• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

panda-zebra

Started watching the Moss video above, saw the virtual wonderbook (hah) and about 2 or 3 more minutes had had to skip it - I'm having that game as soon as it's there, do not want it spoiled in the least. Looks incredible and I'm sure my boy will love it with the 3rd person movement of the mouse like his favourite little robots.

The Persistence doesn't look to be too horrific so I might be good with that (instanope on RE7, no courage) and the companion app stuff sounds like a recipe for some cheeky fun.

spectator

Some news update on Bravo Team
Confirmed the game is literally Time Crisis, you will choose cover spot and your character will run there, the rest of the covering mechanic is just depend on your movement, so hiding behind the walls and stuff.

This is the most Time Crisis game we will be getting.

Well, I'm pleased for everyone that a Time Crisis-style game appeals to, but I'm not one of them. I was hoping for freedom of movement in this title.

Oh, well- can't win 'em all. Thanks for the details!

majik13

New Dimension Hunter trailer. Looks fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX4rDP6_Lck

Apparently VIVE demo has teleport and locomotion options. not sure how they'd do that on PSVR yet though, if its dual moves...

And Kartong. Not sure if this is new?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxgu7EolsKg

Edit: these have probabaly been posted before, but didnt se them in the OP. So just in case.

Symphony of the Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1oegCBBLb4

ReadOut: First Contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2rdMsAcoQ

Wollan

Everything Sony this E3 has to be booked through their app so no queues which is a really good initiative (Nintendo area is a sweat can in comparison). Too bad though that their servers are buckling under the pressure...

So no PSVR stuff for me today (and I bailed on Skyrim, not waiting 4hours 30min for 10minutes).

But you can watch.
Moss looks very good and interesting.
FF15 Fishing, Skyrim, Inpatient all look interesting and so does most of the booth.

Belker

Well, I'm pleased for everyone that a Time Crisis-style game appeals to, but I'm not one of them. I was hoping for freedom of movement in this title.

Oh, well- can't win 'em all. Thanks for the details!

If I learned anything from Full Spectrum Warrior, it's to always move from cover to dover.

Is Bravo Team multiplayer? Two teams of players trying to fix and flank could be fun.

Mendrox

Cant be too hard to just implement a simple solution like... well use the move button to move forward and your headview is where you will go. Move button on other controller + head moves to right = turn right

It should be that simple, shouldn't it be?

MattAces

Cant be too hard to just implement a simple solution like... well use the move button to move forward and your headview is where you will go. Move button on other controller + head moves to right = turn right

Arizona Sunshine is doing it actually, so let's wait and see if the overall feedback is positive.

I've been wondering whether it's feasible to use Move like a full size joystick when holding the move button? As in, press the move button, then whatever direction you tilt the controller, is the direction you move. The further you tilt it, the faster you could go.

The disconnect between the direction your head is looking might lead to motion sickness, but I think it could work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAWlpTW5J-M

Moss preview, you do control that rat.
Holy crap this game looks REALLLY good.

Hell yes. Good to see, I'm so hyped for this game to be good.

At first I was a bit meh about it but after hearing how the mouse Quill has a personality of their own and interacts with the player I thought this was a great use of VR. Apparently the story of the game is focused around this concept and that the developers aim is to try and create a bond between you an the main character so they aren't just a avatar you are controlling. Plus combat, environment based puzzles, what seem like boss battles, and nice visuals it has quickly become one of my favourite games announced at E3 so far.

Yup, it looks and sounds wonderful and I love how it seems to play.

Mendrox

I've been wondering whether it's feasible to use Move like a full size joystick when holding the move button? As in, press the move button, then whatever direction you tilt the controller, is the direction you move. The further you tilt it, the faster you could go.

The disconnect between the direction your head is looking might lead to motion sickness, but I think it could work.

That also sounds like a clever solution. I mean, the move controller even has extra buttons for things like this. Teleportation is the worst movement solution and I hate it and can't play games with this. Just simply holding a button to move forward and another button if you want to turn around. You would be able to also look around without turning or just hold the button to turn.

MattAces

Uhm... that is unexpected. I'm so excited for this game, whatever new category is being introduced to PSVR is awesome.

DCWU01TU0AAS_GH.jpg

Gitaroo

Or hold two move controllers vertically to use it like dual sticks movement like virtua on and arms. Hold move button to toggle moving/combat.

Wardancer

Neo Member

Generally moving the way you are looking is a bad choice and causes more motionsickness issues than other locomotion options because it doesn't reflect how we move irl at all. (and it really sucks not being able to look around when you move).

The best solution would be to have the button move you forward in the direction the controller is pointing. That's how most vive/oculus games with good locomotion does it now. This lets you control the direction easily, strafe, and still let you look around and us the other hand to aim or interact with things as you move past.

Uhm... that is unexpected. I'm so excited for this game, whatever new category is being introduced to PSVR is awesome.

Certainly is. I would really like to know why it is a nominee.

Can't lie that I was disappointed when it was announced. I personally thought FF15 has a good set up for a treasure hunt style adventure (they touch upon the format a few times with the tombs) where you get a small part of the region to explore that contains a few side activities from the main game but the focus is to solve clues from a map which then opens up a single large dungeon full of set pieces and environmental puzzles which would tell a lore based story and whatever the treasure is then usable in the main game.

Anyone played Robinson? VR dinosaurs sounds so cool and it's £24.99 on the store atm, but I heard there were some negative reviews/impressions at launch and I'm unsure if they released any patches to fix the issues.

WITHE1982

Exactly. This is the solution I'd expect them to adopt. I know it's not VR but hell, even games like Datura on the PS3 managed locomotion pretty well with just one move controller.

MattAces

Anyone played Robinson? VR dinosaurs sounds so cool and it's £24.99 on the store atm, but I heard there were some negative reviews/impressions at launch and I'm unsure if they released any patches to fix the issues.

If there's ONE VR game that I would like to get a refund on, it will be Robinson.
The game has a lot of cool stuff, simplistic puzzle and cool moments but the nausea factor is too high, I don't have a single problem playing RE7 but couldn't stand Robinson.
The reason? That floating damn hand at all times beside of your face. The game is clearly designed with motion controls in mind and then changed it to controller at the very last minute.

ffvorax

Just to have a different hopinion on the other one.

I liked it.

The game as a really, really nice graphic, and I played on OG PS4. The puzzles are pretty easy, but the mechanic are fun enough. The story is so-so, but is nice to see the dinosaurs.

I felt a bit of motion sickness for all the game, so I played it for 30-45m at max, got maybe 1h near the end. (RE7 is much better in this case, could play as long as I liked after changing the setting on how to move)

It's a shame that you can use only the DS4 and not the moves, because it looks like these could be PERFECT way to play it, also the thing that you char have in his right hand is actually a futuristic MOVE...

So for me it's yes, but expect not to play long sessions. (maybe on PS4 PRO the issue is not there)

cakefoo

Generally moving the way you are looking is a bad choice and causes more motionsickness issues than other locomotion options because it doesn't reflect how we move irl at all. (and it really sucks not being able to look around when you move).

The best solution would be to have the button move you forward in the direction the controller is pointing. That's how most vive/oculus games with good locomotion does it now. This lets you control the direction easily, strafe, and still let you look around and us the other hand to aim or interact with things as you move past.
On Rift/Vive you can go where you move your thumb. If you hold your thumb forward, then you'll go in the same direction you're pointing, but that's not the smartest way to control your movement. If I'm aiming a spell forward with my left hand and want to strafe, I do that with my thumb, because if I did it with my wrist I couldn't aim my spell where I want to.

*Splinter

On Rift/Vive you can go where you move your thumb. If you hold your thumb forward, then you'll go in the same direction you're pointing, but that's not the smartest way to control your movement. If I'm aiming a spell forward with my left hand and want to strafe, I do that with my thumb, because if I did it with my wrist I couldn't aim my spell where I want to.
This is true, but I would read Wardancer's post as "the best solution *available on the Move controller*"

Zampano

Is there any news on a Farpoint/AIM reprint? It's sold out everywhere in the UK with only scalper prices. Controller on its own would be fine but kicking myself for not preordering.

It already works like that in the PS4 menus if you hold the trigger.

Wardancer

Neo Member

Most of the time in Onward for example i will use the controller to strafe not my thumb because its fast and accurate. But even if it would limit your movement and aiming since you only have a single button its infinitely better than using your head direction to move. That is always the worst option.

Grinchy

Banned

It's quite awful. It's a walking simulator that pretends to have gameplay, but it's really just tedious chores.

The graphics are great, but I'm shocked that anyone can give it more than a couple hours of their lives. I never felt any nausea whatsoever. I just felt frustration and boredom.

iuuk

Just bought PSVR and am experiencing some very fierce motion sickness in Farpoint. Is this one of those games that is heavily motion sickness inducing and is there still hope I'll get used to it, or am I screwed? I also notice it in that robot saving game from the Playroom VR, but not at all in the one where you shoot blocky aliens.

And another thing: I tend to get used to the screen door effect / bad resolution in those Playroom VR games, but so far not at all in Farpoint, are there tips to reduce this? Close up graphics are fine, but things farther away are pretty bad, makes me really focus on the pixels and just see jagged graphics behind that screen door.

gmoran

This exact mechanic occurred to me yesterday as I was pondering the Skyrim stuff. I think it solves many problems and should work good for walking style games. You could have lots of intuitive and sophisticated techniques involved, like look sharply to the side while just moving forward wouldn't change your direction, and looking right behind you quickly while holding the turn button would do a 180'.

Some industrious person should write all this up and email it to Bethesda.

SuperJay

VR movement could easily be done with Move controllers. When I play Resident Evil 7, the most comfortable movement I use is to only press forward and then rotate my whole body when I turn.

They just need a button press that moves you forward. I rarely need to move backward, but it could be included as a separate button press. They could also include a snap turn left button and a snap turn right button. But honestly, I never use stick turning in RE7 and I had no issue playing that game.

MattAces

Just bought PSVR and am experiencing some very fierce motion sickness in Farpoint. Is this one of those games that is heavily motion sickness inducing and is there still hope I'll get used to it, or am I screwed? I also notice it in that robot saving game from the Playroom VR, but not at all in the one where you shoot blocky aliens.

And another thing: I tend to get used to the screen door effect / bad resolution in those Playroom VR games, but so far not at all in Farpoint, are there tips to reduce this? Close up graphics are fine, but things farther away are pretty bad, makes me really focus on the pixels and just see jagged graphics behind that screen door.

Big yes. You should be fine in a week or two. Any movement with thumbstick game will cause terrible nausea until you are used to it. That is the main reason why most games are still using teleportation, it's much easier to showcase, more user friendly but often VR veterans are used to it and they HATE teleportation.

Cilidra

I would say that locomotion games like Farpoint are not the best to start with. Get your 'VR legs' first. However there are different setting in Farpoints you could try them to see what works best for you.
Don't force it, if you are getting dizzy/motion sick stop right away. I would recommend to build up you 'immunity' first with fixed position games. The brain DOES get used to it in the vast majority of people. Start with short session and build them up.
Another trick, using a fan to blow air on your face/body does help for a lot of people. Personally for Farpoint, I also made back and forth/side to side motion to simulate walking while advancing in the first couples hours, that seemed to foul my brain enough to accept the full locomotion settings.

As for the screen door effect, it's probably what people refer to the MURA effect that your are seeing. The mura effect is pronounced with PSVR especially in low light/dark scenes. It create a blury mess of dark 'brown' pixel. Hard to explain, look it up. People have recommended to decrease the brightness of the PSVR to decrease it (it's set to full brightness by default I believe).
Mura is part of the OLED screen 'drawback'. I think I've read somewhere that there is a decrease of it over time as the screen get 'broken-in' though I can't remember where I saw that so don't take it as a solid fact.
Certain game do have it more than other (minimal in Playroom, very pronounced in some screen of Rush of Blood or Ocean Descend demo)
Also screen door /= mura =/ resolution. If you are complaining about resolution which is actual pixel size then there is nothing much you can do. Some games have anti-aliasing effect to minimize it but it's 1080 divided in 2 eyes and won't get better until PSVR2.
Resolution never bother me in PSVR (I I play on a 720p TV). Most people will get so immerse they don't notice anymore but some people never get over it. I would focus more in 'being in the game' than what it looks like. You will never get as good resolution as you would get on your TV.

Top Bottom