• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Do the spiders in Farpoint actually stick to your face? Or just jump at you and fall off?

Would be nice to have some confirmation as it might keep me from panicking too much...

MattAces

It's not my imagination, is it? There's some serious "second wave" activity on this thread over the last week or two. Suddenly got a lot of new VR converts embracing a dead gimmick that has no future in "real gaming."

Definitely more traffic going on here. There's also a shit bunch of new games constantly being announced. It's great to always see this thread in the first page, people will just hop in and see that VR is going strong.

Is Robinson: The Journey VR worth a pick up at $20?

It's a pretty meaty game. $20 is pretty good despite that I didn't really enjoy it a lot. Then again, I bought it for $60. I'm dumb.

TheMan

Tried getting a refund for Arizona Sunshine, no dice, already got a refund for steep in December. Shit sucks.

MattAces

Tried getting a refund for Arizona Sunshine, no dice, already got a refund for steep in December. Shit sucks.

I manage to get a refund with EVE Valkyrie. One of my saddest refund. Enjoyed the game so so much, but there's no server for my region. Playing on EU or US with high ping stutters a lot causing motion sickness and unplayable. I had to proxy into US customer support.

TheMan

Why do you ask for so many refunds? :D

Well, steep was purchased by my 2year old son, thought I had 2step on but I didn't. AS is mediocre as fuck with shit tracking, I'd rather have the 40 bucks to buy disgaea 5 and ratchet. Like a buffoon I bought it instantly when it went on sale early before reviews were out.

Well, steep was purchased by my 2year old son, thought I had 2step on but I didn't. AS is mediocre as fuck with shit tracking, I'd rather have the 40 bucks to buy disgaea 5 and ratchet. Like a buffoon I bought it instantly when it went on sale early before reviews were out.

Tracking works fine with Move controllers, i dont think "mediocre" is enough to warrant a refund.

But yeah, always wait for reviews if it's not a Yakuza game or something from Blizzard :D

TheMan

Tracking works fine with Move controllers, i dont think "mediocre" is enough to warrant a refund.

But yeah, always wait for reviews if it's not a Yakuza game or something from Blizzard :D
I bought the game for use with aim, it doesn't work well, don't give a shit about move.

MattAces

DDo5B_sXoAA1l7-.jpg

Apparently this game is for VR too.
Found this old trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtzWya9ypoQ

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
AS has such fucked controls. Really. In the heat of the moment I can't tell what weapons I have, what particular ruleset of thrown items the grenades fall under. It is just unfortunate.

I feel like there could be something here if they just put a bit more thought into things. There's definitely potential.

AS makes me wish there was a new House of the Dead, or a remake of Overkill.

Beat Mortal Blitz just now. Really very much an arcade experience. Short, no story worth mentioning, very impressive. It's simple, but it's a great VR experience. More varied environments would be welcome.

Just tried the Spiderman 5min thing, Pretty neat and like Batman, Makes you feel like the character way more than you would/do playing them on standard TV gaming. VR adds so much immersion.

Led me to those 360 videos on youtube and some are cool to be fair, Watching Hellblade trailer in VR makes me think the future of VR could look like that in gaming one day.

Farpoint has set the standard along with R7, Has anyone tried VRkarts? Me and a friend wanna try it but not sure if it's worth a punt.

MattAces

Just tried the Spiderman 5min thing, Pretty neat and like Batman, Makes you feel like the character way more than you would/do playing them on standard TV gaming. VR adds so much immersion.

Led me to those 360 videos on youtube and some are cool to be fair, Watching Hellblade trailer in VR makes me think the future of VR could look like that in gaming one day.

Farpoint has set the standard along with R7, Has anyone tried VRkarts? Me and a friend wanna try it but not sure if it's worth a punt.

It's awful. Also that price is insane compared to the mobile port, which cost like $4...?

MattAces

Soooooo Resident Evil 7 is the best use of technology I have ever seen. The title screen alone is jaw dropping in VR.

Please find a Farpoint Aim bundle, that will blow your mind. RE7 is one of the best VR game, but it's still in the category of "standard controller + sitting" experience.
For me any of the standing + motion controls are always the best.

Grinchy

Banned
So what do you guys do with non gamers? I gotta say with non gamers showing this off is a bit rough because they aren't familiar with controllers or buttons, and I'm not sure if they are getting5thr clearest picture adjustment in the headset. But what are some of your go to games or experiences you fire up for them?

Also yea, so glad I lucked out finding farpoint at my local Walmart

omg, showing this off to my family last Thanksgiving was simultaneously entertaining and frustrating. Helping a bunch of non-gamers with VR for the entire day minus the time we ate was exhausting.

