• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecX

For those who ordered via Amazon in the US, which courier are they using?

Not sure yet, but they will most likely use UPS for me at this point. Item status says "Shipping Today" which is too late to go with USPS for delivery tomorrow. Amazon rarely used FedEx for my location which I actually would prefer since the local station is down the street from work and would be quicker for me to pickup myself than wait for them to deliver.

My only issue with UPS is when I really want something to be delivered early, those days they deliver around 5-6 pm, the stuff I don't care about ends up being delivered by Noon-1.

nikos

Depends on locale.

I drew the short straw and got the one-two punch of USPS & "shipping partner".

:(

They used USPS for me, which, going by other preorders, gives me a 50/50 shot of actually receiving it tomorrow. Fuck

If it's USPS, I'm either not going to receive it tomorrow or not going to receive it at all. I have the worst USPS branch in existence. They did use UPS for my No Man's Sky preorder though, so there's hope.

Not sure yet, but they will most likely use UPS for me at this point. Item status says "Shipping Today" which is too late to go with USPS for delivery tomorrow. Amazon rarely used FedEx for my location which I actually would prefer since the local station is down the street from work and would be quicker for me to pickup myself than wait for them to deliver.

My only issue with UPS is when I really want something to be delivered early, those days they deliver around 5-6 pm, the stuff I don't care about ends up being delivered by Noon-1.

I'm thinking the same thing. Mine also says "Shipping Today," and I don't think USPS can move that fast. I'm located in NYC.

tr00per

Welp. I got charged by Amazon and I still have a preorder at gamestop. So here we go!!!
I get the feeling I'll end up selling one to a Gaffer

I haven't been able to find this answer definitively from anyone who actually has one yet, but can you play 360 videos with psvr?

So has anyone confirmed that the EU can access the other 10 demos somehow? Other than that I'm super excited for tomorrow :D feels like christmas!

ryseing

So has anyone confirmed that the EU can access the other 10 demos somehow? Other than that I'm super excited for tomorrow :D feels like christmas!

Just create an American PSN account. Cake.

I'd add Harmonix Music VR, all the impressions I've read were very positive

No Spotify support, especially when Sony is pushing PlayStation Music so hard, is going to kill that thing unfortunately.

Cornbread78

Have her try the ocean descent demo. My wife likes it a lot and got the approval lol

Yeah, it's a tough battle right before the holidays though, lol. I already got stumped on my battle for PS4 Pro (she's knows how many games I haven't even played yet....... dammit.

goonergaz

RI5COpG.jpg

Yup, we got them..... still trying to figure out a battle strategy to convince the wife...

Not even sure my wife knows - I was meauring up the play area last night and testing the moves the other day and she was like "what you doing" - I did (sort of) mention in passing...tomorrow morning will be fun :)

3rdbass

Banned
I cancelled my Amazon order. It looks like my target order will be here on Friday even though it is already in Atlanta as of this morning. My Bestbuy order is also in Atlanta as of this morning and ready for Thursday delivery. Now I have to decide if I want to return both, keep 1 and return the other or keep 1 and sell the other. Decisions! I know if I keep it I will have to buy my wife her elliptical. LOL!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just wanted to chime in and wish people to enjoy their first VR session. That can be an experience to remember.

goonergaz

Yeah, it's a tough battle right before the holidays though, lol. I already got stumped on my battle for PS4 Pro (she's knows how many games I haven't even played yet....... dammit.

My battle strategy for the Pro is that 'to get the full benefit of PSVR...' blah blah, if she complains I'll pay my trump card of "if you're not happy I can sell my 20th anniversary PS4 to fund it" and that'll put her back in line :p

3rdbass

Banned

Haha! I have 4 PS3's, 2 PS4's, 1 Xbox 360 and just bought an Xbox S. My wife is going to kill me that I ordered two of these and also plan on getting the PS Pro and I barely have time to play games. LOL! I better order her elliptical tonight before she divorces me and finds out about the 2 PSVR's I ordered. I plan on only keeping one.

Pejo

That's a great OP, nice job. I can't fucking wait to get my bundle. I got shipping at Best Buy way back in March when I pre-ordered, so I won't be getting it until their warehouse snails get it in the mail and it ships, but hoping to have it this weekend (probably won't).

I'm looking forward to the opinions of the games in here, I didn't buy any games yet so I'd like to see what the best of the best are.

DavidDesu

Great thread, although noticed on my iPad the first page continually crashes it which is a shame. Must be just too many images and gifs etc.

ryseing

As for my launch selections:

EVE Valkyrie, Volume, and Bound are already downloaded. Physical copy of Batman is in hand. Physical RIGS and DriveClub VR should be arriving tomorrow. I had shipping issues with Battlezone via Amazon, so I'm buying that digitally. Who the fuck knows if iam8bit will have my Rez physical copy here within the month.

And according to the review thread they won't. Fuck off. I appreciate the niche that the company inhabits but there has to be one that does it better.

I picked up a $100 PSN card, but $60 of that is going to Battlezone. I already had $25 on my account. Thinking with the leftover $65 I'll go Keep Talking, Sportsbar VR, and one of 100 ft Robot/Thumper/Super Stardust/Job Simulator.

Clipse

Is there any chance of walking into a Best Buy later tonight and getting a Launch Bundle? Stuck at work until 7PM..

RootCause

Awesome thread, will keep popping back in, to read about your experiences. :)

Great thread, although noticed on my iPad the first page continually crashes it which is a shame. Must be just too many images and gifs etc.
More than likely ram limitation. My iPhone works fine, even when I have more than twice the amounts of tabs open. But if I use my iPad air(1GB) it crashes too. :0

Chabbles

Those crazy silicon valley billionaires trying to break us out of this vr world are gonna be crazy pissed when they see people going 2 levels deep this week.

Cant wait to hear some real world impressions of this thing, its going to be fun to watch how it plays out regardless of the reception.

sense

come on guys, new hardware launches rarely every come loaded with highly rated games. 60's to low 80's are mostly what you should expect. give it atleast a year or two before games fully realized for vr start coming out.

hope people are keeping an eye out for keep talking and nobody explodes because that seems like a lot of fun with friends

Haven't read any reviews, just going by people's reactions based on the demo.

Not sure how deep a music visualizer needs to be, anyway.

I love Harmonix, but the handful of impressions I read slaughtered it.

The one I remember most questioned its very existence and said that, out of every single VR game/experience out there, it would be the last one they'd show to friends interested in VR out or fear it would drive them away from the medium.

Really want to play RIGS more than anything! But man, not sure I can ever recall ever being so unsure of a purchase. Easily the biggest "on the fence" item Ive ever had since Ive been into gaming (Atari 2600). Im typically a early adopter to new hardware, but I want the bundle (which I may not be able to get since I couldnt catch a preorder, and who knows how hard this will be to find) and for $500... and at least another 100 or so for the games I want....

Doesn't help that Ive been wanting to get a XBO again as my Gears 4 itch is strong, and can grab the S 1TB bundle with all the Gears games for 350... definitely cant do both. Just thinking aloud at this point, gah.. being an adult with limited income and responsibilities is for the birds! Haha

wonderone

Neo Member
Also mentioned in the UK delivery thread, but i received mine this morning and i would really like to commend sony on their Playroom VR platforming game, as i found it very enjoyable and it works well with VR.

I would love to see this adopted for a Mario 3D world/land-esque game or even the Crash Remasters!

Okay enough real world for me now, back to PSVR! :)

Cornbread78

Is there any chance of walking into a Best Buy later tonight and getting a Launch Bundle? Stuck at work until 7PM..

It's NA launch is 10/13, so technically you cannot buy them from a retailer until 12am tonight. You would need to find a BB or GS open until launch tonight or a 24 hour Wal-Mart at midnight.

Wal-Mart did not run PSVR pre-orders, so that might be your best bet at midnight.

Haha! I have 4 PS3's, 2 PS4's, 1 Xbox 360 and just bought an Xbox S. My wife is going to kill me that I ordered two of these and also plan on getting the PS Pro and I barely have time to play games. LOL! I better order her elliptical tonight before she divorces me and finds out about the 2 PSVR's I ordered. I plan on only keeping one.

LOL, good plan! a treat for both of you!

My battle strategy for the Pro is that 'to get the full benefit of PSVR...' blah blah, if she complains I'll pay my trump card of "if you're not happy I can sell my 20th anniversary PS4 to fund it" and that'll put her back in line :p

Not even sure my wife knows - I was meauring up the play area last night and testing the moves the other day and she was like "what you doing" - I did (sort of) mention in passing...tomorrow morning will be fun :)

Treading on thin ice I see, lol.

Yeah, I have no way of hiding it, since it would have to go into the living room and she would know... like immediately and explode, lol.

I just wanted to chime in and wish people to enjoy their first VR session. That can be an experience to remember.

I'll never forget mine (PSVR EVE: Valkyrie demo). In my 20+ years of gaming, I have never been so blown away by new technology like I have with VR. Only three moments come to mind when I think of 'religious experiences' in gaming, and VR for the first time was one of them.

Chorazin

So is there an app or something we'll need to download for this thing? Couldn't find anything on the store, and I'm sure it won't be a small app....

sense

i am actually expecting stores to be stocked so people interested can get one on day 1. hard to tell what the demand is but seems like sony are shipping more than what they allotted for preorders. this is just random guess based on no concrete data

But what if she say oh thats a good idea, would be rather screwed there!

wonderone

Neo Member

Thanks man! Really enjoying mine, even though i had experience with DK1 and DK2 before, PSVR is much better than that, and little setup.

Briarios

Just FYI, there is a great natural remedy for nausea - ginger. No joke, if you're having problems, try some before a session. It really works.

BadHand

Anyone know how easy it is to recalibrate the PS VR headset?

I read that your PSN ID store information like interpupillary distance and height. So if I wanted to let a friend try it out, do I need to recalibrate the headset each time, do I need to create a new PSN ID?

What's the game with the little Sony robots? Love those dudes. Is that in VR Worlds? Haven't seen much of it the last couple of weeks.

wonderone

Neo Member
Anyone know how easy it is to recalibrate the PS VR headset?

I read that your PSN ID store information like interpupillary distance and height. So if I wanted to let a friend try it out, do I need to recalibrate the headset each time, do I need to create a new PSN ID?

Its a one-time setup of connecting cables and if you havent already setting up the PS camera, other than that i had no problems with calibrating... You can hold the OPTIONS button at any time to recenter view, and from what i've seen this carries across all software so far. Move controllers was also a simple button press and seems to work fine without further setup.

DavidDesu

Its a one-time setup of connecting cables and if you havent already setting up the PS camera, other than that i had no problems with calibrating... You can hold the OPTIONS button at any time to recenter view, and from what i've seen this carries across all software so far. Move controllers was also a simple button press and seems to work fine without further setup.

There is a setting for inter pupillary distance (distance between your eyes) that's apparently nestled in settings somewhere. Getting this setup correctly on a per person basis will definitely help the experience, as much as PSVR works fine for most people without setting this (default must be a good average for most folks to enjoy). Don't have my PSVR yet but it's supposed to be in settings somewhere and would be advisable for everyone to go check that out in case it fixes any slight issues with the visuals you may be having if you have an IPD that is an outlier.

EDIT: and yes this is on an account by account basis so it might cause issues if you're to one extreme and the person you're letting try it is on the other extreme, maybe best set up a guest account that you can go in and change this IPD setting for different people without messi g up your own.

wonderone

Neo Member
That's Playroom VR, supposedly a fun game as well.

Yes, i particulary enjoyed the small platform / collect your friends game, works really well and lots of fun! And best of all: FREE. Would love to see this morph into a fully fledged game soon!

Shikoba

Man, I hope I can find one of these tonight/tomorrow. I screwed up by not preordering, but I didn't have my first encounter with demoing VR until last week. Up until then I was so unsure of it all.

Seriously, the second that demo started (EVE Valkyrie) I was sold. And just seeing everyone's reactions to putting it on for the first time was amazing. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get my hands on one!

BadHand

There is a setting for inter pupillary distance (distance between your eyes) that's apparently nestled in settings somewhere. Getting this setup correctly on a per person basis will definitely help the experience, as much as PSVR works fine for most people without setting this (default must be a good average for most folks to enjoy). Don't have my PSVR yet but it's supposed to be in settings somewhere and would be advisable for everyone to go check that out in case it fixes any slight issues with the visuals you may be having if you have an IPD that is an outlier.

EDIT: and yes this is on an account by account basis so it might cause issues if you're to one extreme and the person you're letting try it is on the other extreme, maybe best set up a guest account that you can go in and change this IPD setting for different people without messi g up your own.

Thanks, good advice. I'll do this. I have a friend with eyes like a hammerhead shark. So I was a bit worried about going cross-eyed when I take the headset back.

deadfolk

Just got a call from gamestop asking if I am going to pick mine up tomorrow.

Now all I need is to wait a month for pro so I can actually play it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom