• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

With R7 and Farpoint i have found myself being fine moving and using the snap camera to turn, I can't do the smooth turning as it's too much, So hopefully it allows options like those games offered.

sasliquid

Was hoping this e3 would push me over the edge into getting psvr but... I don't feel any different. I may pick one up but I'm in no hurry, I think Superhot VR was the only game that peaks my interest (and maybe Skyrim if it works well)

Shoeless

On-rails shooters are great in VR. The more the merrier I say.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm actually okay with on-rails shooters in VR. The fact that you can turn your head and be "in" the environment, rather than just looking at a TV really diffuses the feeling of being limited that you get with normal on-rails, light gun games in arcades and at home.

MattAces

Wow, as funny as he usually is, he speaks something wise too huh.

PnEhMyn.png

Also another tweet from Bethesda :
It's been fun bringing our style of games to VR. We plan on supporting as many platforms as we can.
https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/874700610892832769

Seems like they weren't confident enough to announce FO4 PSVR because they are still testing/experimenting optimization stuff?

The Dude

Was hoping this e3 would push me over the edge into getting psvr but... I don't feel any different. I may pick one up but I'm in no hurry, I think Superhot VR was the only game that peaks my interest (and maybe Skyrim if it works well)

Let me tell ya something, I had it pre ordered when it launched and canceled it and didn't really feel the need.. But I finally caved and it's pretty incredible. It's not just a ho hum experience, I mean if the games themselves don't interest you that's one thing but I can say this thing is pretty incredible and I also had little motivation, buy one and you'll see.

Bergerac

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm actually okay with on-rails shooters in VR. The fact that you can turn your head and be "in" the environment, rather than just looking at a TV really diffuses the feeling of being limited that you get with normal on-rails, light gun games in arcades and at home.

It's still not on the same level as controlling your movement though.

Shoeless

It's still not on the same level as controlling your movement though.

That's totally true. But being able to look around feels more immersive though. There's a huge difference between watching the Until Dawn shooter, and actually playing it once those spiders start jumping at you.

panda-zebra

Slightly worried to begin with in the pre-show seeing Sparc (not so keen) and Superhot (instabuy) thinking that would be it. But damn, that VR segment didn't give up: Skyrim, Starchild, Inpatient, FF Fishing, Bravo Team, Moss... none of them looked like filler. Then in this thread I see I've missed Doom and Transference. WTF, I've already got £300 of preorders in for non-VR games. Not complaining though!

ROM: Extraction looks amazing with Aim Controller :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0Cwa7zqD8

Skyrim VR hands-on:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/06/pre...im-vr-a-limited-demo-still-brings-excitement/

Teleportation only in the demo. He was surprised the VR version has PS4 version similarities.

ROM Extraction teaser was very tease-y but it was enough for a little hype.

"The visual quality of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR is, surprisingly, very close to that of the PlayStation 4’s recently released The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition." Played this on ps3, skipped the ps4 remix as I've spent a few hundred hours there already. But this, yeah - already got my order in, I'm going back. Only slight concern being movement. I'd kinda prefer Fallout 3 (not 4, yuck) + Aim, but that would need plenty of reengineering for the weapons so I'm not dwelling on the idea.

xJavonta

Banned
Wow, PSVR just keeps getting better.

I still can't believe I got this thing for free. I need to pick up an AIM controller when I have the money. Haven't touched my headset in a month or two.

Edit: We don't have a date on SuperHOT VR yet do we? That's a day one for me. That and Sparc.

Briarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWG-CLt28I
ArchAngel trailer

On-rail shooter before you ask, and god damn it looks awesome.

I hate trailers for VR games because people that haven't really used a VR system have no way to extrapolate what it's like.

When I watch that trailer, I'm all like: omg the immersion is going to be insane, I can't wait.

When people who haven't played PSVR watch it, they're like: Eh, the graphics are ok.

It's hard to communicate that, even with a drop in graphical fidelity, the way you feel entering those worlds totally makes up for it. Anyway, I'm day one for that. Looks awesome.

panda-zebra

I hate trailers for VR games because people that haven't really used a VR system have no way to extrapolate what it's like.

When I watch that trailer, I'm all like: omg the immersion is going to be insane, I can't wait.

When people who haven't played PSVR watch it, they're like: Eh, the graphics are ok.

It's hard to communicate that, even with a drop in graphical fidelity, the way you feel entering those worlds totally makes up for it. Anyway, I'm day one for that. Looks awesome.

haha completely. presence is king, shiny gfx are just a bonus.

Speaking of Skyrim VR. What's going on with the camera in this image? Are they going to be doing color schemed cameras now or something?

81lOMmMC2LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like some untidy image processing, the black of the camera has been masked with the blue surround.

Here's the UK box from amazon:

ps GAF tip: surround your image in quotes to keep it from appearing too large.

GHound

Looks like some untidy image processing, the black of the camera has been masked with the blue surround.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! lol
Honestly hope they pay more attention to the actual game.

And thanks for the tip, never could work that one out.

majik13

On-rails shooters are great in VR. The more the merrier I say.

I was just hoping it would play something like RIGS or the VR Worlds game, but those were DS4 games, I think this game uses Moves, so locomotion is out I guess. Really wish they had a Move with an analog stick.

Wow, PSVR just keeps getting better.

I still can't believe I got this thing for free. I need to pick up an AIM controller when I have the money. Haven't touched my headset in a month or two.

Edit: We don't have a date on SuperHOT VR yet do we? That's a day one for me. That and Sparc.

I don't think there is a date, but right after the reveal trailer Sid said "in a few weeks"(not sure if he knows more than us or not) Otherwise officially I believe is "Summer 17"

ROM: Extraction looks amazing with Aim Controller :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0Cwa7zqD8

Wow indeed, all I got was that it must have terrible aim! I kid, but you'd think they would have showed actually hitting something.Anyways, hopefully it looks that good, but could likely be something prerendered. Does this game have locomotion? or teleportation?

This link took to the Moss trailer, and the video is super juttery...Maybe timestamps dont work as its still a Live feed?

majik13

Yeah they don't work with live feed, either you can wait for the stream to end or find the time stamp. I put the time stamp just in case.

yeah thats the thing, for me, it shows negative time, from where the live feed is, so the time stamp is always changing, doesnt show the actual time duration, maybe there is a place to change that? I found it by looking at the game schedule down in the description, and scrubbing around. but the play back is still really bad...Visually it looks really good though...

Maligna

Banned
Yeah watching that, not sure how I feel like teleporting through Skyrim. Hopefully a push to move forward option will be in the final build.

Also the way this guy is standing must suck for tracking.

They have already said there will be full movement. How they are gonna pull it off is anyone's guess though. But we could see it in the trailer.

Belker

I really liked what they showed last night, but I was really hoping we would get a slight price drop.

I just cant justify the 400+ dollars right now. But damn I want one bad.

I was hoping for an annoucement too. But I wonder if now is the best time announce a drop. It's not that long since launch and there still appears to be demand for it.

Why drop the price when people are willing to pay more and only to risk alienating early adopters? Supply might even be an issue, if there's a spike in sales.

Plus, assuming there is a drop to come, by announcing it towards Christmas, they'll be able to use that to try to affect Xbox One sales. Maybe it will part of a larger marketing message about price cuts to the Pro too.

Right now the price drop wouldn't have any tactical benefit.

MattAces

The Persistence looks fantastic, damn.
Only problem is : such a HUGE wasted opportunity to not use Aim controller, but I totally understand why based on the gameplay. It's basically similar to RE7, a lot of crouching sneaking.

Wollan

Saw a guy playing Skyrim today with full bow & string mechanism. Looked cool so really looking forward to play it tomorrow.

Top Bottom