• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Product is wildly successful. Sells out everywhere. Discontinue???

Only Nintendo is that crazy.

I'm really not surprised that the bundle is discontinued. But Aim controller discontinued? Impossible

Wow, Dick Wilde is so good, glad I finally decided to get it. Videos don't do this game justice.

It is crazy how damn accurate it is. Aim controller or Move, both has zero wobble/jitter. Perfect tracking even if you duck and strafe around. This and Mortal Blitz are the only two games that properly demonstrate the tracking capability of PSVR, since you are required to duck a lot.

Fell out with PSVR shortly after launch, I've been waiting for digital sales on the games and it looks like this week is the time to strike!

Just jumped into the Spider-Man experience thing and it was way more fun than I expected. Loved just swinging trash around as Spidey for a bit. With the tutorial at the beginning, it really seems like there was more planned for that game at some point... I wish there was some kind of play that wasn't tutorial, lol.

Time to go stare at the store and pick out which games on sale to get. Definitely Until Dawn, probably one mooore.

Until Dawn, Statik, Mortal Blitz, Farpoint (with Aim), Dick Wilde, Statik, RE7 and a whole lot more.

Also some are saying Rigs online has some players now thanks to the sale, so hop back in and check it out.

Thanks! That actually fixed it. Yanking the breakout box output and putting it back in while it was turned on, and we're back in business. Never seen it before, hopefully never see it again.

Great :) i used to have the same issue once in awhile. It has something to do with a weak signal during the resolution change when going in and out of VR.

Wollan

Received my Farpoint bundle yesterday. Game has a surprisingly strong sci-fi tone.
Wind makes rock formations sing. Humans are well acted with realistic sounding dialogs and very impressive facial captures. It takes its time to build atmosphere while still delivering gameplay. I didn't expect the level of competency from what's basically a 'bug shooter'.

And that aim controller is great. The virtual gun looks real in VR.

DDpC79_W0AAJ3FI.jpg:large

DDpC90gXUAA9Asy.jpg:large

Grinchy

Banned
So...I played some more Arizona Sunshine co-op. This time, we did Moves with full locomotion. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we had tons of fun. Just from the same camera positioning i use for Farpoint, the Move tracking was nearly flawless. It's the best tracking I've ever had for AS.

Groups of zombies were charging in and I was just popping perfect leg shots with the pistol, one at a time. And as they crawled towards us, we did execution headshots one after another with such precision. It was very satisfying. I used a shotgun secondary, he used SMG. We shared ammo and had a blast.

The game is buggy and ugly as hell, but I have to give it some credit now that I've had the first positive session with it. I guess if you're going to play it, use Move controllers with full locomotion.

Those Farpoint shots bring back great memories! Hope they get story DLC while i wait for my friend to get it to tackle the Co-op maps.

Great visuals, Tone, But the gunplay was perfect. The gun looks so lifelike in front of you're eyes. Might go through it again to be fair.

MattAces

So...I played some more Arizona Sunshine co-op. This time, we did Moves with full locomotion. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we had tons of fun. Just from the same camera positioning i use for Farpoint, the Move tracking was nearly flawless. It's the best tracking I've ever had for AS.

Groups of zombies were charging in and I was just popping perfect leg shots with the pistol, one at a time. And as they crawled towards us, we did execution headshots one after another with such precision. It was very satisfying. I used a shotgun secondary, he used SMG. We shared ammo and had a blast.

The game is buggy and ugly as hell, but I have to give it some credit now that I've had the first positive session with it. I guess if you're going to play it, use Move controllers with full locomotion.

Damn it man, I hate you :(
I have 3 days left to think. I just bought BOTW expansion pass too and my Crash is coming this Monday.

I should just buy it right?

Grinchy

Banned
Damn it man, I hate you :(
I have 3 days left to think. I just bought BOTW expansion pass too and my Crash is coming this Monday.

I should just buy it right?

hahaha I was hoping you'd read that

If you're buying it for the AIM controller, I wouldn't rank it very high. But it sure played nicely with the Moves. All I can say is that I went from completely hating it and wanting a refund to looking forward to playing more later.

MattAces

hahaha I was hoping you'd read that

If you're buying it for the AIM controller, I wouldn't rank it very high. But it sure played nicely with the Moves. All I can say is that I went from completely hating it and wanting a refund to looking forward to playing more later.

I planned to play it with Move anyway.
See, I have a problem. Backlog problems. As soon as a game gets into my backlog list, it's gone forever. I have a major problem with old games, that's why I ended up not getting R&C. If I ignore Arizona Sunshine for another week, I will forget about it forever. Especially now with the 10% discount, as soon as the discount period is over, good bye to that game. If two weeks later the game got patched to fix Aim, I will hate myself even more. Also I will be playing single player primarily, so I don't really mind if the co-op is broken/buggy.
Same story with Nioh, I planned on waiting the 2nd or 3rd DLC before jumping into the season pass, but now I just don't care about the game anymore, which is the main reason I decided to hop into BOTW season pass immediately.

Damnnn, I just bought a PSVR yesterday and have been playing the free stuff. Spider-Man is mind blowing and Here They Lie was fucking unreal. VR is so cool!

MattAces

Damnnn, I just bought a PSVR yesterday and have been playing the free stuff. Spider-Man is mind blowing and Here They Lie was fucking unreal. VR is so cool!

Oh dude, if that free Spider-Man thing is mind blowing, you are in for a ride. That is like the lowest quality VR game.
Here's a list of free stuff : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241844484&postcount=2972
The AU store listing has a lot of stuff in US store too, so make sure you try every free stuff. Some of them are pretty good, like COD Infinite Warfare experience.

The upcoming list is going to be a nightmare unfortunately, there's too many great games coming between Summer and Fall. Theseus, Tiny Trax, Raw Data, Super Hot, Moss, Skyrim, Doom, Dino Frontier, The Persistence, SPARC.
For now you may check out Mortal Blitz, Statik (highly highly recommended), Farpoint with Aim (highly recommended), RE7, Dick Wilde and everything.

panda-zebra

Gave spidey a go this morning. Playing through was fine, as a free interactive ad for the movie all good. but loved mucking around with the physics, launching barrels and palettes down into the street and generally just messing about. I'd really like a large fun sandbox to interact with along similar lines, could be great.

Mervil's is fantastic, a real underrated gem on PSVR. Clocks in at around 6-8 hours as well so plenty to keep you busy. Real Mario64 vibes in places and uses a few similar sounds to the N64 classic.

Made the mistake of letting my boy try this out first. Over 2 hours later and I finally get to see it for myself. Feels a lot like the little robots from the demo disc, first thing I tried in VR. Really looking forward to this, despite the unintentionally comedy voice acting - especially the CBA aaaaaaaaaagh falling from a tight rope hahaha.

It's what the computer said or so he said.

Likely to be just the bundle with Farpoint not the Aim itself.

oh boy today is a new day, what should i do in VR today? maybe be Batman or try some Rush of Blood..

haha I remember this feeling (and so does my wallet!). Dunno how I'd cope now with so much out there to choose form.

Received my Farpoint bundle yesterday. Game has a surprisingly strong sci-fi tone.

Not quite as bad as Horizon, but I found myself taking plenty of screenies :) Such a great looking game.

MattAces

Guys, is FarPoint worth it? I am dying for a new VR game, but was trying to hold out for it to be on sale. Is Arizona Sunshine worth a go?

Absolutely, Some would say without Aim it's mediocre, but I will say it's a fantastic polished VR game with or without Aim. Of course Aim will improve the experience by A WHOLE LOT.

And yea, same question, is AS worth a go?

Absolutely, Some would say without Aim it's mediocre, but I will say it's a fantastic polished VR game with or without Aim. Of course Aim will improve the experience by A WHOLE LOT.

And yea, same question, is AS worth a go?

Thanks man, I think I might bite. Is the Aim Controller hard to get?

Wollan's posts made me think about the possibility of taking screenshots in VR using an in game camera instead of just a button press. The framing possibilities would be far more interesting than the standard screen capture methods.

The Dude

Mervils is incredible, I never thought how cool it'd be to actually be sort of in or eye level with a Mario type platformer world. This is a MUST buy, for 7.99 it was a total steal, I can't wait to play more.

The Dude

So what do you guys do with non gamers? I gotta say with non gamers showing this off is a bit rough because they aren't familiar with controllers or buttons, and I'm not sure if they are getting5thr clearest picture adjustment in the headset. But what are some of your go to games or experiences you fire up for them?

Also yea, so glad I lucked out finding farpoint at my local Walmart

MattAces

So what do you guys do with non gamers? I gotta say with non gamers showing this off is a bit rough because they aren't familiar with controllers or buttons, and I'm not sure if they are getting5thr clearest picture adjustment in the headset. But what are some of your go to games or experiences you fire up for them?

Also yea, so glad I lucked out finding farpoint at my local Walmart

Avoid moving games like RE7, Rigs or any of those DS4 game. Generally to show off VR, play any of those PSMove game. My sister is a non-gamer and she enjoyed Dick Wilde and Job Simulator the most. London Heist and the Shark one are pretty good too.

Additional Edit (I got disconnected halfway) : Mortal Blitz is another good one because it's very polished, has great graphics, easily immersed. The most important thing is to not give them any motion sickness. Every time I see my local game shops demonstrating PSVR with Driveclub VR or Robinson, it frustrates the hell out of me. Just leaving bad impression to them. Not that they are bad games, but those are really on the category one of nausea games.

darkwing

Avoid moving games like RE7, Rigs or any of those DS4 game. Generally to show off VR, play any of those PSMove game. My sister is a non-gamer and she enjoyed Dick Wilde and Job Simulator the most. London Heist and the Shark one are pretty good too.

this is a very good suggestion, although my first VR game was Farpoint with the Aim controller and now i'm spoiled lol

Which VR games have the most replay value? Eyeing a few different ones in the store and that might be a deciding factor. Worlds is a bit of a one and done, right?

Which VR games have the most replay value? Eyeing a few different ones in the store and that might be a deciding factor. Worlds is a bit of a one and done, right?
Battle zone has a procedure generated campaign mode. Every time you play the map and mission layout is randomized and you earn new weapons and upgrades as you play.

MattAces

Dick Wilde if you are into SUPER challenging and active VR game. It has a shit load of weapon that plays differently for both Move and Aim. There's 9 different map layout with different themed animals. The gameplay is more or less the same for every level but they are extremely challenging and fun to just replay trying to win.

Mortal Blitz is extremely short, maybe 1 hour long. The game is basically Time Crisis in VR, another very active VR game where you need to duck behind a box and stuff. It has 3 difficulties, the shooting and tethering enemy is fun enough for replayability. There's also 50 training/challenge mode, you can blaze through them very fast, but some of them are very challenging and fun too.

Farpoint. Challenge mode. Co-op. Story. Don't have to speak much about this game. It's the shining beacon of PSVR game.

Holoball. Not bad, several challenges, fun to play and listen to your own music. Although SPARC is coming, which sounds to be the better game with multiplayer.

Eagle Flight. Fantastic challenging lengthy game, some people dislike the anti motion sickness filter, but I didn't mind it too much.

RE7. Well it's a full game with a shit load of things to unlock, but I assume you've played this already.

Oh dude, if that free Spider-Man thing is mind blowing, you are in for a ride. That is like the lowest quality VR game.
Here's a list of free stuff : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241844484&postcount=2972
The AU store listing has a lot of stuff in US store too, so make sure you try every free stuff. Some of them are pretty good, like COD Infinite Warfare experience.

The upcoming list is going to be a nightmare unfortunately, there's too many great games coming between Summer and Fall. Theseus, Tiny Trax, Raw Data, Super Hot, Moss, Skyrim, Doom, Dino Frontier, The Persistence, SPARC.
For now you may check out Mortal Blitz, Statik (highly highly recommended), Farpoint with Aim (highly recommended), RE7, Dick Wilde and everything.

Cool! Thanks for the recommendations! I have RE7 so I'll def be checking that out! I didn't know Raw Data or Super Hot were coming; very excited about those two!

The Dude

Good suggestions, what experiences do you guys find the absolute best?

I think the shark attack is one, what are some others... I haven't had a chance to check out more yet as I've actually gamed with it. But what else is sort of a stand there look around and have wow moments?

MattAces

Good suggestions, what experiences do you guys find the absolute best?

I think the shark attack is one, what are some others... I haven't had a chance to check out more yet as I've actually gamed with it. But what else is sort of a stand there look around and have wow moments?

Kitchen is definitely a shit your pants moment. But the graphic is awful, since it's a very PSVR tech demo. But since you don't move at all, it's a good demonstration.

Star Wars Battlefront and COD Infinite Warfare definitely will put the biggest wow, space stuff, giant ships, although it is a fast moving cockpit game, which might be pretty nauseating. I will say, it is short enough to demo it, so you should be fine with these.

The Dude

I'm loving the adventure genre in vr guys, excites me more than anything. The Assembly is so far just so awesome, and I'm lookin forward to tryin Statik soon also

Man that Spidey experience was a tease. Sony needs to incorporate a full VR mode in next year's game.

On a related note, with the superhero genre so hot at the moment, why isn't anyone else( other than the BAtman Arkham game) getting in on this? Give me a Hulk smash simulator, Iron man or Superman flying simulator. So much potential...

MattAces

Alright now let's not derail my discussion.

Arizona Sunshine, please help me. I have a bad decision making problem.
Few days ago, I told myself I'm only allowed to buy one game. It is either BOTW expansion pass for the Switch, Arizona Sunshine for PSVR or Crash for PS4.

Now I'm sitting with Crash and BOTW expansion pass. Save me.

MattAces

Man that Spidey experience was a tease. Sony needs to incorporate a full VR mode in next year's game.

On a related note, with the superhero genre so hot at the moment, why isn't anyone else( other than the BAtman Arkham game) getting in on this? Give me a Hulk smash simulator, Iron man or Superman flying simulator. So much potential...

Marvel is said to be working on big VR projects, so there's that.
https://uploadvr.com/marvel-games-promises-amazing-things-vr/

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Speaking of Arizona Sunshine, can anyone post the plain old Move controls? I'm in the
cavern and just got the elevator lever
. I'm getting super slammed here and I've got grenades but I can't figure out how to use them. Sometimes I'll bumble-fuck my way into grabbing them and pulling the pin but then they don't throw like the rubber ducky or other stuff.

The Dude

Mervils is just so damn cool. I just love because it's more of a classic game experience but you're right in it, absolutely love that.

joeblow

A Mortal Blitz patch released yesterday, adding Pro support. The visuals do look cleaner, but not as big of a jump as, say, RE7 's Kitchen demo compared to the final game with Pro support.

Unfortunately, the audio is still so weak that I have to blast it and artificially add receiver bass enhancements just to make it sound decent. I guess that patch isn't ready yet.

Speaking of Arizona Sunshine, can anyone post the plain old Move controls? I'm in the
cavern and just got the elevator lever
. I'm getting super slammed here and I've got grenades but I can't figure out how to use them. Sometimes I'll bumble-fuck my way into grabbing them and pulling the pin but then they don't throw like the rubber ducky or other stuff.

Haha, ive given up on trying to throw grenades.

The game is stupid in that sense that you can't give objects momentum like throwing items in say Job Simulator. The grenades just drop :p

Loving Star Trek Bridge Crew at the moment. Thought I'd play a bit of single player today and try the voice commands, they work really well.

It's a small thing but being able to issue commands to the crew by talking to them really adds to the immersion of being a Star Fleet Captain.

From a scale of 1 to buy, how fun is it. I mean Arizona Sunshine.

Somewhere around a "yeah its pretty fun" with Move controllers. With the Aim it was painful.

I feel like its worth a buy. It's a rare game as it's a longer campaign in VR.

Im very wary with these 20$ games now that are just 4 short levels or so.

Shoeless

It's not my imagination, is it? There's some serious "second wave" activity on this thread over the last week or two. Suddenly got a lot of new VR converts embracing a dead gimmick that has no future in "real gaming."

Top Bottom