• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
So I'm not too bright - is Onslaught a sequel to Saints and Sinners or is it like an expansion or something?

I'm still the weirdo over here holding out for a physical copy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That part in the Hitman video when he is hiding in the grass is awesome, just how I imagined playing The Last of Us 2 in VR would be.

The game seems to have it all: full locomotion, melee combat, shooting, great graphics, lots of places to go.

Which means it HAS to be PS5 footage we're seeing............right?

Do we think a new headset is coming to the PS5 or this one will be compatible? I want one but I'm unsure if I should just wait.

PSVR is compatible with the PS5. It'll also makes the VR games look and run better.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

you've waited for 4 already since the revolution began

that said, it won't be cheaper than current psvr so you'll likely just wait even more...

Nah, I really didn't care about VR at all till recently I got into SIM Racing, which makes good use of VR. Price is not an issue, I was just wondering if we might see new hardware soon and if I should wait for that instead.

Which means it HAS to be PS5 footage we're seeing............right?

PSVR is compatible with the PS5. It'll also makes the VR games look and run better.

supposedly yes, but Sony has not confirmed any VR for PS5. They only said it's compatible, but in the same way as a ds4 is compatible: to play PS4 games.

that said, they did promise enhancements in PS4 games, and I'm guessing in PS4 VR games too, that's our hope.

Romulus

Nah, I really didn't care about VR at all till recently I got into SIM Racing, which makes good use of VR. Price is not an issue, I was just wondering if we might see new hardware soon and if I should wait for that instead.

Price is not an issue? Then PCVR. Racing sims are far more abundant there. PSVR is great, but it lacks those.

There was a AMA at reddit and Hitman 3 VR is "currently" ds4-only with predefined animations and some timid motion tracking by ds4 gyros:

When I saw the half contained motions in the clips and the cord animation in the trailer, it was not a good sign

VR is not gamepad, nor predefined animations - it's you interacting with the objects and environments directly, manually. I expected more from a team who supposedly played and enjoyed the likes of Superhot... they choose to show shiny graphics (which won't be there either) rather than actual immersion...

They also refused to answer about pc port, enhancements or how PS4 is supposed to run that. I don't like it. It'll probably run blurry AF and play like RE7 - a half VR game...

Btw, there have been quite a lot of recent trailers for psvr showing graphics that simply won't be there. It's very distracting, annoying and plain bullshit to see crispness, shadows, lighting and tons of characters on screen that will need to be toned down so ancient PS4 can deliver at least 720p - Vader Immortal, TWD Onslaught and Hitman 3 are all resorting to this kind of bullshot.

Dr. Claus

Banned
If the bolded is true, then that'll be GREAT!!!

Yea, not sure what the issue is. RE7 is infinitely a better time in VR, even if it is only "half-VR" than most games.

Also the graphical situation, I don't really see the issue either, plus there is no confirmation that the PS5 will look at low res as the OG PSVR. PSVR2 has been confirmed to be coming so...

If the bolded is true, then that'll be GREAT!!!

a great game like RE7 or Hitman is great regardless if you're playing on a downgraded 720p laptop keyboard or on Valve Index with full VR immersion with motion controls

I'd still prefer the latter option if available though...

Iron-Man just received an update with several goodies. Besides cool knew weapons like the swarm or gravity gun and New Game+, probably most notable is the huge decrease in loading times, which led to the most complaints about the game:

I'm still to check this game and only glad it'll be very polished by when I finally do.

Grinchy

Banned
Iron-Man just received an update with several goodies. Besides cool knew weapons like the swarm or gravity gun and New Game+, probably most notable is the huge decrease in loading times, which led to the most complaints about the game:

I'm still to check this game and only glad it'll be very polished by when I finally do.
This is great timing for me because I have a copy coming on Monday.

Romulus

It was a day one headset, time to replace it anyway. Was hoping it would have held out till more news on psvr2 appeared, but I'm never lucky like that.