However, they all loved Rush of Blood. It was easy to understand and it's exciting. Job Simulator was another good choice, though it requires some setup stuff that was difficult for some of them. "It's blurry" was said many times and I'd be constantly shifting the headset up or down for them to hit the sweet spot.

It's definitely funny trying to describe to someone who doesn't play games to "hold the start button to recenter" or "just hit triangle" when they have no concept of these controllers.

dochuge

I completely forgot about Walmart in my search for this. Apparently the Walmart one town over has one available to order for in-store pickup, and it will be mine. So, thank you.

I was shocked that my Walmart had this too. I bought it right away. Even the cashier commented how rare they are to find/get.

The Dude

Seeing the first bigger enemies was such a jaw dropping moment. Also the feel of the shotgun, shooting nades and switching weapons is absolutely incredible and bad ass

The Dude

omg, showing this off to my family last Thanksgiving was simultaneously entertaining and frustrating. Helping a bunch of non-gamers with VR for the entire day minus the time we ate was exhausting.

However, they all loved Rush of Blood. It was easy to understand and it's exciting. Job Simulator was another good choice, though it requires some setup stuff that was difficult for some of them. "It's blurry" was said many times and I'd be constantly shifting the headset up or down for them to hit the sweet spot.

It's definitely funny trying to describe to someone who doesn't play games to "hold the start button to recenter" or "just hit triangle" when they have no concept of these controllers.

Yea man, and all you want to do is help them achieve a good experience but it's like OMG even the simplest things are literally like asking them to open their chest, pull out their heart and then perform heart surgery on themselves... It's sometimes that brutally hard lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Seeing the first bigger enemies was such a jaw dropping moment. Also the feel of the shotgun, shooting nades and switching weapons is absolutely incredible and bad ass

I've played pretty much every big VR game on every headset.

I have to say that when you're standing in front of that cave in Farpoint and the first massive spider boss comes out is the defining moment for me when I said "VR is here, it's happening, and it is as amazing as it promised to be"

darkwing

I've played pretty much every big VR game on every headset.

I have to say that when you're standing in front of that cave in farpoint and the first massive spider boss comes out is the defining moment for me when I said "VR is here, it's happening, and it is as amazing as it promised to be"

Amazing moment.

yup, non vr FPS games for you will never be the same after that

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't realize it until the end of the Arizona Sunshine campaign, but when you play with the Moves and full locomotion/strafing, you can hold X and point the controller to the side or behind you. That lets you walk backwards or strafe to the side.

majik13

holy shit

the VR Worlds game menu screen

why... why didnt anyone tell me

it's.. beatiful.

at least on Pro it looks damn near photoreal to me, and messing around with the various spheres was nuts. the lighting, textures, physics and everything just hypnotized me... I COULD REACH MY HEAD FORWARDS INTO THE SPHERE MADE OF WATER AND BLOW BUBBLES INSIDE IT WITH MY OWN MOUTH AND SPLASH ITS SURFACE WITH MY DUALSHOCK! HOW EXACTLY IS THIS POSSIBLE ON A VIDEOGAME CONSOLE?

i know i sound hyperbolic but i can't help it, this feels like the closest thing to magic or alien technology that i've experienced :D i still remember playing SNES games and being seriously impressed by Mode 7 visuals on a tiny tv screen. i almost can't even process this and i love it.

guess how i felt about Ocean Descent when i finally jumped into it.. not even gonna go into details because everyone would laugh at me and think i'm being ridiculous.

Had a pretty similar reaction when I suddenly figured out how interactive it all was. Probably spent a good 20 mins messing around in the menu. Pretty incredibly stuff.

Maligna

Banned
I originally was going to try to get a refund for Arizona Sunshine after my first night with it. I tried playing with the AIM and shit just straight up didn't work.

Tried playing again tonight except with the moves. Man, this game is actually pretty fun! I love going up to a building, turning the handle and creaking the door open a bit and then physically leaning in to peek at the inside. And I like how hard it is to pull off headshots at anything other the right up close. You have to be super deliberate and accurate. Just like you would in real life.

That being said. I really hope they can get the AIM working with a patch.

Also, does anyone know how to get power to the elevator in the mine?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's a pretty meaty game. $20 is pretty good despite that I didn't really enjoy it a lot. Then again, I bought it for $60. I'm dumb.

You must have downloaded it. It was $39.99 for physical day one.
EDIT: or maybe you got it on Amazon.

MattAces

I originally was going to try to get a refund for Arizona Sunshine after my first night with it. I tried playing with the AIM and shit just straight up didn't work.

Tried playing again tonight except with the moves. Man, this game is actually pretty fun! I love going up to a building, turning the handle and creaking the door open a bit and then physically leaning in to peek at the inside. And I like how hard it is to pull off headshots at anything other the right up close. You have to be super deliberate and accurate. Just like you would in real life.

That being said. I really hope they can get the AIM working with a patch.

Can you guys seriously stop this :(
Everybody here went from Oh my god I want a refund, this sucks to Hey it's pretty fun.
Funny enough I'm still considering. 2 days left for me. I might actually bite this time... Just saw pushsquare review 5/10, to be fair, he played it with Aim during the first few days.
So who is still against buying Arizona Sunshine except for that one person trying to get refund. Seems like everybody here is pretty happy about it now?

In other news, I've been seeing a lot of Farpoint bundle available here and there reports, sounds like a restock for a lot of places. So check your nearest game shops asap.

Yup, it's a lot of fun with Moves :)

You gotta find a lever from one of the caves for the power generator. You'll know it when you see it...

Everybody here went from Oh my god I want a refund, this sucks to Hey it's pretty fun.
Funny enough I'm still considering. 2 days left for me. I might actually bite this time... Just saw pushsquare review 5/10, to be fair, he played it with Aim during the first few days.
So who is still against buying Arizona Sunshine except for that one person trying to get refund. Seems like everybody here is pretty happy about it now?

We are still pissed that the Aim controller doesnt work. Which is probably what most of us tried first and were very disappointed.

MattAces

Yup, it's a lot of fun with Moves :)

You gotta find a lever from one of the caves for the power generator. You'll know it when you see it...

We are still pissed that the Aim controller doesnt work. Which is probably what most of us tried first and were very disappointed.

I really don't mind on the Aim, I'm sure they will fix it since they are very open about it, they posted an entire list of things to fix in reddit and they are pretty good at admitting these broken stuff, so kudos to them.
I can always play with Move. It's in my cart now, so I'm closer to getting it than before.
Funny how I bought everything in the end. Upcoming game is going to be a huge problem for me.

also I'm so sorry to this thread for the hundreds of posts from me whining if I should get AS.

Loudninja

Replying to @Terranova667

We're working on improvements to the shooting down the sights experience with the Aim - stay tuned.
@TheBaggies71 @RTShark and

Hi there, floating is caused by lost PS VR tracking. We are working on a solution for this (1/2)
@Vertigo_Games @TheBaggies71 and

In the mean time, please try not to turn too far away from the PS Camera to avoid it. We're working on it! (2/2)
https://twitter.com/Vertigo_Games/status/880825256327380992

MattAces

Going to get it whenever ever I get the money :p

Damn it. That 10% is going away soon. It will be at least two or three months before it gets another discount. Plus there won't be any special season for another wave of discount until black friday/christmas.

Edit : ahh shit I just bought it "accidentally". Will definitely share my thoughts soon.

Sporran

Arizona seems to get a lot of flack, but have to say its getting lots of love from me.

Farpoint does have the egde on graphics but its just an edge, and they both have different styles. From my experience Farpoint and Arizona both have tracking issues and no one is worse than the other in my experience. I just lower the gun to the side of my leg for a second so its out of sight, and then raise it back. Sorted no game breaker, before an encounter I do it anyway both on Farpoint and Arizona.

The game really is intense and creepy as hell. I was so glad when I came out the other side of the
caves
i'm such a shit pants.

Yep the first gun is hard to ADS but have to say the other guns are fine, and once you get hold of the sniper its :D

Mild game level spoilers, but me sniping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7GgD2xbx4&t=277s

Yep some headshots and some not, i based that on the fact if you hold the Aim stiff, concentrate there slight movement and i cannot hold the controller absolutely dead centre.

Anyway.excuse the fuck at the end, when your faced with about 30 of the little shits, its fight of flight. I started shooting and thought better, ran and they chased me :(

The only problem for me is, a few of my friends were all going to get this, they held off due to reviews and complaints. Boy they are missing a treat!

MattAces

Arizona seems to get a lot of flack, but have to say its getting lots of love from me.

Farpoint does have the egde on graphics but its just an edge, and they both have different styles. From my experience Farpoint and Arizona both have tracking issues and no one is worse than the other in my experience. I just lower the gun to the side of my leg for a second so its out of sight, and then raise it back. Sorted no game breaker, before an encounter I do it anyway both on Farpoint and Arizona.

The game really is intense and creepy as hell. I was so glad when I came out the other side of the
caves
i'm such a shit pants.

Yep the first gun is hard to ADS but have to say the other guns are fine, and once you get hold of the sniper its :D

Mild game level spoilers, but me sniping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7GgD2xbx4&t=277s

Yep some headshots and some not, i based that on the fact if you hold the Aim stiff, concentrate there slight movement and i cannot hold the controller absolutely dead centre.

Anyway.excuse the fuck at the end, when your faced with about 30 of the little shits, its fight of flight. I started shooting and thought better, ran and they chased me :(

The only problem for me is, a few of my friends were all going to get this, they held off due to reviews and complaints. Boy they are missing a treat!

Thank you so much for reassuring my purchase.

Also Arizona Sunshine theme doesn't have music, what the hell. Back to Wonder Woman theme.

Joystick

Two more games:

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle

There's a two player split-screen versus mode along with a two player online battle mode. One of the reasons the game may be so poor visually is because it also has a full fledged VR mode in support of the PlayStation VR headset.

Release date: 5th September 2017

http://nisamerica.com/games/touhou-kobuto-v/
https://youtu.be/TQ4fvNcqUes
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/0...intendo-switch-ps4-delayed-to-oct-10th/34169/

Logtown Studios Announce VR Exploration Title Cloudborn

Cloudborn is a immersive exploratory adventure in which players have to climb and scale the videogame world to uncover the fate of a lost civilisation.

Logtown Studios plan on releasing Cloudborn on both headsets (Rift,Vive) during September 2017. Additionally, the team also plans on bringing the videogame to PlayStation VR, although no launch date has been confirmed just yet.

https://youtu.be/OdMTtlBnwIg
https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/06/log...title-cloudborn-for-htc-vive-and-oculus-rift/

MattAces

Oh my god, just finished the starting area of Arizona Sunshine.
You people are insane for saying how terrible it is. Now I hate myself for not buying it earlier.

Playing it on the Pro, the graphic is fantastic aside from the jaggies aliasing. It's very immersive in the rocky area, everything is very clear including distance stuff. Really really surprised by the graphic. Maybe on standard it is really ugly because that's what I've been reading.

Only played it with Move, and god damn, the tracking is absolutely fine. In fact, they somehow successfully allow ADS on Move because even in games like Mortal Blitz and Brookhaven, as soon as the Move is on your headset, it wobbles like crazy. Somehow in AS they manage to make it work, well at least for a few seconds before it starts to wobble, but you CAN actually ADS and put the Move infront of your face, this is pretty crazy.

The shooting is fun, opening car doors finding ammo and stuff is extremely fun. Sound is fine. I can see the game design, as in stage design will have some problem with PSVR, with the sharp left/right turn and going up hill, you really need to know the camera field of view.

Full locomotion with PS Move is fine, I immediately get used to it. Only small problem is I'm tall as hell, how do I solve this again because the holster is in my face. I remember reading some tips on this, adjusting camera or something.

Sporran

Only small problem is I'm tall as hell, how do I solve this again because the holster is in my face. I remember reading some tips on this, adjusting camera or something.

I used to get a similar thing in Driveclub. So i used to crouch a bit and then use the option button to reset the view :)

MattAces

I used to get a similar thing in Driveclub. So i used to crouch a bit and then use the option button to reset the view :)

Ah, the problem for me is weird, the table and cars are very low while the distance of floor to my head felt normal, but I've fixed it by putting my camera higher up pointing down, I read about this where your height is determined by the camera height in AS (it's a bug and will be fixed).

Also with this setup, I can crouch fully down and pick up stuff from the floor, open car doors, pick up ammo by actually reaching to it, didn't have to utilize the item magnet.
I'm having so god damn much fun in this game, also for motion sickness, I can see why people are having problem with it. The game is designed for room scale without a doubt, so there's a lot of camera rotation required. People dislike the segmented rotation and use smooth turning, which causes motion sickness. The entire game structure requires you to go back and forth, turn camera left and right all the time unlike Farpoint where you are always moving forward.

I do wish that they include collectible stuff, I just love the setting of games like this, give me reason to explore every corner, find collectibles, would've been so good.

Overall, if you are playing it with Move and PS4 Pro, I highly highly recommend it. I might try out Aim later to see how horrible it is.

K-row

Neo Member

In other news, I've been seeing a lot of Farpoint bundle available here and there reports, sounds like a restock for a lot of places. So check your nearest game shops asap.

It is overpriced for what you get. $15-$20 would be more acceptable. It just isn't much fun in my opinion. The tracking issues make it frustrating as well but the main issue is the bland and repetitive gameplay. The game is just lacking in so many ways.

Top Bottom