• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

It is overpriced for what you get. $15-$20 would be more acceptable. It just isn't much fun in my opinion. The tracking issues make it frustrating as well but the main issue is the bland and repetitive gameplay. The game is just lacking in so many ways.

I don't mind on the price, VR games tend to be much more expensive compared to normal games in terms of depth and content. I'm not expecting any story or crazy set pieces because as long as the gunplay is fun in a VR shooting game, I'm good. And that is exactly what I'm getting from this game, I'm in the finding key area and really loving it a lot so far. Unfortunately the smooth turning causes me a little motion sickness I had to pause it, I might change it to segmented rotation later. Tracking is absolutely fine for me with Move controller, I know Aim controller is having a lot of problems. There's zero wobble for me too.

As for the minor jittery, those are definitely the software side issue, it's just over sensitive. I can definitely feel my hand shaking all the time and it applies in the game directly, so maybe some deadzone calibration may fix it easily. This is all played using PS Move, I haven't tried any Aim. It is definitely no Mortal Blitz or Dick Wilde in terms of stability, but it's not as bad as people are describing it. no where near as bad.

MattAces

Alright just tried out Aim controller mode. Not as bad as I thought, really.
Interaction definitely felt weird, I wish I can split the Aim controller into half whenever I'm in interaction mode and combine them back when I'm using rifle, but I got used to it by holding the Aim controller only with my left hand when I'm interacting stuff.

The jittery is pretty much on the same level with Farpoint, maybe just a little worse, but just as I speculated, the main problem came from the iron sight. Unlike Farpoint where you get a big glowing holographic sight, you have to aim through that freaking tiny little hole. The jittery is definitely there, similar to those Farpoint trailers, but aiming with it wasn't so bad, I still manage to headshot my way through the bridge. The following guns will be much better, iron sights aren't as tiny as the first rifle, that is definitely a bad choice of gun to start with. The sight is definitely the problem here and unless they can implement Dick Wilde level of tracking, adding a holographic sight can easily improve the aiming.
So far I'm liking PSMove mode more.

man i really enjoyed the Rush of Blood demo, looked surprisingly good imo and the shooting felt so fun. it's so trippy to see virtual arms and hands mimicking your movements and holding two Moves that look like guns in your hands, i couldn't get over how cool it is.

is the full game worth it? thinking of waiting on a good sale on the Euro store, got so much other stuff to play meanwhile.

MattAces

Damnit now I'm back to wanting Arizona Sunshine

Don't worry, I know the pain. If you're on PS4 Pro and love shooting zombie, it's a lovely game.
I might be a little bias since I've always loved apocalyptic setting + zombie games. But it's really a fun game with PSMove. Aim controller is definitely questionable and I might not continue that mode until possible fixes. I haven't tried Horde mode so can't comment on that. Campaign is very fun and I love it so much, can't really say anything really bad aside from the minor hiccups.

My main problem is still motion sickness, have to try the segmented rotation later, but smooth turning is giving me a pretty bad motion sickness now.

Don't worry, I know the pain. If you're on PS4 Pro and love shooting zombie, it's a lovely game.
I might be a little bias since I've always loved apocalyptic setting + zombie games. But it's really a fun game with PSMove. Aim controller is definitely questionable and I might not continue that mode until possible fixes. I haven't tried Horde mode so can't comment on that. Campaign is very fun and I love it so much, can't really say anything really bad aside from the minor hiccups.

My main problem is still motion sickness, have to try the segmented rotation later, but smooth turning is giving me a pretty bad motion sickness now.

I might just pull the trigger on it then. Horror/Zombie fan so the theme is on point for me. No Aim controller so I'm glad to hear the Moves work better for it.

Downloading now!

MattAces

I might just pull the trigger on it then. Horror/Zombie fan so the theme is on point for me. No Aim controller so I'm glad to hear the Moves work better for it.

Downloading now!

You might need to adjust your setting for it, some are saying higher camera pointing down works better, while some prefer lower camera aiming up. Mine works really well with camera pointing down.
Also make sure you explore the movement properly. A lot of people didn't realize you can strafe with pointing your hand back, left or right while pressing the moving button. Basically you can use your left hand as a moving controller, while right hand is used to handle the weapon. You can point backward and press the moving button while shooting infront of you.

Also make sure you do a restart/boot up from completely off mode. A common tip for PSVR really, but few days ago I was playing Spider-Man experience and my right Move controller tracking is all over the place, pisses me off so much until I realize I booted it up from rest mode. Did a simple restart and the tracking became flawless.

man i really enjoyed the Rush of Blood demo, looked surprisingly good imo and the shooting felt so fun. it's so trippy to see virtual arms and hands mimicking your movements and holding two Moves that look like guns in your hands, i couldn't get over how cool it is.

is the full game worth it? thinking of waiting on a good sale on the Euro store, got so much other stuff to play meanwhile.

Yes it is, still one of the best PSVR titles imho.

Grinchy

Banned
We played through the entire campaign on Hard in one sitting and it wasn't enough to get the trophy for playing 4 hours straight. We were definitely done playing when the campaign ended. I'm kinda surprised there's not a trophy for beating it on Hard, and you can't do co-op for Apocalyptic.

Those Horde mode trophies are gonna be tough too (killing 300, 400, and 600 in a row).

On a side note, I really disliked the cavern level with the Move controller. Having to hold the controller backwards for the flashlight was very uncomfortable while doing the smooth locomotion/strafing controls.

K-row

Neo Member
We played through the entire campaign on Hard in one sitting and it wasn't enough to get the trophy for playing 4 hours straight. We were definitely done playing when the campaign ended. I'm kinda surprised there's not a trophy for beating it on Hard, and you can't do co-op for Apocalyptic.

Those Horde mode trophies are gonna be tough too (killing 300, 400, and 600 in a row).

On a side note, I really disliked the cavern level with the Move controller. Having to hold the controller backwards for the flashlight was very uncomfortable while doing the smooth locomotion/strafing controls.

I heard that hitting O flips the flashlight around. I never tried it since I was past that part when I heard it and have no plans to replay the game. I also found that frustrating so hopefully this helps someone else if it turns out to be true.

MattAces

CastleStorm VR is apparently coming soon.

From where? Wasn't it an Oculus thing? Also I just watched some gameplay, looks like a pointless VR implementation.

Just played more Arizona Sunshine, segmented definitely helps a lot but not as immersive, I might go back to smooth turning. Also the game quietness, zombie footstep roaming around inside the building is so god damn stressful. One of the building with a minor spoiler -
dead zombie hiding in a refrigerator made me shit my pant.
Really have to appreciate the campaign mode with indoors, exploring, interacting stuff, which is very rare in VR game. Opening car doors and cupboard to get ammo still feels really good.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

RoB is less than $10 everywhere nowadays for a physical copy and might actually be on sale digitally right now.

Totally worth it!

Maligna

Banned
Is there any way to drop a gun in AS?

My belt has a gun on each side and both hands have guns in them. I kind of want the ability to have a free hand and take out an extra gun from my belt just when I need it.

MattAces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fym7ZGL6QqU
Arizona Sunshine: Technical Review & Visual Comparison PSVR PS4Pro-PS4
by NX Gamer

Well now I absolutely understand what the PS4 players are complaining. The fog is extremely thick on standard PS4. The PS4 Pro view distance is significantly upgraded. PS4 Pro view distance is similar to the PC version, texture is downgraded of course with a few missing assets to reduce the rendering.
*PS4/Pro output is 720p in social screen while PC is outputting much higher res in social screen.
KcmHQOX.png

PC version :
vp3234P.png

Also he mention this is his favorite VR title, he really enjoyed it.

kinggroin

Banned
I hope so so so much you guys eventually get Pavlov ported over with custom map support.

Holy fuck is it fun. Probably the most satisfying gunplay I've had in multiplayer VR.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Evidently a patch is up for Arizona Sunshine. Anyone know if there's any actual improvement? Not pulling the trigger on this one unless tracking gets way better.

MattAces

Evidently a patch is up for Arizona Sunshine. Anyone know if there's any actual improvement? Not pulling the trigger on this one unless tracking gets way better.

If you meant 1.01, no it doesn't fix any tracking issue. Just some touch up on the horde stuff and language setting.
I will just repeat since my post was pretty lengthy previously.
PSMove tracking is fine, there was never a huge tracking issue, it simply felt like over-sensitive tracking. On Aim it is roughly on the level of Farpoint in terms of shaky hand/jittery, maybe a little worse. Main problem is the tiny iron sight, so unless they can achieve Dick Wilde level of perfect tracking, they might just have to improve the gun iron sight. This problem only applies to the first gun though, the later guns aren't that bad.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Got it, thanks for the reply. Sounds like adjustments need to be made to the game itself rather than the tracking libraries.

Is Job Simulator known to have tracking issues? I have only played the demo and it always wants me to stand super far away. It gets pretty bad in terms of keeping track of the move controllers. Everything else I've tried has been fine. Is this something on the game's end and if so, has it been fixed?

Is Job Simulator known to have tracking issues? I have only played the demo and it always wants me to stand super far away. It gets pretty bad in terms of keeping track of the move controllers. Everything else I've tried has been fine. Is this something on the game's end and if so, has it been fixed?
Job Simulator is the only PSVR game I really don't have room to play in my apartment since it wants you to stand/sit so far away from the camera.

MattAces

Not sure about the demo, but the final game worked really well for me. I've seen a lot of similar complaints about the game tracking, so it seems like a hit or miss for many people. And yes, a lot of standing VR game actually requires you to stand far away, you need to make an adjustment to your camera too, the best option is always putting the camera at least on your head level while standing, higher the better pointing down. This way it will keep track of you ducking down and picking stuff up. Generally for sitting game, 1 meter to 1.5 meter away from camera is fine. For standing game however, you will need at least 2.5 meter to 3 meter away from camera, and 2.5 meter wide of spaces. Also you need to know the boundary of the camera field of view. So avoid turning too far away from the camera where the PS Move light is blocked by your body/other hand.

Job Simulator is the only PSVR game I really don't have room to play in my apartment since it wants you to stand/sit so far away from the camera.

Not sure about the demo, but the final game worked really well for me. I've seen a lot of similar complaints about the game tracking, so it seems like a hit or miss for many people. And yes, a lot of standing VR game actually requires you to stand far away, you need to make an adjustment to your camera too, the best option is always putting the camera at least on your head level while standing, higher the better pointing down. This way it will keep track of you ducking down and picking stuff up. Generally for sitting game, 1 meter to 1.5 meter away from camera is fine. For standing game however, you will need at least 2.5 meter to 3 meter away from camera, and 2.5 meter wide of spaces.

Ah, so the far away standing thing isn't my fault. It's ok, just didn't know if it was supposed to be like that. I'm getting the full game in a few days, so I'll be sure to try that stuff out. Thanks!

Grinchy

Banned
Ah, so the far away standing thing isn't my fault. It's ok, just didn't know if it was supposed to be like that. I'm getting the full game in a few days, so I'll be sure to try that stuff out. Thanks!

The company put up this info for the best tracking setup for their game. It also works for pretty much all standing games (other than Holoball, which requires you to stand even further back).

https://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/

MattAces

Every game requirement differs, some will have a fixed distance and some will be calibrated accordingly. Those that requires fixed distance are for a good reason though, Farpoint and Holoball might be the two that requires the furthest distance from the camera. The only problem I remember having from Job Simulator was the bad wobble, but that was before I learn the trick of restarting PS4 and booting up headset from flat surface. Tried the game again two weeks ago and it was working really well for me.

yeah, i BARELY got the demo working by moving my couch as far back as possible. worth the hassle though, seems like a super fun game to just mess around in, experimenting with all the interactivity. i poured coffee on the keyboard and then threw the cup at the boss, then used the copy machine to make a copy of my password note, for no reason. i was amazed it worked heh. i put it in the wrong side up first and thought it didn't work.. idiot

i have to get the full game at some point. every damn VR game i try makes me think I GOTTA HAVE THIS. sigh.

The company put up this info for the best tracking setup for their game. It also works for pretty much all standing games (other than Holoball, which requires you to stand even further back).

https://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/

Every game requirement differs, some will have a fixed distance and some will be calibrated accordingly. Those that requires fixed distance are for a good reason though, Farpoint and Holoball might be the two that requires the furthest distance from the camera. The only problem I remember having from Job Simulator was the bad wobble, but that was before I learn the trick of restarting PS4 and booting up headset from flat surface. Tried the game again two weeks ago and it was working really well for me.

Very useful stuff! Thanks guys, I will put these into practice!

MattAces

yeah, i BARELY got the demo working by moving my couch as far back as possible. worth the hassle though, seems like a super fun game to just mess around in, experimenting with all the interactivity. i poured coffee on the keyboard and then threw the cup at the boss, then used the copy machine to make a copy of my password note, for no reason. i was amazed it worked heh. i put it in the wrong side up first and thought it didn't work.. idiot

i have to get the full game at some point. every damn VR game i try makes me think I GOTTA HAVE THIS. sigh.

This is the damn problem with VR. In other platform, you tend to ignore 90% of the games, but in VR you WANT to check out every single one of them. They are so distinct and provides such a different experience.
Job Simulator is a pretty fun game, too bad the game felt like an elementary kids game. They held your hands through the entire game, providing instruction for almost everything. Still a damn well done and fun game, a very good VR showcase too. An alternative of similar game but with heavy puzzle elements will be I Expect You To Die. FANTASTIC puzzle game but a super short one. Four levels with DLC planned, though it will take you a lot of time to solve it.

Also the game has an awesome music video, if you plan to get the game, avoid this video because you have to experience it in VR. Or else, this MV might convince you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UX9ZycGKDs

another great puzzler eh? shit, i really have to finish games i've already started.. Statik alone will take me quite a while because the game breaks my brain.

i'll keep I Expect You To Die in mind though. (i swear there is a post-rock band somewhere out there with that name).

Horseticuffs

So just got my Aim bundle. I haven't tried Farpoint yet but wanted to see how Arizona Sunshine worked with it.

It's a MUCH better experience with the Aim, except for the wobble which is pretty constant. Once, and if, they can fix that it'll be a good time. It's nice to be able to aim down sight and, omg, there's a switch weapon button! Locomotion that makes sense is great too.

Really hope that the Aim works with psvr 2 or the default controller is something with enough fidelity to just point your finger like a gun or something.

There can't be a separate peripheral you need to buy, if you can, next time. This is a great solution, but it can't be optional or some better solution needs to be baked in.

Goofalo

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. I know Gamestop offers a bundle with the Until Dawn game. Should I pull the $500 trigger now, or wait until a price drop later this year?

ckohler

I just played Windlands with the Moves and it was great! I highly recommend using the "Cable Control" button layout and play on Easy for the best experience. On Easy you can attach to any surface. Movement takes a little getting used to but after about 5 minutes it felt natural and intuitive. Much much better than the default control scheme.

MattAces

So just got my Aim bundle. I haven't tried Farpoint yet but wanted to see how Arizona Sunshine worked with it.

It's a MUCH better experience with the Aim, except for the wobble which is pretty constant. Once, and if, they can fix that it'll be a good time. It's nice to be able to aim down sight and, omg, there's a switch weapon button! Locomotion that makes sense is great too.

Really hope that the Aim works with psvr 2 or the default controller is something with enough fidelity to just point your finger like a gun or something.

There can't be a separate peripheral you need to buy, if you can, next time. This is a great solution, but it can't be optional or some better solution needs to be baked in.

Rifle shooting and moving is definitely much better with Aim. But the ADS is mixed for now because of the shaky tracking. The interaction however, is kind of frustrating. I'm still waiting out for Aim fix before continuing Aim mode. But go try Dick Wilde, it is fantastic in Dick Wilde.

Finally tried some Arizona Sunshine. Didn't get very far and only played under a half hour while trying to get used to the controls. I first tried the teleport method which worked ok but realized my viewpoint was always facing a direction I didn't want to be in. I have a swivel stool but it just became a pain in the ass.

Then I switched to the non teleport one (and I can't remember which options I chose) but that was a lot better to control though I had to stop playing since i got a really bad case of motion sickness from that one.

I'm having some slight tracking issues using the Moves but it's not too terrible. But I can't seem to aim for shit so I'm running out of ammo.

Gonna try again later tonight and check the different movement options.

MattAces

Finally tried some Arizona Sunshine. Didn't get very far and only played under a half hour while trying to get used to the controls. I first tried the teleport method which worked ok but realized my viewpoint was always facing a direction I didn't want to be in. I have a swivel stool but it just became a pain in the ass.

Then I switched to the non teleport one (and I can't remember which options I chose) but that was a lot better to control though I had to stop playing since i got a really bad case of motion sickness from that one.

I'm having some slight tracking issues using the Moves but it's not too terrible. But I can't seem to aim for shit so I'm running out of ammo.

Gonna try again later tonight and check the different movement options.

Use smooth movement with the segmented rotation, smooth turning is what gives you motion sickness. As for tracking, what was the main problem? Gun jittery, aiming wobble or hand is all over the place? If aiming wobble, try putting the camera on a higher angle point down. If hand is flying all over the place, do a restart.

Use smooth movement with the segmented rotation, smooth turning is what gives you motion sickness. As for tracking, what was the main problem? Gun jittery, aiming wobble or hand is all over the place? If aiming wobble, try putting the camera on a higher angle point down. If hand is flying all over the place, do a restart.

Thanks! I'll try the smooth movement with segmented rotation. In regards to tracking, first it was my in game hands/guns just floating upwards to the heavens. I remembered a comment you made earlier about adjusting the camera to be higher up and angled down. That seemed to fix the flying phantom hands. Now it's just pretty jittery. I can compensate for it but I end up wasting ammo trying to find the sweet spot.

Despite those few issues, what I have played of it was fun!

MattAces

Thanks! I'll try the smooth movement with segmented rotation. In regards to tracking, first it was my in game hands/guns just floating upwards to the heavens. I remembered a comment you made earlier about adjusting the camera to be higher up and angled down. That seemed to fix the flying phantom hands. Now it's just pretty jittery. I can compensate for it but I end up wasting ammo trying to find the sweet spot.

Despite those few issues, what I have played of it was fun!

Yea, that floating hand was definitely one of the main complaint I've read, but I seriously haven't experienced that at all in both Move and Aim. Although, I did have a super weird hand flying all over the place in Spider-Man, which I mentioned previously that I've manage to fix it with a reboot.
Here's a short gameplay I've recorded just now, footage definitely seem more jittery than what I've felt, but I will say, my hand were shaking while aiming down sight, so I was using my left hand as a support, I even ADS by directly putting the PSMove in my face, no wobbling issue at all. Also I was picking stuff up from the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS9LuTp_cIQ *Nothing happens between 4:00 to 5:45, so skip that*

ryseing

The GB Quick Look sold me on Polybius. Holy shit man. HOLY SHIT.

Game is something else. It's up there with Thumper and Rez as games that work fine in 2D but become an entirely new experience in VR with positional audio.

The Dude

Not sure if anyone else has nausea issues but so far, snap turning has helped me... Made a huge difference in my vr gaming. Didn't make my head hot, no nausea or dizziness, lookin forward to testing it more.

h0mebas3

This E3 definitely has me taking a second look at PSVR. If Archangel drops to stellar reviews, then I will jump in. Still worried about the longevity of PSVR, but I'm willing to take a risk...

ChouGoku

Arizona sunshine is actually pretty fun, the press back on the control stick to turn around is disorienting at first but after I got used to it, it rarely is a problem. Wobble is similar to Farpoint, tracking can be off but like Farpoint shaking the controller around can fix the issue. Sniping is so fun, I really hope more sniping games are implemented with the aim controller. Truthfully the only problems I had are the 180 turn, which isn't that bad and opening things with the aim controller, which I learned today a double clicking the object makes it do what you want it to do. Pro graphics are pretty sharp, but noticeable pop in

Grinchy

Banned
I'm glad I don't get any motion sickness. Being able to play everything with full, smooth locomotion is just so nice. The snap turning stuff just feels so awful to my brain.

MattAces

Arizona sunshine is actually pretty fun, the press back on the control stick to turn around is disorienting at first but after I got used to it, it rarely is a problem. Wobble is similar to Farpoint, tracking can be off but like Farpoint shaking the controller around can fix the issue. Sniping is so fun, I really hope more sniping games are implemented with the aim controller. Truthfully the only problems I had are the 180 turn, which isn't that bad and opening things with the aim controller, which I learned today a double clicking the object makes it do what you want it to do. Pro graphics are pretty sharp, but noticeable pop in

Maybe I have a higher tolerance when it comes to VR games, but yea, it makes me sad when I see people are having a lot of trouble with Arizona Sunshine, or just VR games in general. The tracking is really comparable with many PSVR title, Brookhaven and many other titles have the same jittery but they made it work by having red dot sight, flash light and stuff as an aim assist. At the very least Arizona Sunshine allows ADS without any wobble. I would like to see them achieve Dick Wilde level of stable though, that is some next level solid tracking.

Also I refuse to believe the whole green light thing actually helps, but I will do a quick test in an hour with my color changing light bulb.

Horseticuffs

I'll say this; AS works a lot better with the camera above the display than below. Pretty acceptable for sure!

How's Brookhaven? Is it just waves after waves? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't.

Top Bottom