Man, mine is also a day one headset, so I might be right behind you.
4 years is pretty decent though for electronics, sounds like you used it alot.

This was announced for PS4, but no mention of VR support:

Ven VR brings Crash-like platforming to VR soon:

so, why should they trump indie efforts with more well-known games?

Btw, I think I got my quota of traditional platforming filled already by Dreams. Playing traditional gamepad TP games is not really what I look after in VR...

Rudius

Ven VR brings Crash-like platforming to VR soon:

so, why should they trump indie efforts with more well-known games?

Btw, I think I got my quota of traditional platforming filled already by Dreams. Playing traditional gamepad TP games is not really what I look after in VR...

I want it all :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Besides, that game is alredy in VR for PC:

Wonko_C

This was announced for PS4, but no mention of VR support:

I don't keep track but I believe this is the third game in the series, only the first one was for VR (Lucky's Tale), the second one was for flat only (Super Lucky's Tale). I guess they sell better as flat games, so they don't make them un VR anymore

Last edited:

Rudius

I don't keep track but I believe this is the third game in the series, only the first one was for VR (Lucky's Tale), the second one was for flat only (Super Lucky's Tale). I guess they sell better as flat games, so they don't make them un VR anymore
Sad to hear that. Perhaps hoping for a port of the first game for PSVR is asking to much :messenger_crying:

Rudius

There was a AMA at reddit and Hitman 3 VR is "currently" ds4-only with predefined animations and some timid motion tracking by ds4 gyros:

When I saw the half contained motions in the clips and the cord animation in the trailer, it was not a good sign

VR is not gamepad, nor predefined animations - it's you interacting with the objects and environments directly, manually. I expected more from a team who supposedly played and enjoyed the likes of Superhot... they choose to show shiny graphics (which won't be there either) rather than actual immersion...

They also refused to answer about pc port, enhancements or how PS4 is supposed to run that. I don't like it. It'll probably run blurry AF and play like RE7 - a half VR game...

Btw, there have been quite a lot of recent trailers for psvr showing graphics that simply won't be there. It's very distracting, annoying and plain bullshit to see crispness, shadows, lighting and tons of characters on screen that will need to be toned down so ancient PS4 can deliver at least 720p - Vader Immortal, TWD Onslaught and Hitman 3 are all resorting to this kind of bullshot.

I think they will end up implementing move support for Hitman, but as it stands it is at least a little bit better than Resident Evil 7 in that regard, as it tracks the position of the Dualshock, so you can still aim and use melee weapons by moving the controller.

I played Arizona's Sunshine like that, since I found the move controllers difficult in it. I view it as a middle ground between traditional and full VR control, since you have "one hand" in the world and can aim guns more realistically than turning your head.

Last edited:
looks like Vader Immortal port is blurry:

how, I don't know. It's just a simple, linear, constrained experience that shouldn't have any performance issues even on oh PS4.

too bad kids think graphics = resolution and won't comment if shadows and lighting effects are intact or got the axe...

anyway, here's a gameplay video:

doesn't look all that smudgy to me, seen worse.

Wonko_C

looks like Vader Immortal port is blurry:

how, I don't know. It's just a simple, linear, constrained experience that shouldn't have any performance issues even on oh PS4.

too bad kids think graphics = resolution and won't comment if shadows and lighting effects are intact or got the axe...

anyway, here's a gameplay video:

doesn't look all that smudgy to me, seen worse.

I don't understand why games need "Pro Patches". All of them should support both console models by default, day one.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't understand why games need "Pro Patches". All of them should support both console models by default, day one.
IMO it's just the reality of how much a small developer can really get done with the complex nature of releasing a game.

Which is why it always makes me laugh when people think it's simple to just do cross-gen games and "flip some switches" for a low-end model while making it first with the high-end model in mind. That's not for this thread, but that's what it made me think of :messenger_tears_of_joy:

engstra

Finally got around to playing RE7 in VR and damn it's cool. I made the mistake of playing the opening chapters in flat mode so those scarier sections didn't hit as much as I hoped but the immersion is still fantastic. It maybe also felt slightly less scary as aiming with the headset is much easier than with the analog stick, so the enemies weren't as hard to beat. Anyway, I hope more developers will make their games fully playable in VR for the next generation.

Wonko_C

Finally got around to playing RE7 in VR and damn it's cool. I made the mistake of playing the opening chapters in flat mode so those scarier sections didn't hit as much as I hoped but the immersion is still fantastic. It maybe also felt slightly less scary as aiming with the headset is much easier than with the analog stick, so the enemies weren't as hard to beat. Anyway, I hope more developers will make their games fully playable in VR for the next generation.
I know keep I repeating myself but I want RE8 to be playable with the next-gen hand controllers, Half-Life: Alyx style. Standard controller doesn't always cut it for some VR games.

Last edited:
the stupidity of people never to amuse me

I'm often hearing dumbasses forums abroad saying the PS5 HD Cam won't be used for VR, it's instead for streaming.

images

can these smartasses explain to me why would streamers need a stereoscopic camera? Are they streaming in 3D?

a camera is really a hole. HD Cam has 2 (with lenses) just like the psvr cam. It's precisely because each one sees your motions from slightly different angles that they can calculate and track you in 3D space.

single camera is not useful for that, just for streamers indeed...

that said, that's not proof it's for VR or to enhance psvr1 or that psvr2 if it ever comes will use it. Just like with 3D audio and haptics, they may well eventually offer limited tracking for tv users, Kinect style - think leaning to the side to see more around the corner in a FPS...

Unknown?

the stupidity of people never to amuse me

I'm often hearing dumbasses forums abroad saying the PS5 HD Cam won't be used for VR, it's instead for streaming.

images

can these smartasses explain to me why would streamers need a stereoscopic camera? Are they streaming in 3D?

a camera is really a hole. HD Cam has 2 (with lenses) just like the psvr cam. It's precisely because each one sees your motions from slightly different angles that they can calculate and track you in 3D space.

single camera is not useful for that, just for streamers indeed...

that said, that's not proof it's for VR or to enhance psvr1 or that psvr2 if it ever comes will use it. Just like with 3D audio and haptics, they may well eventually offer limited tracking for tv users, Kinect style - think leaning to the side to see more around the corner in a FPS...
May be for backwards compatibility? Better tracking for the old headset before Gen 2 comes out? Idk.

Huh, unusual for PlayStation youtube videos, they came up with an interesting interview with Vader Immortal creators:

but seems like the port still needs some polish

Grinchy

Banned
Saints and Sinners is getting a physical release in November! Hell yeah. I know most don't care, but I always go physical where I can so I've been holding out on this one just in case.

Romulus

Saints and Sinners is getting a physical release in November! Hell yeah. I know most don't care, but I always go physical where I can so I've been holding out on this one just in case.

Easily a top 3 game this year for me. Exceeded expectations.

Oh, definitely checking this later:

So, yes, I often crap all over VR minigames, right? Am I being hypocrite? No, one thing is to ask 20 bucks for a single idiot VR minigame, entirely another thing is getting Dreams and it coming with tons of different experiences for free, including VR minigames like this. Would I ever pay for this? No. But would such a crazy experimental concept like this even be done at all outside of Dreams? Heck, no!

Dreams VR has also destroyed so many arguments about certain genres being unfeasible in VR. WE NEVER FREAKING GOT A DECENT ROLLERCOASTER VR GAME AT ALL, for crying out loud!

Grinchy

Banned

I kinda wish they'd tell us if we would be waiting a couple more years for PSVR2. I'd upgrade to a V2 headset if that were the case. I feel like I've spent the last couple years not buying it just because of the uncertainty of when the next headset will be available.

Top Bottom