• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planet

Can anyone with Pixel Gear at least confirm if the multiplayer update is live or just planned, the article wasn't clear about that, and the internet generally doesn't seem to care about this game.

Maligna

Banned
Anyone have good strategies for the various roles in Werewolves Within?

Also, a couple questions:
Tried saving a clip of me playing this but it didn't catch my audio. Kind of defeats the point. Is that a glitch? I could hear everyone except myself in the clip I saved.

Can I hit the share button and stream myself playing this game and will it work properly for my viewers?

Taker666

No positional tracking on Hyper Void? Giving me the same headache I used to get with Gear VR.

Not a great game anyway, would recommend skipping it.

I really enjoyed it...some really great 3D effects in the asteroid/robot mine levels. Probably one of my favourite VR games if I'm honest. No headaches here.

Aske

Finally used PSVR briefly last night. RE7 demo is nuts - I couldn't believe the sense of texture everything had! You can practically smell the house. Turned everything off, no motion sickness at all, so that's sweet.

I seem to need to perch the headset near the tip of my nose to get a clear picture. I'm guessing that's just revealing a flaw in my eyesight, but figured I'd ask if anyone else had this problem and found a way to fix it. I'm surprised by the lack of headset settings. No way to move the lenses within the headset as far as I can tell. I have no issues with clarity using a Merge with a cellphone, for example. But the PSVR really needs to be positioned oddly.

somme

I seem to need to perch the headset near the tip of my nose to get a clear picture. I'm guessing that's just revealing a flaw in my eyesight, but figured I'd ask if anyone else had this problem and found a way to fix it. I'm surprised by the lack of headset settings. No way to move the lenses within the headset as far as I can tell. I have no issues with clarity using a Merge with a cellphone, for example. But the PSVR really needs to be positioned oddly.

It's tricky finding the sweet spot at first but I can throw the headset on and get it all perfect in a few seconds. Only ever move the visor around by the halo and remember the front part can be pushed forward and back by holding onto the button underneath.

antibolo

Banned
I'm really disappointed in how few demos we've been getting of post-launch games.

I was hoping that developers had realized the importance of demos for VR, but apparently that is not the case.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Pro makes a big difference in my opinion. Plus all the non VR games that are released now have pro upgrades for 1080p owners as well.

Nope. Non-VR games don't need to have Pro upgrades unless the base PS4 mode is sub-1080p. Then they need to be upgraded to 1080p, but that's it. Everything else is voluntary.

I'm really disappointed in how few demos we've been getting of post-launch games.

I was hoping that developers had realized the importance of demos for VR, but apparently that is not the case.
Same. A shame, really. Most are probably running with the mind that people will buy stuff anyhow just to see more VR stuff.

Zeenbor

I know this is weird, but I've been playing FFXV on my PS4 Pro @ 4K downsampled to PSVR Cinematic Mode. It gives FFXV a PS1 CG vibe because of the screen door effect, mimicking CRT filters you see nowadays, as well as the CG-quality AA due to downsampling.

I just launched battlefront and I go to the vr mission and hit the button to download but I can't download the vr mission. is that because I can only download with the psvr on?

Hmmmm

Mine arrived today and it's... okay. I enjoyed the VR worlds underwater thing cus it was pure spectacle but Driveclub is rather bad and the X wing demo was somewhere in the middle.

My main issue with the hardware (and I've had this issue with the Oculus DK2 as well) is that it is so hard to get these things in perfect focus. Near constant adjustments are required - I don't know if it's just me but I was hoping that due to the way the PSVR isn't really suckered to your face like the Oculus that it wouldn't have this issue.

Hmmmm

Mine arrived today and it's... okay. I enjoyed the VR worlds underwater thing cus it was pure spectacle but Driveclub is rather bad and the X wing demo was somewhere in the middle.

My main issue with the hardware (and I've had this issue with the Oculus DK2 as well) is that it is so hard to get these things in perfect focus. Near constant adjustments are required - I don't know if it's just me but I was hoping that due to the way the PSVR isn't really suckered to your face like the Oculus that it wouldn't have this issue.

Start by grabbing the back of the strap going around your head, and raise it towards the ceiling a bit, it doesn't exactly fit the way you expect it to..

This will pull the screen closer to your face and helps a lot with getting it into focus..

Also, make sure to clean the lenses, they get gunked up easily, even if you never touch the lenses....

Finally, did you adjust the IPD settings in the PSVR settings? This adjusts the distance between your pupils, helping to bring the screen further into focus..

Start by grabbing the back of the strap going around your head, and raise it towards the ceiling a bit, it doesn't exactly fit the way you expect it to..

This will pull the screen closer to your face and helps a lot with getting it into focus..

Also, make sure to clean the lenses, they get gunked up easily, even if you never touch the lenses....

Finally, did you adjust the IPD settings in the PSVR settings? This adjusts the distance between your pupils, helping to bring the screen further into focus..
Thanks for the tips, I will try this :)

I really want to love it. :p

Mossybrew

So what am I doing wrong trying to play the Battlefront VR mission? I re-downloaded the game. In the menu it shows VR Mission, I go to it and the only option is "download" but I click on that button and nothing happens?

So what am I doing wrong trying to play the Battlefront VR mission? I re-downloaded the game. In the menu it shows VR Mission, I go to it and the only option is "download" but I click on that button and nothing happens?
Find it on the web store, then "purchase" it, then download it by pressing down on battlefront from the PS4 OS and going to add on content

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hmmmm

Once you have it in the spot you want you can lock it in place with the dial on the back.
I can get it tight to my face if I want, too. I like it a tiny bit loose. Are you using the forward/back slider?

Aske

It's tricky finding the sweet spot at first but I can throw the headset on and get it all perfect in a few seconds. Only ever move the visor around by the halo and remember the front part can be pushed forward and back by holding onto the button underneath.

You're right - I don't know why, but nothing I did quite fit comfortably the first time. Just threw it on for another RE7 demo run, and it was perfect - clear, easy, sitting where it should be; no issues at all.

Played for much longer this time. Stomach is flipping a bit, but I think it's from fear. It's more like a physical symptom of anxiety rather than nausea. I feel calm mentally, but I think my adrenaline is up.

RE7's sense of presence is nuts, especially since it's a game that wasn't designed primarily for VR. The monster wasn't especially terrifying, but the house; all the stuff that creates the atmosphere of unknown dread...I can only imagine a game with the power of one of the original Silent Hills that was designed for VR would feel genuinely traumatic.

Absurdly impressive tech. Using this thing feels like science fiction.

Loudninja

PS VR Games for Next week

Fat City VR
In this action-puzzler spread throughout the five boroughs of New York City, players will use their cunning and brain power to plan raids and execute getaways to pull in the big bucks in the city that never sleeps.

I Expect You to Die
​​I Expect You To Die is a virtual reality puzzle game that places you in the well-polished shoes of an elite secret agent. You must attempt to survive deadly situations in immersive and dangerous locales. Complete each operation using problem-solving skills and wits… oh, and the power of telekinesis that all our agents are equipped with.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/09/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-12132016/

I actually think PSVR is being harmed by all these budget VR releases and not enough AAA games.
The two ar becoming connected and when you think VR it's too easy to accociate that with crap cheap software.

You must mean Fat City because I Expect You to Die is great based on early impressions.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I actually think PSVR is being harmed by all these budget VR releases and not enough AAA games.
The two ar becoming connected and when you think VR it's too easy to accociate that with crap cheap software.

Statements like this are utter nonsense to me and usually made by people who haven't played a game in VR.

Much of this "crap, cheap software" as you put it has done more to progress gameplay and gameplay concepts than triple AAA has done in the last 15-20 years.

I'm reminded so much of gaming in the 80s and early 90s. So many new experiences and ways to play games. A real discovery and progression era that I haven't seen since that time.

Anarion07

You mean like indie overload harmed the PS4 at launch?
Crap cheap software.. come on.

somme

Couldn't disagree more. The majority of games released so far have been great. Even the simpler ones, that I wouldn't normally enjoy or bother with, are absolutely great in VR.

And considering a lot of the games, even the expensive AAA ones, are pretty short, I welcome the games that cost less.

Jimmy_liv

You must mean Fat City because I Expect You to Die is great based on early impressions.

Yeah expect you to die does look fun in fairness.

A lot of people with different views relating to my comments ref 'cheap crap software'
I stand by those comments but it's cool everyone thinking differently.

I've played loads of VR games, got mine on release day and got a pro.
I love the system and have enjoyed some of the stuff on it. But for everything semi-decent Theres a right load of garbage.

I paid £28 for windlands and it's crap, it really is garbage. Crystal rift again, some people might like it and it's only £8 which is more acceptable but the year is 2016 not 1996.

Other better titles are £50 and way too expensive.

Bottom line is there are way too many experiences compared to actual games.
And most of the software is cheap and crap - maybe mediocre then ;)

*Splinter

I'm playing a lot of games I wouldn't play if they weren't in VR, and while I'm enjoying them (and completely love the tech) I honestly wish there were more meaty games available.

When one of the best games available is an on-rails shooter, I don't think its unreasonable to suggest things could be better than they are

Mendrox

Yeah expect you to die does look fun in fairness.

A lot of people with different views relating to my comments ref 'cheap crap software'
I stand by those comments but it's cool everyone thinking differently.

I've played loads of VR games, got mine on release day and got a pro.
I love the system and have enjoyed some of the stuff on it. But for everything semi-decent Theres a right load of garbage.

I paid £28 for windlands and it's crap, it really is garbage. Crystal rift again, some people might like it and it's only £8 which is more acceptable but the year is 2016 not 1996.

Other better titles are £50 and way too expensive.

Bottom line is there are way too many experiences compared to actual games.
And most of the software is cheap and crap - maybe mediocre then ;)

Windlands is definitley not crap. I am flying around like spiderman with no problems.

theWB27

So I did indeed win a free PSVR. FedEx says it should be here monday. Sucks cause the facility is about 15 minutes from and I could pick it up, but they're closed.

Already downloading some free games. Can't wait for this. What are the best non game experiences to get?

A part of me still thinks it can't be true.

I paid £28 for windlands and it's crap, it really is garbage.

Oh hell no it isn't. Skill based platforming and exploration with unique mechanics made by a tiny team. The only problems I can point out with it are things that would be directly tied to such a small team with a small budget. But the games is £18.99 (£32.49 with the accidental pricing which automatically got refunded) and is priced about right for what it is.

So I did indeed win a free PSVR. FedEx says it should be here monday. Sucks cause the facility is about 15 minutes from and I could pick it up, but they're closed.

Already downloading some free games. Can't wait for this. What are the best non game experiences to get?

A part of me still thinks it can't be true.

Cool, you're a lucky sob, fun times await you!

Only got about half way through the X-wing mission before I felt ill. I just can't handle some of these games. Im not even mad though. PSVR has showed me there are so many other ways to enjoy this platform besides from the sense of movement.
Enjoyed 3 hours of Werewolves within last night that just wouldn't have been the same fun if it was 2D. Games like Teathered, Tumble VR and Wayward sky where it's not about flying in space or taking a corner at high speed in a city street. I wish I could handle those types of games but for now I'm content in the other offerings VR can bring.

Briarios

I'm really impressed with how much the IQ had improved in EVE with the patch. Definitely makes me want to play more!

Do we have any info on the what I guess is an experience app called Perfect that's coming out next week? I couldn't find anything on it.

atomsk

Party Pooper
certainly interested in I Expect You To Die as long as the tracking is decent.

without demos I'm really hesitant to jump in blind on anything, managed to dodge the bullet on Surgeon Sim (though I hear they're working hard to fix it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom