• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeblow

I'm not that happy about the gun controller. The last thing VR needs right now are three different possible controllers out in the wild. In a way I wish that even the move controllers didn't exist at all and devs only had the dualshock to work with. (Or that the move controllers shipped with every single PSVR headset).

I mean, what developer in their right mind is going to support the gun controller? You can have a potential 1,000,000 customers with PSVR, or 100,000 potential customers if your game requires the gun controller.

The other alternative, a hybrid design... then you're just stifling your product's potential... you will never take full advantage of any of the control solutions because you're forced to compromise for customers who have others.

Ugh.
Not even Farpoint requires the new controller. As long as games give multiple options, there is no problem with this at all. The more immersive choices the better.

Flandy

I don't understand why Sony hasn't made a revision of the Nav controller with a Move ball on it and are instead are making a Gun controller that's seemingly only useful for shooters

Shoeless

I don't understand why Sony hasn't made a revision of the Nav controller with a Move ball on it and are instead are making a Gun controller that's seemingly only useful for shooters

They're probably saving that for the next generation of VR headsets. The priority for Gen 1 was obviously to try and beat out Oculus and Valve on price, which they did. The next goal is going to be try to keep that price down, or lower it even further while improving the tech. Everyone acknowledges that Vive's tracking system for room scale movement is one of the best, but it gouges your wallet.

We'll probably see more accessories if VR becomes more popular. But right now I think it was a matter of pure cost.

Flandy

They're probably saving that for the next generation of VR headsets. The priority for Gen 1 was obviously to try and beat out Oculus and Valve on price, which they did. The next goal is going to be try to keep that price down, or lower it even further while improving the tech. Everyone acknowledges that Vive's tracking system for room scale movement is one of the best, but it gouges your wallet.

We'll probably see more accessories if VR becomes more popular. But right now I think it was a matter of pure cost.

I don't understand what any of this has to do with making a revision of the Nav controller. If anything making the Aim controller is probably even more expensive when you look at how much bigger it is
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Revision of the nav would give us analog movement along with hand movement at the same time. I really want it :(

Shoeless

I don't understand who any of this has to do with making a revision of the Nav controller. If anything making the Aim controller is probably even more expensive when you look at how much bigger it is
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Revision of the nav would give us analog movement along with hand movement at the same time. I really want it :(

Sorry, I wasn't really complete with my thoughts. I think in the next iteration of PS VR, they're going to ditch the camera and go with a more accurate sensor rather than just the glowing bulb at the end.

What we have right now works, but it's definitely not as precise as it could be. Shooting is easy enough to do, and Sony probably ran the numbers and decided that with the popularity of FPS games, it was safe to make an FPS peripheral, especially with how impressive shooters can be in VR. They already had a basic concept worked out for it, and didn't have to work too hard to design a new gun controller based on earlier stuff like the Move models.

But there is no existing design that incorporates both a bulb sensor and the Nav controller that was used in PS3 Move games. They'd need to design a new one, and it would only be for games in first person that involve both movement and manipulating objects. Right now that's not quite as popular a genre, so I think they probably just looked at the cost, looked at how many games would need it, and decided against it.

Most of the "adventure games" that use that type of mechanic, like Wayward Sky, Batman or Psychonauts just use teleporting, so the ability to freely move isn't required. And the games that let you do both, like Here They Lie and Robinson: The Journey haven't sold so hot, so that's probably another factor. Shooters are a big market and a lot safer. Adventure games aren't.

I don't understand what any of this has to do with making a revision of the Nav controller. If anything making the Aim controller is probably even more expensive when you look at how much bigger it is
¯_(ツ)_/¯

It annoys me that the Move controllers don't have any thumbsticks on them it just seems like a huge oversite. I thought they would release a new version of the Move controllers with this in by now for FPS games and whatever else.

Bluecondor

I purchased five 3D movies last month when it was announced that the upcoming update would allow us to watch 3D movies on the PSVR.

I eagerly downloaded the PS4 and PSVR updates and settled in to watch my first 3D movie - an IMAX film, Born to Be Wild. This was completely underwhelming. The 3D effect essentially "highlights" images on the screen - but that's about it.

I also tried Jurassic World 3D (which I have not watched before) and watched some of the deleted scenes. I will watch it in PSVR later, but my expectations are very low.

And - is it just me, or does 3D video mode on the PSVR force you to use the PSVR headphone jack? Wow - this is very limiting. I would much rather just listen to the sound through my TV than the headphones.

3D movies pale in comparison to all of games that are out for the PSVR. For some reason, I guess I expected to be more in the middle of the movie scene (which is how people describe the Josh Bell concert video - that I clearly need to find and try, as it is a true "VR video"). Instead, you are stuck staring ahead at the screen - which "highlights" certain objects in 3D.

Bottom line, even the most basic PSVR games like the Shark Encounter are way more immersive than watching content on a 3D video screen.

I purchased five 3D movies last month when it was announced that the upcoming update would allow us to watch 3D movies on the PSVR.

I eagerly downloaded the PS4 and PSVR updates and settled in to watch my first 3D movie - an IMAX film, Born to Be Wild. This was completely underwhelming. The 3D effect essentially "highlights" images on the screen - but that's about it.

I also tried Jurassic World 3D (which I have not watched before) and watched some of the deleted scenes. I will watch it in PSVR later, but my expectations are very low.

And - is it just me, or does 3D video mode on the PSVR force you to use the PSVR headphone jack? Wow - this is very limiting. I would much rather just listen to the sound through my TV than the headphones.

3D movies pale in comparison to all of games that are out for the PSVR. For some reason, I guess I expected to be more in the middle of the movie scene (which is how people describe the Josh Bell concert video - that I clearly need to find and try). Instead, you are stuck staring ahead at the screen - which "highlights" certain objects in 3D.

Bottom line, even the most basic PSVR games like the Shark Encounter are way more immersive than watching content on a 3D video screen.

It's just a 3D movie. You aren't going to be able to look around inside the action. That's not what 3D movies are.

Bluecondor

It's just a 3D movie. You aren't going to be able to look around inside the action. That's not what 3D movies are.

I completely get that it's not the same as a VR video. I guess I just didn't expect it to be so underwhelming in comparison to VR content. I honestly think it will be better to watch the regular Blu-Ray version of Jurassic World on my regular TV with actual sound.

androvsky

Pretty much. Maybe setting the cinema mode screen to the largest possible size will help?

Edit: I will say the depth of the 3D movie I did watch didn't seem very strong compared to my 3D TV, so I wonder if there's something else going on. 3D movie depth is pretty much set in stone as far as I understand, so I'm not sure what's different.

Glix

I completely get that it's not the same as a VR video. I guess I just didn't expect it to be so underwhelming in comparison to VR content. I honestly think it will be better to watch the regular Blu-Ray version of Jurassic World on my regular TV with actual sound.

Not defending that you cant use tv sound because that is dumb, but headphones are much much more "actual sound" than any kind of setup you may have. they are the superior option.

I dont have the room required to play Holo Ball :(, tried to play anyways but it was pretty bad when the ball approached me from the floor.

What I was able to play was fun but I cant do good because of that. Thank god its the only game thats demanded this kind of space.

After I booted up Tumble VR and before I knew it, 2 hours had passed, very relaxing and rewarding experience.

Bluecondor

Pretty much. Maybe setting the cinema mode screen to the largest possible size will help?

No - I think the VR games spoiled 3D video for me. It's just not as immersive to only be able to stare ahead at the screen, and, there is little reason to watch a 3D video on the PSVR with the lackluster resolution and the headphone jack limitation.

I think I'm looking for VR videos like the Josh Bell concert. Hopefully more of these videos will be released now that there are nearly 1,000,000 PSVR owners.

