• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planet

has there been any improvements or better understanding of the tracking issues people were having?
They can't be completely eliminated due to the nature of the tracking, but you can minimize them.
  • Always reboot your console before playing if you use Rest Mode, because that somehow screws up the tracking
  • Seat yourself comfortably between 2 and 3 Meters from the camera, directly facing it.
  • IMHO the best position for the camera is at about 60 cm height facing up to you. I use the semi-official TV mount but as a mini stand, not on the TV. Works great and allows fine adjustment of position and angle.
  • Optimize lighting, you don't need to sit in the dark but eliminate direct sunlight or other strong light sources.
  • Perform a full calibration of tracking lights, headset and controller, every few days.
  • Be aware that when you raise the Move wands up to the headset height that can make your virtual world wobble.
Then it should be fine enough.

Joystick

They can't be completely eliminated due to the nature of the tracking, but you can minimize them.
  • Seat yourself comfortably between 2 and 3 Meters from the camera, directly facing it.

I find that 5' = 1.5m is the sweet spot. Closer
gets better z tracking and there is still
enough room to move arms but not enough for games like Holoball.

Also make sure that the camera is perfectly level horizontally and you sit directly in front.

ChouGoku

RE7 was great but its not made for tons of replayability. I have a huge VR itch that I think Elite or NMS can scratch. Also the silence on Megaton Rainfall is killing me, a new gameplay clip, screen, approximate release date, something?!?

Planet

Yes, OK; for controller only games like Resident Evil 7 you might move a little closer to the camera to further improve tracking. But then the range for Move tracking is quite narrow. Just experiment for yourself to find the sweet spot, the above is just meant as a starting point.

Lord Phol

• Always reboot your console before playing if you use Rest Mode, because that somehow screws up the tracking
  • IMHO the best position for the camera is at about 60 cm height facing up to you. I use the semi-official TV mount but as a mini stand, not on the TV. Works great and allows fine adjustment of position and angle.
  • Optimize lighting, you don't need to sit in the dark but eliminate direct sunlight or other strong light sources.
  • Perform a full calibration of tracking lights, headset and controller, every few days.
  • Be aware that when you raise the Move wands up to the headset height that can make your virtual world wobble.

I find that 5' = 1.5m is the sweet spot. Closer
gets better z tracking and there is still
enough room to move arms but not enough for games like Holoball.

Also make sure that the camera is perfectly level horizontally and you sit directly in front.

Thanks for the tips guys. Will definitely keep these things in mind for when I get one (hopefully soon!).

LTTP Resident Evil 7 VR

Had to pull off the VR headset. Currently covered in sweat and feeling queasy as fuck

Played maybe 30 minutes and
just chopped up MIA and the phone rang
ran to the save game and pulled off the headset. I'm surprised the comfort setting worked well, was able to run in the game with very little discomfort. It's only when I move too close to objects that I felt queasy

Gameplay impression - please comment but NO spoilers!

Does the combat always just look so fucking hokey? The demo never showed combat but there I was chopping up the girl and thinking it was all quite hilarious which takes away from the horror. There wasn't too much tacility in the combat feedback - felt like I was just swinging an axe til i got her dead. Does it get better? NO SPOILERS THANKS!!!!

LTTP Resident Evil 7 VR

Had to pull off the VR headset. Currently covered in sweat and feeling queasy as fuck

Played maybe 30 minutes and
just chopped up MIA and the phone rang
ran to the save game and pulled off the headset. I'm surprised the comfort setting worked well, was able to run in the game with very little discomfort. It's only when I move too close to objects that I felt queasy

Gameplay impression - please comment but NO spoilers!

Does the combat always just look so fucking hokey? The demo never showed combat but there I was chopping up the girl and thinking it was all quite hilarious which takes away from the horror. There wasn't too much tacility in the combat feedback - felt like I was just swinging an axe til i got her dead. Does it get better? NO SPOILERS THANKS!!!!

To answer your spoiler: Yes, it gets better.

gmoran

I don't think you should need to re-calibrate tracking lights unless something changes, certainly not something I bother with and my tracking has been excellent for several weeks now.

gmoran

Man I'm pretty mad at myself. Had a great opportunity to get a pre-owned bundle, barely used with everything included plus some games for a good price, but I hesitated since it's still pretty pricey and someone else snatched it before I could. Now I'm just constantly updating Blocket and Tradera (Swedish craigslist and ebay), hoping for a good deal to show up. Too bad Sony hasn't bothered with any bundles here in Sweden.

On another note has there been any improvements or better understanding of the tracking issues people were having?

Here is my list of things to do to optimise tracking that I send out to new PSVR buddies:

Initial Setup:
* Set IPD
* Calibrate Tracking Lights for HMD, controller, Move controllers

Environment setup:
* No direct light shining into camera
* Turn off lights in view of camera
* Cover mirrors in view of camera that can reflect tracking lights
* Lighting should be dimmer than otherwise
* Camera must be stable and should be situated according to desired play session—slightly higher than likely HMD position if possible: close for cockpit games (4ft), further out for seated with tracked Dualshock or Move controllers (4ft - 5 ft), further still for standing (6ft - 9ft)

Before Session:
* System should have been powered down since last session
* HMD should be connected up and placed on a flat surface, power-up and leave for 10 seconds
* Adjust Playstation Camera (PSVR menu or Devices, Camera)
* Equip HMD
* Calibrate position (hold down Options button)

If tracking errors occur (try each in-turn until resolved):
1. Calibrate position (hold down Options button)
2. Reset HMD (power off HMD, wait for 10s, power on HMD while keeping it stable)
3. Hard reset of HMD and console (power off console for 30s)

To answer your spoiler: Yes, it gets better.

yeah it really does.

I got the
gun.
OMG. screamed like a little girl during the
dinner table chase.
fuck me this game.
then I thought I did okay and papa crashed through the wall and i quit the game

Thank goodness it does an autosave so I didn't have to
fight MIA again.

wow this is gonna be one hell of a ride hey.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah it really does.

I got the
gun.
OMG. screamed like a little girl during the
dinner table chase.
fuck me this game.
then I thought I did okay and papa crashed through the wall and i quit the game

Thank goodness it does an autosave so I didn't have to
fight MIA again.

wow this is gonna be one hell of a ride hey.

Glad you really like it so far. It was a great ride the whole way for me.

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
Damn, I feel like vr has ruined 2d games to me.

I've bought PS VR 2 weeks ago and since then I haven't played anything else until today, when I started Horizon, and well... I played a bit but I can't really enjoy it (despite the outstanding graphic and the great gameplay) because I keep thinking how "flat" and "little" (despite playing on a 50'' tv) it feels, and how it would be awesome to play it in vr like Bound.
It's so frustrating.

I've bought PS VR 2 weeks ago and since then I haven't played anything else until today, when I started Horizon, and well... I played a bit but I can't really enjoy it (despite the outstanding graphic and the great gameplay) because I keep thinking how "flat" and "little" (despite playing on a 50'' tv) it feels, and how it would be awesome to play it in vr like Bound.
It's so frustrating.

Hahaha, I know what you mean. It takes a little to get back into traditional experiences. I had the same thing with Horizon, but after an hour or so I was hooked. I even screwed around and tried it on the biggest virtual theater screen setting. Pretty ugly like that, though =P

Grinchy

Banned

It's so frustrating.

Yeah that's the craziest feeling. I played nothing but VR for a couple weeks and then tried to play Rocket League again and I felt like I could barely see anything. I could no longer sense any depth. Things finally went back to normal after a while but it just makes me wish every game had a VR component.

Speaking of, I'd love to see Rocket League as a 3rd person VR game.

wondermega

Hey all, tried googling but no luck.
I have Battle front and trying to run the vr mission. Patches updated etc. When I load the vr mission it just sits at the loading screen (spinning wheel, cycling through the game tips etc). Logged into EA account, tried rebooting system, eject and reinsert the disc.. nothing. I've let it sit probably 15-20 minutes before giving up. Ps4 pro - any ideas?

I have Battle front and trying to run the vr mission. Patches updated etc. When I load the vr mission it just sits at the loading screen (spinning wheel, cycling through the game tips etc). Logged into EA account, tried rebooting system, eject and reinsert the disc.. nothing. I've let it sit probably 15-20 minutes before giving up. Ps4 pro - any ideas?

I haven't played it for a while now but I am pretty sure you need to press a button to continue (one that only appears when you look into it's direction). I'm not sure though.

wondermega

I haven't played it for a while now but I am pretty sure you need to press a button to continue (one that only appears when you look into it's direction). I'm not sure though.

There doesn't seem to be any buttons showing up when I look around. I am aware of the confusion w. the similar case in the Jackal Assault game.

Apologies if this seems a stupid question. But just checking, have you downloaded the VR DLC from the store? The VR segment isn't included on the disc or in the game updates. Hitting the VR option on the menu should link you to the PS Store, but I remember there being issues with that in the past.

wondermega

Apologies if this seems a stupid question. But just checking, have you downloaded the VR DLC from the store? The VR segment isn't included on the disc or in the game updates. Hitting the VR option on the menu should link you to the PS Store, but I remember there being issues with that in the past.
Pretty sure that I did, the option to load the vr mission didn't show up until after. Maybe there was a patch that busted it or something..

Has anyone tried Littlstar VR Cinema with patch 1.07? I think you can now sideload from USB, also rumoured to support 3D in 180/360. I don't have anything downloaded to USB so keen to hear of anyone's experiences...

MageBoySA

I had thus same problem. I had to delete everything, including my save data (not sure if I needed to do that, but if doing the nuke it from orbit method, go all out.) Then I reinstated the game, then the patch, the the VR DLC in that order and it worked.

Picked up Thethred, after it was updated with Pro and MOVE support. Wise decision, the controls is pretty damn good with the MOVES, Zoom in and out, Rotation, Drag, Pointing, ect... And to top it off the enhanced graphics on the PRO is well worth the price of admission.

They(ScretSorcery)did an outstanding job for 25 bucks.

Maligna

Banned

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...sion/cid=UP0006-CUSA00640_00-BATTLEFRONTPSVR0
Click this link. Download, then try Battlefront again and let us know.

That damn tutorial level took me over an hour to complete. The MOVE CONTROLS are great. Yes, it has the little jitters when it's still, but not much. The Zoom in and out, rotating, dragging and point are accurate.
C6GrcVBVUAA9cw5.jpg

man, Resident Evil 7 is the PSVR killer app eh? This whole AAA southern gothic horror game IS scary as fuck. Probably at the 1 hour mark and my VR legs have gone soft but that was an incredible first boss fight. Gory as fuck. lol

TheMan

not really impressed with littlstar, its limitations seem to be significant. Haven't been able to get any videos playing correctly. All suffer from the same giant person syndrome, the videos that are too high bitrate chug like fuck. Need to do more experimenting, i guess.

sasliquid

So I'm planning to get the VR later in the year cos it's something that interests me and I feel I should play RE7 the best way possible.

I'm trying to budget for it and a switch this year. What're the must haves now or in the near future?

Right now I'm planning on getting
RE7
Batman
Rez
Thumper

bumpkin

Has anyone taken the plunge on Dying: Reborn? How is it?

I have Tethered, but haven't tried it with the Move patch yet. I think I got up to the 8th or 9th island before putting it down months back.

not really impressed with littlstar, its limitations seem to be significant. Haven't been able to get any videos playing correctly. All suffer from the same giant person syndrome, the videos that are too high bitrate chug like fuck. Need to do more experimenting, i guess.

Yeah, we're not quite there yet ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom