• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3M0G

Just had my first VR experience ever at the mall, so I figure I'll share my thoughts here. Again, these are the DEMOS that everyone has been playing for months. I really hope that EVE Valkyrie's resolution has been improved since this demo, because eeeeshhhh...

So in the end, I can’t wait to try more… my eyes feel a bit strained though. It feels very comfortable while playing, but my eyes were focused a bit differently during gameplay and you could tell. After I walked away at the end they started to feel tired.

Eve Valkarie – looking around and the depth was very cool, but the game is far to busy and the resolution was really really low… it was low in all the games but this one felt extremely low. Hopefully the final game is better, and hopefully better with Pro.

Battle Zone – felt the most like a fun game, and knowing what I know about the game (procedurally generated campaign, 4-player coop, upgrades), it feels like the most fun game overall. Edit: added note, the "VR Effect" was quite low however... at times I wondered if it was really a stereoscopic image I was seeing. Maybe there is a effect slider in the final game?

Super Hyper Cube – 3D tetris where you need to rotate a glowing block to fit through a hole in the distance as it comes closer to you. Very cool 3D effect. Makes me excited for other games like that.

The Deep – tried it but wasn’t a priority. I found it pretty. Some people may get scared but I didn’t find it frightening at all… I was trying to get my head as close to the shark’s mouth as possible.

There are some other games like that head socker thing but didn’t bother with that yet. If I go again I’ll try some others.

Screen: You could see the “screen-door” effect that is so talked about in VR, but in PSVR I think it is more like looking through a mesh. You can focus your eyes away from the game graphics and directly on the “mesh” if you want. But PSVR supposedly has the best pixel solution with sub-pixels in between the regular pixels to reduce the “screen door” effect. I think I see that, and can imagine how Oculus must look without the sub pixels. If you focus on the game graphics, you likely won’t notice it. It never bothered me once, and it is not a deterrent. But Eve’s in-game graphics resolution was so low (480p level), I really hope the final game is better. This is where the Pro will make a big difference, hopefully.

Sound was always awesome. Eve had the best VR effect and Sound, I would say. Super Hyper Cube had 2nd best VR effect.

No sickness, etc, even when things bugged out. Had a few glitches during the demo. Most annoying thing is that when they returned you to the system menu, it aways started with vvideo only in the Left eye, with the Right eye just being solid blue, for about 2 seconds. Then the menu was visible in both eyes.

Rotating the controller in your hands during Super Hyper Cube was really cool. Doing that was really buggy in BattleZone for some reason, but it’s good to know it was just the demo that was bugging out and it wasn’t crappy tracking.

No tracking issues at all really, other than that one buggy instance.

Other notes, you really need to adjust the headset yourself and find the sweetspot. Don't just let them slap it on your head and go... move it around just a little bit until the focus is at its best. At first one eye looked blurry (I wear glasses) but a tiny movement cleared things right up!

Is there anything in the OP about the extra (optional) detailed calibration you can do? I'd check but I don't want to eat up my mobile data.

Found this on Reddit. Sounds very important.

This kind of sucks if you're going to have a bunch of people try it and each one will have to calibrate it.

Downhome

What are you talking about lol.

Like I said, I didn't think it would be possible to us PSVR on an older PS4 as it originally came. Did that end up not being true?

I know I sound like a moron, but I just haven't kept up with it in months. I haven't kept up with games in general for a few months. Well, other than my No Man's Sky experiment that didn't work out.

Septimus

Well, I guess, but don't you need to completely replace the harddrive or something?

I haven't kept up with this at all since preorders first came out. I was under the impression that you either needed a completely new system or you had to totally replace the current drive.

Someone's been feeding you bullshit, dude. Just plug it in and it'll work lol.

Abdiel

Like I said, I didn't think it would be possible to us PSVR on an older PS4 as it originally came. Did that end up not being true?

I know I sound like a moron, but I just haven't kept up with it in months. I haven't kept up with games in general for a few months. Well, other than my No Man's Sky experiment that didn't work out.

Every standard ps4 can use psvr. That's always been the case.

Afrikan

Man think mines won't be here till Monday now, had to change my CC and apply some Amazon credit, pushed the shipping date a little.

All good, I'm mostly getting VR for my family and friends who aren't gamers.

Just had to do this too... My bank changed my Card like 4 months ago.... I quickly updated my Amazon payment info... but for some reason they still tried to bill my old card... and then didn't even look into my current card on File.

If I could've ordered from BestBuy I would've...but they took too long, compared to the other pre-order availability.

Now, like yourself, they are staying they can't charge my current card right away...and they have to wait within 24hrs? WTF Charge my shit right now! But nope.

I told them I'm expecting my delivery tomorrow. They have one day shipping here in SF.. hell they have 1hr shipping here in SF.

They better make it possible or I'm done making day one orders from Amazon. Them out sourcing their customer service doesn't help. Dude couldn't(wouldn't?) explain what the issue was when they have had my new card on file for months.

edit- ok called them back, got them to deliver by tomorrow again. They had charged my new card right after I got off the phone or during don't know.

Downhome

Thanks guys, just read the OP as well and watched the videos.

Jesus, I was halfway hoping I had an excuse to take it back since I forgot I even ordered it. I don't know if I can resist popping it open once it shows up!

I noticed that sitting on the main home screen of the PS4 can cause laggy tracking in some cases. Idk if there is something going on in the background there. In an actual app though, there are no such problems.

Great thread, although noticed on my iPad the first page continually crashes it which is a shame. Must be just too many images and gifs etc.

Awesome thread, will keep popping back in, to read about your experiences. :)

More than likely ram limitation. My iPhone works fine, even when I have more than twice the amounts of tabs open. But if I use my iPad air(1GB) it crashes too. :0

Ipads have never been great with youutube embedded videos, I just learned that with both of my threads.

Is there anything in the OP about the extra (optional) detailed calibration you can do? I'd check but I don't want to eat up my mobile data.

Found this on Reddit. Sounds very important.

Go to How to use PSVR in General there is a PlayStation video that shows you the calibration methods.

Billfisto

I`m really hoping the PSN store updates to show the prices for all the VR games soon. I`m trying to make purchasing decisions, dang it!

This kind of sucks if you're going to have a bunch of people try it and each one will have to calibrate it.

The basic calibration would be fine for demoing the unit I'm sure. No one who demoed at events or stores had it calibrated to their specifications. I think it's more for the person putting significant play time in.

Ipads have never been great with youutube embedded videos, I just learned that with both of my threads.

Go to How to use PSVR in General there is a PlayStation video that shows you the calibration methods.

In the video they just say to go to settings for more options. That link shows you what adjustments are available and where to find them.

Maligna

Banned
The basic calibration would be fine for demoing the unit I'm sure. No one who demoed at events or stores had it calibrated to their specifications. I think it's more for the person putting significant play time in.

Yup. When I demo for others I'll just use default settings on a different profile. Keep my own settings for me.

Sigma722

Just ordered rigs based on review thread. It was that or battlezone for now, and battlezone is $10 so rigs it is.

got eve valkyrie preloaded after buying it from a gaf member for cheap.

still hoping to have driveclub at launch, and a couple others, but need best buy to stop fucking around.

Something I'm not seeing brought up a lot, what's the quality of the "theater mode" for standard, non-VR games like? Have any extensive write ups been done on the feature?

Specific areas of interest: Is it good enough in terms of picture delivery and response time for me to feel like I'm not just playing at home on my 27" monitor and playing on a massive display? Or is it kind of a a gimmick because it washes out image quality and/or adds input lag? Anyone tested in depth? I'm seeing mixed thoughts on the comfort levels of the PSVR and am also wondering if it feels comfy enough to sit in theater mode for a long time.

To be honest, I find the notion of the theater mode kind of appealing considering my standard setup is just a desktop 27" monitor.

Something I'm not seeing brought up a lot, what's the quality of the "theater mode" for standard, non-VR games like? Have any extensive write ups been done on the feature?

Specific areas of interest: Is it good enough in terms of picture delivery and response time for me to feel like I'm not just playing at home on my 27" monitor and playing on a massive display? Or is it kind of a a gimmick because it washes out image quality and/or adds input lag? Anyone tested in depth? I'm seeing mixed thoughts on the comfort levels of the PSVR and am also wondering if it feels comfy enough to sit in theater mode for a long time.

To be honest, I find the notion of the theater mode kind of appealing considering my standard setup is just a desktop 27" monitor.

It's a bit of both. Yes, it'll feel like the screen is bigger than your 27" but the image quality is a step down.

So what is the usual recourse when an amazon package gets sent back? I'd say there's a 90% chance the post office will send it back. Been on the phone with Amazon and USPS all day and there's basically nothing either of them can do.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Yeah, that might be an issue. Well, maybe someone will give some impressions on it.

Here's a video of hustle kings on psvr. Having a hard time telling if they're using move controls or not. Don't seem to be...

https://youtu.be/9Bmp8p1kDPo

EDIT: There have been a few videos of this game posted today and all are using DS4. No idea what's up with that. I know Sports Bar is supposed to have Move because of the trailer (Sports Bar and Hustle Kings are from the same dev, right?)

Ellite25

There seems to be a lot of discussion about motion sickness today which worries me. Someone said it messed them up for a whole day. That worries me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here's a video of hustle kings on psvr. Having a hard time telling if they're using move controls or not. Don't seem to be...

https://youtu.be/9Bmp8p1kDPo

EDIT: There have been a few videos of this game posted today and all are using DS4. No idea what's up with that. I know Sports Bar is supposed to have Move because of the trailer (Sports Bar and Hustle Kings are from the same dev, right?)

That's pretty strange.

Just pre-ordered
Until Dawn
Super Robot Golf
Super Stardust HD
Demo Disk

Was close to getting Thumper and Supercube whatever it is called, but figured the demo disk exists for a reason.

EDIT - I think I have been swayed towards Thumper. Will preorder it once I am done posting. Already have my VR folder all set up as well.

I have to say the Sony Rewards Visa card was one of the better decisions I have made with my finances. All my PSN purchases are made via the Reward Points I have accumulated with it. Really has worked out fantastic.

I concur. I've gotten the Sony Tablet, wireless bluetooth speaker and tons of games and addons with it for free.

Briarios

There seems to be a lot of discussion about motion sickness today which worries me. Someone said it messed them up for a whole day. That worries me.

It really is unique to each individual. Calibrate properly, that's a big one ... but, also, as I mentioned earlier, if you have problems -- use ginger! It really works to fight nausea.

golem

I have a Vive and have had a CV1 and DK2. Played the PSVR for a few hours and felt a bit woozy, first time thats ever happened to me but it wasnt too bad. Maybe because of the lower framerate?

Valonquar

Amazon used UPS for my shipment and it was scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Since they tend to show up at like 8pm I used the website to have the package held for pickup at the shipping facility right down the road from where I live. Now my package is already waiting for me to pick up when I get off work today. WHY IS IT STILL NOT 5pm?

I too have a Sony Rewards Visa & used to to pick up most of the games digitally for "free" with PSN credits from rewards points.

n0razi

My PSVR preorder is being delivered tomorrow but I want to wait on impressions of Slim/OG vs Pro performance in VR before picking up a PS4

Motion sickness will always be an issue with VR until we have tech that can emulate G-forces and body movement. No matter how good the headset is (8k OLED displays at 200Hz etc), you still need to trick your body vs tricking just your eyes and ears. Obviously some people are naturally immune to it and others can get used to it but VR wont be truly mainstream till we tackle this issue.

Nags

Banned

You are the only person I have ever seen that is confused about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom