, but just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Mendrox

I want them wired. Only going to use them with the PSVR.

How about this one? Seems to be specially designed for PSVR:

Plantronics - RIG 4VR Wired Stereo Gaming Headset for Playstation VR

Ah, so in Jan there will be a new headset by sony? Gonna google them. Thanks a lot!

Look like shit. Also don't get a headset for your PSVR, but headphones. You don't need a mic because the headset itself has an. Also this headset looks like it will break after some time every time you put it on your head. Get some Sennheisers and you are good to go.

Mendrox

Or the Turtle Beach 350VR?

Too many choices haha :)

After a short research, I wouldn't buy these too (I think Turtle Beach is nothing in comparisson to normal headphones), but seems like people are contend with that one. Would still recommend some good Sennheisers though...

Anarion07

Ok apparently the Sony platinum headset is already out for around 200 bucks.
In the description it says it has a wireless adapter with 3d audio processing.

So no more wired required for psvr? That would be nice

beJoy

Neo Member
In a lot of reviews I read the 558 HD has a 6.3mm instead of a 3.5 plug, so you need an adapter to use it with PSVR. Hmmmmm :)

Edit: it seems that there is an adapter included.

Do all these sennheisers have a 6.3 plug?

In a lot of reviews I read the 558 HD has a 6.3mm instead of a 3.5 plug, so you need an adapter to use it with PSVR. Hmmmmm :)

Edit: it seems that there is an adapter included.

Do all these sennheisers have a 6.3 plug?

Usually yeah. If you are looking at Sennheisers vs gaming headsets you can't go wrong with Sennheiser, Sony (not playstation brand stuff), AKG, Pioneer. If you are prepared to spend a bit more (i.e. not the base products) something from Shure or Grado would be my advice. Shure is my personal favourite brand of choice when it comes to in-ear headphones they take awhile to burn in and getting the fit initially is awkward but once there my word they are amazing you don't get the most out of them with PSVR though due to what the breakout box so if they are exclusively for PSVR and not for other uses the extra money would be a bit of a waste.

Yakkity

Ok apparently the Sony platinum headset is already out for around 200 bucks.
In the description it says it has a wireless adapter with 3d audio processing.

So no more wired required for psvr? That would be nice

Sorry, no. When using PSVR, the wireless adapter isn't functional. Headphones for use with PSVR have to be wired to the inline 3.5mm jack on the PSVR HMD cable. The PSVR processing unit does some fancy positional audio processing which would be lost apparently.

FWIW, I happily use my Sony 2.0 headphones via 3.5mm cable with very little tangling issues. And you don't have to worry about battery life either.

Planet

Damn! If I knew Pixel Gear would get a local multiplayer mode I'd have picked it up when it was discounted for Plus. But €10.99 still isn't bad.
In the Pixel Gear mutliplayer mode, the player with the PlayStation VR headset wields a laser pistol via the PlayStation Move controller with unlimited ammo and must stop the other players from collecting enough coins before time runs out. Players will be disguised as various monsters and objects on the map and have several tricks up their sleeves to avoid getting caught. Precision is still key for the PS VR player, and shots must be chosen wisely! Shooting a monster or object not controlled by another player will give the other team coins and will help them reach their goal.
notbad.gif

Have had my PSVR for a few days now, love it.

I'm finding that although I don't suffer from motion sickness in general, I have 'dizzy spells' the next day after I use it (they are few and far between though).

Does anyone else experience this, and do the 'side effects' disappear as time goes on the more you use it?

Have had my PSVR for a few days now, love it.

I'm finding that although I don't suffer from motion sickness in general, I have 'dizzy spells' the next day after I use it (they are few and far between though).

Does anyone else experience this, and do the 'side effects' disappear as time goes on the more you use it?

From my experience..
I don't push the limits too much with motion sickness. I realize now I just can't play cockpit games or first person games where you move with the controller and head turn combo. If I start to sweat I back out immediately.

But there have been times where I played stuff that felt fine (Job Simulator) but a few hours after finishing I feel "not quite right", can't explain it. I am no doctor but I have chalk it up to eye strain or something along those lines.

*Splinter

No positional tracking on Hyper Void? Giving me the same headache I used to get with Gear VR.

Not a great game anyway, would recommend skipping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom