• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

Ummmmmm can we a get that on PS4 now because I have a friend who wants to know. Cough cough

You can tell your friend that the official PS4 media player will handle 180 and 360 degree VR videos, but will NOT currently playback 3D/SBS videos. However, the Littlestar cinema app will view SBS videos to a limited degree for anyone willing to jump through a few hoops.

Lord Phol

I received my PSVR yesterday and decided to give it a quick try even though I was pretty tired. Initial impressions: Blurry and slightly disappointed. So the main thing I noticed through-out the whole session was the blurriness. Not like pixelated low-res kind of blurriness but just generally having a hard time to read stuff and focus. The TV-screen looked better than what I was experiencing in the headset, so something must be wrong.
It might have to do with the eye-to-eye setttings and how I was wearing it, so I'm going to try and tinker with that stuff further. I also had some slight problems with light getting in from below. Just for reference, are you supposed to be able to see stuff close to you super clear? Like the cockpit stuff in the CoD demo or Battlezone? Even that was blurry for me.

Other than that I could definitely see the potential in VR. I had no problems with fast motions and didn't experience any motion-sickness whatsoever, but I also didn't get super immersed. I think the burriness and the feeling of wearing a "scuba-helmet" might be part of that. I tried most of demos available in the store and RIGS was probably the one that made me feel like I was in the game the most. The other one that stood out was PSVR Worlds "deep dive" demo. When you descended into the darkness I actually had to pause because of the dread getting to me. Got a big phobia of being underwater, so that definitely sent chills down my spine. No idea how I would handle the shark-attack in the full game.

Hope I'm able to fix the issues I'm having (if there are any and it's not just me that's the problem), because the potential is definitely there. If you guys have any suggestions for what I can do to get a better experience I'm all open for it.

ffvorax

I received my PSVR yesterday and decided to give it a quick try even though I was pretty tired. Initial impressions: Blurry and slightly disappointed. So the main thing I noticed through-out the whole session was the blurriness. Not like pixelated low-res kind of blurriness but just generally having a hard time to read stuff and focus. The TV-screen looked better than what I was experiencing in the headset, so something must be wrong.
It might have to do with the eye-to-eye setttings and how I was wearing it, so I'm going to try and tinker with that stuff further. I also had some slight problems with light getting in from below. Just for reference, are you supposed to be able to see stuff close to you super clear? Like the cockpit stuff in the CoD demo or Battlezone? Even that was a blurry for me.

Other than that I could definitely see the potential in VR. I had no problems with fast motions and didn't experience any motion-sickness whatsoever, but I also didn't get super immersed. I think the burriness and the feeling of wearing a "scuba-helmet" might be part of that. I tried most of demos available in the store and RIGS was probably the one that made me feel like I was in the game the most. The other one that stood out was PSVR Worlds "deep dive" demo. When you descended into the darkness I actually had to pause because of the dread getting to me. Got a big phobia of being underwater, so that definitely sent chills down my spine. No idea how I would handle the shark-attack in the full game.

Hope I'm able to fix the issues I'm having (if there are any and it's not just me that's the problem), because the potential is definitely there. If you guys have any suggestions for what I can do to get a better experience I'm all open for it.

Blurriness -> Buy a PS4 PRO! :D

That helps, anyway try to move the helmet up-down, left right also... to find the right spot, and then I also usually on the back move it up and not down as the instructions say, because to me it stay more firm in that way.

Then try to isolate with VERY GOOD headphones. I have an insulated ones and helps A LOT.

Then also 2 moves with batman/rush of blood helps more to have an immersive experience, also you could buy Wayward Sky if you like puzzle adventures (easy and very good graphic).

Download PLAYROOM VR and play with friends is a MUST.

It's probably not the case but I'll just mention it anyway: did you check if your lenses had a protection foil over it?

Battlezone and CoD demo cockpits are tack sharp even on my ancient vanilla PS4. Stuff that is physically close is pretty much always sharp, but things in the distance get blurry. PS4 Pro probably helps a bit for the latter, but the resolution limitation of the screen can't be overcome.

*Splinter

Since you specify blurriness rather than low resolution I don't think a pro will help. Don't have any specific tips but you'll have to fiddle around with positioning and calibration (eye to eye). From what you described it's quite likely you will be able to find improvements.

Also I had a pretty poor impression from the demo disc too, it gets a lot better once you get a full game you can get invested in.

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
It might have to do with the eye-to-eye setttings and how I was wearing it, so I'm going to try and tinker with that stuff further. I also had some slight problems with light getting in from below. Just for reference, are you supposed to be able to see stuff close to you super clear? Like the cockpit stuff in the CoD demo or Battlezone? Even that was blurry for me.
At first I had the exact problem with blurry up close objects but setting the eye to eye distance fixed it for me.
I've also read on Reddit the suggestion about "faking" the setting by telling it your eyes are slightly closer than they are and that made objects even clearer, so you could give it a try.

Lord Phol

Blurriness -> Buy a PS4 PRO! :D

That helps, anyway try to move the helmet up-down, left right also... to find the right spot, and then I also usually on the back move it up and not down as the instructions say, because to me it stay more firm in that way.

Then try to isolate with VERY GOOD headphones. I have an insulated ones and helps A LOT.

Then also 2 moves with batman/rush of blood helps more to have an immersive experience, also you could buy Wayward Sky if you like puzzle adventures (easy and very good graphic).

Download PLAYROOM VR and play with friends is a MUST.

Don't think I will get a PS Pro but definitely getting the Moves if I can fix the blurriness! Both those games are on my list of must haves as well :).
I can see how the 3D sound adds a lot to the experience, unfortunately my Philips Fidelio phones just broke so I had to do with my Sennheiser In-ears, but they are starting to go down in quality from wear and tear. Might have to get a new pair sooner rather than later.

It's probably not the case but I'll just mention it anyway: did you check if your lenses had a protection foil over it?

Battlezone and CoD demo cockpits are tack sharp even on my ancient vanilla PS4. Stuff that is physically close is pretty much always sharp, but things in the distance get blurry. PS4 Pro probably helps a bit for the latter, but the resolution limitation of the screen can't be overcome.

Yeah I read something about that, but I couldn't find those on mine, will doublecheck today. Thanks for confirming the cockpit/close-up sharpness! That means something is either wrong with my configuration or the headset itself. Points to it being the former.

Since you specify blurriness rather than low resolution I don't think a pro will help. Don't have any specific tips but you'll have to fiddle around with positioning and calibration (eye to eye). From what you described it's quite likely you will be able to find improvements.

Also I had a pretty poor impression from the demo disc too, it gets a lot better once you get a full game you can get invested in.

I'm a bit more hopeful after reading these comments. Definitely looks like an issue with the configuration. Was a bit worried that what I saw was how it was supposed to look like. Once I've figured this all out I will most likely get some real games. Both Rush of Blood and RIGS are on top of my radar!

At first I had the exact problem with blurry up close objects but setting the eye to eye distance fixed it for me.
I've also read on Reddit the suggestion about "faking" the setting by telling it your eyes are slightly closer than they are and that made objects even clearer, so you could give it a try.

Glad to hear that others have had similar problems and been able to fix them. I feel like I should be able to get a much better experience next time. Will try out the eye to eye "fake" fix and go from there.

Thanks for the replies all!

Apparently improved tracking is included in the new PS4 OS 4.5 update...

http://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-improved-tracking-3d-blu-ray-playback-ps4-system-update-4-50-release-date/

When asked to detail the tracking improvements, the developers didn't share specifics, except to say that the changes were derived from work with the Aim controller, but apply to tracking in general. The improvements are also applicable to all PSVR games following the PS4 System Software Update 4.50 without requiring per-game updates. The developers cautioned that users shouldn't expect major changes to tracking performance, but apparently felt the improvements notable enough to warrant mentioning during the session.

There's also an update for World War Toons that adds teleportation as a means of locomotion if you suffer from sim sickness (though apparently only on the training map) - I've got the game installed but never managed to find a game (but I am UK based where it hasn't been released yet).

https://uploadvr.com/world-war-toons-great-brawl/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Apparently improved tracking is included in the new PS4 OS 4.5 update...

http://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-improved-tracking-3d-blu-ray-playback-ps4-system-update-4-50-release-date/

There's also an update for World War Toons that adds teleportation as a means of locomotion if you suffer from sim sickness (though apparently only on the training map) - I've got the game installed but never managed to find a game (but I am UK based where it hasn't been released yet).

https://uploadvr.com/world-war-toons-great-brawl/

Awesome!!!

So what's the verdict with 4.5 releasing this week? I haven't opened my headset yet( yes, WTF is wrong with me) but would love to jump in tonight with some 3D blurays in cinema mode. Just bought the Force Awakens 3D specifically for the occasion...

TheMan

So what's the verdict with 4.5 releasing this week? I haven't opened my headset yet( yes, WTF is wrong with me) but would love to jump in tonight with some 3D blurays in cinema mode. Just bought the Force Awakens 3D specifically for the occasion...

Apparently releasing in China of all places today, unclear when trumpland gets the update

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I saw PSVR headsets in a store for the first time since launch today. (Fry's, San Marcos,CA location)

WITHE1982

Any Mervils impressions?

I'm about to pull the trigger unless there's something really wrong with it.

Read a few reviews and watched a few videos. Enough to warrant me buying it anyway. £12.99 seems a fair price for a 6-8 hour old school platformer in VR. I loved robot rescue so I'm hoping it'll be similar. I'll be having a go later tonight so will post impressions tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJL1aTtDU8k

I also picked up Wayward Sky and Carnival Games (sorry, it's for my daughter who loves the Wii version)

Anyone have any thoughts on them or even any suggestions on what I should buy next?

So far I have:
  • Batman Arkham VR
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Headmaster
  • Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood
  • Job Simulator
  • Tumble VR
  • Playroom VR
  • Volume Coda
... and can't decide between getting:
Bound
Rez Infinite
Psychonauts
I expect You To Die
Thumper
or Holoball

Read a few reviews and watched a few videos. Enough to warrant me purchasing it anyway. £12.99 seems a fair price for a 6-8 hour old school platformer. I'll be having a go tonight.

I also picked up Wayward Sky and Carnival Games (sorry, it's for my daughter who loves the Wii version)

Anyone have any thoughts on them or even any suggestions on what I should buy next?

So far I have:
  • Batman Arkham VR
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Headmaster
  • Job Simulator
  • Tumble VR
  • Playroom VR
  • Volume Coda
Volume
Rez Infinite
Psychonauts
I expect You To Die
Thumper
or Holoball
Ez

Rez infinite dude

Glix

Read a few reviews and watched a few videos. Enough to warrant me buying it anyway. £12.99 seems a fair price for a 6-8 hour old school platformer in VR. I loved robot rescue so I'm hoping it'll be similar. I'll be having a go later tonight so will post impressions tomorrow.

So far I have:
  • Batman Arkham VR
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Headmaster
  • Job Simulator
  • Tumble VR
  • Playroom VR
  • Volume Coda
Volume
Rez Infinite
Psychonauts
I expect You To Die
Thumper
or Holoball

I really love Rez, Psychonauts, and Thumper. IEYTD is very good, but a notch below the others. I have not played Volume.

WITHE1982

Ez

Rez infinite dude

I really love Rez, Psychonauts, and Thumper. IEYTD is very good, but a notch below the others. I have not played Volume.

Thanks guys.

Damn it! I had Rez in my basket but swapped it out for Wayward Sky and Carnival Games.

I recently played the demo and really enjoyed it. I was just a bit worried about level variety. I've read up on area X being rather cool but other than that it's just the same old Rez (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

edit: Sorry by list was meant to say Bound not Volume, which I already have.

cakely

Most likely old news for you at this point but 4.50 will be released tomorrow, Thursday, March 9th.

Most likely old news for you at this point but 4.50 will be released tomorrow, Thursday, March 9th.

Yep, awesome. On a related note I just setup my unit and playing it right now( actually my son is playing it lol) and we're having a blast just in the playroom. Gonna play the demo disc next, so far extremely impressed!

tr00per

Hopefully someone could answer this question.

So on ps vr I used the picture method and set my ipd to 70 (close to default) but when I used psvr on trinus vr I was more comfortable with a setting around 120. Is there a reason for this difference? And should I try setting my ps4 to 120? Does anyone have that link that has the number of clicks handy?

Dying: Reborn is seriously a piece of crap
https://uploadvr.com/dying-reborn-vr-review-stayed-dead/

They basically take out some parts from the main game and retrofitted it into VR. Its lazy shit and the VR segment takes one hour to clear and is quite shallow.

I second this. Judging from YouTube videos of the non VR version it is chapters 1,2,and 4. Makes the story not make sense. It is cool as a demo but don't buy it at full price.

Also is there anyway to fix the headset if there is something between the lens and the screen? It looks like the is a letter j the size of an ant only on the left eye.

GrazGamer

Just tried 4.50 and cinema mode with a 3D blu ray. While it does look slightly lower res it still looks great and the 3D is much better than my passive LG.

I also found the screen didn't drift for me at all and mine has been slowly drifting right prior to this update within a few seconds but it held dead centre for the 10 or so minutes I was messing about with it.

The fact it still uses my amp for the 5.1 and is still 3D on the TV is a bonus.

Ok, so last night I hooked up my PS VR for the first time.

Setup impressions: Holy shit this is a fuckton of wires, I have my PS4 setup as the centerpiece entertainment device in my living room, so it's a bit unsightly at the moment. I would expect future versions to be wireless or at least require less wires.

Comfort: Surprisingly light and comfortable, though I have no other reference point to measure against( haven't tried OR or Vive). Being right handed, I was using my right hand to guide the back of the set onto my head, and had to get comfortable with using my left hand to do this in order to avoid the wire( don't know if that makes sense, I figure those with the PSVR know what I'm referring to).

Earphones: Unsurprisingly shitty in quality. For whatever reason I was only getting sound out of one side( maybe I need to change a setting?). I used my earbuds from my note 4 and got audio on both sides so, not sure what the issue is with the included set.

Image: A bit blurry and low rez, but I understand that's a limitation of playing it on a vanilla Ps4. Not sure how much it's improved on Pro, but I'm looking to get one when they're like $299. In the meantime, this is 'good enough'. I set the screen size to large and started up Return of the Jedi on Netflix. My eyes and mind were pretty convinced that I was sitting in a theatre. So I can see myself getting alot of use out of cinema mode, especially for those big FX movies( Star Wars/Trek, Marvel, etc). Tonight I'm going to pop in the Force Awakens 3D and see how the new 4.5 update works for that.

Software: I haven't as yet bought any games, but I dabbled in a few pieces of free software and a few games off the demo disc:

Playroom: This was simplistic but surprisingly fun playing this with my son. At one point I shot the wrong character and he shot back at me, which made me duck lol. Hopefully they add more games to that, as it's a fun little intro and time-waster.

RIGS:
I suck at this game hard, as far as how to move my machine, but it's clearly fun and well made. I actually braced myself when I jumped from a high platform, that 'oh fuck' sense you get when on a rollar-coaster and gravity is taking hold of you as you fall was real. I'll probably pick this up when it hits $20. A full mech game would rule.

Call of Duty Jackal( or something like that) : I actually enjoyed this as a freebie. Graphics weren't all that, but the sense of scale was decent and it was fun chasing around and targeting ships. If it isn't obvious already, we need a FULL X-wing Star Wars game. Is something like this in the wings? If not, why not!? Are you shitting me? Or a new Rogue Squadron game.

Driveclub VR:
Yeah, all the feedback I've heard is true. The game looks pretty shitty. BUT, it plays nice and racing is one of the genres that VR was made for. Bring on GT Sport, or some other racing game. I'd love a new Motorstorm as the last one was pretty awesome in 3D, but I understand that IP is dead for whatever reason? Any event, I had a good bit of fun with this one. A $20 purchase

PS Worlds: So far I've only played Ocean descent. Now we're onto something. I've always been fascinated by the ocean, and this little game did a great job of making me feel like I was really underwater. I was actually scared to stick my head out the cage because I was expecting something to come out. Also, when the game first boots up you're in a dark space with little lights and creatures swimming around you. The darkness was actually a little unsettling, so I can fully understand why something like Until Dawn ROB or Resident Evil would scare the fuck out of someone if you enter a dark space. You really do feel like you're 'there'. I'd buy this game just for Ocean descent, as well as London Heist which I'll be checking out tonight( and heard good things about), but I can wait for it to drop to $20 or lower.

All in all, despite the image being a low rez and slightly blurry, I was transported to those worlds and I reacted to them in a way I'd expect to in real life. I can't wait to get home tonight and dabble some more in the demos and watch Star Wars TFA in 3D, so I can say this is the first gaming device I've purchased in a while that has me salivating for my next playtime. Another converted VR fan here, and I eagerly await more.

EDIT: I forgot that I also tried EVE Valkerie. That, along with the COD jackal game, is what has me craving a full on Xwing/Tie-fighter experience. Granted, the experience was short and basically ended just as something was about to happen. But, sitting in that cockpit, the scale of ships around me, the chatter of my co-pilots around me, the realistic sense of being in the vastness of space.... THIS is what I dreamed VR to be.

I'm also happy to say that, hopefully this isn't premature, that I hadn't noticed any of the motion sickness that others are reporting, and I was definitely playing the type of games that would likely induce that queasy feeling.

U2NUMB

Ok, so last night I hooked up my PS VR for the first time.

All in all, despite the image being a low rez and slightly blurry, I was transported to those worlds and I reacted to them in a way I'd expect to in real life. I can't wait to get home tonight and dabble some more in the demos and watch Star Wars TFA in 3D, so I can say this is the first gaming device I've purchased in a while that has me salivating for my next playtime. Another converted VR fan here, and I eagerly await more.

Couple cheaper games I would recommend right off the bat.

Batman VR.. and Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Both are fantastic use of VR in different ways.

Beyond that I would say I am 100% happy with my $30 purchase of Job Simulator, another perfect show piece of VR.

Glad you like it... I have had mine for a month or so and everyone who has tried it has loved it.

Any impressions on if 4.5 really does help with tracking? It's a big reason I've hesitated picking one up. If it was cheaper, I would deal with it, but at effectively $500, I want something that works well.

Batman VR.. and Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Both are fantastic use of VR in different ways.

Beyond that I would say I am 100% happy with my $30 purchase of Job Simulator, another perfect show piece of VR.

Glad you like it... I have had mine for a month or so and everyone who has tried it has loved it.

Yep, already got both of those on the list to buy. I would have bought them with my set but had to spread out my purchases a bit due to other commitments.Have you played the pinball VR game yet? I was looking at the walking dead one and has me curious.

I'm actually counting down the hours till I knock off today so I can play some more : ) One other thing, I killed almost 5 hours last night just screwing around with the thing. I COMPLETELY lost track of time, I imagine that happens often.

WITHE1982

Couple of great shouts there. Probably the two best uses of PSVR so far.

Job Simulator is another fantastic game. My family absolutely loved it. We got the platinum trophy in just 2 nights taking turns between us.

I'd also recommend Tumble VR for a cheap and cheerful puzzle game that plays really, really well in VR. For £8 you can't really go wrong.

Also pick up at least one PS Move controller. They may get a bit of stick but they make the whole VR experience much, much better IMO.

Also pick up at least one PS Move controller. They may get a bit of stick but they make the whole VR experience much, much better IMO.

Fortunately I kept my move controllers from ps3 days, good thing I did too as I barely used it before. I also have a few of those old gun attachments and I'm curious as to how they'll work compared to this aim controller launching with farpoint.

WITHE1982

Fortunately I kept my move controllers from ps3 days, good thing I did too as I barely used it before. I also have a few of those old gun attachments and I'm curious as to how they'll work compared to this aim controller launching with farpoint.

Good lad. I did something similar and picked up my Move controllers as soon as Morpheus was announced (only paid £6 each - they're now £30 pre-owned).

If you take a look at someone playing Batman VR with a regular controller is looks pretty terrible, with PS Move it's awesome. The Move controllers are pretty much essential to the whole VR experience IMHO.

I also have the sharpshooter from my PS3 days but I've yet to use it with VR. I think the aim controller incorporates a left stick for movement but the PS Move nunchuck isn't compatible so I'm guessing it'll be move in one hand and DS4 in another.

tr00per

I don't think that anything but the aim controller will work with farpoint. And all of the shooting games I've played assume you're holding the controller in your hand. I could be wrong though

If you take a look at someone playing Batman VR with a regular controller is looks pretty terrible, with PS Move it's awesome. The Move controllers are pretty much essential to the whole VR experience IMHO.

I've heard the same sentiments for Rush of Blood as well....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm not that happy about the gun controller. The last thing VR needs right now are three different possible controllers out in the wild. In a way I wish that even the move controllers didn't exist at all and devs only had the dualshock to work with. (Or that the move controllers shipped with every single PSVR headset).

I mean, what developer in their right mind is going to support the gun controller? You can have a potential 1,000,000 customers with PSVR, or 100,000 potential customers if your game requires the gun controller.

The other alternative, a hybrid design... then you're just stifling your product's potential... you will never take full advantage of any of the control solutions because you're forced to compromise for customers who have others.

Ugh.

MultiCore

anyone playing darknet?

Yeah, I'm playing Darknet. Was super pleased to see it come across from Gear VR (Note 4 still trucking, heh.) Why, did you have any specific questions? I actually miss the Gear's aiming mode. I think the DS4 control scheme is worse, but I'll get by.

Been playing Thumper as well. What a great experience. My kids say, "Dad, how can you even manage to play that? It's too fast, I can't even see what's going on." I just smile and tell them they'll have to try it.

Need to finish RE7. What an experience.

I'm not that happy about the gun controller. The last thing VR needs right now are three different possible controllers out in the wild. In a way I wish that even the move controllers didn't exist at all and devs only had the dualshock to work with. (Or that the move controllers shipped with every single PSVR headset).

I mean, what developer in their right mind is going to support the gun controller? You can have a potential 1,000,000 customers with PSVR, or 100,000 potential customers if your game requires the gun controller.

The other alternative, a hybrid design... then you're just stifling your product's potential... you will never take full advantage of any of the control solutions because you're forced to compromise for customers who have others.

Ugh.

Without having used one, it's hard to say who'd support it. The gun controls in RE7 are great, but I'm open to the Aim controller being better.

hank_tree

I don't feel like the Move controllers have been well supported post-launch. They definitely aren't essential except for a very small number of games. E.g Batman.

Shoeless

Can anyone explain what the heck I should be doing in Dangarompa?

It's a shooting gallery, when you strip away the actual Danganropa trial mechanics. They made it pretty easy for the demo version, with the creepy bear telling you exactly who you should be paying attention to. Wait for their dialog/subtitles to appear, and then shoot that.

It's an interesting reinterpretation of how they had touch/slash mechanics for the Vita version. Curious to see how well this will work in a full game. The graphics aren't especially demanding, so I imagine that they can get this looking and performing pretty decently as a full VR game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom