• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

I'm really impressed with how much the IQ had improved in EVE with the patch. Definitely makes me want to play more!

Do we have any info on the what I guess is an experience app called Perfect that's coming out next week? I couldn't find anything on it.

As far as I can tell, it's basically a virtual environment/tourism piece. It just creates an area for you to chill out in. From this week's The Drop:

Perfect is virtual reality escapism at its purest. Leave behind the daily grind and slip away to beautiful and relaxing locations, made possible through VR. Visit several stunning and interactive destinations, from sun-drenched beaches and peaceful mountains to the spectacular northern lights. Instantly accessible yet endlessly captivating.

Sounds pretty much like it's going to be a less trippy version of the The Beach sequence from the Harmonix visualizer. If it works with Spotify, this might actually be a good chillax/meditation experience.

There's an "escapism" experience coming to PSVR next week. It lets you go to a virtual beach, mountain top or to see the Northern Lights. Can't seem to pin down any info on who it's made by or how much it will cost. Not sure if it's related to the Gear VR app Perfect Beach from nDreams?

Uga

Say GAF, I just bought a PSVR from a secondhand media store and the box had 2 cards with download codes on them which turned out to be 11 free full games (Job Simulator, Battlezone, Headmaster, Tumble, Hustle Kings to name a few). I haven't heard about any included games with PSVR, definitely not 11 of them. Did any of you get these as well?

Fisty

Say GAF, I just bought a PSVR from a secondhand media store and the box had 2 cards with download codes on them which turned out to be 11 free full games (Job Simulator, Battlezone, Headmaster, Tumble, Hustle Kings to name a few). I haven't heard about any included games with PSVR, definitely not 11 of them. Did any of you get these as well?

Had to have been the demo disc app or something, those games you just listed are over $100 alone, can't be the full games

Could have been an unused press / media kit?

Shoeless

Wow. I've been shying away from this one for right now, but that music makes me want to get it.

I liked the game, but it IS an adventure game, so don't expect much in the way of action. It's also another of those games with a higher chance of making people nauseous for those that don't have their VR legs yet.

I actually used it to train myself up, and I can now play it and other games like RE7 with all the comfort settings off, but I admit, in the beginning, there was at least one night where it made me feel sick for the rest of the evening.

It's also one of the best examples of the Pro in action for enhancing VR games. There's a noticeable difference in graphical quality between the Vanilla and Pro versions of this game.

valeu

i picked up Trackmania Turbo and i like the vr levels a lot, especially the crazy loopdy-loop ones. the game does something cool - for most of the levels you're in a third person behind-the-car view, then when you turbo or go upside down you go into first person for more of a vr thrill. i downloaded the regular demo of the game a while ago and was like meh, but took a chance and bought the game for the vr and love it. game has 200 levels total, 40 of which can be played in vr....essentially it's Trials (short crazy stunt-type levels). i hope Ubi does Trials VR, maybe in the same way with 3rd person and 1st combined

Lan_97

Finished my play through of Robinson. I ended up going back afterwards to platinum the game. Played on a pro with smooth turning enabled. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the game at the price I got it ($22-ish). The game is pretty short though, and $32-$40 is pushing it, $60 is ridiculous. The game ends right when the story beings to pick up. I would like the see an expanded full adventure sequel, but given the rumored state of Crytek, I'm not holding my breath.

Reule

Girlfriend is playing Werewolves Within right now with people online. Looks like a blast. Seems like one of the better online social games for VR. It has cross platform play with PC but we had to disable that option as it wouldn't connect with it on.

tr00per

Wuuuuuhhhhht.

If any of those don't appeal to you I would gladly use them!

Aske

Tonight, I played Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Not as creepy as I expected, but gorgeous and creative with very satisfying ties to the original game. I was surprised by how awesome the guns felt ("like God must feel when he's holding a gun"), and by bonus pig action. Seriously excited to play an entire RE game in VR.

I can't handle horror on a screen in front of me.

I tried Beginning Hour and could barely look around the room. I just wanted to see what it looked like. I thought it looked really great, I got a huge sense of presence.

I'd like much more non scary games where you can explore an environment.

I tried Beginning Hour and could barely look around the room. I just wanted to see what it looked like. I thought it looked really great, I got a huge sense of presence.

That demo is amazing in vr. I was OK in the "old" bits of the demo, but the "new" bits were creepy.

RoyalFool

Banned
That demo is amazing in vr. I was OK in the "old" bits of the demo, but the "new" bits were creepy.

I couldn't even make it out the first room, loved the look of it in VR, you could almost smell the musk of the old woodwork... but the moment I heard footsteps outside the door I noped the fuck out and took off the headset.

First time I think a game actually needs a health warning. Might watch some let's plays to see if there is some predictability to it which might make it less scary

Werewolves Within is amazing by the way, it's far greater than the sum of its parts, thinking it might be my game of the year considering how many laughs it's given me

I Keep recommending the Croft Mansion content in the new Tomb Raider for exactly this. It's relatively short and very linear, somewhere between one and two hours of content, but the feeling of exploring this place in VR was actually a little flabbergasting for me. There are bits that are maybe slightly creepy, but you should be safe in the knowledge that there are no monsters or jump scares to be found.

I should maybe give some good thought to getting Robinson.

Anyone losing the sense of presence over time? I feel less that I'm there and more like I'm just playing a game lately. It's kinda like watching a 3D movie for me where the effect wears off the further in to the movie as I'm paying more attention to the content rather than the effect. The most recent was the Star Wars VR where I didn't really feel there.

Tumle

Anyone losing the sense of presence over time? I feel less that I'm there and more like I'm just playing a game lately. It's kinda like watching a 3D movie for me where the effect wears off the further in to the movie as I'm paying more attention to the content rather than the effect. The most recent was the Star Wars VR where I didn't really feel there.
Hmmm yes and no.. I just think your brain gets accustomed to it being a thing and not new and special over time... but I can still forget that I'm inside a gameworld, and trying to lean up against an imaginary table..😋

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just sold my PSVR for 385€. Kind of happy that there seems to be somewhat of an availability shortage.
I really could not justify having it right now with the content at hand. I hope that one day there are games that I'm pumped about on the system but given the lack of VR talk at Sonys last conference i keep my hopes in check.

Just sold my PSVR for 385€. Kind of happy that there seems to be somewhat of an availability shortage.
I really could not justify having it right now with the content at hand. I hope that one day there are games that I'm pumped about on the system but given the lack of VR talk at Sonys last conference i keep my hopes in check.
Not to single you out but I always wonder why you and similar posters would even consider being an early adopter?

I only owned three games in the beginning with PS4 and that was all I could afford for six months, there is so much available at this launch. I really don't know what you were expecting?

There is racing games, shoot'em ups, puzzle games, adventure games, social game's, god games, platforming games and an online competitive multi-player FPS and we're only two months in to release.

Edit: I forgot horror games how could I forget horror games and gun games.

Justify what? Keeping something you already paid for?
Forget about games because whether the stuff out now is appealing or not is straight opinion.

But buying something, selling it only to buy it again seems fucking stupid.

I don't really get the wow aspect any more as I know what to expect but still get the sense of being in the game and physically react to things. I have always felt like I'm playing a game though.

It feels very natural to me now, not like a new bit of tech, the new normal. It is similar to when the iPod first came out, I was like how many tracks and showing it off all the time (I use to carry round a bag of mini disk and CD's prior) but then it very quickly became the new normal and now I look at that as such simplistic out-dated bit of technology and I expect in a few gens time to look back at the PSVR in the same light.

Just sold my PSVR for 385&#8364;. Kind of happy that there seems to be somewhat of an availability shortage.

What did you expect? It can't be the first time you witnessed a product launch. PSVR is no different than a console launch and content doesn't magically appear out of thin air. It usually takes between 12 to 18 months for a wealth of content to build up but even so unless you are a person that excessively plays games there is more than enough content to keep most people occupied, especially if they actually play the games rather than experience them. Games like Rigs, Battlezone, Driveclub, EVE:V, all have enough content and systems to keep people occupied for potentially hundreds of hours.

My exact thought yesterday when I was plugging away at some games in the backlog. I still love VR but it definitely doesn't feel as overwhelming as it used to. For me it's not as detached as a 3D movie but it's not as immersive.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Justify what? Keeping something you already paid for?
Forget about games because whether the stuff out now is appealing or not is straight opinion.

But buying something, selling it only to buy it again seems fucking stupid.

How is that stupid? It doesn't seems he's going to buy it in the foreseeable future, and there might be better PSVR headsets by the time he feel satisfied about the library.

RoyalFool

Banned
My exact thought yesterday when I was plugging away at some games in the backlog. I still love VR but it definitely doesn't feel as overwhelming as it used to. For me it's not as detached as a 3D movie but it's not as immersive.

For me, over time the sense of presence has become the norm so yes, the wow factor fades off eventually. But there is no way I'd want to go back to playing some genres outside of VR (e.g. racing) so I don't think it's comparable to 3D movies.

Aske

For me, over time the sense of presence has become the norm so yes, the wow factor fades off eventually. But there is no way I'd want to go back to playing some genres outside of VR (e.g. racing) so I don't think it's comparable to 3D movies.

I haven't spent enough time with it to feel acclimatised, but I agree it's a world away from 3D movies. Dr. Strange is the only 3D movie I've seen in which I felt the tech was both integral and beneficial to the cinematography. Having only seen it in 2D, I suspect Dredd is similar. Prior to that the most impressed I'd been was with The Hobbit; but I felt that as amazing as the HFR and 3D combination was, it ruined the cinematography rather than enhancing it.

PSVR, by contrast, feels completely different to playing a game traditionally. I feel like I can explore the house in RE much more thoroughly in VR than I can via a screen. I'm aware that's just perception, but the sense of being physically in the game totally alters the gameplay experience.

I played Werewolves Within yesterday and there some really incredible social/multiplayer features in there. The interaction with other players and their avatars is done so well.

Only problem is its still Werewolf..which always devolves into 5 people saying they are Villagers. And then people sit around pretending like they know who is lying but its really just a guessing game. The mechanics of Werewolf are always bad unless you have a bunch of actors and they are able to make shit up. Coup is a much better bluffing game because the GAME itself has solid rules.

Looking forward to the Star Trek game. Ubi is really ahead of the curve with getting online players together and interacting.

Maulik

Anyone think Sony is waiting on restocking these in store? My gf wants to get me one for the holidays but is having zero luck either in store or online.

Maulik

You all should be waiting with baited breath for "I Expect you to Die". That is the new VR gaming hotness and will be launched on Tuesday (December 13).

I played Werewolves Within yesterday and there some really incredible social/multiplayer features in there. The interaction with other players and their avatars is done so well.

Only problem is its still Werewolf..which always devolves into 5 people saying they are Villagers. And then people sit around pretending like they know who is lying but its really just a guessing game. The mechanics of Werewolf are always bad unless you have a bunch of actors and they are able to make shit up. Coup is a much better bluffing game because the GAME itself has solid rules.

Looking forward to the Star Trek game. Ubi is really ahead of the curve with getting online players together and interacting.

That is when you have to use the abilities your player has to deduce who is actually a villager and who isn't, and go from there. But yeah, that is pretty much how the game goes, but then you have to rely on your abilities to start to figure out who is really who.

I cannot wait for this game. I will be all over after Christmas. It is a holiday gift for me so I have to wait. If anyone has the game and wants to play it in a couple of weeks, hit me up on PSN.

PSN ID: Filth_Flannigan

You all should be waiting with baited breath for "I Expect you to Die". That is the new VR gaming hotness and will be launched on Tuesday (December 13).

You dont need to sell me on it!! Since seeing the trailer a month or so ago Ive been really looking forward to it. Its the first VR game that checks all my boxes, specifically the setting/theme and the Job Simulator-ish interactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom