• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
Some people were noticing that some older PSVR games were suddenly getting new patches.

We could either choose to believe these are just tiny bug fixes like the patch notes describe, or we could lose our minds and assume these are PS5 enhancement patches.

Some people were noticing that some older PSVR games were suddenly getting new patches.

We could either choose to believe these are just tiny bug fixes like the patch notes describe, or we could lose our minds and assume these are PS5 enhancement patches.

no need for PS5 patches on PS4, but the fact is that the codebase is being updated anyway

sadly, that means only a handful of titles so far

anyway, psvr is 4 years old this month and if I was a whole year bitching on Sony for losing time and money on the gimmick, the latter 3 years saw me retiring from 40 years of flat gaming and embracing the mind-blowing "gimmick" of being inside games. What a thrill to be in Skyrim, Pandora and other mythical game worlds up to scale and with weapons in my hands...

I guess the wonderful SW Squadrons is really my last game on the platform. TWD Onslaught flopped hard, Until you Fall is great fun but not during hot weather. Hitman 3 may come too late and without actual guns in your own hands. Sony is not offering anything substantial to me to warrant a PS5 upgrade so I'll pass for now and going the Quest way.

either way, it was a real memorable journey from PS1 to PSVR. hopefully in another 25 years they come up with another such meaningful generational jump as these 2...

Romulus

no need for PS5 patches on PS4, but the fact is that the codebase is being updated anyway

sadly, that means only a handful of titles so far

anyway, psvr is 4 years old this month and if I was a whole year bitching on Sony for losing time and money on the gimmick, the latter 3 years saw me retiring from 40 years of flat gaming and embracing the mind-blowing "gimmick" of being inside games. What a thrill to be in Skyrim, Pandora and other mythical game worlds up to scale and with weapons in my hands...

I guess the wonderful SW Squadrons is really my last game on the platform. TWD Onslaught flopped hard, Until you Fall is great fun but not during hot weather. Hitman 3 may come too late and without actual guns in your own hands. Sony is not offering anything substantial to me to warrant a PS5 upgrade so I'll pass for now and going the Quest way.

either way, it was a real memorable journey from PS1 to PSVR. hopefully in another 25 years they come up with another such meaningful generational jump as these 2...

Squadrons was a nice swan song for psvrs first generation I think.

But I agree, being a VR virgin and trying psvr really made me appreciate Sony. Haven't been this wowed since ps1. A real generational leap within a generation.

INC

Squadrons was a nice swan song for psvrs first generation I think.

But I agree, being a VR virgin and trying psvr really made me appreciate Sony. Haven't been this wowed since ps1. A real generational leap within a generation.

Now wait til you try a pc headset, its another generation leap

Psvr did a great job of introducing people to vr, and games like firewall show the potential of the platform, VR FPS games when done well, are a game changer

Romulus

Psvr did a great job of introducing people to vr, and games like firewall show the potential of the platform, VR FPS games when done well, are a game changer

I have a Rift S. And I agree.

Shmunter

What on PC rivals Firewall in gameplay and userbase?

Shmunter

Onward is a good comparison I beleive, as in slow methodical FPS gameplay. Theres a few popular multiplayer FPS games, Pavlov being another.
Curious how well the long distance open spaces translate to vr, always found the intimate close quarter environments to work better for fidelity thus far.

Resenge

Curious how well the long distance open spaces translate to vr, always found the intimate close quarter environments to work better for fidelity thus far.
I'll be honest, I loved Firewall more than both of those games I mentioned.

Pavlov is more CS type gameplay and Onward works pretty well if you stick together with a group. Everyone gravitates to the objective anyway and if you come out in the open to find more cover closer to your objective, it puts you in danger and is a buzz because you know you're vulnerable.

Last edited:

INC

What on PC rivals Firewall in gameplay and userbase?

Onward for sure, especially now quest is crossplay the community has grown and leagues are going a head, its a more serious firewall, with less gadget BS like the signal blocker lol

Thats because psvr is limited buy the tech, distance is no issue on pc vr, just as clear. As said psvr is very limited, doesnt make it bad, but firewall is the best it has to offer

Pavlov is OK, I personally hate the community and the gunplay recoil mechanics, since the recoil patterns are ripped from csgo, so mnk recoil on vr controllers, jus feels very un-immersive to me anyway

Last edited:

Rudius

I find it mind-blowing that people complain that there are no VR games and then don't even play much what is available...

This game disappointed me a bit. Too much repetition, too many similar guns, insufficient VR implementation and lack of refinement; for example: one handed and two handed guns point to different directions, so I just used large guns with moves (driving sucks too).

Maybe I will come back to finish it. Right now I'm slowly playing The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, which is much better.

Last edited:

no, 6DoF VR is a generational leap in itself

freedom from cables, better graphics, better controls... those are just iterative progressions like we've been having flat since PS1...

next real generational jump will be once tech like neuralink is rendering ultra realistic images directly in your brain and you're interfacing with the game world without moving a single real muscle... at this point we have the Matrix and reality and virtuality are indistinguishable and we may not be doing it for fun...

INC

no, 6DoF VR is a generational leap in itself

freedom from cables, better graphics, better controls... those are just iterative progressions like we've been having flat since PS1...

next real generational jump will be once tech like neuralink is rendering ultra realistic images directly in your brain and you're interfacing with the game world without moving a single real muscle... at this point we have the Matrix and reality and virtuality are indistinguishable and we may not be doing it for fun...

In terms of gfx, tracking, fov and overall performance , pc vr is a generation leap from psvr

Psvr is like a ps2, pcvr is like a ps3

Thats a leap to me (just my opinion tho)

Last edited:
This game disappointed me a bit. Too much repetition, too many similar guns, insufficient VR implementation and lack of refinement; for example: one handed and two handed guns point to different directions, so I just used large guns with moves (driving sucks too).

Maybe I will come back to finish it. Right now I'm slowly playing The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, which is much better.

Lol

Borderlands has procedurally generated guns. You may not see them all, though base models and combinations may look a bit alike... I didn't notice guns pointing in different directions, but there is a setting to change the angle of the grip.

Game itself is not "refined for VR", like Skyrim it's still just the very same game flat, only they allow you to aim and punch. It's basically less impressive in VR than Skyrim because it has far less physics: no objects in tables you can grab, nor shoot, they're all static background, while in Skyrim you could interact with them just as you could in the old flat game.

yes, driving with Move sucks, but like anything in life you get used to it.

for sheer content, action and mayhem, there's nothing better on psvr...

In terms of gfx, tracking, fov and overall performance , pc vr is a generation leap from psvr

like I said, it's like going from PS1 to PS2, or PS4 to PS5. I get it.

what you don't get is that going from flat to VR is like going from SNES to PS1, and that kind of generational jump is a once in awhile paradigm shift. You don't get another paradigm shift from going to VR to going to upgraded VR.

INC

like I said, it's like going from PS1 to PS2, or PS4 to PS5. I get it.

what you don't get is that going from flat to VR is like going from SNES to PS1, and that kind of generational jump is a once in awhile paradigm shift. You don't get another paradigm shift from going to VR to going to upgraded VR.

Well i did, going from psvr to rift s

Was like oh this is what VR is really like, full 360 tracking, decent fov, gfxs that aren't just a blurry mess.

Psvr shows the illusion of vr, pcvr completes it

But ill agree to disagree, pcvr felt like a "generation" leap, youre talking about a complete paradigm shift, which wasn't my point, or what youre trying to prove

Generational leaps and complete paradigm shifts are completely different (in my eyes anyway) if that's the case, 2d games haven't had a complete shift since games were invented, unless youre going from board games to video games

But no need to argue about it, you don't think its a generational leap from psvr, and I disagree, nothing more, nothing less

Xx

Last edited:

Romulus

Well i did, going from psvr to rift s

Was like oh this is what VR is really like, full 360 tracking, decent fov, gfxs that aren't just a blurry mess.

Psvr shows the illusion of vr, pcvr completes it

But ill agree to disagree, pcvr felt like a "generation" leap, youre talking about a complete paradigm shift, which wasn't my point, or what youre trying to prove

Generational leaps and complete paradigm shifts are completely different (in my eyes anyway) if that's the case, 2d games haven't had a complete shift since games were invented, unless youre going from board games to video games

But no need to argue about it, you don't think its a generational leap from psvr, and I disagree, nothing more, nothing less

Xx

I get what you're saying now and I somewhat disagree. Psvr is real VR. Its lower tier, but definitely not an "illusion of VR." Pcvr felt like a real step forward from psvr but definitely not the same leap that psvr feels over flat gaming, not even close actually.

INC

I get what you're saying now and I somewhat disagree. Psvr is real VR. Its lower tier, but definitely not an "illusion of VR." Pcvr felt like a real step forward from psvr but definitely not the same leap that psvr feels over flat gaming, not even close actually.

Thats cool dude, i still disagree, psvr feels like a wish.com toy, compared to my rift s. I loved my psvr too, but I'd never go back

Infact I'm selling psvr with camera, 2 moves (ps4 versions) and the aim controller with firewall, if anyone is interested, do the lot for £200

you're welcome to your opinion dude, no harm, no foul :messenger_ok:

Cat wsit to see what the psvr2 gonna be like, consider how decent the quest 2 is for the money

Last edited:

I'm guessing he's only played with ds4 or just hates Moves...

Oh, he actually has Moves. Just hate then :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

INC

fNJgXVa.gif

Bad fov and blurry mess sounds like a defective unit because no such reports by anyone else, certainly not me.

sounds to me like typical ban material pc master race platform warring.

I go to oculus sub at reddit and often see the occasional VRgin complaining about blurriness :messenger_tears_of_joy:

VR is a step back in graphics and resolution from tv gaming even on Index - don't act like otherwise, and a completely fine trade-off for ultimate immersion even in the blurriest psvr game, like NMS. never cared for playing it flat again...

INC

Bad fov and blurry mess sounds like a defective unit because no such reports by anyone else, certainly not me.

Not defective, just what psvr is like (compared to a pcvr headset), so we go full circle, with me saying it felt like a generation leap.

For the price psvr is fantastic, but very limited.

For the record I dont hate the moves, but they're not fit for purpose, they were just there already, they werent made for psvr
So yet again its another limitation of psvr.

U all seem to think I'm shitting on the psvr for some reason, or looking for excuses to downplay my opinion
namekuseijin said:

Just no, i bought almost all psvr games, and add ons like the aim controller, because i was all in on the psvr, and loved my time either it, but once I upgrade to pc and got a half decent headset, its instantly clear the psvr a generation behind, which again is fine, doesnt make it any less valid as a VR solution, its a great piece of kit. But the screen door fx, the fov, the low res screen, the moves not being fit for purpose, are hard to ignore

But if you have no other experience of VR on a high end system, none of this will matter, because you know no different.

Firewall is still the most well support VR game I've ever played, but its still not close in terms of immersion with a game like onward and a protube

Please dont think I think psvr is shit, because I don't

Last edited:

Shmunter

Not defective, just what psvr is like (compared to a pcvr headset), so we go full circle, with me saying it felt like a generation leap.

For the price psvr is fantastic, but very limited.

For the record I dont hate the moves, but they're not fit for purpose, they were just there already, they werent made for psvr
So yet again its another limitation of psvr.

U all seem to think I'm shitting on the psvr for some reason, or looking for excuses to downplay my opinion
namekuseijin said:

Just no, i bought almost all psvr games, and add ons like the aim controller, because i was all in on the psvr, and loved my time either it, but once I upgrade to pc and got a half decent headset, its instantly clear the psvr a generation behind, which again is fine, doesnt make it any less valid as a VR solution, its a great piece of kit. But the screen door fx, the fov, the low res screen, the moves not being fit for purpose, are hard to ignore

But if you have no other experience of VR on a high end system, none of this will matter, because you know no different.

Firewall is still the most well support VR game I've ever played, but its still not close in terms of immersion with a game like onward and a protube

Please dont think I think psvr is shit, because I don't
Screen door on PSVR? With its subpixel layout. 🤔

INC

Screen door on PSVR? With its subpixel layout. 🤔

I can see the it..........and it worse than my rift s

Perhaps I have good eyes

Or perhaps it was defective after all.........hmm :goog_unsure:

Edit: I know this isn't the psvr, but on mine, it was like the one on the left in the pic

krdGvIx.jpg

Last edited:

Shmunter

I can see the it..........and it worse than my rift s

Perhaps I have good eyes

Or perhaps it was defective after all.........hmm :goog_unsure:

Edit: I know this isn't the psvr, but on mine, it was like the one on the left in the pic

krdGvIx.jpg
I know what screen door is. I have owned 2 gens of Oculus and used a Vive. PSVR is the only one that is least effected to the point of it literally being a non issue. Have not tried latest oculus or vive.

Your criticism almost comes off as you’ve mixed up your headsets, as impossible as it sounds.

INC

I know what screen door is. I have owned 2 gens of Oculus and used a Vive. PSVR is the only one that is least effected to the point of it literally being a non issue. Have not tried latest oculus or vive.

Your criticism almost comes off as you’ve mixed up your headsets, as impossible as it sounds.

Nope, tried my mates psvr too, looked the same to me. I dont notice it at all really on my rift s, unless its just a plain black background with white writing, like a logo on boot up or something.

Romulus

Thats cool dude, i still disagree, psvr feels like a wish.com toy, compared to my rift s. I loved my psvr too, but I'd never go back

Infact I'm selling psvr with camera, 2 moves (ps4 versions) and the aim controller with firewall, if anyone is interested, do the lot for £200

you're welcome to your opinion dude, no harm, no foul :messenger_ok:

Cat wsit to see what the psvr2 gonna be like, consider how decent the quest 2 is for the money

Yeah I'd never go back fully, but I still go back and play things like Iron Man VR, Astro, and Re7, and will keep mine around for PS5 compatibility. The other thing we have to remember is its 2016 VR running on 2013 hardware that was underpowered back, not exactly fair.

But you and I have already talked about the PCVR vs PSVR, you just seem preoccupied with the conversation more than me. I like PCVR better obviously, I just think PSVR punches well above its weight considering its age and price.

INC

Yeah I'd never go back fully, but I still go back and play things like Iron Man VR, Astro, and Re7, and will keep mine around for PS5 compatibility. The other thing we have to remember is its 2016 VR running on 2013 hardware that was underpowered back, not exactly fair.

But you and I have already talked about the PCVR vs PSVR, you just seem preoccupied with the conversation more than me. I like PCVR better obviously, I just think PSVR punches well above its weight considering its age and price.

And i don't disagree, for the price, its probably one of the best peripherals on any console, that I can remember.

Shmunter

Nope, tried my mates psvr too, looked the same to me. I dont notice it at all really on my rift s, unless its just a plain black background with white writing, like a logo on boot up or something.
In this case I will say you are unable to articulate the difference between screen door and lower pixel count.

This is a photo through the PSVR lens...that’s not screen door like on the lcd screens used by other manufacturers.

screen-door-effect-hero-01.jpg

INC

In this case I will say you are unable to articulate the difference between screen door and lower pixel count.

This is a photo through the PSVR lens...that’s not screen door like on the lcd screens used by other manufacturers.

screen-door-effect-hero-01.jpg

I think you're right dude, thats clearly what I was seeing, and I was wrong. Thats exactly what I mean then

I apologise for the mistake

I'm late to the game, I have a ps4 pro and I'm considering getting the iron man psvr bundle. Kind of feels like I'm on the last train before the ps5 comes in with it's vr setup.

perhaps the god rays make it a lesser issue :messenger_winking:

of course more recent screens have lesser SDE because of higher resolution and thus pixel density. But compared to its competitors from 2016, psvr was very often praised for the subpixels. Just like PS4 hardware itself was still doing fine against PCs from the time... things grow old

Grinchy

Banned
One thing I really like about PSVR over my Rift S for PS5 going forward is 120hz
This is what I'm excited for with PS5 running PSVR1 games. Find a way to get every game to force its way up to 120fps, Sony!

The few PSVR games that are already 120fps on PS4 right now look so great in motion. Even the 90fps ones are such a big difference over the 60fps ones that are reprojected.

Last edited:
I'm late to the game, I have a ps4 pro and I'm considering getting the iron man psvr bundle. Kind of feels like I'm on the last train before the ps5 comes in with it's vr setup.

at this point, I don't think even Sony wants you to waste money on psvr. It'll sure get some improved resolution and framerate on PS5, more than even on Pro. But no PS5 games with VR mode is very underwhelming

4 years believing big AAA FPS and racers would be just around the corner, just to get nothing now, even when things like Dirt 5 and Destiny 2 run at 4K 120fps and could do 1080p 120fps VR just fine with little adjustments other than putting camera to the head and gun attached to the hand rather than camera view... Nah, instead run your old PS4 VR shovelware library in higher framerates

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Guys something really good happened in my life and to celebrate i bought a PSVR. I joined the Neogaf VR Club :messenger_beaming:

If you want to build up a cheap collection, you can buy used physical versions of the PSVR games on Ebay. It's a nice easy way to try out some games that may or may not be your style without paying full price for digital copies.

Grinchy

Banned
Guys something really good happened in my life and to celebrate i bought a PSVR. I joined the Neogaf VR Club :messenger_beaming:
Another small tip that could save you some headaches and troubleshooting. When you are all positioned and ready to play, hold down the PS button from any controller. A quick menu pops up, go down to Playstation VR, then go to Confirm Position.

It'll show you the camera feed and you'll feel goofy looking at yourself for a moment. But, this will give you the actual view the camera has of you. So you can move around as you would when playing and see if your camera is positioned in a way to be able to see your Move controllers and headset at all times. If those go out of frame, you lose tracking.

Dirt Rally psvr dlc and bundle have been delisted from psn americas...

that's history of games in the digital copy age. Gone with the wind... joining the ranks of Driveclub - perhaps even same alleged reason: license for cars expired...

lucky those who, like me, played. Too bad for those postponing VR...

John2290

I can't seem to get past the boot screen on Mortal Blitz: Combat Arena. There is a prompt to pull the trigger but to no effect. ^ Also, fuck em. Codemasters know that VR is a killer of their genre because people who play VR won't go back to 2d and since the specs for console just don't hit it for them, they've decided to try and sweep VR under the rug. What they should be doing is fully embracing it cause the genre is dead in the water if they don't, you can't close the veil now that it has been opened to us.

Grinchy

Banned
So I'm like 4-5 hours into Golem and this is pretty unique. I had no idea what to expect from it other than the fact that it had you doing sword fights. It has you exploring a big area where you need specific masks to unlock doors to get to new areas, which you get from killing harder enemies.

There are secrets and treasures all around to look out for, new weapons to pick up, ect. It's almost a rogue-lite in the sense that you go out and collect things in a single run. And when you die, you start back over with a new Golem and have to equip things you found on the previous runs (which are limited, so you may actually care about losing the sword that's hard to farm).

I found it interesting that the game kinda barely explained anything to you. It's just up to you to go out, explore, and figure shit out. It reminds me in some thematic ways to like a Myst or Last Guardian kind of game with the minimalist approach.

I'm playing with the PS3 Navigation controller and a Move. I can't stand that it doesn't have smooth movement. It's snap turns only. So you ge the typical issue where you can walk down a corridor and are always moving at a diagonal because the snap turns don't line up with the hallway. I fucking hate that! The sword fighting is good and the story is a bit heavy at the beginning, but once the game starts, it's way better than I expected.

Top Bottom