Bluecondor

Not defending that you cant use tv sound because that is dumb, but headphones are much much more "actual sound" than any kind of setup you may have. they are the superior option.

Are my headphones broken, because I could only hear sound in the left headphone when I used them for PSVR today?

Although - I used these headphones to play music on my PSP a few weeks back and I'm positive that I had sound on both sides.

3D movies pale in comparison to all of games that are out for the PSVR. For some reason, I guess I expected to be more in the middle of the movie scene (which is how people describe the Josh Bell concert video - that I clearly need to find and try, as it is a true "VR video"). Instead, you are stuck staring ahead at the screen - which "highlights" certain objects in 3D.

Are you serious?! this has to be a joke post. You can't just be finding out what a 3D movie is, if not why on earth did you think it would be any different than going to the cinema or watching it on a 3DTV

joeblow

Huh? I've had the beta patch for the past month and enjoyed all my 3D movies on the PSVR using my 5.1 home theater audio setup. With no need for 3D audio, it works perfectly without headphones that way.

Also, Jurassic World's 3D effect is blah. Try Step Up 3D, or another flick where 3D mode wasn't an after thought. The quality is much better that way.

Tangeroo

giphy.gif

Bluecondor

Are you serious?! this has to be a joke post. You can't just be finding out what a 3D movie is, if not why on earth did you think it would be any different than going to the cinema or watching it on a 3DTV

You're right - I haven't seen a 3D movie in a theater since the basic roller coaster and space 3D movies that they used to show years ago when I was a kid.

So - no - not a joke post. I just haven't watched a 3D movie in years.

Justified

You're right - I haven't seen a 3D movie in a theater since the basic roller coaster and space 3D movies that they used to show years ago when I was a kid.

So - no - not a joke post. I just haven't watched a 3D movie in years.

3D movies and a 360 videos are two different things

Bluecondor

Huh? I've had the beta patch for the past month and enjoyed all my 3D movies on the PSVR using my 5.1 home theater audio setup. With no need for 3D audio, it works perfectly without headphones that way.

Also, Jurassic World's 3D effect is blah. Try Step Up 3D, or another flick where 3D mode wasn't an after thought. The quality is much better that way.

I went all through the various audio settings, but the only setting I found for 3D and audio would have turned off the 3D effect. Do you happen to remember where this is found in the settings?

I did try other videos - I ordered three of the IMAX 3D videos that you recommended to me about a month ago in this thread. Viewing movies on a screen is just not very immersive.

Shoeless

I agree. It's kind of neat, but the 3D effect is more like layers, dropped in front and behind of each other, so there's a flatness to the 3D effect, rather than the "volume" and depth you get with VR. You're also confined to 3Dness within the screen rather than it being all around you.

It's neat that it's there, but it makes me happy I never bought into the 3D TV craze.

Bluecondor

I agree. It's kind of neat, but the 3D effect is more like layers, dropped in front and behind of each other, so there's a flatness to the 3D effect, rather than the "volume" and depth you get with VR. You're also confined to 3Dness within the screen rather than it being all around you.

It's neat that it's there, but it makes me happy I never bought into the 3D TV craze.

Ya - this exactly how I feel. The 3D effect is very flat and the effect is incredibly confined in comparison to VR.

Ya - I'm glad that I never bought a 3D TV. That would have been a huge waste of money.

Shoeless

Does the new 2.50 PSVR update play 360 videos as well? I'm sorry if this is a basic question - I just don't watch movies very often.

The media player on the PS4 got patched to view 360 videos a while back. If you want to watch 360 3D videos however, you can only watch those on the YouTube, LittleStar or other apps. The media player does not support 3D video.

Tangeroo

Ya - this exactly how I feel. The 3D effect is very flat and the effect is incredibly confined in comparison to VR.

Ya - I'm glad that I never bought a 3D TV. That would have been a huge waste of money.

The main reason for the difference between 3D movies and VR videos is in how they're filmed.

3D movies follow the traditional cinema approach of filming at a distance with a fixed "frame". It's 3D in the sense that the footage is recorded with two cameras side-by-side which creates slightly offset images which mimics how your eyes work. When you watch a 3D movie, these offset frames are sent separately to each eye which your brain merges into a singular "3D" image.

VR videos use an enhanced version of this technique by using a much wider field of view and also adds head-tracking. The cameras for this are completely different than conventional movie cameras and are shot in fish-eye to accommodate. As VR is in its infancy, it's extremely difficult to shoot a proper movie this way because of the following:

1) Cuts in VR are significantly longer than movies/tv shows because flashing to a different vantage point at that rate (every 3-5 seconds) would be far too jarring for the viewer

2) Movie directors aren't just directing actors. They're directing the viewer's attention. This is extremely difficult to do in VR as the viewer has the literal freedom to view in any direction at any given point during the video. That's fine for something like a nature video, but movies are storytelling mediums and are shot/lit/edited in a specific way to evoke specific emotions or provide certain cues/clues to the audience.

3) VR video is far more space consuming than movies. Whereas a 4K BluRay movie will look ultra sharp on your TV, it won't look nearly as sharp in VR because the image is warped and blown up all around you. At any given time, you are only looking at a small part of the full picture. It would be like watching a 4K movie but cropping out 80% of the picture while you watch 20% of the frame at a time.

Hale-XF11

Unfortunately, it doesn't output audio directly to a tv. However, it does work through a receiver (edit: or a 3D tv). So for someone like myself who doesn't have a receiver, I'm forced to use headphones for audio.

Does the new 2.50 PSVR update play 360 videos as well? I'm sorry if this is a basic question - I just don't watch movies very often.

You can watch them through youtube as an option, though I found the experience pretty blurry( vanilla Ps4, maybe the Pro makes a difference here?)

joeblow

I went all through the various audio settings, but the only setting I found for 3D and audio would have turned off the 3D effect. Do you happen to remember where this is found in the settings?

I did try other videos - I ordered three of the IMAX 3D videos that you recommended to me about a month ago in this thread. Viewing movies on a screen is just not very immersive.
Audio comes simultaneously through the headphones and my 5.1 audio setup like for VR games. There is no need for audio adjustments.

Since you are new to 3D movies, there are some things that you need to understand.

Unfortunately, many movies, like Jurassic World, most superhero flicks and others, tack on 3D in post processing, and it is usually very underwhelming as you have seen. Don't use those as examples of the format as there are high quality options out there.

I told you about Step Up 3D. There is a Grand Canyon Adventure bluray I like to show off. Plenty of CG movies look very good. Do some research to find impressive examples for your library.

Bluecondor

Audio comes simultaneously through the headphones and my 5.1 audio setup like for VR games. There is no need for audio adjustments.

Since you are new to 3D movies, there are some things that you need to understand.

Unfortunately, many movies, like Jurassic World, most superhero flicks and others, tack on 3D in post processing, and it is usually very underwhelming as you have seen. Don't use those as examples of the format as there are high quality options out there.

I told you about Step Up 3D. There is a Grand Canyon Adventure bluray I like to show off. Plenty of CG movies look very good. Do some research to find impressive examples for your library.

I looked into Step Up 3D, but it's just not my kind of movie (a dancing showdown). I looked into Grand Canyon Adventure but after reading the reviews, I went with two IMAX Under the Sea movies which had a number of positive reviews. I am still going to give them a try.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The 3D Blu-ray feature doesn't live up to the hype. Scenes that look like they go back miles into the distance on my projection setup look ten feet deep in the headset.

joeblow

I looked into Step Up 3D, but it's just not my kind of movie (a dancing showdown). I looked into Grand Canyon Adventure but after reading the reviews, I went with two IMAX Under the Sea movies which had a number of positive reviews. I am still going to give them a try.
Haha, I couldn't care less about the GCA documentary itself either. I just load up scenes 1 and 8 as cool 3D demonstrations.

I have one of those IMAX sea movies as well, but I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I will tonight. BTW, I hear the Nick Cage driving movie has extremely good 3D effects. I should watch that soon as well.

Just watched Jurassic World in 3D and it was glorious, superior to my passive LG 65UH8500. PSVR 3D has an IMAX type of 3D quality to it, it is very well done, the image quality is pretty damn good. I'm off tomorrow so MAD MAX FURY will get a spin.

tr00per

The main reason for the difference between 3D movies and VR videos is in how they're filmed.

3D movies follow the traditional cinema approach of filming at a distance with a fixed "frame". It's 3D in the sense that the footage is recorded with two cameras side-by-side which creates slightly offset images which mimics how your eyes work. When you watch a 3D movie, these offset frames are sent separately to each eye which your brain merges into a singular "3D" image.

VR videos use an enhanced version of this technique by using a much wider field of view and also adds head-tracking. The cameras for this are completely different than conventional movie cameras and are shot in fish-eye to accommodate. As VR is in its infancy, it's extremely difficult to shoot a proper movie this way because of the following:

1) Cuts in VR are significantly longer than movies/tv shows because flashing to a different vantage point at that rate (every 3-5 seconds) would be far too jarring for the viewer

2) Movie directors aren't just directing actors. They're directing the viewer's attention. This is extremely difficult to do in VR as the viewer has the literal freedom to view in any direction at any given point during the video. That's fine for something like a nature video, but movies are storytelling mediums and are shot/lit/edited in a specific way to evoke specific emotions or provide certain cues/clues to the audience.

3) VR video is far more space consuming than movies. Whereas a 4K BluRay movie will look ultra sharp on your TV, it won't look nearly as sharp in VR because the image is warped and blown up all around you. At any given time, you are only looking at a small part of the full picture. It would be like watching a 4K movie but cropping out 80% of the picture while you watch 20% of the frame at a time.

Five star post right here.

I think the approach going forward (although obviously not universal) should be turning vr movies into programs (games) where a scene pauses in some way and draws your attention (by DoF or highlighting an object) to another room or vantage point and then resumes when the viewer looks at that object.

Or even better would be to film movies in a studio like naughty Dog's and build the scenes virtually.

I thought this was sony's end game. Leveraging their Hollywood power and funding compelling VR-exclusive cinematic content.

Man, playing games like Beyond, Until Dawn, and Life is Strange make me salivate at the potential for long story-driven vr games.

I feel like I should make a thread about this...

greekappi

Any updates to VR regarding the slowly shifting of the centering of the screen? If my friends and I play for a while, the center seems to be way off after a while, even after resetting the screen using the Option button holding.

joeblow

OK, I finally checked out IMAX Under the Sea 3D on the PSVR. It is an amazing video for 3D! It's like having ocean critters right in your living room.

The nightfall scene on the water's surface halfway through is one of the most impressively tranquil sights I've seen with this tech.

Darknight

Have you seen a 3D on theaters? If not, you had the wrong idea from the start. Sounds like you expected to be inside the movie? How would that work? haha.

3D movies are mostly underwhelming.

Especially compared to 3D VR games.

Was watching Mad Max, while great, and 3D effect is good, it is nothing compared to what DriveClub VR and Resident Evil offer.

You can't move your viewpoint in any of these 3D movies either, or look around in complete 3D, so you lose the effect of parallax motion that is so effective in 3D videogames. Compared to the games it is more looking like cardboard cutouts layered on one another. I mean it's not that poor, but relative to PS VR gaming that is kind of how it stands.

3D on movies is OK with PS VR, but PS VR actual games in 3D are on another level of immersion. Resident Evil is shockingly good in VR.

For 3D movies to match 3D VR games, they need to offer some parallax motion ability (kind of like what Killzone or Gravity Rush 2 do in their menus with the gyroscope controller), and also give a much greater visual field, which is admittedly very difficult given the medium.

I bought Mad Max and am getting WarCraft for 3D. That's all I'm gonna get though, just for showing off purposes. I prefer to watch them in 2D at home, or with the glasses 3D which I don't have on my TV. Would rather watch them on 4K 2D with the A1E Sony OLED when that comes out rather than 3D on VR tbh.

Darknight

3D movies are mostly underwhelming.

Especially compared to 3D VR games.

Was watching Mad Max, while great, and 3D effect is good, it is nothing compared to what DriveClub VR and Resident Evil offer.

You can't move your viewpoint in any of these 3D movies either, or look around in complete 3D, so you lose the effect of parallax motion that is so effective in 3D videogames. Compared to the games it is more looking like cardboard cutouts layered on one another. I mean it's not that poor, but relative to PS VR gaming that is kind of how it stands.

3D on movies is OK with PS VR, but PS VR actual games in 3D are on another level of immersion. Resident Evil is shockingly good in VR.

For 3D movies to match 3D VR games, they need to offer some parallax motion ability (kind of like what Killzone or Gravity Rush 2 do in their menus with the gyroscope controller), and also give a much greater visual field, which is admittedly very difficult given the medium.

I bought Mad Max and am getting WarCraft for 3D. That's all I'm gonna get though, just for showing off purposes. I prefer to watch them in 2D at home, or with the glasses 3D which I don't have on my TV. Would rather watch them on 4K 2D with the A1E Sony OLED when that comes out rather than 3D on VR tbh.

Everyone here expecting to be part of a 3D space when viewing 3D movies need to go to a movie theater and watch a 3D film to understand what it is. (or watch in PSVR lol)

All 3D movies give is a sense of "depth". (things flying towards you look like they actually are) Its not meant to the viewer to somehow move about, change perspective or interact with the film.

Also avoid the newer "4D" films. All it is, is a movie in 3D with moving seats and some fancy effects like smoke and flashing lights. Just a heads up in case you people would think 4D means being in a tesseract.

latest

ChouGoku

The resolution is definitley better. I can see myself playing a lot of 1st person games this way. I played No Man's Sky and damn I reallly want NMS in VR.

WITHE1982

I don't feel like the Move controllers have been well supported post-launch. They definitely aren't essential except for a very small number of games. E.g Batman.

Really?

I disagree. Pretty much every PSVR game I've played has Move support and played much better for it; Job Simulator, Batman Arkham VR, Rush Of Blood, Tumble VR, Wayward Sky, Robinson: The Journey, Carnival Games, Loading Human: Chapter 1, PSVR Worlds, The Brookhaven Experiment, Holoball. And I'm sure there's even more than that.

IMO if you don't pickup a PS move to use on PSVR you're doing yourself a disservice.

ffvorax

Really?

I disagree. Pretty much every PSVR game I've played has Move support and played much better for it; Job Simulator, Batman Arkham VR, Rush Of Blood, Tumble VR, Wayward Sky, Robinson: The Journey, Carnival Games, Loading Human: Chapter 1, PSVR Worlds, The Brookhaven Experiment, Holoball. And I'm sure there's even more than that.

IMO if you don't pickup a PS move to use on PSVR you're doing yourself a disservice.

They added move support to Robinson? :O
I finished it a month ago but I was sure there was not support.

Planet

Another good example is Tethered, which started without Move support. You had to use your head for just about everything and that was rather tedious. Now they patched in Move support (and lowered the price a bit) and I read multiple sources saying it is glorious. Didn't find the time yet to try it for myself, very busy week and then there also is Horizon... XD

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Another good example is Tethered, which started without Move support. You had to use your head for just about everything and that was rather tedious. Now they patched in Move support (and lowered the price a bit) and I read multiple sources saying it is glorious. Didn't find the time yet to try it for myself, very busy week and then there also is Horizon... XD

Well I am glad the people in this thread are starting to see that gamepad isnt and cant be a good replacement for motion control in many cases. Thats why we face palmed when Sony said dual shock 4 control is mandatory for all future PSVR games and the Sony fans said it is a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom